Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pureauthor posted:

Except Spider-Man and the X-Men was pretty much the best Spider-Men and X-Men related comic in the past 5 years, so if we could have more of that, that'd be gravy.

Yea, I was hoping that Wolverine and the X-men would be rotating series where some outsider comes in to help out the school; Black Widow and the X-men, Hawkeye and the X-men, Howard the Duck and the X-men etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't believe Ms. Marvel's greatest foe yet is gentrification.

Also, is there anything I should read between vol 1 and 2 or am I just good knowing that Kamala became an Avenger? E: I have been told that it was just a timeskip, which is cool.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 5, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't believe Ms. Marvel's greatest foe yet is gentrification.

Also, is there anything I should read between vol 1 and 2 or am I just good knowing that Kamala became an Avenger? E: I have been told that it was just a timeskip, which is cool.

She becomes an Avengers in Avengers #0 or ANAD Avengers #1 so reaf those as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I figured it probably would have been covered in ANAD Avengers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

THIS BOY 3D PRINTED A T-REX.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she shows up once in miles' spider-man book

miles is cool and you should read about him and his new roommate goldballs either way tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wow it's kinda lovely how Carol leverages this actual child's idolatry of her to sway her to her side.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Waffleman_ posted:

Wow it's kinda lovely how Carol leverages this actual child's idolatry of her to sway her to her side.

Celebrities and politicians do this in real life too!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carol Danvers for President is what you're saying?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

It also had, probably, the only decent Hank Pym love interest story post-Wasp, and certainly in this century. His relationship with Tigra was so great, and it actually spun out the Secret Invasion goofiness into a solid story about a former abuser and former abuse victim developing a romance that boosted both characters.

Except that was a Skrull right? :v:

The cosmic entity Eternity reveals to Pym that he is Earth's "Scientist Supreme", the scientific counterpart to Earth's Sorcerer Supreme.[57] The Norse trickster-god Loki later claims to have been posing as Eternity in order to manipulate Pym.[58] :laffo:

quote:

Wait, what?
While trying to bring back the Wasp, Pym gets into a relationship with Jocasta, another robot Ultron built. So he was boning his robot granddaughter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waffleman_ posted:

Play the cards your dealt, IMO.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

poo poo, now there's no more until next month.

Dammit, I need my fix.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Carol Danvers for President is what you're saying?

And again! This is already happening in real life!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SynthOrange posted:

Except that was a Skrull right? :v:

I actually meant their relationship after that, where Tigra comes to terms with the awful Hood bullshit and the fact that she's essentially a rape victim carrying the child of her rapist and Hank's whole "holy poo poo I've had years of my life stolen from me" trauma, with their weird and uncomfortable working relationship afterwards eventually developing into a full-blown romance that felt very real and earned.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now I gotta figure out what the read with these other 28 days of Unlimited.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Read the entirety of Hickman's Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to Secret Wars run.

Or Avengers Academy.
Or Runaways.
Or Young Avengers volume 2.
Or Nextwave.
Or Gillen's Loki run.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The original Howard the Duck

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waffleman_ posted:

Nextwave is a BSS favorite.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're liking Hellcat, Soule's She-Hulk leads right into it and only ran 12 issues

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I bet this is a really banal thing to say in 2016 but I'm not a regular of this subform, so I'm gonna say it anyway: Holy hell, Howard Chaykin's art almost made me not finish The Punisher War Journal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Everything written or drawn by Lee, Kirby, and ditko.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Everything written or drawn by Lee, Kirby, and ditko.

This is actually a very bad idea unless you're literally Steve Rogers waking up from the better part of a century on ice, or just very autistic

Just the Kirby stuff should be fine

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Read the entirety of Hickman's Dark Reign: Fantastic Four to Secret Wars run.

Or Avengers Academy.
Or Runaways.
Or Young Avengers volume 2.
Or Nextwave.
Or Gillen's Loki run.

If you have time to do it read YA volume 2 before Agent of Asgard as that was the lead in for Loki. Been a while since I read the first CE of Nextwave but my ranking would be :
Young Avengers
Loki
Runaways (unless it's the BattleWorld one, that was a bit meh)
Avengers Academy (I liked it but after Avengers Undercover I don't think any of the new characters stuck around)
Nextwave

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Waffleman_ posted:

Is Walt Simonson's run on Thor available? If so, Walt Simonson's run on Thor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Scyther posted:

I bet this is a really banal thing to say in 2016 but I'm not a regular of this subform, so I'm gonna say it anyway: Holy hell, Howard Chaykin's art almost made me not finish The Punisher War Journal.

That comic rushes to an ending with garbage art after being really solid for a long time. It sucks.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is Walt Simonson's run on Thor available? If so, Walt Simonson's run on Thor.

The most correct answer.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I was re-reading Exiles recently and noticed that the plot of one issue revolved around two universes colliding with Earth as the collision point.

HICKMAN!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Starting off with Young Avengers, would I want to read 2005 or 2013?

E: Ah, wait, volume 2, yes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you're gonna read Young Avengers volume 2 you really, really should read Gillen's Loki run beforehand, because that run of comics (while great on their own) is a really crucial component of Young Loki's journey.

I mean, it depends. It's not necessary, it works fine by itself, but I personally consider Gillen's Loki to be my favorite Marvel character ever and the work he puts in to make Loki into the character he becomes is loving incredible.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SynthOrange posted:

While trying to bring back the Wasp, Pym gets into a relationship with Jocasta, another robot Ultron built. So he was boning his robot granddaughter.

His robot granddaughter whose mind and brain patterns were based on the Wasp, his ex-wife. Not to skeeve things up any further or anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think E&C was specifically referring to a panel where the kids on the team walk in on Pym doing 'repairs' on Jocasta in the crotchal area.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

If you're gonna read Young Avengers volume 2 you really, really should read Gillen's Loki run beforehand, because that run of comics (while great on their own) is a really crucial component of Young Loki's journey.

I mean, it depends. It's not necessary, it works fine by itself, but I personally consider Gillen's Loki to be my favorite Marvel character ever and the work he puts in to make Loki into the character he becomes is loving incredible.

I'll probably do that. In the meantime, are there any prerequisites to Avengers Academy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll probably do that. In the meantime, are there any prerequisites to Avengers Academy?

Prerequisites: be ready to have a good time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

As long as you know about the registration act and the fact that for some goddamn reason Norman Osborn was put in charge of the entire program for a while, you're golden.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, yes and no. It's a direct sequel to Avengers: The Initiative, but it is standalone. A lot of people think Initiative is bad - I think it's very inconsistent, but picks up dramatically after Dark Reign (which is issue 20 of Initiative). I, personally, feel like Initiative is worth reading on its own merits, and even moreso if you want to read Academy, but it isn't like, necessary. It makes some of the character beats in Academy better and really makes Pym into a fuller character.

If you want truly standalone Teens In Crisis, read Runaways, the BKV stuff. It's completely standalone besides a light crossover in Civil War (that's totally skippable, but actually pretty good with a slight tie-in to YA volume 2 actually) and an extended cameo arc in Avengers Academy, which makes the Academy stuff better if you know who the Runaways are going in.

But yeah, Academy's a weird situation where it's a direct sequel to a previous ongoing, so you probably should read the previous ongoing but you don't have to and a lot of people don't like it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

delfin posted:

His robot granddaughter whose mind and brain patterns were based on the Wasp, his ex-wife. Not to skeeve things up any further or anything.

Also they were living in a house that was built on top of the Wasp's gigantic comatose body.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Also they were living in a house that was built on top of the Wasp's gigantic comatose body.

No, Wasp was actually in the Microverse, I forget what the Infinite Mansion was actually built on

e: the Infinite Mansion was a really neat concept and I think it's too bad they got rid of it. I mean, it's a house and effectively a teleporter!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 6, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Is that the one where they change to teen Loki or Agent of Asgard? AoA is after YA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is that the one where they change to teen Loki or Agent of Asgard? AoA is after YA.

Journey into Mystery is where young Loki's adventures were chronicled before YA V2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Starting off with Young Avengers, would I want to read 2005 or 2013?

E: Ah, wait, volume 2, yes.

Both, really? Volume 1 is pretty solid, it's mostly just maligned because Allan Heinberg basically had dibs on the characters after the series ended, but spent all his time on his TV work (and maybe his brief Wonder Woman run?) before eventually getting back to them and doing the awful Children's Crusade, which meant the YA were basically in a holding pattern for like 5 years.

• Locked thread