Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I hope it's 16:9 or 16:10.

Let's cut this 4:3 poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That would be a nice powerful little pixel. And I just hope we can get those pixel discounts like before.

This is probably a long shot but include micro SD support, please.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

CapnBry posted:

Is there any sort of sticker or skin that I can put on the back of the Pixel C to give it like a rubberized feel? I don't want to move up to buying a whole case when all I want is just some gription. It looks like Skinomi is the only brand that makes any skins for the Pixel C, but I wouldn't mind just cutting and using a skin made for an iPad Pro if it had good grip to it.
So it's already "fixed" but get the keyboard and have it tilted up and it's great.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

This is probably a long shot but include micro SD support, please.

Come on people just give up or buy something else.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If they don't give us an SD card option, will they at least give us a removable battery?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Knowing Google neither of those. Still, the battery on the N7 isn't hard to replace and given enough interal storage I would be fine if not having these two options make up for a good price at least close to the Nvidia Shield.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm pretty much guaranteed to buy a 32GB nexus 7 this holiday season, come on google :getin:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
What are Asus like bloatwise? A new nexus tablet is cool, but 7 is so small when you have a 5.7 phone, and the Zenpad 3s 10 is VERY pretty. Do they update reasonably?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Amazon shows the Shield K1 coming back in stock on the 13th, huzzah

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

So it's already "fixed" but get the keyboard and have it tilted up and it's great.
Yeah I love the hard keyboard and it works great as a stand but if I wanted to have a touchscreen laptop in my lap I'd use my touchscreen laptop. The keyboard integration with the Pixel is pretty seamless and definitely allows me to type one-paragraph emails without having to go to a full sized computer, but attaching it turns the device into a 10" slow cumbersome laptop (compared to a PC) and docks the tablet to my pants.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Basic question, what performance difference is there between a 16gb and 32gb tablet?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Performance? None. The one with more storage can store more things before running out of space, but it changes nothing if not full.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, it depends. There's nothing inherent about them that will make them faster, but the higher capacity versions of the N7 2012 were known to use significantly faster NAND.

I really hope we move away from eMMC for this generation though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Actually, it depends. There's nothing inherent about them that will make them faster, but the higher capacity versions of the N7 2012 were known to use significantly faster NAND.

I really hope we move away from eMMC for this generation though.

And move to what? It seems like it works quite well, and it's not like Intel Xpoint is going to be available for a while.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apple put NVME storage in their iPhone 6 using a combination of UFS and eMMC.

fishmech posted:

And move to what? It seems like it works quite well, and it's not like Intel Xpoint is going to be available for a while.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SlayVus posted:

Apple put NVME storage in their iPhone 6 using a combination of UFS and eMMC.

Huh, I thought UFS wasn't ready yet, the last I'd heard of it was that it was expected to come in with 2017 devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung moved to UFS for the Galaxy S6 in 2015.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/7

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon just launched the Fire HD 8 for $90

http://hothardware.com/news/amazon-sets-alexa-up-on-faster-fire-hd-8-tablet-for-90

quote:

For the first time, Amazon's Alexa voice service is headed to a tablet. It's one of the standout features of Amazon's new Fire HD 8, a budget slate built from the ground up to offer users all-day battery life, faster performance, and double the onboard storage of previous versions Fire HD tablets. The kicker here is its $90 price tag.

While not without its competitors, it's fair to say that Amazon dominates the low-cost tablet market with its highly popular Fire HD line. The new Fire HD 8 won't do anything to compromise Amazon's position in the tablet market. Just the opposite, its poised to bolster Amazon's stake by offering up to 12 hours of mixed use battery life by way of a capacious 4,750 mAh battery.

The Fire HD 8 tablet's 8-inch HD (1280x800) IPS display is powered by a quad-core 1.3GHz processor and 1.5GB of RAM, the latter of which is 50 percent more than the previous generation Fire HD 8 and will pay dividends when playing games and launching apps.

It also has 16GB or 32GB of onboard storage expandable via microSD (up to 200GB), VGA front-facing camera for Skype calls and selfies, 2-megapieexel rear camera with 720p HD video recording, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, dual stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos, and of course Alexa. It's not the most fully featured tablet out there, but for the price, it's pretty robust.

Alexa works on the Fire HD 8 just as it does on other supported products, only here the voice assistant is conjured up by long pressing the home button. You can then task Alexa with reading the news, giving weather reports, playing songs, and so forth.

Amazon is also planning to introduce Alexa to its Fire HD 10, Fire, and last year's Fire HD 8 tablets through an over-the-air software update sometime in the coming months. As for the new Fire HD 8, the 32GB model is available to pre-order now for $90 with Special Offers, or $105 without. The 32GB model runs $120 with Special Offers and $135 without. All four SKUs will ship September 21.

Tempting.

I wonder if the Fire 7 will get a refresh

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Tempting, I like the 8" size a lot more than the 7" but I think waiting to see what google announces on the 4th is the prudent thing to do.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even the Fire 7 is getting Alexa through a software update - that's pretty awesome

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm very tempted by the Fire 8 but will wait awhile longer to see what else is coming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah its a wait and see. I actually got the fire HD 10 for 80 dollars and it's lovely. Huge screen and just fine for Netflix. 8 would probably be great for just being something you carry around.

Software is nothing to write home about. I'm just waiting and seeing if Google new thing will replace my n7 I still keep around.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Got a trip to the states coming up and I'm after an eight incher for games/films. Since Nvidia are incompetent I'm thinking about the Fire 8, if anyone picks one up let me know if it's any good. I assume somebody will hack play store onto it pretty sharpish.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 10, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Daimo posted:

Got a trip to the states coming up and I'm after an eight incher for games/films. Since Nvidia are incompetent I'm thinking about the Fire 8, if anyone picks one up let me know if it's any good. I assume somebody will hack play store onto it pretty sharpish.

I'm almost sure you can use the existing sideload hack on the new fire 8. It doesn't sound like it's getting a whole overhaul of the os or anything, just adding Alexa.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I figure I could wait until October to see what the new Google 7" tablet is like, but the new 8" Fire looks ok. Would the 1280x800 8" display be ok for reading comics?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daimo posted:

IDK if they have Tinder/Grindr on Amazon, so I'm not sure your needs will be suited.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

teagone posted:

I figure I could wait until October to see what the new Google 7" tablet is like, but the new 8" Fire looks ok. Would the 1280x800 8" display be ok for reading comics?

Yeah, it's basically 720p. You could do worse.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah, it's basically 720p. You could do worse.

Cool, cool. I figure if the new Google tablet is underwhelming I'll just get the HD 8.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Daimo posted:

Since Nvidia are incompetent

Why in the world would you call Nvidea incompetent? They've currently and for 24 mo. have had the best Android tablet available? Their processors don't make sense in a phone same as Intel since they haven't done the billions of dollars worth of work that Qaulcom/Samsung have done to integrate LTE/CDMA/GMS but thier devices have been solid. They had an issue with a battery recall but the Note 7 proves that could happen to any company. I personally consider Samsung the best electronics OEM in the world (with Apple a close second).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Stick100 posted:

Why in the world would you call Nvidea incompetent? They've currently and for 24 mo. have had the best Android tablet available? Their processors don't make sense in a phone same as Intel since they haven't done the billions of dollars worth of work that Qaulcom/Samsung have done to integrate LTE/CDMA/GMS but thier devices have been solid. They had an issue with a battery recall but the Note 7 proves that could happen to any company. I personally consider Samsung the best electronics OEM in the world (with Apple a close second).

The Nvidia Shield tablet is trash, as is the entire Tegra line. Tegras aren't fit to be melted down into Harley-Davidson-branded shot glasses.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Or, it's a perfectly useable highish end android tablet at a reasonable price.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The later tetras are perfectly fine chips when the battery use doesn't matter so much.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Maybe it's just me but when supply can't meet demand...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Daimo posted:

Maybe it's just me but when supply can't meet demand...

Because they've decided not to bother? Pretty sure they were cheap because NVidia wasn't really making a profit, but was trying to use them to promote GameStream as a platform. That didn't pan out all that successfully, so NVidia's clearly rethinking their tablet plans.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

No, if they decide they can't be arsed anymore they should just say and stop advertising it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Shield has basically been the best Android tablet at its size since the time it was released.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What's currently the best ~8" 16:10 tablet with an AMOLED display? Is there one?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Best 8 inch tablet? Shield.

Best Android tablet? Pixel.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

^

Thermopyle posted:

The Shield has basically been the best Android tablet at its size since the time it was released.

I think I'm allowed to be pissed I can't get one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Daimo posted:

^

I think I'm allowed to be pissed I can't get one now.

How many devices are still being manufactured two years after their release date?