Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Once is making a point, two is pushing it, but 3?

This came up some years back on Byrne's forum and he was adamant that since black people are allowed to say it to each other than it was fine for him to say it as well. It didn't go over well and something like 50 people were banned from his board for calling him out or agreeing that he was as a racist rear end in a top hat if he used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People call out Byrne for being a dick, get banned, the world turns. At this point it'd be quicker to list things Bryne hasn't been a dick about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

This came up some years back on Byrne's forum and he was adamant that since black people are allowed to say it to each other than it was fine for him to say it as well. It didn't go over well and something like 50 people were banned from his board for calling him out or agreeing that he was as a racist rear end in a top hat if he used it.

That is kind of missing the point of those panels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is kind of missing the point of those panels.

I don't think he was dense enough to miss the point of the use there, he was just saying that since some people were allowed to say then there was no reason he couldn't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

That wasn't even the only time!

"But most of all, these words will help us to Make America Great Again."

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

WickedHate posted:

The Rhino was extremely poorly handled all around. Shocker is great for these kinds of small cameos. Even if he only appears in like, one frame of a montage, that's his thing nowadays. A quick reminder that between the alien parasites and revenge crusades, sometimes Spider-Man deals with plain ol'supercriminals.

Apparently he gets an upgraded suit at some point in the movie, which is likely part of how Tinkerer comes into play. Introducing Tinkerer as a source for bad guy tech was a good idea to avoid everything being connected to Oscorp again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

WickedHate posted:

The Rhino was extremely poorly handled all around. Shocker is great for these kinds of small cameos. Even if he only appears in like, one frame of a montage, that's his thing nowadays. A quick reminder that between the alien parasites and revenge crusades, sometimes Spider-Man deals with plain ol'supercriminals.

I disagree and think the shocker and the vulture are both good classic villains who are not too overpowered or crazy to go up against an inexperienced Spider-Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It will be nice to see a superhero that fights against bank robbers and stuff, and not end of the world events.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I know it is crazy, but I've always though spider-man would be best as a tv show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

It will be nice to see a superhero that fights against bank robbers and stuff, and not end of the world events.

The Raimi films were more or less like that. Personal stakes. I guess Ock's machine was the biggest threat although he wasn't trying to blow the city up maliciously.

Funny when you think that each of the Raimi films had Spider-Man fighting robbers. Uncle Ben's killer, Dr. Octopus himself, those guys in the car Spider-Man stops that make him late to the play, Sandman robbing the armoured truck.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 6, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Mr Hootington posted:

I know it is crazy, but I've always though spider-man would be best as a tv show.
It's not crazy, it's how the character (and his large supporting cast) works best - serialized soap opera.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I prefer animated tv shows since I feel like those have generally matched what comics are like the best.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a netflix spider-man would be awesome

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
When I said soap opera, I didn't necessarily mean only live-action. Animation definitely serves the characters best (particularly the costumes). Case in point: Des Taylor's art (http://despop.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=408) for which I would give a lung to see turned into a serialized Netflix-quality cartoon.

With that said, ever since Superman '78 you can't help people's preference to see live-action superheroes. I'd prefer animation, but that genie's never going back in the bottle. And there is something almost magical seeing an outfit or a location or other elements of the character in a movie, as if it almost real.

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 6, 2016

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Dacap posted:

Apparently he gets an upgraded suit at some point in the movie, which is likely part of how Tinkerer comes into play. Introducing Tinkerer as a source for bad guy tech was a good idea to avoid everything being connected to Oscorp again.

If this is true what's the chances of a Secret War movie adaptation. It's got the Netflix guys and the film guys and wolverine won't be missed from the roster.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been kinda lukewarm on the Marvel Netflix stuff to be honest. Daredevil season 1 was ok, but I can't get into season 2 at all. Took me three tries to get through Jessica Jones because I kept getting bored.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Popeahuntis posted:

If this is true what's the chances of a Secret War movie adaptation. It's got the Netflix guys and the film guys and wolverine won't be missed from the roster.

Still probably 0. It's looking like the Netflix characters exist in their own bubble in the same way as AoS.

The shows will reference the films occasionally but it doesn't go the other way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

site posted:

a netflix spider-man would be awesome

In the wake of the current Netflix stuff, I'm hard-pressed to name a superhero that wouldn't be awesome in a Netflix television show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

In the wake of the current Netflix stuff, I'm hard-pressed to name a superhero that wouldn't be awesome in a Netflix television show.

The Black Bomber?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

SonicRulez posted:

Forbush Man.

Actually nevermind, that would probably rule.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been kinda lukewarm on the Marvel Netflix stuff to be honest. Daredevil season 1 was ok, but I can't get into season 2 at all. Took me three tries to get through Jessica Jones because I kept getting bored.

Jessica Jones would have been a really great 8 episode series, they padded it out way too much

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hope he's riding the Shockermobile too

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
You can't make a Netflix show out of superheroes that require meaningful CGI or elaborate sets, it's too expensive. Hence why every Netflix Marvel show is about relatively ho-hum street-level heroes.

Well I guess you could, but it would look like a tacky CW show and nobody wants that.

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 6, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

I will never, ever forgive Singer for what they did to Rogue in the movies. God drat, hey lets take who is probably the most popular at the time female X-men and just make her a plot device, and then just have her mope around for 2 more movies.
They could have just hired some sexy chick and had her say "SUGAH" all the time and had her been their tank-like with 0 relevance to the plot or character growth.

It's pretty clear that the story they wanted to tell with her was done in one, but they kept the character around because of name recognition. I'm kind of glad they don't force her to be plot relevant too much in the sequels (unlike Storm...)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

It's pretty clear that the story they wanted to tell with her was done in one, but they kept the character around because of name recognition. I'm kind of glad they don't force her to be plot relevant too much in the sequels (unlike Storm...)

That was more Halle Berry being a big name than Storm being a popular character at that point. And Halle Berry was beyond awful in those movies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I prefer animated tv shows since I feel like those have generally matched what comics are like the best.

Well yes, certainly, but people just enjoy seeing live-action stuff

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was more Halle Berry being a big name than Storm being a popular character at that point. And Halle Berry was beyond awful in those movies.

Story I've heard is that she wasn't originally planning on coming back for X3 because she expected that Catwoman would make her the face of the next big superhero franchise.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Story I've heard is that she wasn't originally planning on coming back for X3 because she expected that Catwoman would make her the face of the next big superhero franchise.

:chloe:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would probably have given up on JJ except for Kilgrave/Tenant who was awesome. I also am not really looking forward to DD3 or JJ2, I really think there's enough suitable Marvel heroes to have at most 1, maybe two seasons before leaving them and moving onto another hero.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I hope JJ2 works out because it'd be nice to have some more women superheroes with starring roles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season 2 were great (except when the Hand stuff kicked into high gear, that poo poo got lame).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Every episode of Daredevil season 2 was better than the previous one, until the 12th and 13th episodes where the show didn't seem to know how it wanted to end and stalled out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

kaesarsosei posted:

I would probably have given up on JJ except for Kilgrave/Tenant who was awesome. I also am not really looking forward to DD3 or JJ2, I really think there's enough suitable Marvel heroes to have at most 1, maybe two seasons before leaving them and moving onto another hero.

I like (most of) the cast of JJ, but it felt like a huge chunk of the story was just filler. If it had just been JJ dealing with Kilgrave and hanging with Luke it would have been a much stronger season. I couldn't force myself to care about her talk show host friend or the dumb cop who was apparently supposed to be Nuke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Every episode of Daredevil season 2 was better than the previous one, until the 12th and 13th episodes where the show didn't seem to know how it wanted to end and stalled out.

That final fight on the rooftop REALLY felt like one of the leads had a prior engagement and they had to shoot it all in 2 hours.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I think all the Marvel Netflix shows would have been improved by cutting the number of episodes down to 10 or so. JJ especially.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

I think all the Marvel Netflix shows would have been improved by cutting the number of episodes down to 10 or so. JJ especially.

And/or be more flexible with the episode length. No reason why an episode that needed it couldn't be ninety minutes. There's no reason to act like a TV show if it's not actually filling a time slot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dacap posted:

Yeah this is the way Bendis treated the Shocker in the Ultimate Universe, constant joke for a panel or two, then it suddenly changes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dacap posted:

Agreed...that and not taking the chance to off that one Jessica Jones neighbor character who had an unhealthy relationship with her brother

DD Season 2 was great with the Punisher stuff and much less so with the Hand. They clearly didn't figure out what they actually wanted as a goal in NYC because it is incredibly murky.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Lobok posted:

And/or be more flexible with the episode length. No reason why an episode that needed it couldn't be ninety minutes. There's no reason to act like a TV show if it's not actually filling a time slot.

Netflix is usually pretty flexible this way. Lots of Netflix shows have about a 3-10 minute variance in length episode to episode with a longer finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dacap posted:

Netflix is usually pretty flexible this way. Lots of Netflix shows have about a 3-10 minute variance in length episode to episode with a longer finale.

I was pleasantly surprised that stranger things was not only just 8 episodes, but each episode varied anywhere from 40 minutes to a full hour depending on the needs of the story. I'm hoping this means we'll see more variety than the 13 ep 50min standard the marvel shows have been adhering to so far.

• Locked thread