Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks guys

I decided to upgrade my stools to dining chairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The way I see it, the best thing to do when it comes to dealing with underground infestations is to design all your rooms to incorporate multiple turrets. :getin:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Is there a mod that moderately increases recruit chances? It's horrendously low right now

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Famethrowa posted:

Is there a mod that moderately increases recruit chances? It's horrendously low right now

Hospitality helps if only because it gives a million more things for your talking person to do so their skill goes up faster.

Also make your prisons the prettiest rooms in the colony

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Wow, how did I end up in this game

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Azhais posted:

Hospitality helps if only because it gives a million more things for your talking person to do so their skill goes up faster.

Also make your prisons the prettiest rooms in the colony

See, that's bizarre to me. I had them in a dark unheated room, and executed their comrades.

Seems like good motivation to sign up for me :v:

Tamayachi posted:

He's an idea guy, OK?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tamayachi posted:

"Jogger"? Yeah, right.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I would put that guy in your colony just to have a useless pawn do absolutely nothing except eat all your food and smoke all your smokeleaf.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Can you get someone to OD on weedsmokeleaf?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Croccers posted:

Can you get someone to OD on weedsmokeleaf?

that's impossible, it comes from the grooooound man.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Well, it's not like muffalo are very smart to begin with...

Not pictured: Earlier I had to rush in to save as much of my booze as possible from my horde of loving juvenile chickens swarming it. Friggin' delinquents.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The important thing to remember if you're going to be keeping animals around is to immediately make an animal area that doesn't include your freezer/food storage areas and your fields. They'll gladly go and eat half a dozen 99% grown stalks of corn for lunch, or drink themselves to death, or avail themselves of all your extravagant meals.

Make kibble and a kibble storage area near your animal beds, plant some haygrass (and leave it in their allowed area if you want, doesn't matter as much as people food). Kibble lasts forever, hay lasts like a year under a roof, so it's easy to just make a barn with everything your animals need

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do the new simple temperature coolers even work? I sat three in a rather small space, and it's only 5 degrees cooler than outside, and then only in the daytime :confused:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They only cool to 15 degrees Celsius or something. They're not for refrigerating, just surviving a heat wave.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Famethrowa posted:

that's impossible, it comes from the grooooound man.

i had an 80 year old colonist that kept collapsing after smoking his evening smokeleaf and who needed to be rescued and hauled back to bed every night. dunno what that was about but I liked to think he just got too stoned to move

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Hrmm, maybe hatching chicken eggs indiscriminately is a bad idea.

Nah.

Bonus interspecies sex caught on film:

edit: Uhhhh, so I gave this mega sloth brain damage and only made it awesome.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 6, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i had an 80 year old colonist that kept collapsing after smoking his evening smokeleaf and who needed to be rescued and hauled back to bed every night. dunno what that was about but I liked to think he just got too stoned to move
I had someone with a peg-leg (That was rather sad about that) so when he went to get his designated happy smoke he'd fall down and need a rescue. I made one of the dogs I had his Follower so they could drag him to the Medbay every day.
I'm guessing it's the hit to Movement that knocks them over?

Croccers fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 6, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
We now have simulated Space Couchlock. This game truly keeps on giving!

Squeegy posted:

They only cool to 15 degrees Celsius or something. They're not for refrigerating, just surviving a heat wave.

Aw man, that bites. Thanks!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pumpkinreaper posted:

That's amazing. Like the guy who got suffered brain damage from a mugging and became a math genius

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hrmm, maybe hatching chicken eggs indiscriminately is a bad idea.

Nah.

I just culled 15 juvenile turkeys for meat and still have 13 breeder adults and 60some chicks, no such thing (I have like 14k hay stockpiled please send help)

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Archenteron posted:

I just culled 15 juvenile turkeys for meat and still have 13 breeder adults and 60some chicks, no such thing (I have like 14k hay stockpiled please send help)

Yeah, right now I'm seeing how far I can take this. I'm currently at roughly 30-40 adults and around 100 juvies/chicks with about 40 more fertilized eggs on the way. It's pretty manageable when you let them all forage in the grass outside your colony and accept that one will occasionally get eaten by a predator. They make surprisingly good distractions during raids too, half of one followed the trail of sleeping chickens while the other half assaulted my front door and got mowed down. 20 chickens lost vs 10+ dead raiders +2 captured ones out of the 30 or so that attacked me.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
I keep one or two roosters and cull the male chicks. It's a hilarious idea though to keep a chicken grazing zone for male chicks near the entrance to the killbox to delay raiders. Chicken defenses, hmm...

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Anyone else have an issue with visitors MINING THROUGH MY GODDAMN WALLS LIKE SAPPERS!?!?!?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That hospitality mod is nice, but sometimes its also pretty :wtc:

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Mein Eyes! posted:

I keep one or two roosters and cull the male chicks. It's a hilarious idea though to keep a chicken grazing zone for male chicks near the entrance to the killbox to delay raiders. Chicken defenses, hmm...

Purposefully breed an army of them and send them out offensively as they round the corner. Let the chickens remember their raptor heritage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I put some mines in a chokepoint it they managed to kill like 30 tribesmen in one go. :stare:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SoapyTarantula posted:

Once they left me a giant pile of fertilised cobra eggs that I forgot to remove from the dining room before they hatched.

They weren't the cause of that colony's collapse, but all of them hatching and biting the poo poo out of someone in the middle of a tantrum spiral probably didn't help.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Making the prison the most beautiful room in the colony still cracks me up

"Oh wow, your colony is so fabulous! Sure, I'll join up with you!"

"Awesome, okay so here is your dark, dirt-floored room. Dinner consists of eating nutrient paste standing up. You will be assigned to tame Boomalopes"

"Wait."

SoapyTarantula posted:

[quote="ToxicFrog" post="463948558"]
Once they left me a giant pile of fertilised cobra eggs that I forgot to remove from the dining room before they hatched.

They weren't the cause of that colony's collapse, but all of them hatching and biting the poo poo out of someone in the middle of a tantrum spiral probably didn't help.

This is awesome

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mulatto Butts posted:

white man's hardship? guess he went to stanford

:pedo: :ohdear:

:stonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Holy loving poo poo you can actually do that? I didn't know that was a feature?!

Well I guess I'm gonna have to try shooting all my crappy colonists in the head to see if I can improve them!

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Making the prison the most beautiful room in the colony still cracks me up

"Oh wow, your colony is so fabulous! Sure, I'll join up with you!"

"Awesome, okay so here is your dark, dirt-floored room. Dinner consists of eating nutrient paste standing up. You will be assigned to tame Boomalopes"

"Wait."

"Hi, have you reconsidered joining our colony yet? I ask only because we really need this cell to store machineguns, so if you don't we're going to harvest all your organs and then render you down to make kibble for our pack of wolves. If you join, however, you get an infinite supply of free weed, 3 square meals a day, top notch medical care, free clothes and a climate-controlled room. We heard you like arts and crafts, so we're perfectly willing to let you make statues all day every day, if you like. And now's a good time to join, because we just built a little bar, free beer, billiards and horseshoes for everyone!"

"Well that sounds good dude, but someone left a bit of builder's rubble in the corner of this cell and my current hat is a bit tattered, so I'll take the surgery and execution please."

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
It'd be really nice if you could ration meals during lean times instead of your colonists all going full steam ahead on eating themselves to eventual starvation. Something to extend the relatively quick descent from well fed to dying of extreme malnutrition would be great.

E; I guess you could restrict everyone to the home zone and then un-home the food storage, but what a pain in the rear end.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I had a 90+ year old Min with frail, bad back, asthma, cataracts, dementia and alzheimer's join the colony as a wanderer. The only labours she could do were Social and Artistic. I still kept her around.

She's not allowed in the smokeleaf stash because it instantly knocks her right the gently caress out.

edit: i misremembered about her skills but i wasn't too far off honestly

Elth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 6, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's really sad to see celebrities fall so hard

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

NatasDog posted:

It'd be really nice if you could ration meals during lean times instead of your colonists all going full steam ahead on eating themselves to eventual starvation. Something to extend the relatively quick descent from well fed to dying of extreme malnutrition would be great.

E; I guess you could restrict everyone to the home zone and then un-home the food storage, but what a pain in the rear end.

It's surprising that there's a drug schedule built into the game, but not even a mod that does a meal schedule.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Elth posted:

I had a 90+ year old Min with frail, bad back, asthma, cataracts, dementia and alzheimer's join the colony as a wanderer. The only labours she could do were Social and Artistic. I still kept her around.

She's not allowed in the smokeleaf stash because it instantly knocks her right the gently caress out.

edit: i misremembered about her skills but i wasn't too far off honestly

I love the person with alzheimers and dementia wandering around carrying grenades.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Captain Ironblood posted:

It's surprising that there's a drug schedule built into the game, but not even a mod that does a meal schedule.

If there were a :thatsrimworld: smiley, it would belong here.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Captain Ironblood posted:

There's also not a mod that switches out clothing for heat waves/seasons either (just strip down, pawns, jeez)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Luciferium is a hell of a drug. I just had one of my best dudes go berserk from withdrawal -- I had no access to it and no away to make it -- and he immediately stormed past 2 other pawns to go stab a prisoner in the neck.

This would sort of be a blessing in disguise if it weren't for the fact that the prisoner was the berserker's own father, recently come down on a pod. I hadn't even had a chance to try and recruit him yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's also not a mod that switches out clothing for heat waves/seasons either (just strip down, pawns, jeez)

Outfitter is supposed to do that, but I've had less than great luck with it with Medieval enabled. I had three pawns drop during a heat wave because they just refused to take their fancy winter cloaks off before I realized what was going on.

E; That said it was doing fine with the vanilla clothing, swapping cowboy hats for tuques and dusters for parkas as applicable.