Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about you, but my house contains about a dozen battery-powered devices that make light. And that's not even including actual torches.

My apartment doesn't. I can use the back-light on my cell phone to walk around without tripping on sofas and such-like but it doesn't provide enough light to actually do anything. Torches, of course, are great for finding your way but they're not really any good as lighting fixtures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

We had a blackout recently, and the Internet went out. It was terrible.

It was great for the forums, though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That's all fine and good but I'm fairly sure you can't eat your battery powered devices off the floor like an animal, you piece of poo poo. Butter candles are clearly superior. I bet you could even work a chopstick in there if you didn't have any TP.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

A animal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Over the weekend I was sitting around my friend's fire pit when I remembered an episode of Survivorman. I can personally tell you that Doritos burn very slowly and I imagine would be very effective for a match replacement.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cheeotes burn like motherfuckers. Calories are just how good something is at heating a gram of water a degree Celsius, so a dried greasy high calorie snack will do in place of a match. I'm not sure what determines how long it will burn though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Warbird posted:

Cheeotes burn like motherfuckers. Calories are just how good something is at heating a gram of water a degree Celsius, so a dried greasy high calorie snack will do in place of a match. I'm not sure what determines how long it will burn though.

Yeah, we tried a cheeto and a wheat thin too. Wheat Thins are not good snacks for emergency fire

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Plenty calories in a jug of gasoline I hear.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
In the event of an emergency, burn your food! Walla!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

No-one should appropriate chopsticks because they are objectively inferior to cutlery in every way.

I'd like to see you eat cheetos with a knife and fork.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

You would not like to do that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

You would not like to do that.

You don't know my fetishes, man.

Seriously, they're out of control, please help :(

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Chopsticks should only be used to eat sushi, cheetos and small pickles out of a jar.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Master Twig posted:

Chopsticks should only be used to eat sushi

Wow, how uneducated. Here's a video to show you all the true facts about sushi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDL8yu34fz0&t=228s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In the event of an emergency, burn your food! Walla!

I think the valiant sacrifice of one cheeto to start a fire is good and cool. Or you could just go back downstairs to the basement where everything is safe

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

My apartment doesn't. I can use the back-light on my cell phone to walk around without tripping on sofas and such-like but it doesn't provide enough light to actually do anything. Torches, of course, are great for finding your way but they're not really any good as lighting fixtures.

Funnily enough, last time we had a blackout I actually used a life hack that worked. Take a bottle or gallon of water, put a flashlight next to it (you can just lay it down next to the water), it reflects light and basically becomes a lantern. But then again, that's the opposite of what this thread is about.

So instead I drilled a hole in the side of my water jug and put a sponge in there and tied the whole thing up with a bread clip.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Funnily enough, last time we had a blackout I actually used a life hack that worked. Take a bottle or gallon of water, put a flashlight next to it (you can just lay it down next to the water), it reflects light and basically becomes a lantern. But then again, that's the opposite of what this thread is about.

So instead I drilled a hole in the side of my water jug and put a sponge in there and tied the whole thing up with a bread clip.

Or... just light a few candles. (Also since I never buy soft drinks* for myself, I very seldom have any empty clear bottles around the house. I supposed I could get some for just that purposes. Or I could keep some candles.)

*) I do realize I'm very much in the minority here on this forum.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dareon posted:

You can eat cheetos with a spoon. Just saying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

You can eat cheetos with a spoon. Just saying.

You can eat almost anything except näkkileipä with a spoon.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

Or... just light a few candles. (Also since I never buy soft drinks* for myself, I very seldom have any empty clear bottles around the house. I supposed I could get some for just that purposes. Or I could keep some candles.)

A bottle of water smugass.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've never tried eating your mom with a spoon, good to know

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't have to be soda. Plastic milk jugs or a clear glass would do the same thing. It gives way more light all over the room than candles do.

Jerry Cotton posted:

A spoon is just a small shovel. I eat butter with a trowel (when I'm not using it as a candle).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sentient Data posted:

And if the power is out for an extended period of time, it's the perfect opportunity to start freezing something
I've kept any unopened sticks of butter in the freezer for my entire adult life, though?

I mean, that's not the stupid part.

non-stupid lifehack: keep butter (especially unsalted) in the freezer so it never goes rancid

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was trying to find other people who shared my view on spoons when I found this diagnosis hack instead. Truly a spoon is the greatest modern invention.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Doesn't have to be soda. Plastic milk jugs or a clear glass would do the same thing. It gives way more light all over the room than candles do.

The only thing sold in clear bottles here are soft drinks. Or water, of course, but since I use the ultimate LIFE HACK of paying proper taxes (i.e. tap water is potable) and living in an area actually fit for human habitation* (i.e. there's plenty of water to pump through said tap) I never have to buy bottled water.

* This life hack of course was used by my ancestors.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

FFT posted:

I've kept any unopened sticks of butter in the freezer for my entire adult life, though?

I mean, that's not the stupid part.

non-stupid lifehack: keep butter (especially unsalted) in the freezer so it never goes rancid

That's almost weirder than when I opened my friend's fridge to grab a drink and found a plastic tub full of batteries.

Lifehack, put things places they don't need to go so they'll last longer, probably?!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Life hack: keep your batteries in the freezer so they hurt more when you whip them at someone's head.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Crust First posted:

That's almost weirder than when I opened my friend's fridge to grab a drink and found a plastic tub full of batteries.

Lifehack, put things places they don't need to go so they'll last longer, probably?!
Batteries spoil over time due to an inevitable chemical reaction. All chemical reactions are slowed by reducing the temperature, exponentially even. Thus refrigerating or freezing your batteries can measurably extend their shelf life.

Its kind of more useful for lithium batteries unless you buy those big box store batteries and have to use 200 in 10 years.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

zedprime posted:

I was trying to find other people who shared my view on spoons when I found this diagnosis hack instead. Truly a spoon is the greatest modern invention.

Hahaha, that test just tells whether you've been using mouthwash and brushing your teeth properly. There's no correlation between mouth bacteria and anything other than the rest of your mouth. Not to mention that 60 seconds isn't long enough to culture anything.

On a related note, you can eat näkkileipä with a spoon, it's just crackers man. Sure it's a little awkward, but anything that can be cut or broken into bite size pieces can be eaten with a spoon... So, anything that humans eat and more than a few things they don't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Butter goes rancid but it doesn't really go off big time stylee because it doesn't have much water, so mold can't really grow on it. I forgot a stick (why isn't it a bar by the way?) of butter on top of the fridge for four days in Summer and under the discoloured and nasty layer, which was about a centimeter thick, it was fine. Didn't taste or smell the nasty-looking bit so it being rancid was just an educated guess.

I was mostly surprised the whole thing hadn't melted :shrug:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the valiant sacrifice of one cheeto to start a fire is good and cool. Or you could just go back downstairs to the basement where everything is safe

Yes, I'm afraid to go outside and burn snacks, you're so brave :allears:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

The only thing sold in clear bottles here are soft drinks. Or water, of course, but since I use the ultimate LIFE HACK of paying proper taxes (i.e. tap water is potable) and living in an area actually fit for human habitation* (i.e. there's plenty of water to pump through said tap) I never have to buy bottled water.

Do you ever post about anything but your desperate need to feel better than other people. Literally link me one post where you weren't just making GBS threads your insecurities on the floor and rolling around in them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LIFE HACK: The forums have an ignore function you loving bucket.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

You seem extremely triggered. Is it because you couldn't find one?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've used white gas to get soggy wood burning in a blizzard and it worked very well. No cheetos required.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

You don't want clear anyway, translucent works best for scattering the light. I've seen it done with a white plastic bag or bucket too. Anything that will scatter a narrow beam into a glowy blob.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lifehack: Don't take poo poo so personal. Also, enjoy a light non serious comedy thread. Barring that:

Jerry Cotton posted:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Butter goes rancid but it doesn't really go off big time stylee because it doesn't have much water, so mold can't really grow on it. I forgot a stick (why isn't it a bar by the way?) of butter on top of the fridge for four days in Summer and under the discoloured and nasty layer, which was about a centimeter thick, it was fine. Didn't taste or smell the nasty-looking bit so it being rancid was just an educated guess.

I was mostly surprised the whole thing hadn't melted :shrug:

Have you never heard of a butter dish?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Karate Bastard posted:

In my elementary cigarettes were banned so we had to make do with rolled up paper tubes.

When I was a kid, smokers had to walk across the street instead of smoking behind the smoking shed. Only underage smokers got the shed privileges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

Have you never heard of a butter dish?

Is that, like, an ugly dish in a set of nice looking dishes?