Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm. Stumbled across this earlier. Would have been an interesting take.

I like that, but if they were doing colored uniforms, it would have been a good jumping off point to change command to red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Put some wedge caps on Bones and Spock, they look naked in blue wool jackets without proper headdress :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tunicate posted:

They got shrunk down like in that episode where the defiant got tiny.

Little?

oh wait you said tiny

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well it's not bad exactly but I don't like comedy episodes of things for the most part and when I watch in order (which why wouldn't you?) it feels like the metaplot is getting stalled far too much about that point

Granted, but on the other hand

YERRRR OUTTA HERE!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DS9 really needed a version of Sleeping in Light

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Knormal posted:

To nitpick another aspect of this clip, I always thought it was a little ridiculous they let two crewmembers take one of the station's three runabouts on a vacation for a week. On TNG at least the Enterprise had an unknown capacity of shuttles to pull from, DS9 is established as only having three runabouts.
I love how after getting burned by lazy writing on Voyager, they established on Enterprise visually that the NX class has exactly 2 shuttles, and space for exactly 2 shuttles.

However, they never explain where the shuttles are when Archer addresses everyone in the shuttlebay.

"Crewman Smith and Johnson: Go fly around for 10 minutes while the Captain takes the time to explain our mission. We'll tell you what he said later"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course, "remote control" is apparently one of those concepts that you just don't want to bring up when writing Treknobabble.

Same with "just copy the data, and don't delete the original until the copy is verified"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Computer, create a negatively curved 4-dimensional non-euclidian space. And hot dogs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember seeing a count of how many torpedoes Voyager fired and it was like three times the number they had.

I can buy them manufacturing more torpedoes more easily than building that many shuttles though. Except they made a big deal about what resources they had at the beginning, and never showed anything like converting part of the ship into a manufacturing lab to make parts and whatever.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Any excuse to watch this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
https://youtu.be/PIGxMENwq1k

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Worf is one of my favorite characters because he's a huge loving weeaboo. He's always talking about how Klingons act and live, but he only was a Klingon until age 5. His parents were killed and he moved in with humans when he was Kindergarten aged. He basically learned to be a Klingon from reading books, and his idea of Klingon honor is highly idealized because actual Klingons barely give a poo poo about actual honor and would just as soon shoot you in the back as face you in hand to hand for an honorable death. It colors all of Worf's scenes when you realize he's basically that kid in high school that talked up how superior and beautiful the Japanese culture is compared to the lovely American one.

He gets better, but in TNG it's downright hilarious.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I love how after getting burned by lazy writing on Voyager, they established on Enterprise visually that the NX class has exactly 2 shuttles, and space for exactly 2 shuttles.

However, they never explain where the shuttles are when Archer addresses everyone in the shuttlebay.

"Crewman Smith and Johnson: Go fly around for 10 minutes while the Captain takes the time to explain our mission. We'll tell you what he said later"

Park them outside, like every time anyone that has ever owned a garage does when they need the garage for something other than car storage?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sash! posted:

Park them outside, like every time anyone that has ever owned a garage does when they need the garage for something other than car storage?

Maybe they stuck the shuttles in the same place that Voyager kept the Delta Flyer and Neelix's ship.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Even by the mid-22nd century, humanity had made great strides in cloud storage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they keep Neelix's ship?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah I'm pretty sure he takes it out on the episode where he goes to live with that crazy-remote colony of Talaxians.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mortanis posted:

Worf is one of my favorite characters because he's a huge loving weeaboo. He's always talking about how Klingons act and live, but he only was a Klingon until age 5. His parents were killed and he moved in with humans when he was Kindergarten aged. He basically learned to be a Klingon from reading books, and his idea of Klingon honor is highly idealized because actual Klingons barely give a poo poo about actual honor and would just as soon shoot you in the back as face you in hand to hand for an honorable death. It colors all of Worf's scenes when you realize he's basically that kid in high school that talked up how superior and beautiful the Japanese culture is compared to the lovely American one.

He gets better, but in TNG it's downright hilarious.

What's even better is how every time Worf interacts with actual Klingons they treat him like a loving weirdo who doesn't know the first thing about being Klingon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe they stuck the shuttles in the same place that Voyager kept the Delta Flyer and Neelix's ship.

I reason that they gutted the aeroshuttle's parts to make the Delta Flyer and just left the underside plate in place. Which is a tragedy because the Aeroshuttle was basically a runabout and Voyager could really have used one of those.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I feel like there's a little shop off to the side for shuttlepods when they really gotta tear them apart. Can't really do complicated maintenance in a room you open to space on the regular. Like, when they found that hosed up tardis, I don't think they were in the shuttlebay at all.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
ENT's "The Andorian Incident" sure did end with a biggest "gently caress you" about the Vulcans since "Take Me Out to the Holosuite." What a bunch of lying, conniving, self-righteous space elves.

Also: Jeffery Combs as one of the Andorians. Hell yeah.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I reason that they gutted the aeroshuttle's parts to make the Delta Flyer and just left the underside plate in place. Which is a tragedy because the Aeroshuttle was basically a runabout and Voyager could really have used one of those.

Somebody at Trek clearly saw way too much Voltron and had this fascination with ships that come apart into multiple ships, or weird, custom ships that only dock to one other specific ship, when it makes no logistical sense. "Hey, why don't we make the shuttle bay bigger so we can carry a runabout?" "Nawh, let's custom design a ship that can only be used in this one particular other ship...."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why didn't they use it? Were they not allowed to use the Runabout set from DS9?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Railing Kill posted:

ENT's "The Andorian Incident" sure did end with a biggest "gently caress you" about the Vulcans since "Take Me Out to the Holosuite." What a bunch of lying, conniving, self-righteous space elves.

You ain't seen nothing yet mate. There's several more gently caress the Vulcans episodes to go. I really like that episode though, Archer and his crew are held hostage by weird blue people he's never seen before. One of them makes rapish comments about his science officer, and they beat him across a room twice. And he still sides with them over his own allies because they committed the crime of spying on a hostile power that their in some weird sort of cold war with.

I don't want to spoil anything for you but that there's a follow up to this episode and it wants the audience to hate the Vulcans for retaliating, but their retaliation is the mildest form of diplomatic protest ever.

Also Andorian Combs was going to be a series regular when Enterprise got cancelled.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Railing Kill posted:

Jeffrey Combs as THE Andorian of all Andorians, Pink Skin.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

And he still sides with them over his own allies because they committed the crime of spying on a hostile power that their in some weird sort of cold war with.

I thought it was more the abuse of trust of putting a surveillance station inside their supposedly innocent holy site. The Andorians respected the Vulcan holy site, and the Vulcans took advantage of them.

It's like shipping arms in marked medical vehicles during a war. Nothing wrong with militaries shipping arms per se, but when you abuse an established trust to do it...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The Andorians did not respect the holy site at all, sending armed troops into a church to hold the clergy hostage and then beating and threatening dome of them isn't respectful. They were lucky that Archer stumbled upon to conspiracy and validated their suspicions. If you want to take a conventions of war line then even though the episode didn't because we don't know what the conventions and treaties between the two are, it doesn't change anything because torturing prisoners is a far greater violation then hiding a reconnaissance base.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I also just got to The Andorian Incident last night. Cooooombs yes. Also loving Vulcans.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Platonicsolid posted:

Somebody at Trek clearly saw way too much Voltron and had this fascination with ships that come apart into multiple ships, or weird, custom ships that only dock to one other specific ship, when it makes no logistical sense. "Hey, why don't we make the shuttle bay bigger so we can carry a runabout?" "Nawh, let's custom design a ship that can only be used in this one particular other ship...."

It was never just one person. Gene Roddenberry had the "battle section" concept initially (or maybe it was David Gerrold?), and Andrew Probert implemented it on the Enterprise-D design. Roddenberry was dead by the time Voyager's Message In A Bottle was produced, and I'm pretty sure Rick Sternbach was the guy who designed the Prometheus, but it probably was one of the writers and/or producers who came up with the "multi-vector assault mode" thing in the first place.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It was never just one person. Gene Roddenberry had the "battle section" concept initially (or maybe it was David Gerrold?)

I'm positive that there's some memo out there, circa Original Series, in which Roddenberry details the Enterprise's ability to separate its saucer. They just never had the money to make it happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This "breaking the ice" episode is loving stupid. How does this tiny comet have enough gravity that a shuttlepod can't even take off? They should be able to just jump off up to Enterprise.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Baka-nin posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet mate. There's several more gently caress the Vulcans episodes to go. I really like that episode though, Archer and his crew are held hostage by weird blue people he's never seen before. One of them makes rapish comments about his science officer, and they beat him across a room twice. And he still sides with them over his own allies because they committed the crime of spying on a hostile power that their in some weird sort of cold war with.

I don't want to spoil anything for you but that there's a follow up to this episode and it wants the audience to hate the Vulcans for retaliating, but their retaliation is the mildest form of diplomatic protest ever.

Also Andorian Combs was going to be a series regular when Enterprise got cancelled.

What the Vulcans did is not unlike what the Russians did/are doing in Crimea: disguising arms shipments as humanitarian aid. It's just a step up from using literal human shields, as the Assad regime does in Syria currently. In short, it is a bad move that's been done for ages, and its evil as hell.

Then again, the Andorians are apparently routinely violating that space on a regular basis, so good job Vulcans for giving them reasons to jack boot all over your holy ground. See, this is why these tactics suck: they are not only evil, but often ineffective, and lead to things like atrocity cycles.

But, yeah, Archer is kind of a dick here, in the most Lawful Neutral way possible. Would he have still turned on the Vulcans and handed over the evidence to the Andorians if one of them had also committed a war crime (i.e. raping T'Pol, or destroying the temple)? Both of those examples were talked about often and clearly enough to have been taken seriously.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Timby posted:

I'm positive that there's some memo out there, circa Original Series, in which Roddenberry details the Enterprise's ability to separate its saucer. They just never had the money to make it happen.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Saucer_separation#Background_information

Nacelle separation too

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

I know I saw that in one of those crazy officially-branded non-canon movie-era technical manuals. Have no idea which one, though.

EDIT - Probably this one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Railing Kill posted:

But, yeah, Archer is kind of a dick here, in the most Lawful Neutral way possible. Would he have still turned on the Vulcans and handed over the evidence to the Andorians if one of them had also committed a war crime (i.e. raping T'Pol, or destroying the temple)? Both of those examples were talked about often and clearly enough to have been taken seriously.

There aren't really any good guys in the episode. The Vulcans have the actually antagonistic reveal play, but only because they were nominally in the right before-it evens up to both of them being assholes by the end, with the Enterprise stuck between a cold war of douchbags.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Railing Kill posted:

What the Vulcans did is not unlike what the Russians did/are doing in Crimea: disguising arms shipments as humanitarian aid. It's just a step up from using literal human shields, as the Assad regime does in Syria currently. In short, it is a bad move that's been done for ages, and its evil as hell.

What? It's not even remotely similar, you couldn't have picked a more different scenario if you tried. Its a spy base that's been hidden on their own territory with the spies posing as monks. It's like Bletchley park, a spy base disguised as an historic estate, and the spies posing as clerical workers. Yes the Vulcans were lying, but that's because its pointless having a monitoring system if the other side know its there. What point in the episode did they talk about the Vulcans stashing weapons there? Its not even a supply depot. The possible way the Vulcans are bad guys in that episode was if that base was connected to some sort of battle fleet just waiting to launch a pre-emptive strike on a defenceless Andoria but that wasn't in the episode broadcast in the UK.

Are you guys seriously that naïve that you can't comprehend why someone would want to monitor a nation that poses a threat to them, and has repeatedly violated its territory?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You're not supposed to shoot medics, but if a medic picks up a gun, that's fair game. For this reason, you can't paint red crosses on trucks carrying weapons or whatever. It's pretty simple. Don't disguise military targets as civilians.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WickedHate posted:

You're not supposed to shoot medics, but if a medic picks up a gun, that's fair game. For this reason, you can't paint red crosses on trucks carrying weapons or whatever. It's pretty simple. Don't disguise military targets as civilians.

Yeah that only applies in an actual war. Its pretty simple attacking an air craft carrier is fair game but only in a state of war, you can't just have a submarine pop into the dock and sink it because its military hard ware, and you don't like that nations government.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 6, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I myself enjoy targeting medical facilities with artillery in Company of Heroes 2. The red cross is a target.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I myself enjoy targeting medical facilities with artillery in Company of Heroes 2. The red cross is a target.

I too enjoy role-playing war crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

What? It's not even remotely similar, you couldn't have picked a more different scenario if you tried. Its a spy base that's been hidden on their own territory with the spies posing as monks.

I didn't get the impression the planet was their territory. I thought it wasn't part of either race's clear domain of control, and the Andorians only tolerated having Vulcans there so close to Andoria because of their ancient holy site.

If the planet were an actual part of Vulcan controlled space, it would have been protected with ships and troops, and the Andorian incursions would have been serious acts of war. That it was left undefended implies it was relying on a special status with the Andorians, that the Vulcans abused.