Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Iron Crowned posted:

Out of curiosity, could someone explain the emotional regulation for me?

Just my experience, but I would feel incredibly depressed when I was getting really mentally 'foggy', for lack of a better term, and when I had my moments of clarity (usually thanks to caffeine), I felt much happier. Not just more alert, but genuinely happier. If I was dealing with a problem, I had a completely different outlook on it between moods, as most people would in general. I just know that this was absolutely tied to how bad my ADD was getting.

First day back on dexadrine, and I feel like I can do anything. I don't feel like running a mile or doing anything extraneous, but I feel focused and happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just my experience, but I would feel incredibly depressed when I was getting really mentally 'foggy', for lack of a better term, and when I had my moments of clarity (usually thanks to caffeine), I felt much happier. Not just more alert, but genuinely happier. If I was dealing with a problem, I had a completely different outlook on it between moods, as most people would in general. I just know that this was absolutely tied to how bad my ADD was getting.

Interesting, I never noticed that, but I was already on antidepressants before I got the ADD diagnosis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Interesting, I never noticed that, but I was already on antidepressants before I got the ADD diagnosis.

I don't consider myself a depressed person, but then again, I struggled with ADD which made me upset a lot, so... maybe that counts and I AM/WAS depressed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Iron Crowned posted:

Out of curiosity, could someone explain the emotional regulation for me?

With ADHD there is an impairment with the ability to self-soothe. You are more prone to feel extremes of anger, excitement, frustration, sadness, etc., for longer periods of time, and for these emotions to affect your behaviors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzhL-FA2v10

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 21, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

for real though if you have ADHD and haven't read either Barkley's or Brown's book then what are you even doing

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

for real though if you have ADHD and haven't read either Barkley's or Brown's book then what are you even doing

six different things halfway

now if you'll excuse me the kitchen might be literally on fire

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Astrofig posted:

six different things halfway

now if you'll excuse me the kitchen might be literally on fire

Basically, I haven't been able to finish a book in over 10 years, and even then it was after starting several different ones half way and then going back.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't consider myself a depressed person, but then again, I struggled with ADD which made me upset a lot, so... maybe that counts and I AM/WAS depressed.

ADHD is comorbid with both depression and anxiety, so yes, there's a good chance you are or were prone to depression. What really shocked me was learning that depression can manifest as just going numb and not giving a gently caress about anything anymore. That was basically my entire adolescence.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Does anyone have any experience with Modafinil?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically, I haven't been able to finish a book in over 10 years, and even then it was after starting several different ones half way and then going back.

Find an elliptical exercise machine. Wear a light hoodie. Download a thunderstorm generator app. Read your book while you're on the elliptical, the hoodie is cut out your periphery vision and the thunderstorm is both white noise and random bass noises which all help you concentrate. You'll truck through the book with high retention. Vary each tactic as necessary.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Has anyone gone through the process of getting ADHD accommodations in school/for standardized tests etc? Never had any of these things (or even, you know, medication) the first round through but thinking of grad school and figured it would be at least worth looking into.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Has anyone gone through the process of getting ADHD accommodations in school/for standardized tests etc? Never had any of these things (or even, you know, medication) the first round through but thinking of grad school and figured it would be at least worth looking into.

I thought about it when I was taking the GRE but the process was hideously complicated so I said fuckit.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

I haven't actually used the accommodations, but I got through most of the process as kind of a "just in case I decide I need it" thing. For me, it was just a matter of getting the diagnosis from the school psychiatrist, getting the paperwork to disability services, and having a brief meeting with someone at the disability office. After getting "approved" on their end, you go to each of your professors and have them sign a sheet that tells them what kind of accommodations you need. Then, for each exam you want to get accommodations for, you need to tell both the professor and the disability center ahead of time. It's really pretty straightforward, but does take a teensy bit of effort and paperwork.

I never ended up using the testing accommodations, but one of the benefits at my uni is early class registration, which is ridiculously helpful. YMMV, but it was pretty simple for me. I'd recommend checking it out.

(Relatively large state school in a lovely and lame state, for reference)

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Funddevi posted:

I haven't actually used the accommodations, but I got through most of the process as kind of a "just in case I decide I need it" thing. For me, it was just a matter of getting the diagnosis from the school psychiatrist, getting the paperwork to disability services, and having a brief meeting with someone at the disability office. After getting "approved" on their end, you go to each of your professors and have them sign a sheet that tells them what kind of accommodations you need. Then, for each exam you want to get accommodations for, you need to tell both the professor and the disability center ahead of time. It's really pretty straightforward, but does take a teensy bit of effort and paperwork.

I never ended up using the testing accommodations, but one of the benefits at my uni is early class registration, which is ridiculously helpful. YMMV, but it was pretty simple for me. I'd recommend checking it out.

(Relatively large state school in a lovely and lame state, for reference)

So my original diagnosis was actually at my college, just in my last few weeks of school, so I never used any of the accommodations there. You don't know if these diagnoses would transfer do you? I guess I should talk to a professional about this.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
I'd guess it depends on how long ago that was, and whether or not you're still seeing anyone about the diagnosis. In my case, the school psychiatrist gave me a huge packet of info confirming my diagnosis, so I'd think I would be able to get accommodations pretty easily elsewhere if needed. I also have a pretty long penis track record of seeing shrinks and psychs. Not sure if you have similar info, but I'd definitely hit up your previous school to see if they can send their documentation to the new school. Should be pretty simple, but yeah, go talk to a pro.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

So my original diagnosis was actually at my college, just in my last few weeks of school, so I never used any of the accommodations there. You don't know if these diagnoses would transfer do you? I guess I should talk to a professional about this.

When I did this, I too didn't use the accommodations, but I did get a folder with my diagnosis and test results, which other places took. Did you get any paperwork?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm looking at transferring to a 4-year school next year; how would I go about obtaining one of said packets?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

signalnoise posted:

When I did this, I too didn't use the accommodations, but I did get a folder with my diagnosis and test results, which other places took. Did you get any paperwork?

Ohhh, I got like 0 paperwork. I'm sure it's around somewhere though, will look into this.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
I was going to post this to /r/adhd but Reddit is dead so I'll rant to you guys. I should probably start hanging out here anyway. :p

quote:

Hey, I'm struggling pretty hard with learning and getting things happening. Here's the stuff:

I had a mentor for 2 years (on and off) in Java but that's more or less forgotten because I didnt stick with it. After that, I cycled between different classes,(real talk: should this have been a semi-colon?) never finishing them. A friend paid me $300 for a quick console program that I wrote that made flashcards from different texts in Python. He's a cool adhd guy who needed that program as much as I needed to make it.

I really enjoy programming when I get into it but I'll hit a wall and get lost for too long to get back to it. Learning from lectures or textbooks is hard. I can't even stick with it. I've been going between FreeCodeCamp and The Odin Project for so long that I have to go back to the beginning. I've done CS50 and every MOOC week 1, too many times and between all of this I've changed what I want to do so many freaking times that I second guess myself when I sit down to do ANYTHING.

I'm as positive that I want to go into physics as I am positive that I want to program. Physics requires an actual school so that automatically loses but it's broad enough that it'll help me no matter what I change my major to. But if sit down to learn to program, or even just program, one of two letters happens: a) I cant think of a project that motivates me enough or b) I get bored or I cant concentrate and then I get depressed and anxious and become literally--Yes, literally--fatigued. Every day is full of anxiety because I'm too depressed to do anything productive because I know that I won't be able to stick with it. Sometimes I can psyche myself up for ten minutes and then it's gone when I do the thing.

I'm 26. I have adhd-c (Vyvanse 30mgx1) and depression (Celexa) and they both make schooling so hard. Getting started and going to class is harder than doing anything else, but I need to do something. I hate not having goals or plans or anything further than 1 month.

There's so much more that I want to say to further beat in all of these points but I can't.

Reaching out is step 1, I guess.

Aafter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 12, 2016

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine

Aafter posted:

I was going to post this to /r/adhd but Reddit is dead so I'll rant to you guys. I should probably start hanging out here anyway. :p

Sorry dude, that sucks. Afraid I have nothing in the way of advice but I do have plenty of sympathy. Do you think your meds are helping? If so, would upping the dosage be an option?

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

Holothurian posted:

Sorry dude, that sucks. Afraid I have nothing in the way of advice but I do have plenty of sympathy. Do you think your meds are helping? If so, would upping the dosage be an option?

They're helping but I have no direction so they're helping me procrastinate and play No Man's Sky. My diet isn't very good and my sleep is poor so that isn't helping at all.

I started looking into procedural generation as it's something I've liked for awhile and found a community and lessons and stuff so hopefully that'll help me get back into things.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Therapy. Preferably someone who has experience with ADHD clients.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Therapy. Preferably someone who has experience with ADHD clients.

This.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Check online for a local adult ADHD support group. I attend one regularly, and it's been a big help to me. Just having a group of people to talk to who are going through the same thing is very therapeutic.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sometimes when I take a stimulant medication I feel like my head starts to feel numb, and activities like reading or watching TV are suddenly very satisfying and easy. Things are just easier to pay attention to and my mind stops drifting off at random. This only lasts for about an hour or two before going away, usually right when the medication kicks in. The rest of the time I don't really notice any difference from normal. This has happened on both Vyvanse and Concerta, and I'm wondering if that's the medication working. It's a different feeling than the euphoria of when I first started.

What are stimulant medications supposed to feel like?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Okay, so I've been going to a therapist for a few months for depression and mentioned ADHD as a concern during the preliminary meeting since my wife said a few years ago that she thought I might have ADHD. After looking into it, I also had a strong inkling that I did as well. My wife pointed me to this thread and I've been reading it every since.
I got Driven from Distraction a few months ago and I'm amazed how uncanny that book is.

Any who, filled out the scales, fell into the 95 percentile, with follow up assessments, plus the fact that my depression has abated but the typical ADHD qualities haven't, tells him it's very drat likely I have ADHD. For a definitive diagnoses he recommended that I should take the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) to put some hard evidence behind his assessment.

So I was wondering and had a few questions:
How definitive is the WAIS for determining ADHD?
What can I expect (for those who have gone through it.)
Are there other tests or what have?
Is my Doc a quack?
and Anyone got any tip and tricks for studying? :haw:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Robzilla posted:

Okay, so I've been going to a therapist for a few months for depression and mentioned ADHD as a concern during the preliminary meeting since my wife said a few years ago that she thought I might have ADHD. After looking into it, I also had a strong inkling that I did as well. My wife pointed me to this thread and I've been reading it every since.
I got Driven from Distraction a few months ago and I'm amazed how uncanny that book is.

Any who, filled out the scales, fell into the 95 percentile, with follow up assessments, plus the fact that my depression has abated but the typical ADHD qualities haven't, tells him it's very drat likely I have ADHD. For a definitive diagnoses he recommended that I should take the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) to put some hard evidence behind his assessment.

So I was wondering and had a few questions:
How definitive is the WAIS for determining ADHD?
What can I expect (for those who have gone through it.)
Are there other tests or what have?
Is my Doc a quack?
and Anyone got any tip and tricks for studying? :haw:

The WAIS isn't an ADD test, it's an IQ test. Basically to rule out low intelligence or a cognitive issue as a diagnosis, rather than being impaired by ADD. The flip side is that being reassured of your intelligence when you've been struggling with mental functions due to an impairment can be very empowering.

Honestly if you scored highly in an ADD assessment and reading about it resonates with your experience you can be pretty confident that you have it. Most good assessment scales have a massive difference between the positive and negative ranges.

If you're looking for other tests, I like Thomas E. Brown's. But professional assessment tools likely aren't something you're going to want to buy for yourself; you're going to get much more benefit from continuing to read and learn about the disorder.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 2, 2016

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I took it when I was diagnosed. It really only caused me a little anxiety because if I didn't have ADHD then there wasn't an explanation of why I'd been struggling all these years. There is no studying. It's pretty dumb. It's just a hoop.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

TheBigBad posted:

There is no studying. It's pretty dumb. It's just a hoop.
The study thing was :thejoke:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Sometimes when I take a stimulant medication I feel like my head starts to feel numb, and activities like reading or watching TV are suddenly very satisfying and easy. Things are just easier to pay attention to and my mind stops drifting off at random. This only lasts for about an hour or two before going away, usually right when the medication kicks in. The rest of the time I don't really notice any difference from normal. This has happened on both Vyvanse and Concerta, and I'm wondering if that's the medication working. It's a different feeling than the euphoria of when I first started.

What are stimulant medications supposed to feel like?

The bold part sounds like what the medication is supposed to be doing. Work with your doctor to adjust the dosage so that it lasts.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

TheBigBad posted:

thunderstorm generator app.

Holy poo poo, how have I never realized that such things exist.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's everyone's take on paid professional support? I'm getting to the point in my career where it's becoming a concern - as in - I feel like every job I get my performance starts incredibly high and then just gradually drops mostly because it's just no longer exciting.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Music Theory posted:

Holy poo poo, how have I never realized that such things exist.

Yeah, noise generators are the poo poo. My favorite is this site: https://mynoise.net/

They've got a LOT of different noise generators, and you can layer them together to create some pretty cool soundscapes. This plus noise cancelling headphones is the only way I can work given my company's open office plan.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone here been diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood? I recently turned 30 and I've started to worry.

I'm not having trouble holding down a job or relationships or anything, but I have an extremely difficult time focusing when it isn't down to the wire. I feel like my brain just outright rejects tasks, deflects them, until I'm given no choice but to do them now or face serious consequences, at which point I work my rear end off and get them done on time. Sometimes I'll start working on a small project and just sort of fog over and wander off to an easier, more mindless task or check Twitter real quick, like my attention just sort of slips unconsciously. And I've always been that way. I have a difficult time focusing on reading, too; with very few exceptions, sitting down to read a book just sees my mind fog over after a few pages and it's a conscious effort to keep myself focused.

Thing is, it's those exceptions that give me pause. I keep wondering, "C'mon, I read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell in like three days, no problem, is my inability to focus on other books really a sign of anything?" Or, "I do focus when I'm given no choice. I have no problem focusing on video games. I binge-watched Stranger Things without losing interest once. Am I just lazy?" I've had these thoughts before and just end up thinking I'm a hypochondriac and try to move on.

The real answer, obviously, is "go see a doctor," which I will, but I'm wondering how people who have been diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood came to the conclusion they should get tested.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 9, 2016

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

Has anyone here been diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood? I recently turned 30 and I've started to worry.

I got diagnosed in my late 20s. After arguing with my wife for the umpteenth time about me forgetting responsibilities, I started to wonder if maybe there was an issue with my head, and it wasn't just me being an rear end in a top hat. I started to read up on ADHD and I fit everything to a T.
If you think you have it but you're not sure, pick up a book from the library about adult ADHD. If you find yourself thinking "holy poo poo this sounds exactly like me!", then take the next step and get yourself tested.

It's never too late to find out what's going on in your head. One of the guys at my support group wasn't diagnosed until he was in his late 50's.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm not having trouble holding down a job or relationships or anything, but I have an extremely difficult time focusing when it isn't down to the wire. I feel like my brain just outright rejects tasks, deflects them, until I'm given no choice but to do them now or face serious consequences, at which point I work my rear end off and get them done on time. Sometimes I'll start working on a small project and just sort of fog over and wander off to an easier, more mindless task or check Twitter real quick, like my attention just sort of slips unconsciously. And I've always been that way. I have a difficult time focusing on reading, too; with very few exceptions, sitting down to read a book just sees my mind fog over after a few pages and it's a conscious effort to keep myself focused.

Thing is, it's those exceptions that give me pause. I keep wondering, "C'mon, I read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell in like three days, no problem, is my inability to focus on other books really a sign of anything?" Or, "I do focus when I'm given no choice. I have no problem focusing on video games. I binge-watched Stranger Things without losing interest once. Am I just lazy?" I've had these thoughts before and just end up thinking I'm a hypochondriac and try to move on.

The real answer, obviously, is "go see a doctor," which I will, but I'm wondering how people who have been diagnosed with ADHD in adulthood came to the conclusion they should get tested.

I was diagnosed at 25 after mindfuckingly horrible experiences in high school and college and being convinced I'd have to work at a job I hated for the rest of my life because I was incapable of doing anything else. I turn 29 next month and am going into my 2nd year of grad school in a field I absolutely love. It's never too late to start figuring these things out.

Being able to focus on stuff you find stimulating but not other things is a symptom of ADD, not a sign you don't have it. "Attention deficit" is a stupid loving name that misrepresents the disorder on a fundamental level.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 10, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah ADHD is characterized by a whole lot more than "an insufficient ability to pay attention" or hyperactivity, so its name is quite misleading to those unfamiliar with it. It's an extremely pervasive condition that subtly or significantly influences just about every single goddamn thing you ever do, because it fundamentally affects the way you think, the way you learn, and the way you process your situation and surroundings. It's a pretty hardcore cognitive embuggerance and it's really loving frustrating to see it constantly generalized and misunderstood as "ooh! A butterfly!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I internalized a lot of the stereotyped symptoms when I was growing up so I never noticed things that could be symptoms in myself. That common image of kids with ADHD being poorly behaved in class, constantly jittery, unable to focus on anything at all for more than a minute, that kind of thing. I know better now, intellectually, but a big part of me still feels like a fraud for even considering that it might affect me.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll look for a good book on the subject and maybe make an appointment to talk to a doctor.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah ADHD is characterized by a whole lot more than "an insufficient ability to pay attention" or hyperactivity, so its name is quite misleading to those unfamiliar with it. It's an extremely pervasive condition that subtly or significantly influences just about every single goddamn thing you ever do, because it fundamentally affects the way you think, the way you learn, and the way you process your situation and surroundings. It's a pretty hardcore cognitive embuggerance and it's really loving frustrating to see it constantly generalized and misunderstood as "ooh! A butterfly!"

Yes, all of this is exactly what having this poo poo is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Harrow posted:

I think I internalized a lot of the stereotyped symptoms when I was growing up so I never noticed things that could be symptoms in myself. That common image of kids with ADHD being poorly behaved in class, constantly jittery, unable to focus on anything at all for more than a minute, that kind of thing. I know better now, intellectually, but a big part of me still feels like a fraud for even considering that it might affect me.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll look for a good book on the subject and maybe make an appointment to talk to a doctor.

Internalization of symptoms is definitely a thing that happens to adults with ADHD. I remember reading an article that really made that click for me a couple months after my diagnosis, I'll try and find it when I'm not phoneposting.

e: here it is:
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/10121.html

quote:

Nearly everyone with ADHD answers an emphatic yes to the question: "Have you always been more sensitive than others to rejection, teasing, criticism, or your own perception that you have failed or fallen short?" This is the definition of a condition called rejection-sensitive dysphoria. When I ask ADHDers to elaborate on it, they say: "I'm always tense. I can never relax. I can't just sit there and watch a TV program with the rest of the family. I can't turn my brain and body off to go to sleep at night. Because I'm sensitive to my perception that other people disapprove of me, I am fearful in personal interactions." They are describing the inner experience of being hyperactive or hyper-aroused. Remember that most kids after age 14 don't show much overt hyperactivity, but it's still present internally, if you ask them about it.

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 11, 2016