Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Is that, like, an ugly dish in a set of nice looking dishes?

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK this isn't a lifehack but holy loly:

Bonus Hulk Hogan butter shoes:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Facebook Aunt posted:

You don't want clear anyway, translucent works best for scattering the light. I've seen it done with a white plastic bag or bucket too. Anything that will scatter a narrow beam into a glowy blob.

I've tried this with my bright, good quality headlamp and it's just some goofy lifehack stuff. You just end up with a clunky, awkward light that is too dim to see anything by unless you're right on top of it. If you're camping, just buy a drat lantern. If you're at home and the power's out, candles are cheap as poo poo, don't go bad, and last for hours. And because they're cheap as poo poo you can have many of them in multiple places to fully light an entire space rather than tote around a loving gallon of water like some kind of Spooky Hydration Fanatic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

I've tried this with my bright, good quality headlamp and it's just some goofy lifehack stuff. You just end up with a clunky, awkward light that is too dim to see anything by unless you're right on top of it. If you're camping, just buy a drat lantern. If you're at home and the power's out, candles are cheap as poo poo, don't go bad, and last for hours. And because they're cheap as poo poo you can have many of them in multiple places to fully light an entire space rather than tote around a loving gallon of water like some kind of Spooky Hydration Fanatic.

The actual lifehack that makes it work is adding something. Can't remember what it was but maybe baking soda or salt or something?

e: Bleach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buMyJPQLS9U

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Butter goes rancid but it doesn't really go off big time stylee because it doesn't have much water, so mold can't really grow on it. I forgot a stick (why isn't it a bar by the way?) of butter on top of the fridge for four days in Summer and under the discoloured and nasty layer, which was about a centimeter thick, it was fine. Didn't taste or smell the nasty-looking bit so it being rancid was just an educated guess.

I was mostly surprised the whole thing hadn't melted :shrug:

If you live in such a civilized way, why don't you throw away food thats gone bad, instead of scraping layers off to try finding edible bits?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

docLeder posted:

If you live in such a civilized way, why don't you throw away food thats gone bad, instead of scraping layers off to try finding edible bits?

Throwing away edible stuff isn't civilized. Hope this helps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

A bottle of water smugass.

Water is technically a soft drink.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

The actual lifehack that makes it work is adding something. Can't remember what it was but maybe baking soda or salt or something?

iirc the drop of bleach in those things is to prevent critters from growing in there. You may be mixing this lifehack up with a hoax one that tries to get people to mix bleach and ammonia to make "glowsticks."

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jerry Cotton posted:

Throwing away edible stuff isn't civilized. Hope this helps.

How goes the dumpster diving?

Platystemon posted:

Water is technically a soft drink.

Depends where you live. :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

In that case I think the bleach is just to prevent algae from growing. The water is providing the light refraction.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Do you ever post about anything but your desperate need to feel better than other people. Literally link me one post where you weren't just making GBS threads your insecurities on the floor and rolling around in them.

ok you have some valid points but y'all have to balance this with the fact that JC lives in loving FINLAND, home of the finns, where the miserable dark of winter is only banished for a few days in July and never in spirit. Sure they have potable tap water, but only because the bacteria DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN loving FINLAND EITHER, and they found other options. They went like "mitosis? nah..." and just extincted themselves, blessing a nation's full of blackened shriveled hearts with a limitless supply of vodka base.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

In that case I think the bleach is just to prevent algae from growing. The water is providing the light refraction.

Well gently caress my rear end and call me Catholic. Never thought of that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

zedprime posted:

The obvious cutlery life hack is the only utensil you really need is a spoon with a small part of it sharpened to an edge. Forks and sporks are just ruined spoons and knives are nice, but why not multitask with a sharp spoon?
There is but one true utensil.

https://youtu.be/TTygajaWaR0

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

iirc the drop of bleach in those things is to prevent critters from growing in there. You may be mixing this lifehack up with a hoax one that tries to get people to mix bleach and ammonia to make "glowsticks."

There's also this classic option:

Walla!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

There's also this classic option:

Walla!

Haha, I forget, does this kill you or just make a mess?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Apparently it just does a whole lot of nothing :geno:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I would expect the acid + baking soda to at least get a little fizzy.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Here's a real life hack for you guys: if you live somewhere that is prone to power outages instead of loving around with butter, torches and milk jugs, go to the dollar store and buy as many led nightlights or led candles as you want. Then when the power goes out use the led lights you bought to illuminate your goon hovel. The batteries in them last forever and they provide more functional light than a candle or a torch.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cyberia posted:

Here's a real life hack for you guys: if you live somewhere that is prone to power outages instead of loving around with butter, torches and milk jugs, go to the dollar store and buy as many led nightlights or led candles as you want. Then when the power goes out use the led lights you bought to illuminate your goon hovel. The batteries in them last forever and they provide more functional light than a candle or a torch.

Yeah, but without the excitement of potentially burning the place down. If you don't have to constantly monitor your lights to keep them from killing you, what's the loving point?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Butt Ox posted:

I would expect the acid + baking soda to at least get a little fizzy.

I assume the intent if for that fizzy to build up enough pressure to explode the bottle and take off a fingat.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hydrogen peroxide is not a particularly strong acid, it is however an oxidant. I have no idea what is in mountain dew that's supposed to make a reaction.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Hydrogen peroxide is not a particularly strong acid, it is however an oxidant. I have no idea what is in mountain dew that's supposed to make a reaction.

I think it's using mountain dew because if it worked it would provide color. I don't think it's adding anything to what actually happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zedprime posted:

Batteries spoil over time due to an inevitable chemical reaction. All chemical reactions are slowed by reducing the temperature, exponentially even. Thus refrigerating or freezing your batteries can measurably extend their shelf life.

Its kind of more useful for lithium batteries unless you buy those big box store batteries and have to use 200 in 10 years.

Modern batteries are designed to be stored at room temperature. Putting them in the fridge/freezer does nothing to their shelf life. It can actually hurt the batteries as condensation could form on them due to the temperature change and cause corrosion.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Citric acid?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Butt Ox posted:

Citric acid?

Carbonic acid, but it’s not going to react.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kaethela posted:

I think it's using mountain dew because if it worked it would provide color. I don't think it's adding anything to what actually happens.

PYF Lifehacks: I don't think it's adding anything to what actually happens

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

The problem with this is that cheap LED lights are cheap and when you need them, you find they have started to fall the gently caress apart and don't want to work at all. Of course, you could buy not-cheap LED lights, but then when you need them you can't find them at all because someone (maybe some household kid) has lost them all. The taper candles, on the other hand, never go missing. Sometimes they've even multiplied.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Filox posted:

(maybe some household kid)

Lifehack: common household children are actually quite dangerous, so keep them in a safe place away from moisture and direct sunlight

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lifehack: common household children are actually quite dangerous, so keep them in a safe place away from moisture and direct sunlight

Add a little bit of bleach to your children to keep them from growing.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Best tip in the thread.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I was trying to think of a way to misconstrue that.... and nope, got nothing, that's as close to legit good advice as this thread ever gets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

I was trying to think of a way to misconstrue that.... and nope, got nothing, that's as close to legit good advice as this thread ever gets.

Yeah that's what that Fritzl dude did with his kids.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah that's what that Fritzl dude did with his kids.

:vince:

That went dark fast.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

rydiafan posted:

There is but one true utensil.

https://youtu.be/TTygajaWaR0

A lesson in bias. I started the video rolling my eyes at the funny Chinese army shovel and I finished it completely impressed and wondering where I could get one. You have a convert to the one true utensil.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, but without the excitement of potentially burning the place down. If you don't have to constantly monitor your lights to keep them from killing you, what's the loving point?

HOW CAN SOMEONE BE THIS loving GOONY ABOUT CANDLES JESUS CHRIST

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alaois posted:

:lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Filox posted:

The problem with this is that cheap LED lights are cheap and when you need them, you find they have started to fall the gently caress apart and don't want to work at all. Of course, you could buy not-cheap LED lights, but then when you need them you can't find them at all because someone (maybe some household kid) has lost them all. The taper candles, on the other hand, never go missing. Sometimes they've even multiplied.

Buy lights that take AA or AAA batteries, and stick them in a drawer somewhere.

Unless your house is situated inside the caldera of a volcano, they won’t fall apart if they’re just sitting there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Alaois posted:

I like getting the big sack of tealights you can get for a dollar or two anywhere and putting bunches of them outside in areas where smokers will congregate during parties. They look cool and you can light your cigarettes with them if your lighter has disappeared somehow (you gave it to someone, they were drunk and pocketed it by accident).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lifehack: don’t invite smokers to your parties.