Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Look for Crooked Feather (maybe has a "the" in front) on Facebook and I think youtube. I'd provide links but I'm in a rush. They have a lot of videos that, if they're not flat-out tutorials, will give you a good look at their wings (i believe she does that for a living)

Oh, so that's that girl. She was on Outrageous Acts of Science a few weeks back for her wings. She uses pneumatics for her wings.

Ah, here's the clip. Sounds a bit off though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKk4XwEHnc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Pretty sure you can rig something up that isn't pneumatic with a similar design, though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Pretty sure you can rig something up that isn't pneumatic with a similar design, though.

Got any ideas? I'm totally open to hearing them. I'm still putting together the frame work, so I've not yet had the chance to try things out.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

neogeo0823 posted:

Got any ideas? I'm totally open to hearing them. I'm still putting together the frame work, so I've not yet had the chance to try things out.

You would just need some sort of lever that controls it, though depending how heavy the wings are could be tough to do nonchalantly.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

neogeo0823 posted:

Sorry about the abrupt answers. Grad school has me on the ropes.

I've thought about this as well, and I think you could use a similarly (or the same) design lightweight framework and hook some straps up - i.e. you tie one end to (if I remember correctly) the inside end of the top spar of each wing (that would be by your shoulder blade when folded), run it along toward the tip of the wing, then run it down the crossbar connecting the top and bottom spar, then back in along the bottom spar, across your back and have a ring hang out under your armpit. Do this with both, then you can just pull the rings across your chest to open them.

If that makes any sense. Sorry for the blob of text, phoneposting.

Edit: chalkboard!

You might even be able to make the connection (or another point on the wing) a spring so that it comes back after release.

Does that make sense, do I need to troubleshoot?

E2: god dammit why is it sideways.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not that there is anything wrong with that idea - I have seen people do a ring-pull version of the wings, although often with the cords at the back rather than the front. I think the real issue is that neogeo didn't want a cord version either:

neogeo0823 posted:

The costume I want to use them on will have my hands and arms confined, so pulling a cord or having the frame of the wing attached to my upper arm is out.

If you won't be able to manage a cord and you don't like the pressure sound, I guess you could try rigging it on a cord using some sort of motor to wind/unwind it? But then you would have the motor noise, which might be as bad/worse. You could try rigging a cord to another movement so you can operate it with, say, a leg, but that would make moving around without flapping your wings crazily difficult.

Incidentally, are you planning to have a minder while you're costuming? Because 'spreading wings and confined arms' sounds like the sort of costume where you will want someone helping you out with, well, everything, and especially making sure you don't get wiped out bumping into something. If you can't operate a cord, are you going to be able to open a door or answer a phone or anything?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Ashcans posted:

Not that there is anything wrong with that idea - I have seen people do a ring-pull version of the wings, although often with the cords at the back rather than the front. I think the real issue is that neogeo didn't want a cord version either

Ah, poo poo, that's what I get for rushing and skimming.

Motors could work, have them mounted at the mid/small of your back, wherever the wings end. Have a wire with a switch running down the arm, attach it to whatever will be confining your hand.

Also,

Ashcans posted:

Incidentally, are you planning to have a minder while you're costuming? Because 'spreading wings and confined arms' sounds like the sort of costume where you will want someone helping you out with, well, everything, and especially making sure you don't get wiped out bumping into something. If you can't operate a cord, are you going to be able to open a door or answer a phone or anything?

If you don't have a minder, please do not do this. Especially if you'll wear it in the summer. Even wearing simple-ish armor I generally can use a minder, and don't want to know what it's like to be trapped in armor and not have a minder to help bring water, etc.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ashcans posted:

Not that there is anything wrong with that idea - I have seen people do a ring-pull version of the wings, although often with the cords at the back rather than the front. I think the real issue is that neogeo didn't want a cord version either:

If you won't be able to manage a cord and you don't like the pressure sound, I guess you could try rigging it on a cord using some sort of motor to wind/unwind it? But then you would have the motor noise, which might be as bad/worse. You could try rigging a cord to another movement so you can operate it with, say, a leg, but that would make moving around without flapping your wings crazily difficult.

I would likely need a minder, yeah. I'm planning on using the wing frame as a catch-all sort of thing I could use whenever I need them, but I always plan for the the toughest use-case, which would be if I ever wanted, say, bat-like wings on a 4 legged stilt walker costume. I figure that, in that case, I may be able to flap the wings by moving my shoulders back and forth, but my hands and arms would have long sticks/similar strapped to them, and my hands would likely be covered.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

neogeo0823 posted:

I would likely need a minder, yeah. I'm planning on using the wing frame as a catch-all sort of thing I could use whenever I need them, but I always plan for the the toughest use-case, which would be if I ever wanted, say, bat-like wings on a 4 legged stilt walker costume. I figure that, in that case, I may be able to flap the wings by moving my shoulders back and forth, but my hands and arms would have long sticks/similar strapped to them, and my hands would likely be covered.

You'd likely need different builds for the different needs.

Also unless you A: put buttons near your shoulders that they can press or B: have really swole shoulders, I'm not sure I could figure out a way for you to move the wings with your shoulders.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You'd likely need different builds for the different needs.

Also unless you A: put buttons near your shoulders that they can press or B: have really swole shoulders, I'm not sure I could figure out a way for you to move the wings with your shoulders.

The basic, untested idea, was that you'd be walking on all fours, so the wings would naturally lie almost flat against your back. Most articulated wings have them connected to a panel or frame of some type so that they're hinged right around where the shoulder meets the arm. Since the idea would be to flap up instead of down, you instead connect the wings to a central hinge that runs along the spine. Next, starting a few inches out, but not as far out as your arms, connect hinged solid piece of something, and strap to the upper arms, right under the armpit. From the front, the mechanism would look like a stretched M. Pushing the shoulders together would push the two outermost levers together, raising the wings above your back.

That's all a moot point now though, as we've decided on something that'll have me standing up all night as it is. I'll be using tension springs and braided steel rope to open and close the wings.

My next question is about the feathers themselves. Ideally, I'd like to follow Alexis Noriega's fake feather tutorial, but I don't have $40 to spare on a bucket of industrial adhesive. Instead, I'm trying to cheap out and find other ways of making flat black feathers that will look ok enough for a halloween costume. I'm seeing tutorials on how to make feathers from paper, but I'm also wondering if there's something cheaper than the giant gently caress off bucket of loctite I'd have to get if I were to go that route. Anyone got any ideas or recommendations?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's a good tutorial but she desperately needs an editor holy crap half an hour long.

I'd be willing to bet that you could get away with basic white glue if you weren't too concerned about it being perfect.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

thespaceinvader posted:

That's a good tutorial but she desperately needs an editor holy crap half an hour long.

I'd be willing to bet that you could get away with basic white glue if you weren't too concerned about it being perfect.

Yeah, her freakin' bird is the most annoying thing holy poo poo. Her other tutorial videos are all the same, to. It's like she has to take it to whatever room she's in.

I'll try some basic Elmer's glue and see how that works out. I don't need the feathers to be perfect at all, just stiff enough that they don't go all wobbly, and that the fabric I use stays black. Looking at the tutorial video, I think she decided to use that Loctite brand stuff because the glue is more of a paste than a liquid. Are there any other inexpensive glues that are more like that? If not, is there a way to thicken the standard Elmer's stuff so it doesn't run all over the place?

EDIT: Gonna try 1 part each glue, flour, and cornstarch per some googling and see how it works out. I'll post back my experiences with it later.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 3, 2016

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I would suggest Tacky Glue. It's a step up from Elmer's but not really much more expensive. Used frequently for kids style crafting.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Anyone watching this Tested show? Here's a little film of a guy distressing a garment. Looks like they have a ton of videos showing different things.
https://youtu.be/2ErLOmGZQMA

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, her freakin' bird is the most annoying thing holy poo poo. Her other tutorial videos are all the same, to. It's like she has to take it to whatever room she's in.

I'll try some basic Elmer's glue and see how that works out. I don't need the feathers to be perfect at all, just stiff enough that they don't go all wobbly, and that the fabric I use stays black. Looking at the tutorial video, I think she decided to use that Loctite brand stuff because the glue is more of a paste than a liquid. Are there any other inexpensive glues that are more like that? If not, is there a way to thicken the standard Elmer's stuff so it doesn't run all over the place?

EDIT: Gonna try 1 part each glue, flour, and cornstarch per some googling and see how it works out. I'll post back my experiences with it later.

Standard white glue dries clear. I used it in a fabric project last week.

Can't comment on how stiff it makes the fabric though as I was gluing it to a board.

E: also, arg, loving Mandalorian helmet cheekbones are doing my nut.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So the test went well. I think I could've made the glue a bit thinner, honestly. I bought a tiny little 1.25 oz bottle of Elmer's Glue-All and mixed the whole thing with 1 tbsp each of flour and cornstarch. The result was a sort of very thick cake batter consistency that spread on very easily, but was kind of too thick. It didn't bleed through the material at all, which was good. I ran out of test glue too quickly, so I didn't get very consistent coverage, but I was able to make a pabble sized test piece, which is just about the perfect thickness and stiffness.

Here's some lovely pictures of the results:

I got impatient and tried to blow dry the test fabric. Big mistake. The wrinkles won't come out.

Good news though is that it's lightweight, pliable, but stiff enough to hold its own weight. And the wire quill looks decent.

So, Joann Fabrics has their big sale today. The fabric I need is 50% off. And I can get a whole gallon of glue at Lowes for cheap. Time to start on the giant feathers.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
Anubis update:

I added clay to the eyebrow ridges and forehead to smooth out the elevation changes in the craft foam. I added lots of layers of wood glue, but it's not even close to being the glassy smooth I had envisioned. Maybe the next one will be smoother, this is what I'm going to roll with.

To hide the unused portion of the LED strip lights (we can't cut it up), I'm threading it behind both eyes and then to the back of the head and using the skinny part of an old necktie as a sleeve. The foam is to make the back of the head less lumpy when I cover it with fabric.

Then I started on Bast.
Clumsy paper template for very basic shapes, then folded and cut more shapes to exaggerate the features (modified Anubis's cheekbone shape):

The cheeks, nose, and whisker pads worked out more or less on the first try, but the eyes and forehead took a lot more trial and error.

Final foam:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cracked it.

The solution: stop loving about with hot glue and get serious. Use contact cement. Also, work the other way - I'd been assembling the cheekbones and trying to add them to the face plate when I should have been gluing on the outsides then adding the cheekbones to them, as flat as possible.

I'm pretty chuffed with this. Need to work out what material to use for the glass now. Pop bottle plastic probably won't cut it, I think I'll need something with a touch more heft.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I had a lot of fun at Otakon, there were so many JoJo cosplayers that both photoshoots were total madness. Next year they should have a megaphone, so the poor organizer can be heard!
VIdeo of Saturday's photoshoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-S7uUQhDlU
Warning, many Jojo's, lots of ridiculous posing.

Jojo's drunk adventures at an Irish pub full of confused cops in kilts afterwards was also a ton of fun.

Most of my pictures were awful blurry selfies, but here's some of the more decent ones, taken by others:

Holly's boys:

Recreating the Passione mugshot cover:

Afterwards, me half dead eating a burrito off the floor like a animal:

Wish I could have taken more photos around the harbor, but it was approximately 1,000 degrees out the whole time, so I stayed indoors as much a possible.

And now I'm on to the next one.
I started doing some of my preliminary work for Yotsuyu Yagiyama. I had an idea about how to make the millions of spikes all over his outfit, and I needed to know if it would work, or if I was crazy.

It involves making a cone with a larger "base" circle, then cutting a hole through the main fabric, poking the unstuffed cone through it, then zig zagging around the edge of the hole, then cutting a little slit in the back and stuffing it.

It works! I am going to redraft them a little bit smaller though, and maybe smaller still for the ones on the arms.

Made a mock up for his leaf crown, also trying on the wig here, it's pretty decent for how cheap it was!

I initially planned on doing some sort of wired embroidery for the leaves, but I was messing around with some scrap brass and I really like the way it came out, so now I'm thinking I'll make them out of metal instead. Chain is a piece of "viking knitting" that I'm testing out as a the main "band" but I'm not certain on that yet.

I've got to order fabric soon, but I'm a little bit stuck on which "colorway" to make. The artist likes to change the colors of the character's outfits/hair a lot on the covers (the only time we see them in color, usually) so there isn't really one true "canon" colorway. The two times we see this guy in color it's either this:

or this:

I think the black and pink would ultimately be easier to match, especially the florals to the main fabric of the shorts (I'm planning attaching them as a cut out applique, like broderie perse, so the closer the background matches the shorts-fabric, the better) but the tan/green/blue feels a bit more earthy, and more 'real?'

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Nice work everybody, love the masks in particular. I did a thing!

We used alginate for the mother mold and we didn't slap it on thick enough so it, regrettably, tore along the left cheek before we could pour the Utracal but it'll definitely be useful for helmets and masks and whatnot.

(my hosting)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

So my kid didn't think I could pull off a Junkrat costume for him for Halloween. Challenge accepted:

These are still WIP, but once I tighten them up, I'll move on with the peg leg and bionic arm.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I can't decide what to do for Halloween with our daughter. Going to be a challenge to top Mary Poppins.

I did start a FB group to try to get a whole crew of people (20) to do the costumes from theDaft Punk: Around the World music video. Most folks that would be down are just getting home from Burning Man so I need to get those folks involved soon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Cracked it.

The solution: stop loving about with hot glue and get serious. Use contact cement. Also, work the other way - I'd been assembling the cheekbones and trying to add them to the face plate when I should have been gluing on the outsides then adding the cheekbones to them, as flat as possible.

I'm pretty chuffed with this. Need to work out what material to use for the glass now. Pop bottle plastic probably won't cut it, I think I'll need something with a touch more heft.

Grinder face shield and some automotive tint outta work fine.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

So after a few years of wearing things like this...

...to DragonCon and nearly dying in the Atlanta heat, I've finally decided to break down and drop some money on some sort of cooling vest. My assumption is that the phase change vests would be the best option to wear under costumes; anyone have any experience with those or other options?

http://www.activemsers.org/tipstricks/choosingacoolingvest.html

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'm thinking of trying to do Corvo from Dishonored 2, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to get the vest. Everything looks simple, but the straps on the top and how it opens in the middle looks tricky to do.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

So my kid didn't think I could pull off a Junkrat costume for him for Halloween. Challenge accepted:

These are still WIP, but once I tighten them up, I'll move on with the peg leg and bionic arm.

brings a tear to me eye

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I've been working my rear end off over the last few months to try and get my Immortan Joe costume done in time for NYCC's Eastern Championship of Cosplay. Deadline is Friday, but... I think after all this work, I might be done!

Mouth opens and closes!

The air bladder works, too, and blows cooler air into the face mask to make wearing it bearable at a con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-89YrDV_w

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 6, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Grinder face shield and some automotive tint outta work fine.

Yeah, had that thought. Might go through with it but trying to avoid getting too spendy. I have some ideas to try out.

I still might rebuild it anyway, looking at the ref for the character I've got the shape of the cheekbones a bit off, they're not the standard Mando ones. Not sure if it bugs me enough to fix though. Especially given how many sheets of foam this has already cost me.

What do people do with leftover foam? It doesn't seem to be recyclable and I don't like to throw it out but the amount I have is starting to get ridiculous, especially all of the little zip-shaped edge bits that come free with the useful area.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Harvey Baldman posted:

I've been working my rear end off over the last few months to try and get my Immortan Joe costume done in time for NYCC's Eastern Championship of Cosplay. Deadline is Friday, but... I think after all this work, I might be done!

Holy crap! That looks amazing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Harvey Baldman posted:

That looks seriously amazing, and the working jaw is just icing on the cake.

If I were doing it myself, I would probably age/dirty it up a bit, but that is me, that's just my unrequested 2 cents. It is really fantastic looking.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

CzarChasm posted:

If I were doing it myself, I would probably age/dirty it up a bit, but that is me, that's just my unrequested 2 cents. It is really fantastic looking.

Agreed on the weathering. The hair and wraps are a bit cleaner than I intend for the final product but I have to have this thing submitted soon for pre-judging on the cosplay contest, so I wanted to make sure everything went together alright. I have 30ish days to fine tune everything after that point, with the primary thing I want to work on being the addition of a speaker and voice modulator wired to a mic in the mask so I can be louder and a bit more intimidating in person.

... I've also been working on a working version of his shiny-and-chrome spray.

It uses a cake decorating silver spray that, while not particularly tasty, is also non-toxic. Also needs some more weathering, but I should be able to chrome up anyone suitably revved to see me. :D

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Harvey Baldman posted:

It uses a cake decorating silver spray that, while not particularly tasty, is also non-toxic. Also needs some more weathering, but I should be able to chrome up anyone suitably revved to see me. :D

WITNESSS MEEEE

no srs thats an amazing costume you should be up for the prize

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Yeah that's an incredibly impressive costume.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, had that thought. Might go through with it but trying to avoid getting too spendy. I have some ideas to try out.

If you have a harbor freight local, the shields are like 3$.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Harvey Baldman posted:

Agreed on the weathering. The hair and wraps are a bit cleaner than I intend for the final product but I have to have this thing submitted soon for pre-judging on the cosplay contest, so I wanted to make sure everything went together alright. I have 30ish days to fine tune everything after that point, with the primary thing I want to work on being the addition of a speaker and voice modulator wired to a mic in the mask so I can be louder and a bit more intimidating in person.

... I've also been working on a working version of his shiny-and-chrome spray.

:allears: Seriously man, you are doing fantastic, wonderful things. Keep it up. :allears:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

CzarChasm posted:

I'm baldman's long suffering girlfriend and creative partner. Believe me, the weathering is coming! We already did some but I never realised HOW MUCH is needed to show up on camera. The airbag is the one thing that looks reasonably distressed and that has cack-handed dry brushing which could be more nuanced. Apparently that's what it takes and I'm gonna filth up the fabrics with acrylic paints sometime this week.

This is baldman's labour of love that I've had the fortune to be dragged into. I hope he drat well wins.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 16, 2019

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Natalie Fartman posted:

I'm baldman's long suffering girlfriend and creative partner. Believe me, the weathering is coming! We already did some but I never realised HOW MUCH is needed to show up on camera. The airbag is the one thing that looks reasonably distressed and that has cack-handed dry brushing which could be more nuanced. Apparently that's what it takes and I'm gonna filth up the fabrics with acrylic paints sometime this week.

This is baldman's labour of love that I've had the fortune to be dragged into. I hope he drat well wins.

That video I posted the other day shows how a pro does the dry brushing for distressing. Worth a watch if you like to see technique.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Funhilde posted:

That video I posted the other day shows how a pro does the dry brushing for distressing. Worth a watch if you like to see technique.

I just looked it back up and I'm glad I did. I've actually just recently been turned on to Tested, and while I don't know that video was super instructive (a lot of awkward mumbling) it is still very useful to see the process. We're going to weather the hell out of the Joe costume in the next day or two.

Also, sorry to keep pushing pics of the thing, but we uploaded an imgur album earlier today of the part-by-part breakdown of the outfit if anyone is interested!

https://imgur.com/a/tqXXU

I... will admit that I have been looking for a mobility scooter. Not because I need one, but because I'm wondering if it'd be possible to get a cheap scooter from somewhere, then build a cardboard, cartoonishly-proportioned Gigahorse frame to go around it, and then cruise around slowly at the con all day. How hard is it to steal one of those electric shopping carts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Harvey Baldman posted:

I just looked it back up and I'm glad I did. I've actually just recently been turned on to Tested, and while I don't know that video was super instructive (a lot of awkward mumbling) it is still very useful to see the process. We're going to weather the hell out of the Joe costume in the next day or two.

Also, sorry to keep pushing pics of the thing, but we uploaded an imgur album earlier today of the part-by-part breakdown of the outfit if anyone is interested!

https://imgur.com/a/tqXXU

I... will admit that I have been looking for a mobility scooter. Not because I need one, but because I'm wondering if it'd be possible to get a cheap scooter from somewhere, then build a cardboard, cartoonishly-proportioned Gigahorse frame to go around it, and then cruise around slowly at the con all day. How hard is it to steal one of those electric shopping carts?

Yeah. The guy in the video is one of those types that has been doing it for so long without talking about it that he just does it. I think though just seeing someone do something can be informative.