Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Babel was added to Netflix within the last few days. It's Inarritu so it's worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

episode and time of titties?

NSFW: http://i.imgur.com/KaUnG7z.gif

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So Netflix is getting into a bad habit of adding movies to streaming but not making it explicit in their DVD rentals which new releases are available for streaming. Used to be I could just scroll down my queue and see new additions with a nice little "STREAM" button next to them. First noticed this with Rams.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

coyo7e posted:

If you ever saw or heard of JCVD, you should check out this new pilot on Amazon Prime TV. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J78DF02/ref=dv_web_wtls_list_ovl_wn_wnzw It's kinda "The Naked Gun" with JCVD playing himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme, who's also a retired secret agent who gets back into the game.. The pilot begins with him loving up doing the splits and getting walloped in the face with a baton, and it gets more ridiculous as it goes deeper.

I loving lost it at the hipster ramen shop, and it wasn't even the funniest bit in the pilot which was probably the action-re-telling of Huck Finn, being capped off by JCVD's love interest sleeping with N-word Jim

God dang I loved JCVD. I am all over this.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coyo7e posted:

If you ever saw or heard of JCVD, you should check out this new pilot on Amazon Prime TV. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J78DF02/ref=dv_web_wtls_list_ovl_wn_wnzw It's kinda "The Naked Gun" with JCVD playing himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme, who's also a retired secret agent who gets back into the game.. The pilot begins with him loving up doing the splits and getting walloped in the face with a baton, and it gets more ridiculous as it goes deeper.

I loving lost it at the hipster ramen shop, and it wasn't even the funniest bit in the pilot which was probably the action-re-telling of Huck Finn, being capped off by JCVD's love interest sleeping with N-word Jim

I rolled my eyes at this concept (even though I loved JCVD) but you're right, this poo poo is so much better than it has any right to be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

This is loving amazing. Amazon better pick it up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is loving amazing. Amazon better pick it up.
The "action retelling of huck finn" is up there with BoJack's "Tru dats" in the Secretariat movie imho.

Also, do yourself a huge favor and watch The Get Down ASAP, it's basically if "Stranger Things" had a baby with The Wire and out popped a retelling of the birth of the Wu-Tang Clan. Grandmaster Flash's actor is a bit weak but the goofy pseudo-asian philsophy poo poo he slings when teaching people to Deejay, is surprisingly great, and it helps that half of the characters look like extras from The Warriors. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 6, 2016

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
The Get Down is outstanding and so much fun (does it have its own thread yet?)

American Ultra was better than I expected. Take the premise of the Bourne series, but with the deadly sleeper agent being a panicky mild-mannered 20-something stoner who draws comics and works at a convenience store. And overall the whole thing has kinda the same sense of humor as Cabin In The Woods.

22 Jump Street was disappointing. Had its moments, but didn't live up to 21JS. Too much rehashing and meta wink-wink nudge-nudge.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I enjoyed American Ultra so much. Stoner Bourne is the perfect description.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I enjoyed American Ultra so much. Stoner Bourne is the perfect description.

It's really good, Max Landis scripts really run the full spectrum of "crap" (Victor Frankenstein) to "gold" (Chronicle, American Ultra).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It's really good, Max Landis scripts really run the full spectrum of "crap" (Victor Frankenstein) to "gold" (Chronicle, American Ultra).

Ugh. I almost watched American Ultra, and then a Landis is brought up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What did Max Landis do that made him The Worst Person Ever in the eyes of the internet? I feel like I missed a memo because he seems like he's mostly harmless

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What did Max Landis do that made him The Worst Person Ever in the eyes of the internet? I feel like I missed a memo because he seems like he's mostly harmless

People on the internet are repulsed by Max Landis because he's a nightmarish exaggeration of their worst selves — pathologically narcissistic, sexually confused, and holds really strong opinions about superhero movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Look up his creepy obsession with Lexi Alexander.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Max Landis said the lady from The Force Awakens is a Mary Sue and people lost their loving minds.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

He's super obnoxious and his only work of note is Chronicle. American Ultra sucked.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I thought American Ultra was really mediocre.

Maybe it's just because Topher Grace is a terrible actor.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

So Netflix is getting into a bad habit of adding movies to streaming but not making it explicit in their DVD rentals which new releases are available for streaming. Used to be I could just scroll down my queue and see new additions with a nice little "STREAM" button next to them. First noticed this with Rams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix is slowly but silently separating their streaming and DVD business. I can't imagine their reasons for wanting to do so changed just because the Internet had a poo poo fit when they tried it in the open.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix is slowly but silently separating their streaming and DVD business. I can't imagine their reasons for wanting to do so changed just because the Internet had a poo poo fit when they tried it in the open.

Haven't they been doing this for the past decade?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

There's nothing slow about it, they very clearly separated the web sites several years ago and left the disc interface to stagnate for most of that time up until fairly recently.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

At one point they even renamed the DVD service to "Qwikster" to make the separation more obvious. "Slowly but silently" is like the worst possible way to describe it. They yelled about it so loud that people laughed at them and they changed the name back to Netflix.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I heard they were going to start opening brick and mortar stores to help with their DDVD rentals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're mad his father didn't cast him as a Vietnamese child in Twilight Zone.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Gladney posted:

Brutal.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

TychoCelchuuu posted:

At one point they even renamed the DVD service to "Qwikster" to make the separation more obvious. "Slowly but silently" is like the worst possible way to describe it. They yelled about it so loud that people laughed at them and they changed the name back to Netflix.

Guys, c'mon. It's like none of you read my post. This is what I'm referring to. They said "we're gonna seprate this out into 'Quixster'" and everyone flipped their poo poo and they walked it back. At that point there were no public plans to make them distinct lines of business and Netflix has been silent on the matter since then.

Over the last few years they've been de-emphasizing the DVD site, quietly rebranding the DVD portion, and now things like not syncing streaming status with the DVD queue. "Slowly but silently" is exactly how they're playing it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

He's a pretty decent writer, and a huge, insufferable loving rear end in a top hat on Twitter and Youtube. He's also been accused of serial sexual harassment, and started a big shitfest with the accuser over it (a good chunk of the exchange is lost to time, but you can at least see his reaction if you google "Max Landis Lexi Alexander")

Chronicle was dece and I dug the gently caress out of American Ultra though

Jack Gladney posted:

:vince:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Max Landis has a career because of his last name, and his output doesn't justify how much of an rear end he is as a persom.

I can deal with John Landis being an rear end because he gave us quite a few classics before he committed childmanslaughter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cinemanslaughter.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cinemanslaughter.

Also a good name for a horror movie streaming site.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He's a pretty decent writer, and a huge, insufferable loving rear end in a top hat on Twitter and Youtube.

Some of his videos are great. The one where he explains professional wrestling is frankly amazing, though in full disclosure I'm saying that as someone who was super into the WWF in the late 90s/early 00s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Some of his videos are great. The one where he explains professional wrestling is frankly amazing, though in full disclosure I'm saying that as someone who was super into the WWF in the late 90s/early 00s

When he's being informative, he's fine. He still looks like a douchenozzle, but he's fine.

It's when he has opinions that he just descends to "human trash fire" levels.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

He's super obnoxious and his only work of note is Chronicle. American Ultra sucked.

He's also a giant apologist for his dad killing three people, which is pretty infuriating if you know anything about that case.

:qq: on reddit posted:

Occasionally, just occasionally these days, the internet still makes me a little sick to my stomach. The fact that this accident, which claimed 3 lives and gave my father PTSD for my entire time of knowing him (I was born in 1985), is repeatedly retold with apocryphal elements and only cursory mention that there was a huge, well prosecuted trial that ended in an ACQUITTAL based on YOU KNOW IT BEING AN ACTUAL FLUKE ACCIDENT and that being unequivocably proven in court is horrifying to me.

What's even darker is that people tag me here, and are sure to let me know how much they hate me and that my father, a sweet, occasionally too loud man who was traumatized permanently by watching the death of one of his best friends on a movie he'd wanted to direct his entire life, is a piece of poo poo, disgusts me on a level that makes me queasy.

What's even more epic, hilariously awful is the people in here using this as a platform to talk endlessly about how lovely I am because I said I didn't like a movie they liked.
Three loving people died. Little kids died. My mother, pregnant with me at the time, sat in court and watched my father for months be abandoned by EVERY professional friend in the industry because no one wanted to be associated with this tragedy. Vic Morrow, a great actor, was lost forever. Two young lives were ripped away. Safety rules were changed.

I see this brought up as a weapon to attack my father. To attack the film industry. To attack me. Occasionally as a weapon to attack jews, which is the oddest of all.
And every time it reminds me that being behind a keyboard, having vague cursory knowledge of an event 34 years ago, and a truly horrible .gif or .jpeg is all it takes to to turn some nice stranger into a completely vicious other.

There's a reason it's called the Twilight Zone Accident, not the Twilight Zone Incident.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I mean, it is his dad

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Galavant is on netflix now. I never had a chance to watch the second season but the first was so much better than I could have ever expected.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean, it is his dad

Yeah but it's a bad idea to wander into a /r/WTF thread about the Twilight Zone accident and go ':qq: MY FAMILY IS THE TRUE VICTIMS :qq:' when your dad avoided jail time for the deaths of three people and still had a superstar run as a director afterwards.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean, it is his dad

It reminds me of Stephanie McMahon comparing her dad's steroid trial to 9/11. Uh not really dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was a completely fluke accident. How could anyone possibly have predicted it. Its not like Landis was joking about it on the day of the shoot...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know the rough story of the incident but can someone explain to me how it was John Landis' fault?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

I know the rough story of the incident but can someone explain to me how it was John Landis' fault?

Violated child labor work restrictions to have them participate in a dangerous stunt, for one. At the very least, he was completely culpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Ohvee posted:

Galavant is on netflix now. I never had a chance to watch the second season but the first was so much better than I could have ever expected.

I think the second was slightly worse than the first, but still super super good. The finale in particular was basically perfect to me.