Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Periodiko posted:

Did Clinton conduct herself ethically within the context of the situation? Maybe, probably I hope. What makes me angry is much less the CF, but Clinton's pattern of doing a lovely job of transparency and avoiding these ethical problems in the first place. This is part and parcel with the e-mail server, and then her lovely handling of the e-mail server story, and now her lovely handling of her relationship with the Clinton Foundation, along with her awful relationship with the press and the public. By her actions she makes it seem like just doesn't give a poo poo about this stuff, and that disturbs me, especially with how Obama ran his white house.

My feelings exactly. Clinton's probably going to win this thing, and as a former Sanders supporter myself, I think she probably is running a more competent general election campaign than Bernie would have. But dear God, has she inflicted some incredibly unnecessary wounds upon herself. It really feels like she's coasting into November, and that's something that she can't do. Even if she manages to eke out a victory that way, it's going to be a much narrower victory than it should be against Donald freaking Trump, and she's going to have a much smaller majority in the Senate to work with (if any at all). I honestly don't know how somebody as brilliant and qualified as she is could be making so many rookie mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The only press Hillary needs is a tortilla press.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

remember when clinton bombed Cambodia

So you are OK with Hillary Clinton asking a war criminal for advice

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Epic High Five posted:

Clinton is the most thoroughly investigated and vetted nominee for President in the history of this country. Literally every facet of everything she has done for decades is public record at this point.

If anything is 'shady' because it's unclear it's because you aren't looking hard enough or are dismissing reports/facts to support a narrative

Yeah, if anything, the fact that after a quarter century of intense public partisan scrutiny, the worst thing anyone's found about Hillary is that she was a little lax on email security makes me think she's cleaner and more competent than the average Washington politician.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm still not sold on giving the horse race press more time with her being anything but a net negative

We'll see if they press Trump re: "literally being guilty of pay for play" or just hand wave it by equivocating it with "some people are convinced you're guilty of it but can't prove it"

Maybe she's playing nice and will shortly begin turning the screw on the access of anybody who runs with negative poo poo like Trump successfully does, because they're just trained dogs

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"How dare you both meet with and take money from someone, oops I'm late for my donor lunch!"

Like let's not pretend this is anything at all unusual in American politics even if it is part of the corruption surrounding politics and every allegation of pay-to-play were true. Nobody who has ever interacted with politics at all (even Trump, though his experience is from the other side) can claim a moral high ground here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rscott posted:

It's more like she considers him a friend and repeatedly asked him for advice and counsel while she was secretary of state

You know while we're correcting the record and knocking down strawmen and poo poo

Weird, I wasn't doing either but thank you for giving me a more detailed lesson in how to create a strawman!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Periodiko posted:

You're asking this like fundraising isn't actually a well-recognized problem, which Hillary Clinton has an issues section about on her website. More importantly, the laws restricting what you can donate and how transparent it is are far more strict than the laws on campaign donations. Foreign nationals cannot donate to candidates. Also, as I pointed out earlier, even for a private charity the Clinton Foundation is not particularly transparent - here's a Current Affairs article about the subject: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/08/the-clinton-foundations-problems-are-deeper-than

I notice you didn't answer the question

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

My feelings exactly. Clinton's probably going to win this thing, and as a former Sanders supporter myself, I think she probably is running a more competent general election campaign than Bernie would have. But dear God, has she inflicted some incredibly unnecessary wounds upon herself. It really feels like she's coasting into November, and that's something that she can't do. Even if she manages to eke out a victory that way, it's going to be a much narrower victory than it should be against Donald freaking Trump, and she's going to have a much smaller majority in the Senate to work with (if any at all). I honestly don't know how somebody as brilliant and qualified as she is could be making so many rookie mistakes.

She's being graded on a huge loving curve by the media vs. her opponent, but sure that's her mistake.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

[quote="Epic High Five" post="463966344"]
I'm still not sold on giving the horse race press more time with her being anything but a net negative

We'll see if they press Trump re: "literally being guilty of pay for play" or just hand wave it by equivocating it with "some people are convinced you're guilty of it but can't prove it"

Maybe she's playing nice and will shortly begin turning the screw on the access of anybody who runs with negative poo poo like Trump successfully does, because they're just trained dogs

I'm a little troubled when an a presidential candidate can just decide to not meet with the press.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Monaghan posted:

I'm a little troubled when an a presidential candidate can just decide to not meet with the press.

One side hasn't held as many press conferences as the press likes but still talks to them all the time, the other literally said that press that is mean to him will be banned once he is president then had their cameras cut and takes the press passes anyway from anyone who dare speak ill of him.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DemeaninDemon posted:

The only press Hillary needs is a tortilla press.

Wine press to get her through the dull Congressional hearings she'll be made to endure

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

Petr posted:

According to a worthless online opt-in poll.

Well, dogfucker, it's actually not all that bad. a 5,000 respondent survey, even on an opt-in basis, is capable of being statistically relevant. I can't recall where I read it, but they've apparently figured out a way to control for the self-selection bias. But again, it's only a single poll. We should see how it moves, where it moves, and then compare it to the results once we have them. This election cycle is a big experiment for these online opt-ins, and I think there might actually be some value there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Monaghan posted:

Oh she's meeting with the press, just not the CNN/Fox/etc idiots

That's their real issue with her. They're paying the piper for 25 years of relentless hit jobs based on nothing and they're mad as hell.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Monaghan posted:

She has been, just local press.

She decided to not meet with the beltway press because they're loving incompetent.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Majorian posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/health/cough-cold-explainer/index.html

She coughed a few times and it's a multi day story

If it wasn't one thing, it'd be another.

Edit: lmao

quote:

Though Democrats insist Clinton merely has seasonal allergies, Republicans argue her cough suggests a more problematic health issue.

One side says she coughed a few times, and the other says she's dying of Ebola. Who's to say what's right?

If only Hillary hadn't made such an obvious own goal!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

remember when clinton bombed Cambodia

wrong way to pivot :ssh:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Oh she's meeting with the press, just not the CNN/Fox/etc idiots

That's their real issue with her. They're paying the piper for 25 years of relentless hit jobs based on nothing and they're mad as hell.

Oh okay. I've been taking a break from political stuff the past few weeks so I wasn't aware of the full context ( I really needed a break from this stuff).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Well, dogfucker, it's actually not all that bad. a 5,000 respondent survey, even on an opt-in basis, is capable of being statistically relevant. I can't recall where I read it, but they've apparently figured out a way to control for the self-selection bias. But again, it's only a single poll. We should see how it moves, where it moves, and then compare it to the results once we have them. This election cycle is a big experiment for these online opt-ins, and I think there might actually be some value there.
A lot of the people voting Trump in Texas still call in to talk radio to buy and sell things

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Maybe next we'll hear how Hillary brought over a bunch of models for indentured servitude.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Maybe next we'll hear how Hillary brought over a bunch of models for indentured servitude.

Huma?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Majorian posted:

What would you rather she be doing? If it's "deliver fiery speeches condemning Donald Trump and raise money and hustle for downballot races" my understanding is that this is in fact occurring, but this is not as sexy as "Hillary coughed: is she dying?? Part 4 of our weeklong series."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Monaghan posted:

Oh okay. I've been taking a break from political stuff the past few weeks so I wasn't aware of the full context ( I really needed a break from this stuff).

The leadup to the last round of whining was that she hasn't held a presser since December. She held one the week prior, but with local and Hispanic media. That didn't count because she didn't bring along the mainstream press

Literally one day later, Trump snubs the mainstream press and flies down to Mexico and holds a presser with local and Hispanic press. This is then held up as an example of something good and why isn't Clinton doing this.

It's no wonder she considers them all idiots and a cancer on Democracy

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

socialsecurity posted:

One side hasn't held as many press conferences as the press likes but still talks to them all the time, the other literally said that press that is mean to him will be banned once he is president then had their cameras cut and takes the press passes anyway from anyone who dare speak ill of him.

You're forgetting all of the takedown orders and lawyering up that has occurred (is still occurring?) aimed at anyone reporting on Melania

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
FWIW I think the fact that Clinton is following Obama, who is really one of the most scandal free presidents of all time doesn't do her any favors

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rscott posted:

FWIW I think the fact that Clinton is following Obama, who is really one of the most scandal free presidents of all time doesn't do her any favors

What, did you forget all the terrorist fist jabbing and HURRICANE BENGHASZI!?!?!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hmmm she's a Muslim sleeper agent so yeah pretty much.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lemming posted:

What, did you forget all the terrorist fist jabbing and HURRICANE BENGHASZI!?!?!

I was thinking more in context of his personal/private life really, but the media overall is less credulous when it comes to ginned up scandals on concerning Obama than they are Clinton

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Obama's been accused of shitloads of scandals but convicted on not a single one

Clinton is the natural person to follow him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epic High Five posted:

The leadup to the last round of whining was that she hasn't held a presser since December. She held one the week prior, but with local and Hispanic media. That didn't count because she didn't bring along the mainstream press

Literally one day later, Trump snubs the mainstream press and flies down to Mexico and holds a presser with local and Hispanic press. This is then held up as an example of something good and why isn't Clinton doing this.

It's no wonder she considers them all idiots and a cancer on Democracy
It's pretty amazing. Trump openly talks about how he wants to make it easier to bring libel suits against the press but for the most part they choose to ignore these claims. Or just look at what he did to that one Univision reporter who dared to ask him non-softball questions.

Meanwhile Clinton doesn't do enough press conferences to their liking and they consider this an affront to their being.

It's really no different in how they are treating things like Trump University/Trump Foundation as opposed to the Clinton Foundation stuff. Trump's businesses are currently on trial for actual fraud and there's a lot of evidence to suggest that he paid off the FL AG to avoid lawsuits in that state, but no, we need to find out what the Clintons are REALLY hiding for real this time guys seriously

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Are people just now discovering that Clinton wasn't a great candidate? Why freak out months after this was obvious?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

rscott posted:

But let me tell you about dijon mustard, kenya, marines holding his umbrella, irs targeting, fast and furious, solyndra, libya, and keeping your insurance if you like it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's pretty amazing. Trump openly talks about how he wants to make it easier to bring libel suits against the press but for the most part they choose to ignore these claims. Or just look at what he did to that one Univision reporter who dared to ask him non-softball questions.

Send him a letter asking for donations for the Trump campaign?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Are people just now discovering that Clinton wasn't a great candidate? Why freak out months after this was obvious?

She's a fine choice. She's not ideologically perfect or pure, but nobody who ran this year and nobody who ran ever has been because "ideological purity" is code of "huge rear end in a top hat who refuses to do anything and embraces gridlock as progress" and they tend to get shuffled out (on the Democratic side at least)

She's by far the best option of all of them that will be on the ballot

Her loathing of the press is one of my favorite things about her

bij
Feb 24, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

But let me tell you about dijon mustard, kenya, marines holding his umbrella, irs targeting, fast and furious, solyndra, libya, and keeping your insurance if you like it.

You forgot overriding the Majestic 12 lockout on internal HAARP operations and steering Hurricane Sandy into the East Coast just days before the election.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Meanwhile Clinton doesn't do enough press conferences to their liking and they consider this an affront to their being.

It's really no different in how they are treating things like Trump University/Trump Foundation as opposed to the Clinton Foundation stuff. Trump's businesses are currently on trial for actual fraud and there's a lot of evidence to suggest that he paid off the FL AG to avoid lawsuits in that state, but no, we need to find out what the Clintons are REALLY hiding for real this time guys seriously

The utter toothlessness of the media in the face of a man who is basically a walking 80's corporate villain stereotype just so they can keep harping on a Clinton baffles me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fear I might be asking a loaded question, but with the mainstream press hate-on going forth here where do you all get your news, generally?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

She's by far the best option of all of them that will be on the ballot

This is akin to being the best venereal disease.

quote:

Her loathing of the press is one of my favorite things about her

This may make her more likable from a politics nerd standpoint, but it's a really bad trait for a candidate to have since it (even moreso) invites the kind of lovely reporting we've seen this cycle.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

The ones freaking out are actually the ones who six months ago insisted that Clinton would wreck it all, and desperately want to be vindicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/sab_mark/status/751851837515522048

• Locked thread