Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I cannot believe the name "Sage Northcutt" is not the intellectual property of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah I heard him say this before too and is that even a thing? Like, advancement is built into martial arts. Being humble or something doesn't play into it- if you have a legitimate trainer, he says when you're a blue belt. That's the whole story, you earned it, it's who you are.

I've seen GSP talk before about being a white belt for life, but it doesn't literally mean he turns down promotions, it means coming into every class and working with every new person as if it's something new to learn and develop

I'd like to think that Punk means the same thing, but it's somewhat less impressive when you're obliged to learn something new each time you train

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Punks online sensei said he was at about a blue belt level before he chose a camp.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
What's the over/under that cm punk misses weight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
If he comes in on weight and makes the walk to the octagon I will honestly be impressed. I really didn't think he would make it through a real camp.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will fight CM Punk.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I've changed my mind, CM Punk is going to win in spectacular fashion.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Right now it's over 30lbs, according to rumors.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Dave Meltzer would beat up CM Punk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ChrisMuellerPGH/status/773229363214942208
Can't wait to see Punk being a jerk to our cool sports radio host

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

did he drop a Baba Booey at the end

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Luigi Thirty posted:

did he drop a Baba Booey at the end

Yes but it was a legit answer to the worst first pitch question so it only half counts.

Two standouts from the interview:
The biggest softball question of all time "what is a triangle choke?" to which punk replied "you don't know what a triangle choke is?"

When you wish punk good luck he still responds Luck Is For Losers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

schweens posted:

Exactly why he needs it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Exactly why he needs it

Responding to someone who says "luck is for losers" with anything akin to "good luck" again is such low hanging fruit that I'd almost feel bad for taking it. I mean, I definitely would but it would be too easy.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 6, 2016

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The Assassination of CM Punk by the Punchman Mickey Gall

:effort:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

schweens posted:

Yes but it was a legit answer to the worst first pitch question so it only half counts.

Two standouts from the interview:
The biggest softball question of all time "what is a triangle choke?" to which punk replied "you don't know what a triangle choke is?"

Also great was him being all :smug: that the Blackhawks would have totally beaten the Penguins for the Cup this year, which is about as comparable as Punk beating Gall

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

hes more likely going to fight for his life and end it as soon as possible
i don't know much about mma but if i were in this dude's position i'd absolutely try to end the match quickly, because if i lost by tripping on my shoelaces or punk channeling all of his muay thai training to become sagat from street fighter for five seconds, my career would basically be over.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Y'know what's hilarious about the whole Mickey Gall thing?

When he first showed up, we all thought that the UFC picked a guy and then had him inserted into "Lookin' For a Fight." The Punk call-out and Dana's reaction came off so staged that it just made sense.

Now? Gall is such an obviously bad matchup for Punk that Dana White clearly just fell in love with the first welterweight on his Godforsaken reality show to call out Punk after a win.

No wonder Joe Silva is retiring.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I don't know that Gall is an obviously bad match up for Punk in any other way than "knows how to fight a bit" which I think pretty much every pro fighter in the world a bad match up.

Lets make no mistake they picked Gall because they thought he would lose. It just turns out that Punk is in fact worse than they expected him to be.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Skinty McEdger posted:

I don't know that Gall is an obviously bad match up for Punk in any other way than "knows how to fight a bit" which I think pretty much every pro fighter in the world a bad match up.

Lets make no mistake they picked Gall because they thought he would lose. It just turns out that Punk is in fact worse than they expected him to be.

I'm surprised they didn't get some random pro wrestler to do a full camp, seems like a much better way to do a CM Punk spectacle fight than putting him in against an actual young fighter where you stand a good chance to ruin your investment in the old lovely professional worker.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just pay Gall to take a dive.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
It works out for UFC though if Gall does become a legitimate top 15 dude in the welterweight division. Not that beating Punk is gonna make him a star at all, but it's something that UFC can always talk about every time he fights. So it's probably better UFC got a dude who is way out of Punk's league at the moment, but at least might be a slightly-too-early UFC prospect in the future.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bubba Smith posted:

It works out for UFC though if Gall does become a legitimate top 15 dude in the welterweight division. Not that beating Punk is gonna make him a star at all, but it's something that UFC can always talk about every time he fights. So it's probably better UFC got a dude who is way out of Punk's league at the moment, but at least might be a slightly-too-early UFC prospect in the future.

Isn't that what happened with Rich Franklin back in the day?

I remember him basically being a tribute to the withered husk of Ken Shamrock for their reality show, and then Rich Franklin beat Shamrock's rear end and got a title shot from it

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah I mean they had one of three choices:

-Not A Real Fight: IE just put Punk up against the absolute worst possible person they could find so he could win. Probably the worst option because of the whole "wrestling = fake" thing and because Punk has a huge ego.
-Spectacle: Throw him up against someone who used to be really good but is terrible or someone who also isn't a "real" fighter but will draw eyes. IE the proposed CM Punk vs Green Ranger fight.
-A Better Fighter: What we ended up getting, using Punk to make a nice little talking point on someone who can actually fight's career.

Personally I think 2 would have gotten the most money, but 3 was probably the smartest because even after he gets the poo poo beaten out of him nothing is stopping him from fighting dumb gimmick matches that people will pay for.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Is anyone putting money on/against Punk?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No real athletic commission would put Brooks in there against a fighter with a real established record. An old vet with a shot chin would still just buzzsaw through him. That's why they needed to find a guy like Gall.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember him basically being a tribute to the withered husk of Ken Shamrock for their reality show, and then Rich Franklin beat Shamrock's rear end and got a title shot from it

Tito Ortiz coached against Shamrock and Franklin was middleweight champion at the time.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Is anyone putting money on/against Punk?

no, isn't he a pretty big underdog?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Shammy fight put Franklin on the map but he definitely wasn't a sacrificial lamb for Ken, even if the mainstream media portrayed it as such ("World's Most Dangerous Man vs. Math Teacher"). Franklin was a well established fighter with a great record at the time, he was like 19-1 with his only loss coming to Machida. Mickey Gall is a rookie with a 2-0 record.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Tito Ortiz coached against Shamrock and Franklin was middleweight champion at the time.

He's talking about the very first TUF finale, the main event was Ken vs. Franklin instead of a coach's fight. Franklin then got a shot at Tanner after winning.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah he's at +375ish right now. I'm actually surprised the line isn't a lot crueler

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

one way to put that, yeah.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Yeah he's at +375ish right now. I'm actually surprised the line isn't a lot crueler

if it stays about there i'll be betting on punk. i have absolutely nothing to go on other than imagining how far i could go in two years with top coaches, elite sparring partners and an open checkbook.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

if it stays about there i'll be betting on punk. i have absolutely nothing to go on other than imagining how far i could go in two years with top coaches, elite sparring partners and an open checkbook.

You'd also need bad knees and back injuries and about fifty concussions

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Memento posted:

You'd also need bad knees and back injuries and about fifty concussions

dan henderson

with enough money for medical bills and coaches to work to minimize the impact of your physical limitations while emphasizing your strengths, you can be competitive with a 2-0 guy and if you can't, that's insanely embarrassing and not just for punk.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

dan henderson

with enough money for medical bills and coaches to work to minimize the impact of your physical limitations while emphasizing your strengths, you can be competitive with a 2-0 guy and if you can't, that's insanely embarrassing and not just for punk.

Dan Henderson is on steroids though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You misunderstood me. You can have all of those things in your post, but you also have to have all the things in my post and start off with a learn-by-mail bjj white belt and a few years of McDojo karate from your teenage years.

Dan Henderson has been an elite level wrestler for more than two decades, and started MMA when he had already been wrestling at a state championship level for ten years.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Marching Powder posted:

dan henderson

I think this too + your other post makes sense so I'll probably put a little bit of money on Punk. Maybe his cardio is just ungodly or something and he has an iron chin? Maybe the Xe lifestyle is good??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

You misunderstood me. You can have all of those things in your post, but you also have to have all the things in my post and start off with a learn-by-mail bjj white belt and a few years of McDojo karate from your teenage years.

Dan Henderson has been an elite level wrestler for more than two decades.

i can't remember the last time dan henderson elite wrestled anyone. he works entirely by setting up his one weapon and he is somehow getting a title shot off of it. if an old, broken down man with literally one move can murder tim boetsch and hector lombard than an old, broken down man with 2 years of elite training can be competitive with a guy who trained part time with impersonal coaching for several years.

• Locked thread