Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

icantfindaname posted:

There was a very real and large conflict of interest in the donations. that doesn't mean she was acting on corruption, but conflicts of interest should be avoided in the first place, and the fact that she let it exist is a legitimate criticism, unlike speculation that Obama is a Muslim. The AP story was not misleading outside the normal bounds of journalism. Freaking the gently caress out about this and shouting down anyone who points it out is a hilarious way to respond to this and is not going to help Hillary in the least

No one gives a poo poo how you vote. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Eschers Basement posted:

The ones freaking out are actually the ones who six months ago insisted that Clinton would wreck it all, and desperately want to be vindicated.

Doesn't make much sense to act like this is news, then.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Periodiko posted:

I don't agree that having someone donate to your family's powerful personal charity isn't a form of personal gain. I feel like if they weren't the Clintons, and they weren't already elite-squared, the level of access, power and influence represented by the Clinton Foundation would be unquestionable. I'm somewhat devil's advocating here, I don't feel that outraged, but I do think it's a perfectly reasonable argument. It feels like there's a strange standard here, where 10K in a duffle bag is clearly personal gain, but millions from awful human-rights violators, clearly intended as a way of gaining influence, to a charitable foundation that has you rubbing shoulders with the world's elites is worth barely a shrug.

What exactly is the gain? That Hillary gets to take credit for charitable work? That maybe she feels good about doing it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

This is akin to being the best venereal disease.

This may make her more likable from a politics nerd standpoint, but it's a really bad trait for a candidate to have since it (even moreso) invites the kind of lovely reporting we've seen this cycle.

Newflash: that lovely reporting has been the standard for almost 2 decades

She doesn't ignore the press, she ignores a few of them and they get all mad about it

Also then they're all venereal diseases so you may as well pick the best one. Want something better? Show up in 2018, and for local poo poo

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In which the Clinton Foundation ignored state laws because why not:

quote:

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has the power to force the Clinton Foundation and the Clinton Health Access Initiative to publicly disclose the names of foreign governments and the millions they donate each year to the charities but he’s not doing it, a Scripps News investigation has found.

Schneiderman’s failure to require compliance with New York law and written instructions from his own office keeps the public in the dark about whether the foreign governments that gave money to the Clinton charities also had special access to Hillary Clinton when she was secretary of state, experts in private foundation law say. New York state has long required more transparency from non-profits operating within its borders than many other regulators.

A Scripps Washington Bureau review of tax returns and regulatory filings found that year after year the Clinton charities have ignored New York law and related instructions. However, the office of Attorney General Schneiderman, a Democrat whom Hillary Clinton named to her campaign's “leadership council” in New York, did not respond to Scripps’ questions about the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), which has never publicly disclosed in New York filings the identity of its foreign government contributors or the amounts they give each year. Scripps also discovered CHAI did not report hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign government donations to the state.

However, Schneiderman’s office said it considers the Clinton Foundation, which is a separate charity, “in step” with state rules.

“He’s not doing his job in that case,” said David Nelson, an attorney and former partner at the accounting firm of Ernst & Young who served on the regulations and legislation committee of the Council On Foundations, the philanthropy industry’s equivalent of the American Bar Association.

In 2009, Secretary Clinton’s first year heading the State Department, the Clinton Foundation disclosed to New York only a lump sum of $122 million in foreign government donations, listing the amount on a required form that directs all charities to “list each government contribution (grant) separately.” The foundation continued to provide the lump sum disclosures for foreign governments in every year that followed.

Nelson said, “The Clinton Foundation cannot say they are in compliance with New York regulations.”

Here’s what you need to know

The Internal Revenue Service has long required charities to disclose on their federal tax returns the total amount of contributions they receive from all governments, foreign and domestic. The federal form does not require a charity to publicly identify its government contributors. However, any charity that wishes to operate or raise funds in New York must also, according to a state law, meet more rigid transparency requirements and publicly disclose “the name of each agency” and “the amount of each contribution” received from any government agency, every year.

A partial review by Scripps of charities registered in New York found inconsistent compliance with the instructions.

The New York Attorney General’s office published a set of detailed instructions for all charities to follow. It directs them to make sure the total amount of government contributions disclosed to the state is equal to what the charities report to the IRS. From 2010-2014, for every year it has filed disclosures with the state, the Clinton Health Access Initiative has ignored this direction.

More in the link but the tldr is the Clinton Foundation is required by New York state law to fully disclose each government/agency and its donation amount. Both the Clinton Foundation and the Clinton Health Access Initiative chose not to do this, keeping $225 million secret (as in, withholding specifics of the individual contributions that totaled that amount) from New York.

CHAI spokesperson blames the NY AG, a man appointed to Clinton's Leadership Council, because they would totally fully disclose if the AG asked them too (even though it's New York law), Clinton Foundation people say it's no biggie because everyone else does it, and the NY AG people kick the can by saying they are going to clarify things soon.

I know, blah blah blah Clinton Foundation, but get ready for it to be in the news cycle. Ignoring everything else involving the foundation, purposely ignoring state law is a bad thing to do.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

This may make her more likable from a politics nerd standpoint, but it's a really bad trait for a candidate to have since it (even moreso) invites the kind of lovely reporting we've seen this cycle.

It's a cycle. The press turns everything Hillary does into a scandal, so Hillary avoids the press, so the press acts out even more. They're going to attack her anyway and being more open is just going to invite more attacks so it makes sense to flip them the bird. Something something appeasement doesn't work, etc. From just watching how the news media have been acting these last few weeks, I can't blame her.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

Newflash: that lovely reporting has been the standard for almost 2 decades

I acknowledged that, her stance toward the press only makes them more likely to engage in the craptacular equivalence they already were prone to do, though.

quote:

Also then they're all venereal diseases so you may as well pick the best one. Want something better? Show up in 2018, and for local poo poo

You misunderstand. Being a poor candidate does not mean you're a poor human being or would make a poor president. It means that, as a candidate, you have glaring weaknesses.

I don't dislike Clinton, really, I just think she's not a good candidate given the country we live in.

e: it's why I think this race will be closer than it has any right to be, even given polarization in this country.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

More in the link but the tldr is the Clinton Foundation is required by New York state law to fully disclose each government/agency and its donation amount. Both the Clinton Foundation and the Clinton Health Access Initiative chose not to do this, keeping $225 million secret (as in, withholding specifics of the individual contributions that totaled that amount) from New York.

CHAI spokesperson blames the NY AG, a man appointed to Clinton's Leadership Council, because they would totally fully disclose if the AG asked them too (even though it's New York law), Clinton Foundation people say it's no biggie because everyone else does it, and the NY AG people kick the can by saying they are going to clarify things soon.

I know, blah blah blah Clinton Foundation, but get ready for it to be in the news cycle. Ignoring everything else involving the foundation, purposely ignoring state law is a bad thing to do.

Well, this will probably used as cover for Trump any time someone tires to bring up Trump U.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
reminder that one of the sparks for Clinton's bad relationship with the press was when they lost their poo poo when she said she wasn't a 'stay at home and bake cookies' type and demanded she bake cookies.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

reminder that one of the sparks for Clinton's bad relationship with the press was when they lost their poo poo when she said she wasn't a 'stay at home and bake cookies' type and demanded she bake cookies.

Then she did and won a contest because they were so good, then never did again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm saying I think her relationship with the press was always doomed and nothing she does can really build a bridge over 'we literally told you to get back in the kitchen and made your husband getting a blowie from an intern into all you could see forever as if he was caught in bed with literal Saddam Hussein.'

That gap is a mighty big one.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man remember Trump's bad week and the thread thought the horse race narrative was dead and the "Trump suicide watch" narrative was going to be a thing.

Also Pokemon Go would be used in Nov. to get millennials to vote. Good times.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

Then she did and won a contest because they were so good, then never did again

Don't forget that some of the media decided to revive this exact topic a few weeks ago by "innocently" highlighting that the "Clinton Family Cookies" that were put up against whatever Melania submitted this election happen to be the same recipe as the 1992 one (implying that Hillary is lazy and a self-plagiarist) and also they aren't attributed to either Hillary or Bill (insinuating that neither is a good housekeeper)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Real Talk, Bernie would be getting destroyed by a blitz of negative media attention that he would have absolutely no experience in dealing with. Hillary has lived this for 25 years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Though she's warmed up to the press a bit, and is willing to answer questions on the plane on the way to stops. This should take some of the heat off her, hopefully.

Going back to favorability polling: an indicator of who's going to win will be Obama's approval numbers heading into November. A significant amount of the electorate view her as Obama's third term, so if things are looking up for him, it'll give her an edge.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Real Talk, Bernie would be getting destroyed by a blitz of negative media attention that he would have absolutely no experience in dealing with. Hillary has lived this for 25 years.

Hillary thrives on negative attention. Her Grand Abuela powers grow with every poo poo non-scandal that hits some poo poo stained rag passed as news.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iospace posted:

Though she's warmed up to the press a bit, and is willing to answer questions on the plane on the way to stops. This should take some of the heat off her, hopefully.

Going back to favorability polling: an indicator of who's going to win will be Obama's approval numbers heading into November. A significant amount of the electorate view her as Obama's third term, so if things are looking up for him, it'll give her an edge.

Obama has had his highest favorability ratings since 2011 for about 3 months now so I think things are good on that front.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ciaphas posted:

Fear I might be asking a loaded question, but with the mainstream press hate-on going forth here where do you all get your news, generally?

My BBC app, it tells me about cool fossils people are finding and that solar plane

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Funny you seem to gloss over this part

quote:

However, Schneiderman’s office said it considers the Clinton Foundation, which is a separate charity, “in step” with state rules.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How much of a impact will the Obamacare price increases going to affect the election? Rate increases will hit Nov. 1st.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hillary thrives on negative attention. Her Grand Abuela powers grow with every poo poo non-scandal that hits some poo poo stained rag passed as news.

Should tell the American people that, really

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trabisnikof posted:

And we can expect Fox and co to do the same thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

BetterToRuleInHell exaggerating a negative story about the liberals?

No way!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

^^^^^ Did you choose not to actually read what I quoted? ^^^^^

it's part of what I quoted.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
ALEC is a perfectly legal lobbyist group that operates within the law. Does that mean they're okay too?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
This time it's a real scandal! IT'S A REAL SCANDAL THIS TIME!!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

"It's hard to explain why -- despite their own calls for funding -- Senate Democrats decided to block a bill that could help keep pregnant women and babies safer from Zika," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on the floor.
[...]
Democrats blocked the bill because they say it included a provision to prevent funding for Planned Parenthood and no longer included a provision in the House bill banning Confederate flags from veterans' cemeteries.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/politics/senate-zika-funding-vote-fails/index.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

You misunderstand. Being a poor candidate does not mean you're a poor human being or would make a poor president. It means that, as a candidate, you have glaring weaknesses.

I don't dislike Clinton, really, I just think she's not a good candidate given the country we live in.

e: it's why I think this race will be closer than it has any right to be, even given polarization in this country.

This is dumb. She's consistently polling ahead at a wide margin, and she's almost certainly going to win. Those are the marks of a good candidate. The votes she's losing are the votes of people choosing to support a bigot instead. What is it you'd have her change about herself to win those people over? Should she be more hateful herself? Less progressive? More male?

American races are close. They literally always are. That's just how our system is structured. This race is notably less close than usual, and that's a good thing.

Name one "glaring weakness" Hillary has that isn't "optics" or "I haven't taken stock of all the Republican propaganda I've absorbed over the past twenty years."

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Name one "glaring weakness" Hillary has that isn't "optics" or "I haven't taken stock of all the Republican propaganda I've absorbed over the past twenty years."

Her foreign policy

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Her foreign policy

Does that make her "not a good candidate given the country we live in"? Because I have bad news for you about the foreign policy of the country we live in.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Her foreign policy

lol

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is dumb. She's consistently polling ahead at a wide margin, and she's almost certainly going to win. Those are the marks of a good candidate. The votes she's losing are the votes of people choosing to support a bigot instead. What is it you'd have her change about herself to win those people over? Should she be more hateful herself? Less progressive? More male?

American races are close. They literally always are. That's just how our system is structured. This race is notably less close than usual, and that's a good thing.

She and her husband unfortunately give off an incredibly ungenuine, prototypical politician vibe that while being unreflective of them as actual human persons turns a lot of people off. Her cool relationship with the press makes them even more willing to dig up any poo poo story they can find to bludgeon her with. She, unfortunately, has been tarred with scandal for years and years despite it being bullshit. She's not super personable or charming as a speaker or public figure, either.

She's not a good candidate. For a counterexample Obama (despite being the bane of racists everywhere) projected and projects a much more genuine and "wholesome" image that makes getting real traction with any scandal nigh impossible. He, rightly or wrongly, has been presented to the country as much less duplicitous and conniving. Despite being a relative unknown, he was a good candidate.

And no, she is not ahead at a wide margin. She, according to most aggregates, is barely running ahead of the MoE. She's looking good in swing states so far, but has been slipping now that the media turned it's attention on her. And by all rights, she should be crushing Trump but she's not.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

She and her husband unfortunately give off an incredibly ungenuine, prototypical politician vibe that while being unreflective of them as actual human persons turns a lot of people off. Her cool relationship with the press makes them even more willing to dig up any poo poo story they can find to bludgeon her with. She, unfortunately, has been tarred with scandal for years and years despite it being bullshit. She's not super personable or charming as a speaker or public figure, either.

She's not a good candidate. For a counterexample Obama (despite being the bane of racists everywhere) projected and projects a much more genuine and "wholesome" image that makes getting real traction with any scandal nigh impossible. He, rightly or wrongly, has been presented to the country as much less duplicitous and conniving. Despite being a relative unknown, he was a good candidate.

And no, she is not ahead at a wide margin. She, according to most aggregates, is barely running ahead of the MoE. She's looking good in swing states so far, but has been slipping now that the media turned it's attention on her. And by all rights, she should be crushing Trump but she's not.

This is real dumb.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Um, Bill was probably one of the best politicians ever at seeming genuine when connecting with people on the campaign trail. That was like his whole thing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
j

jesus loving christ they consulted with a loving tennessee attorney about new york law

suffice to say the reporting for "government agencies" seems to apply only funds solicited from New York government agencies

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 7, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is real dumb.

Thanks, glad to have your opinion.

Good Citizen posted:

Um, Bill was probably one of the best politicians ever at seeming genuine when connecting with people on the campaign trail. That was like his whole thing.

Republicans have been working on that for the better part of 20 years now. I'd say the facade has worn off slightly.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Thanks, glad to have your opinion.

You posted a real dumb opinion with only the slightest connection to facts based on your personal perception of her as a "bad candidate" that boils down to "she's not Obama, therefore..."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

"I haven't taken stock of all the Republican propaganda I've absorbed over the past twenty years."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You posted a real dumb opinion with only the slightest connection to facts based on your personal perception of her as a "bad candidate" that boils down to "she's not Obama, therefore..."

I posted things which would be common knowledge if you looked at the crosstabs of any poll or paid attention to how she is covered at all in the mainstream, you glorious idiot.

Unless you're saying seeming dishonest/untrustworthy, being scandal-ridden, whatever the gently caress else are good traits to have as a candidate. It's okay to admit Hillary has obvious flaws, it doesn't mean her entire campaign is going to collapse like a deck of cards.

Substantive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

I posted things which would be common knowledge if you looked at the crosstabs of any poll or paid attention to how she is covered at all in the mainstream, you glorious idiot.

Unless you're saying seeming dishonest/untrustworthy, being scandal-ridden, whatever the gently caress else are good traits to have as a candidate. It's okay to admit Hillary has obvious flaws, it doesn't mean her entire campaign is going to collapse like a deck of cards.

That isn't you said, duder.

• Locked thread