Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

Can't believe I found this page:

I wish real court had testimony which began with "When Stegron the Dinosaur Man..." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wish real court had testimony which began with "When Stegron the Dinosaur Man..." :allears:

That's an easy fix. Get your name legally changed and then commit some crimes. :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not quite the same, but the IRL Supreme Court did have to make a ruling about whether X-Men's mutants are human or not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not quite the same, but the IRL Supreme Court did have to make a ruling about whether X-Men's mutants are human or not.

And Marvel was gunning for the latter ruling, because toys representing "humans" have higher taxes. :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Companies do that kind of thing all the time. Converse puts flocking on the soles of Chucks so they can be classified as slippers and get lower tariffs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

This is why it was weird during the Superior Spider-Man series when Ghost Peter is trying to tell Dr. Octopus-as-Spidey that he has to go out on patrol. Most of the reason for the nightly patrol was to get photographs but with working at Horizon it was not clear why he had to go out and actively seek crime for its own sake.

...something something great power something blah responsibility? I dunno, probably not an important part of the character.

Kwyndig posted:

It depends on if she knows. I don't remember where we are vis a vis Aunt May knowing who Spider-Man is, but whenever she does know it's Peter (Yes, Spidey Continuity is so dumb she's found out several times) she comes around to supporting Spider-Man pretty quickly.
The part from JMS' run where she writes a stern letter to JJJ, cancelling her Bugle subscription because of how mean they are to Spidey is great.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gaz-L posted:

...something something great power something blah responsibility? I dunno, probably not an important part of the character.

Yeah Spider-Man fights crime not because he's a good person or revenge or anything like that. He fights it because he feels he has to. Even if the only crime left was patent law violations he'd be Spider-Lawyer out there trying to prosecute those bastards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seek out crime just by swinging around I mean. He could follow leads or get info from cops or Avengers. But he was getting mad at Octavius for not spending his night out just hoping to come across something when Ock had a surveillance system set up already.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

It's even worse than that. Going by the original Sentry mini, his Pulitzer was on the mantelpiece the whole time, just everyone forgot he'd won it, and he had a psychic bling spot preventing him from seeing it. So when he lost his job at the Bugle due to downsizing, he was going to all these job interviews and people were like "Sorry dude, you ain't got the qualifications." and he'd go home and mope next to his invisible Pulitzer.

This is like the perfect description of Spider-Man/Peter Parker's life :allears:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lobok posted:

Seek out crime just by swinging around I mean. He could follow leads or get info from cops or Avengers. But he was getting mad at Octavius for not spending his night out just hoping to come across something when Ock had a surveillance system set up already.

I've often wondered how efficient the "hang out until crime happens" method would actually be. Not very I'm assuming.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scaramouche posted:

I've often wondered how efficient the "hang out until crime happens" method would actually be. Not very I'm assuming.

It'd probably work out okay in Marvel New York, given the high concentration of super villains. It might even work in real New York, outside of a major city though? Well most police patrols aren't to actually catch criminals, they're just deterrence and to be on the move if a crime does happen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Scaramouche posted:

I thought his spider-sense would detect crimes or whatever. Plus he's out there if somebody gets in a wreck or something and needs non-crime related assistance.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Nope, all his spider-sense does (or at least, all it consistently does that doesn't get hosed about with via writers) is warn him when he's about to get his poo poo pushed in by something he's not aware of. Attacks by, say, Venom don't set it off (I don't recall if Carnage also shares this bypass of it) because he wore Venom for a while, and thus the symbiote is allowed through because ?????

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's an easy answer. The Spider-sense thinks Venom is Peter because it was bonded to him for so long. So it doesn't register it as a threat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Neil Gaiman wrote that alternate universe Batman story where Bruce dressed up to fight crime, except there wasn't any most nights. So Alfred got his old theater buddies to start pretending to be supervillains so Batman would have someone to go after.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The spider-sense being a warning of direct danger is a later invention of writers trying to codify what it does. It doesn't even do that consistently - Newspaper Spider-man routinely gets his poo poo pushed in by stuff he's not aware of, like bricks. Early Spider-man is more than happy to have it warn of vague 'threats' for foreshadowing, use it as a story device to get him where he needs to go without making him a detective, and his Spider-tracers work by broadcasting some signal that triggers it which he can follow to their location.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Travis343 posted:

I thought his spider-sense would detect crimes or whatever. Plus he's out there if somebody gets in a wreck or something and needs non-crime related assistance.
He uses Spider-profiling to more efficiently locate evildoers

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Depending on the writer as well, spider sense is directly hooked up to the web of fate/spider totem business.

Kaine, who's whole powers were Spidey's but violently exaggerated into unfamiliarity, would have uncontrollable visions of the future and stuff.

I think the clones all didn't set off each other's spidey sense as well, for the reason Lurdiak talked about above.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Sure, but Kaine is The Other .

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So Carnage doesn't also share the Spider-Sense bypass? For some reason, I assumed it did since it came from Venom. Huh!

VVVV I know even less about Carnage than I do about Venom. My knowledge of Carnage consists mostly of:
  • Is Batshit Insane
  • Bonded to a Batshit Insane Man
  • Is Red
  • Killed Dagger in that one Sega Genesis beat'em-up

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 7, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So Carnage doesn't also share the Spider-Sense bypass? For some reason, I assumed it did since it came from Venom. Huh!

I'm pretty sure that in his first few appearances Peter notes that Carnage doesn't trigger his spider-sense.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I know even less about Carnage than I do about Venom. My knowledge of Carnage consists mostly of:
  • Is Red

Nuh uh. :ninja:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He's not wrong.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It checks out, give him $200 and the key to the city for a day.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
One time Carnage escaped by sending the Symbiote out through an online game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Minimum Carnage is an amazing name for a book at the very least.

Oh gently caress all y'all, I'm gonna re-read Maximum Carnage now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What other comic book character has an amazing theme song by Green Jellÿ?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
peter never needed to go on patrol, because whenever he tried to do something unrelated to being a super hero a villain would pop in to ruin it anyway.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

One time a dude was watching Carnage through a video conference and said it wasn't real, just special effects, so Carnage sent a tendril through the telecommunications system somehow and drilled through the dude's face.

Even up to the moment before the drill went through his face he thought it was some impressive 3D hologram coming out of his screen.

Edit: Found it. Venom: Carnage Unleashed #3

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 7, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Branding failure, there, Steph.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Way to ruin your outfit. You think Clark can pay for you to keep doing that on a reporter's salary? :v:

Or does this version of Supergirl have a job?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kwyndig posted:

Way to ruin your outfit. You think Clark can pay for you to keep doing that on a reporter's salary? :v:

It's how she gets rid of all of the Christmas sweaters she gets from the Kents.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

...I think this was at the same time as the very short lived KSD run on Supergirl where she was a college student but Lana Lang was bankrolling her?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How many times do you think she's got to ruin sweaters before realizing that Clark wears button down shirts for this reason?

Like there's so many superheroes running around. You rip off your shirt and fly into action, but whoops, the Goddamn Outsiders beat you to it. Now you've got to fly home and get a new shirt.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah but then you're just buying buttons by the pallet and spending all your downtime seeing them back onto your shirts. The correct answer is to be Peter Parker and just tell everyone your secret identity.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah but then you're just buying buttons by the pallet and spending all your downtime seeing them back onto your shirts. The correct answer is to be Peter Parker and just tell everyone your secret identity.

2nd panel is me visiting NYC

Batman No. 6:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

Batman No. 6:

Reminds me of this classic, sorry don't know the source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

redbackground posted:

Batman No. 6:

Oh Kite Man, don't you know you could earn millions selling glider rigs to extreme sports enthusiasts instead of committing petty theft?