Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So how anime are the promo ships? Do you get a kawaii ship captain or something? They look really colorful but I was hoping for a more Itasha-style look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Chill la Chill posted:

So how anime are the promo ships? Do you get a kawaii ship captain or something? They look really colorful but I was hoping for a more Itasha-style look.

If you enjoy girls babbling incomprehensible moonrunes in your ear while you are boating, then go ahead. If you dont, well... I think you can turn the voices off? The ships range from ok to gaudy as gently caress (the pink Myoko, for instance).

At least they're free premium versions of tech tree ships, so that's always good.

Anyways, rumors are floating about that torpedoes are getting nerfed AGAIN. As long as they hilariously buff the guns on IJN DDs to make up for it, I'll be fine. But they better be big buffs. It's painful enough trying to play with the Shimakaze right now when you have Gearings who do your job 200% better.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hazdoc posted:

If you enjoy girls babbling incomprehensible moonrunes in your ear while you are boating, then go ahead. If you dont, well... I think you can turn the voices off? The ships range from ok to gaudy as gently caress (the pink Myoko, for instance).
:stare: I need them

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Myoko/Ashigara also have torpedoes with sparkle effects on hit.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The Ashigaru is wonderfully pink. I like it a lot. It's also a Myoko, which is always good, even if tier 7 is when cruisers really start to get poo poo on.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I went face-to-face with against a Dunkerque at point-blank range in my Aoba and lived. Even turned and showed him my full broadside to give him a torpedo spread. All four torps hit and sunk him. It was the most :stare: moment I've had in my short career. Ended up top team score by 1000 xp over second.

Wish I had replays on now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I just got the Hiei and the rewards box said it was already issued to me but I can't find it anywhere. When I won it, I didn't have a slot for it but premium ships should come with slots, right?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

So I just got the Hiei and the rewards box said it was already issued to me but I can't find it anywhere. When I won it, I didn't have a slot for it but premium ships should come with slots, right?

Change your port to the anime one that starts with a Y. ARP ships have port slots that are only usable by that ship (deleting the ship doesn't give you a free slot).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hazdoc posted:

Anyways, rumors are floating about that torpedoes are getting nerfed AGAIN.

:livintrope:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

Anyways, rumors are floating about that torpedoes are getting nerfed AGAIN. As long as they hilariously buff the guns on IJN DDs to make up for it, I'll be fine. But they better be big buffs. It's painful enough trying to play with the Shimakaze right now when you have Gearings who do your job 200% better.

Honestly torpedoes are way less loving obnoxious at this point than long range guns and firing from smoke. But then again that sort of whittling down probably doesn't make much difference to the average pubbie life span so they don't get super mad at it in the same way.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I, for one, eagerly await Bouyancy Bar v2.0, now with irreparable maneuverability loss to replace half of current torpedo damage.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Prepare your Essex, Insert name here, I've got a Montana to grind out for sweet flags.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
They nerfed torpedoes, but T10 matches are still campfests. Obviously the problem isn't with torpedoes, right?

NAW LETS NERF THEM MORE :wargaming:
Hopefully its just a rumor, though, the initial info I see from the chinese leaks seem to indicate not much is being changed.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well that settles my question about which DD line to go down first. Well mostly. Now it's Russian or US

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Thronde posted:

Well that settles my question about which DD line to go down first. Well mostly. Now it's Russian or US

On the other hand, going by how WG has generally implemented certain features, Akizuki should be a really good gunboat at T8. Slow, for a DD, but that just means you shouldn't be outrunning your fleet. On the other hand, 8 guns with a possible 3 second reload speed (hey, WG has given certain other ships their absolute theoretical max firing rate, as opposed to realistic), and possibly similar health to the current T10 destroyers.

edit: Oh, and at T8 you can still occasionally see games that aren't the lovely state T10 is currently in.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 7, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Thronde posted:

At least get to the Isokaze in IJN, in case the gunboat IJN line turns out to be good.

The US line is basically the line that defines ambush tactics and controlling points, while the Russian DDs play more like really fast CLs.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've got the Mutsuki now, so I'm set. I'll keep grinding, but it's not priority anymore.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there something I'm missing about the Kuma? I'm doing no damage in it at all. Do I just need to flat out ignore BBs, or just give up on causing significant amounts of damage from anything aside from fires? I know it's more mobile than the St. Louis or Bogatyr, but either of those seem like they drastically outclass it in damage.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there something I'm missing about the Kuma? I'm doing no damage in it at all. Do I just need to flat out ignore BBs, or just give up on causing significant amounts of damage from anything aside from fires? I know it's more mobile than the St. Louis or Bogatyr, but either of those seem like they drastically outclass it in damage.

CL Kuma has seven guns and torpedoes, but is made of paper. To play conservatively, move with a swarm of teammates and rain HE shells by holding down left mouse button. If you start getting shot at, run away with its super fast rudder speed and zigzag.

To play AWESOMELY, hide behind a tall island ahead of your teammates and use the lead indicator on torpedoes to ambush fat targets where they can't shoot you back. Same except close range AP shells if your target is a destroyer or thin skinned CL like Omaha or Kuma like yourself.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 7, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Double check it's a tall island all the way across

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 7, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Really enjoying the Gneisenau at the minute even though several Youtubers had cast it as the worst ship of the German BB line. I think what they overlooked is that its speed and toughness (its 50% and 33% faster than Colorado/Nagato, and at least equally tough to the Colorado) mean its much more likely to survive longer in a battle and therefore score more damage, despite its firepower definately being inferior to theirs.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I straight up murder NCs and Iowas in my Gneisenau if I can get close. Actually I murder any non German BB now that I think of it. Those 15in guns really gently caress things up at close range, and they can't hurt you as much thanks to the turtleback. Plus you have torps.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 7, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm looking at the IJN DD changes again while the server is down, and I'm seeing them being ale to do the same thing with the USN DD tree as well:

Sampson - Caldwell - Wickes, then

Clemson - Farragut - Porter - Somers - Fletcher - Allen M. Sumner (50s refit)
Nicholas - Mahan - Gridley - Bagley - Benham - Gearing

Wickes and Clemson go up a tier, Mahan down a tier, and the rest are inserted. Clemson line is gun heavy, the Nicholas line is torpedo heavy, give one lot acoustics and something, give the other radar and AA

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 7, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Durendal posted:

Prepare your Essex, Insert name here, I've got a Montana to grind out for sweet flags.

In for tier 9 grinding.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Krogort posted:

Alpha ship was the Iwaki, a Cruiser destroyer hybrid that has gotten pretty good after some buff
Beta ship was the Arkansas, a useless stock Wyoming

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Look at how wrong you are.

My arkansas eats everything alive except for airplanes. The plotting room upgrades make life wonderful.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
"Except planes" is a big problem with the amount of CV seal clubbers.
I'm conviced the Wyoming C is the better ship with the AA and fast rudder.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I like my Ark Beta, but it's easy to get utterly hosed by a dual CV game. Top tier with no CVs, you only have to worry about Nickolais and Isokazes driven by people who have a clue.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
All ship based AA at T4 is complete garbage, if you're in a CV game in the Ark beta or a normal Wyoming your only hope is that the CV on your team isn't awful.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Oddly enough since i started playing again, the CVs have been entirely focused on each other and not on the big lumbering steel piles without AA like me.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Also I think it is impossible to even get a game in my midway. Not that I would enjoy playing it anyways.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fancy port I don't recognise with lights and fireworks

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

All ship based AA at T4 is complete garbage, if you're in a CV game in the Ark beta or a normal Wyoming your only hope is that the CV on your team isn't awful.

at least in the wyoming you have garbage, ark doesn't even have teams of marines firing springfields :(

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Can confirm the German 15 inchers are pretty drat good. 138k damage Bayern game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WjoI5n5nZQ

I'm pretty sure that's my personal record in damage. I would have crushed that number in a Colorado yesterday. 117k damage by nine minutes in. But we lost just after the half way mark because we got capped thanks to a Cleveland that refused to get too close to the cap because there were DDs on it. I was not happy.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Of all the ships to be afraid of destroyers, the Cleveland is not one of them.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Hazdoc posted:

They nerfed torpedoes, but T10 matches are still campfests. Obviously the problem isn't with torpedoes, right?

NAW LETS NERF THEM MORE :wargaming:
Hopefully its just a rumor, though, the initial info I see from the chinese leaks seem to indicate not much is being changed.

I really wish they'd change repair prices, since that's what really kills the high tier meta. If they don't want to do a flat reduction, making them scale with credits earned so that if you have a lovely game, you won't lose a few hundred thousand would be nice.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Heartcatch posted:

Of all the ships to be afraid of destroyers, the Cleveland is not one of them.

I was raging. Literally nobody was paying attention to our cap getting capped and nobody was paying any attention to my yelling in team chat and we had a cleveland sitting just outside the cap who decided wayy too late to try and put a stop to things.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Can confirm the German 15 inchers are pretty drat good. 138k damage Bayern game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WjoI5n5nZQ

I'm pretty sure that's my personal record in damage. I would have crushed that number in a Colorado yesterday. 117k damage by nine minutes in. But we lost just after the half way mark because we got capped thanks to a Cleveland that refused to get too close to the cap because there were DDs on it. I was not happy.

I really wish more cruisers would wise up and shoot destroyers whenever they get spotted instead of spamming HE at battleships. I get it, it's fun setting things on fire, but it's not gonna help you much when your battleship backup gets sunk by torpedoes and now there's nobody to help save you from a vengeful and crispy battleship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MadJackMcJack posted:

I really wish more cruisers would wise up and shoot destroyers whenever they get spotted instead of spamming HE at battleships. I get it, it's fun setting things on fire, but it's not gonna help you much when your battleship backup gets sunk by torpedoes and now there's nobody to help save you from a vengeful and crispy battleship.

Had that happen today, a cruiser on Neighbours completely ignored a Minekaze gunning for our carrier to spam HE at three battleships, forcing me to turn my Koenig around and make a bunch of low percentage shots, and it wasn't stopped before it killed the carrier, and a New York that tried to rescue the carrier too.

The worst part was the cruiser was a Nurnberg, which has poo poo HE, and should be shooting battleships with AP.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Had that happen today, a cruiser on Neighbours completely ignored a Minekaze gunning for our carrier to spam HE at three battleships, forcing me to turn my Koenig around and make a bunch of low percentage shots, and it wasn't stopped before it killed the carrier, and a New York that tried to rescue the carrier too.

The worst part was the cruiser was a Nurnberg, which has poo poo HE, and should be shooting battleships with AP.

A Nurnberg could walk it's shots onto a destroyer with it's rate of fire and get an easy kill, what a tit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I got a devastating strike on a Mutsuki in my Shinyhorse last night. I thought I had detonated him, but nope, 4 full pens with ap.