Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can't make sense of sothis. I got there but there's only two stations and neither have that many mission, none with these bio waste missions. Which station are you guys docking at? Is it because I haven't explored the other Suns in the system yet?

Newholm Station. You might need to get some rep with the controlling faction by dumping exploration data, but there are a few factions there that give long-haul missions with big payouts. You can try resetting the mission board a few times by switching between Solo/Open to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Kramjacks posted:

Newholm Station. You might need to get some rep with the controlling faction by dumping exploration data, but there are a few factions there that give long-haul missions with big payouts. You can try resetting the mission board a few times by switching between Solo/Open to get them.

Do the data delivery missions between Sothis and Ceos until you get enough dung to beetle back to the bubble. This has the side effect of raising your faction rep so you will get more/better missions.

It might be easier to drop 2M worth of exploration data but this will only get you allied with the station's controlling faction, the other factions won't care.

The missions are a lot better (twice as good and twice as many) during a boom. Everyone poops more during a boom?

If you get impatient waiting for the slow deceleration cruise to Newholm, try the detargeting brake method: Overspeed toward it (full throttle, once the ETA is below 5s, throttle to 0) and if you detarget it at ETA 1s with 0 throttle your ship will stop almost instantly and you don't have to loop around. It might even be possible to feather the targeting to cruise toward it at a constant ETA of 1-2s.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
I picked up this game this weekend and am enjoying it. Managed to hit 50% in the CG and get in a kitted out vulture in the first 24 hours. I'm working on the multicannon engineer grind. I was looking for an estimate of bounties to max out rep and saw 21 million from 4 to 5; is that right? 200k took me to from 1 to 3.

My first planetary landing I had no idea what to expect and manually exited supercruise at the same time the game flipped me to glide mode which bugged it out and put me 40km inside the planet. I couldn't see the ground textures from inside so I full throttled it out to space. I'm glad I had dumped a bunch of armor mods in to my optional internals; erupting from the planet's crust at 300m/s stripped 500 shields and took 1100 hull to 22%.

Do they ever plan to allow material trading on Open? I would love to pay some one to play dune buggy for me.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can't make sense of sothis. I got there but there's only two stations and neither have that many mission, none with these bio waste missions. Which station are you guys docking at? Is it because I haven't explored the other Suns in the system yet?

Newholm is the one you want and it'll be the only one you can land at once you get a large ship. With the nearby system of Ceos finally unfucked, though, I've pretty much ignored Sothis and started running the same thing out of Ceos (New Dawn) since it seems to pop biowaste delivery missions more often even with one less faction to give them out.

The part you're missing is you flip the mission board (switch back and forth between Open and Solo) over and over until you have a hold full of deliveries. The lower the weight the higher the price per ton, but anything 100k/ton or over is fine and will keep you from going insane flipping boards. Initially it took ~90 minutes to flip boards enough to fill an Asp Explorer (108t) with missions from Sothis. Now it takes me (with Allied in factions) ~75 minutes to get 408t of cargo flipping the board at Ceos. Depending on how much they double up on locations this means in the neighborhood of 60m for a total 2.5 hour stint. Note that if you don't live in a filthy non-US country then you're going to piss all over that time because it won't take you 45 seconds to load the mission board.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Last page was gold. :bravo:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mailer posted:

The part you're missing is you flip the mission board (switch back and forth between Open and Solo) over and over until you have a hold full of deliveries. The lower the weight the higher the price per ton, but anything 100k/ton or over is fine and will keep you from going insane flipping boards. Initially it took ~90 minutes to flip boards enough to fill an Asp Explorer (108t) with missions from Sothis. Now it takes me (with Allied in factions) ~75 minutes to get 408t of cargo flipping the board at Ceos. Depending on how much they double up on locations this means in the neighborhood of 60m for a total 2.5 hour stint.

60m in 2.5 hours is great earning, but I don't think I could spend that time just switching in and out of solo/open and checking the mission board. That would drive me mental.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay so now that I finally got to my first engineer (dude with kinetics), I have to apparently mine for a pristine metal (Osmium?)

So are my only choices

1) Gut half of my DBScout for mining, get a couple metals that I need, then rush back to re-outfit myself and hope to not get ganked, or

2) Buy a ship entirely made for mining and hope to get it to where my DBScout is stored before I get ganked.

Do I have this right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well you do seem to have a strange obsession with the idea that you'll be ganked.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It's not an obsession if the only time I got ganked was when I was carrying precious cargo :negative:

It's 1 for 1 right now!

But really, yeah, is there no easy/easier way to do it? I really need a small hardpoint-dedicated mining laser, refinery, and (for convenience sake) a collection limpet?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gromit posted:

60m in 2.5 hours is great earning, but I don't think I could spend that time just switching in and out of solo/open and checking the mission board. That would drive me mental.

I can fill up my hold in about a half hour but I live in the US so my board refresh is faster than Mailer's and also I don't worry about credits per ton or anything, I just take any delivery mission that's more than 2 million.

Also I have a voice attack macro to log me out and flip me between solo and open and bring back up the mission board, so I can watch whatever on my second screen while all that is happening.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 7, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I can't screenshot it, because I use my monitor's picture-in-picture functionality, but when I'm doing the money runs a large chunk of the upper right of my screen is Netflix. I've watched a stupid amount of Netflix. Briefly considered using Autohotkey to do the clicking for logging out/in/hitting spacebar/clicking missions on one button but I'll probably do that when I decide I want a combat Cutter or something else stupidly expensive. Love the space truckin' (and everything that isn't straight space shooter battling) so the flight time doesn't bother me.

Taking just over an hour to scam missions is still a lot better than spending an hour finding an Anarchy system at war, fifteen minutes traveling there, then flying in circles for another hour before bugging out because you found the one inhabited system in the galaxy without a single USS. Apparently the universe has a dire shortage of T9s.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Newholm is the one you want and it'll be the only one you can land at once you get a large ship. With the nearby system of Ceos finally unfucked, though, I've pretty much ignored Sothis and started running the same thing out of Ceos (New Dawn) since it seems to pop biowaste delivery missions more often even with one less faction to give them out.

The part you're missing is you flip the mission board (switch back and forth between Open and Solo) over and over until you have a hold full of deliveries. The lower the weight the higher the price per ton, but anything 100k/ton or over is fine and will keep you from going insane flipping boards. Initially it took ~90 minutes to flip boards enough to fill an Asp Explorer (108t) with missions from Sothis. Now it takes me (with Allied in factions) ~75 minutes to get 408t of cargo flipping the board at Ceos. Depending on how much they double up on locations this means in the neighborhood of 60m for a total 2.5 hour stint. Note that if you don't live in a filthy non-US country then you're going to piss all over that time because it won't take you 45 seconds to load the mission board.

Question: Do other people also have the same "open" missionboard for several refreshes? I see lots of people say "switch between open and solo" but when i do this i always get a new solo and the old open. To me it seems open play refreshes on a timer. While this can be abused in other ways, its not what you want here. You want a fresh mission board every hop.
So you need 2 instances to switch between that generate new boards on entry, like solo, and this is where private group comes in.

Just create a private group with about 4 clicks and can switch from solo to private back and forth and get a fresh instance every pop.
Works for me at least.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Question: Do other people also have the same "open" missionboard for several refreshes?

I frequently get that on both sides, or get only one faction refreshing. I just figured I was butting up against some sort of finite amount of randomness thing. I had the idea to set up private and from memory it just duplicated my solo game, though this could be entirely wrong and it's not like I was clinical about it because everyone says solo/open. Will need to try that tonight.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mailer posted:

Taking just over an hour to scam missions is still a lot better than spending an hour finding an Anarchy system at war, fifteen minutes traveling there, then flying in circles for another hour before bugging out because you found the one inhabited system in the galaxy without a single USS.

Not for me. I'd rather be fruitlessly flying about, landing, scooping, scanning and whatever else than clicking the menu buttons over and over again. Then again, I don't need the money. Just A-fitted a new Python so I need to build up a stock of materials for the Engineers to get some sweet upgrades. Now that I've said that I realise I will have to grind missions for those weird material rewards, drat it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

I frequently get that on both sides, or get only one faction refreshing. I just figured I was butting up against some sort of finite amount of randomness thing. I had the idea to set up private and from memory it just duplicated my solo game, though this could be entirely wrong and it's not like I was clinical about it because everyone says solo/open. Will need to try that tonight.

What i observed in my space miner days, was that the open board would be around for roughly 15 minutes.
So when i got back from the rings with 30 painite, 80 platinum and some osmium, i was desperatly hoping for open play to have some "bring us metals" missions since i could take the mission, turn in the mission, hop to solo, hop to open and the mission board, including the finished mission i just turned in, would be there again and continue to do so until the next cycle.
This made for some very profitable mining back then.

Havent done any mining in engineer era, but Sothis and Guinagi behaved very similiar in that id get the same open 12 times in a row with fresh rolled solo and private every hop.
So now my modus operandi is to check open once, then switch between solo and private.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Just remember the times when the Vulture hull was supposed to cost 40 millions, and the FdL something like 120 million. Or when repairing a hull from 50% would cost almost as much as a new ship, or when they upped fuel costs and a refuel costed like 150k (and let's remember those were the days when a CG paid 100k-500k tops, and average bounties for wanted NPCs were in the range 2k - 15k instead of the 20k-150k we have today)

:frontear: doesn't know how to balance money, and I don't trust them having learned anything at all :colbert:

Jesus Christ man.. I put all of that behind me. Why the hell would you bring it up?!

Ugh.. That's almost as bad as remembering when ammo costs were so high that bounty hunting really only paid for your ammo after an hour or so.

triggered

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

Jesus Christ man.. I put all of that behind me. Why the hell would you bring it up?!

Ugh.. That's almost as bad as remembering when ammo costs were so high that bounty hunting really only paid for your ammo after an hour or so.

triggered

I was there, and I am scarred for life. The young season 1 children don't know, but we do and we cannot forget nor forgive. We are the new '84ers.

I still remember breaking my soul on the "seeking drugs" exploit, doing countless steroid runs to get my first Python, back when a 300k profit would appear almost gamebreaking :v:

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

hemophilia posted:

My main thing is, are there any groups that would respond to "hey, i'm in the X system of fed space, i'm running a res site, who wants to join in?

I do a fair amont of pvp, and maybe one day when i have the cash to afford getting my rear end handed to me I'll invest in pvp ship or two, but for now i just like shooting AI and harvesting bounties.

I'd be up for joining you for casual PvE -- my handle is Cmdr Scorned As Timber. Maybe we can get a little private group going.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I can fill up my hold in about a half hour but I live in the US so my board refresh is faster than Mailer's and also I don't worry about credits per ton or anything, I just take any delivery mission that's more than 2 million.

Also I have a voice attack macro to log me out and flip me between solo and open and bring back up the mission board, so I can watch whatever on my second screen while all that is happening.

Can you post the scripting sequence for this? It would be seriously useful.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I realised before now how prickly people on the ED forums are. Anything sets them off and you can keep them going very easily.

Man this is like people arguing over cart blocking in Archeage all over again only now the topic is transporting spaceship hulls. :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

I was there, and I am scarred for life. The young season 1 children don't know, but we do and we cannot forget nor forgive. We are the new '84ers.

I still remember breaking my soul on the "seeking drugs" exploit, doing countless steroid runs to get my first Python, back when a 300k profit would appear almost gamebreaking :v:

I also remember 500 credit bounties

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Question: Do other people also have the same "open" missionboard for several refreshes? I see lots of people say "switch between open and solo" but when i do this i always get a new solo and the old open. To me it seems open play refreshes on a timer. While this can be abused in other ways, its not what you want here. You want a fresh mission board every hop.
So you need 2 instances to switch between that generate new boards on entry, like solo, and this is where private group comes in.

Just create a private group with about 4 clicks and can switch from solo to private back and forth and get a fresh instance every pop.
Works for me at least.

It's based on instances. The mission board is instance-wide, and everyone in the same instance gets the same mission board. If the matchmaker puts you right back in the same instance, you'll get the same mission board.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I haven't played since launch, did they buff making money?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Flipswitch posted:

I haven't played since launch, did they buff making money?

yup

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
:siren: ATTENTION EVERYONE :siren:

There is an official vote on whether ship transfer should be instant or not. The thread can be found here and the poll can be found here.

The polling options are stupid grognard poo poo:

quote:

OPTION 1: No, the transfer should be instant.

OPTION 2: Yes there should be a delay of 5 minutes minimum, 100 minutes to cross the human bubble, edge to edge.

Don't let the :spergin: win

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Gromit posted:

Make private groups between yourself and your friends and cycle through those.

I have 3 private groups and can fill a 640t cutter at CEOS in under 10 minutes and that's being picky about the destinations and payouts.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Voted for the delay, thanks for the heads up!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The only way I'd find a delay acceptable is if we could choose a location other than the one we're in. So you could send a ship/module ahead.

Otherwise, for gently caress's sake... the way that poll is phrased, instant is going to lose though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Chrysophylax posted:

:siren: ATTENTION EVERYONE :siren:

There is an official vote on whether ship transfer should be instant or not. The thread can be found here and the poll can be found here.

The polling options are stupid grognard poo poo:

Don't let the :spergin: win

I'm just wondering why nobody has realized that there is an in-universe reasoning for instant ship transfers- the way capital ships jump. They can go from any point in space to any other. So just say that there's a new module that stations can install that allow for that kind of jumping, but it is very expensive to install. Let there be community goals to install the modules throughout the bubble at various stations. Hell, let it be something that can naturally happen in boom-state high-tech systems or something and let players influence the creation of the station modules to give player-groups a real reason to play together. It could be a cool new feature that brings the entire community together, but instead the brown sea insists on whining about realism.

The way Frontier reacts to the community, I bet if someone made a work-up of this system and posted it on the official forums and reddit, it would be patched in ASAP, the way mission NPCs were.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
From the OP of the thread that Chrysophylax linked:

quote:

We’ll run the poll until Monday next week. *Unless there is a significant, majority vote against ship transfer delivery times, along with a high turnout*, we will likely be moving towards implementing plausible delays into ship and module transfer, though such a change may affect when the features comes online.

I’ve tried to make the poll as straightforward as possible, with just two options, please take a moment to read through them before you vote. Basically, it comes down to instant travel versus delivery times. We’re not very interested in having minor delays just for the sake of appearances – if there’s to be a delay, it should try to be roughly appropriate to a bulk freighter’s ability: reasonably slow compared to an explorer type vessel, but able to reach any destination – eventually.

Not sounding super good. Just when I thought Frontier was finally turning the corner on not doing obviously stupid poo poo after the Engineers rebalance. :smith:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sandro Sanmarco posted:

The delivery time would be a minimum of around five minutes, representing basic logistics of getting your ship loaded into a bulk carrier, followed by an additional time cost per light year to be travelled. The ballpark we are looking at would mean a delay of around 100 minutes if you transfered a ship from one edge of human space to the other (around 300 light years).

There are no words :cripes:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's the SRV fuel thing all over again.

Totally loving called it.

tooterfish posted:

Remember when Sandro said SRVs wouldn't have fuel because that just wouldn't be fun?

Yeah.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

I'm just wondering why nobody has realized that there is an in-universe reasoning for instant ship transfers- the way capital ships jump.

IIRC the frameshift drives used by capital ships are older tech that's supposed to take significant time to get from point A to point B still. Correct me if I'm full of poo poo about that though.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mouko posted:

Can you post the scripting sequence for this? It would be seriously useful.
I use autohotkey. Run this script and hit F1 while the mission screen is open to switch to the next mode. The amount of time it takes to load into the game is ~*~WILDLY RANDOM~*~ so I've got a 15 second delay, which gets me there 90%+ of the time. Press F2 will open the mission board if you're just sitting at the Station Services / Return to Surface / Launch nothing position. This assumes your UI navigation is WASD with SPACE as the select key. Not sure if this is the standard mapping? F3 to stop the script (and reload it) if it is going haywire on you.
code:
#NoEnv
#Persistent
#UseHook
#Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
#SingleInstance force
SetKeyDelay, 50, 40
#IfWinActive, Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT)
key = 0 ; Set Key to 0 for initial run

F2::
    GoSub, OpenMissionBoard
Return

F3::
    Reload
Return

F1::
    GoSub, ExitToMainMenu
    key++ ; Add 1 to value "key" each cycle
    if key = 1
    {
        GoSub, OpenPlayMode 
    }
    else if key = 2
    { 
        GoSub, GroupPlayMode 
    } 
    else if key = 3
    {
        GoSub, SoloPlayMode
    }
    Sleep, 15000
    GoSub, OpenMissionBoard
return

ExitToMainMenu:
    Send, {Escape}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, ww{Space}
    Sleep, 800
    Send, d{Space}
    Sleep, 4000
return

OpenMissionBoard:
    Send, {Space}
    Sleep, 5000
    Send, sss
    Send, {Space}
return

OpenPlayMode:
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, {Space}
return

GroupPlayMode:
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, {Space}
return

SoloPlayMode:
    Send, s{Space}
    Sleep, 1000
    Send, ss{Space}
    key = 0
return
On another front, I got 4x Modular Terminals for a mission reward and I don't need them because I've already unlocked Marco Uslesso. I think I can just discard (Abandon) them in an instance with another player and they can scoop them up right? Does anyone want them? I am in Wyrd but I can fly 100ly to somewheres if you need.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It's based on instances. The mission board is instance-wide, and everyone in the same instance gets the same mission board. If the matchmaker puts you right back in the same instance, you'll get the same mission board.

Oh, that makes sense.
So if im in the bumfuck nebula chances are im alone in that instance and wont be put into another one since not enough players are there to warrant a second one?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Voted, but it's pretty much a fools errand at this point. Never underestimate the grognards ability to spite himself for the sake of 'realism' :ohdear:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm highly amused and disappointed that the "instant trasnfers will undermine the scale of the galaxy" bit made it into the considerations.

You can't send a ship to a place with no station.
You can't send a ship to a station with no ship yard.
You have to be there to request your ship be sent to you (no sending it ahead of you).

So how in the gently caress does that undermine the scale of the galaxy?

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

timn posted:

From the OP of the thread that Chrysophylax linked:

Not sounding super good. Just when I thought Frontier was finally turning the corner on not doing obviously stupid poo poo after the Engineers rebalance. :smith:

100 minutes for across the bubble means I will NEVER use this feature.... because it's faster just to cross it yourself. The only way this is good is if you can order ships around remotely, otherwise, totally trash.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is no one on board with my idea that ships are transported via NPC time travel interdictors? It's so simple and fits in this totally realistic game in which the few immortal, inexhaustible pilots hop between isolated dimensions at many times the speed of light after being handed one of an infinite supply of ships by an anonymous benefactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Another case study for why listening to a video game community can be a really stupid loving idea. What is wrong with people...

• Locked thread