Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alaois posted:

HOW CAN SOMEONE BE THIS loving GOONY ABOUT CANDLES JESUS CHRIST

You're really asking this? LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Please stop bickering about racism. Instead, learn to make butter candles in emergencies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge1O9rH__5Y

This use of toilet paper and frozen sticks of butter is a reasonable alternative to just buying candles the next time you're at the store.

My favourite part is how he got the butter by raiding his "Wife's baking supplies." Because real men don't know where to get butter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Caedus posted:

A lesson in bias. I started the video rolling my eyes at the funny Chinese army shovel and I finished it completely impressed and wondering where I could get one. You have a convert to the one true utensil.

https://www.amazon.ca/Chinese-Military-Emergency-Original-Waterproof/dp/B00AXQHZZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473218253&sr=8-1&keywords=WJQ-308

:mad:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

Lifehack: don’t invite smokers to your parties.

What if you are one yourself? Filthy, dirty smokers are people too.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Lifehack: DON'T SMOKE

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
why don't you guys just go to the fuckin movies or something while the power is out???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheerfullydrab posted:

What if you are one yourself? Filthy, dirty smokers are people too.

No.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wasabi the J posted:

why don't you guys just go to the fuckin movies or something while the power is out???

It was during a winter storm and I was without power for 3 days.

That's too many movies :(

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

For nine days? They may not kick you out, but I don't think it's wise to live on popcorn and Raisinets that long.

But the short outages here are usually after a late evening thunderstorm (8 or 9 p.m.) and by that time, you wouldn't make the last showing in this lovely little town.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wasabi the J posted:

Because you live on the same circuit as the cinema.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I keep forgetting that people lose power for real reasons. Sorry.

I live in a city where three consecutive days of rain is a news story.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lifehack: live close to the only hospital for miles so your grid is a priority and you very rarely get blackouts.

Bonus: you're close to a hospital in case you make the mistake of taking the advice of any of the thread content.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I have one of these above the door in every room in my apartment. When its dark they auto-switch in to motion detect mode, last about a year on 2x AA Ikea batteries. Good for night pissing also. PISSHACK

http://www.dx.com/p/pir-motion-activated-8-led-white-light-silver-2-x-aa-100745

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Sep 7, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well yeah but they're really ugly. MY AESTHETICS!!!

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Dude, you taste stuff you've scraped rancid gunk from. Aestethics is the least of your problems.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Use a lifehack dummy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

docLeder posted:

Dude, you taste stuff you've scraped rancid gunk from.

You're mother.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When you're used to eating fermented milk with a velvety layer of fungus on top, dairy products don't really hold many fears.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

AlphaKretin posted:

Lifehack: live close to the only hospital for miles so your grid is a priority and you very rarely get blackouts.

Bonus: you're close to a hospital in case you make the mistake of taking the advice of any of the thread content.

Pro hack here. I grew up on the same grid as the hospital down in west palm and we never had to worry about our power being out for more than a day. Made living through hurricanes easy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

If you want to cure yourself, get a raging hard on, start jacking it, and then bite right into a fresh bar of soap. You're erection will die and you'll be cured.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY15tM1ROOA

Lifehack: Do all this poo poo instead of buying a bag clip.

Lifehack, eat the whole bag of chips in one sitting after you open it. No need for a bag clip.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I hate how "the adhesive is tacky". THE ADHESIVE IS ADHESIVE YOU MORON.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is what it has all come to: hating how instead of liking how :negative:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The right way to peel a candle. :smug:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Like everyone in this thread, I am committed to a good terrible lifehack. I'm just not four hundred dollars committed to them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Caedus posted:

Like everyone in this thread, I am committed to a good terrible lifehack. I'm just not four hundred dollars committed to them.

That's just the price in Canada. In the US it's only $78. :canada:
https://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Military-Emergency-Original-Waterproof/dp/B00AXQHZZO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why the gently caress does it have a waterproof case? Does widdle princess' widdle combat spade start flaking if it gets moist?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Karate Bastard posted:

Why the gently caress does it have a waterproof case? Does widdle princess' widdle combat spade start flaking if it gets moist?

It’s from China, so yes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Platystemon posted:

It’s from China, so yes.

And then you've got lead in everything.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's just a regular entrenching tool.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=entrenching+tool

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Yeah, it's just a eastern-block-style entrenching tool. I used to see them advertised all the time in the back of magazines as SPETZNAZ SPECIAL FORCES LETHAL THROWING SHOVEL or some BS.

I love that the Amazon page lists "18 functions", luckily including "shoveling", and hilariously listing "mini-shield".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Canadians in WWI had a trench shovel with a hole in it to use as a shield you could shoot through. Turns out that a shovel that's thick enough to be bulletproof is very heavy and a shovel with a hole in it doesn't work well as a shovel.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ensign Expendable posted:

a shovel with a hole in it doesn't work well as a shovel.

Thread title change requested.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Canadians in WWI had a trench shovel with a hole in it to use as a shield you could shoot through. Turns out that a shovel that's thick enough to be bulletproof is very heavy and a shovel with a hole in it doesn't work well as a shovel.

It also wasn't really that good as a shield either, right? Like unless it hit at an oblique angle, at typical ranges a rifle would go straight through.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

a shovel with a hole in it doesn't work well

Someone's never hosed a shovel before, obviously :smuggo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It also wasn't really that good as a shield either, right? Like unless it hit at an oblique angle, at typical ranges a rifle would go straight through.

Through the hole that is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There was a time that I'd say that no one is this stupid, but that was before the Trump campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He's back to prove you non-believers wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKamQglrSQY