Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Travis343 posted:

WiiU has mario kart though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zachack posted:

It's much dumber and you can read Wikipedia for the synopsis. Note that no one seemed to update the page with a summary of season 2, because it managed to be dumber and kinda boring, which at least the first season avoided somewhat.

Whaaaat? Season 2 of Helix was completely goddamn bonkers. Like a character going on an imaginary fishing trip with his dead adopted son as the Andy Griffith Show theme played bonkers. Or Steven Weber's character being locked in a cage for 30 years, gets out and then pretty much instantly gets his head chopped off.

The only thing that really annoyed me about season 2 was that they still didn't go into how they became immortal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you''re judging a console on racing games, this whole generation is worthless because nobody's ported over Outrun 2.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

muscles like this? posted:

The only thing that really annoyed me about season 2 was that they still didn't go into how they became immortal.
They're aliens from Zeist.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you''re judging a console on racing games, this whole generation is worthless because nobody's ported over Outrun 2.

Nor Daytona and Cruisin USA.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

muscles like this? posted:

Whaaaat? Season 2 of Helix was completely goddamn bonkers. Like a character going on an imaginary fishing trip with his dead adopted son as the Andy Griffith Show theme played bonkers. Or Steven Weber's character being locked in a cage for 30 years, gets out and then pretty much instantly gets his head chopped off.

You're talking about maybe 5 minutes of total run time with no real addition to the story or plot, meanwhile let's spend far longer on Teen Angst co-starring Lennie. Season 1, for as stupid as it was, at least managed to keep upping the ante by revealing one ridiculous twist after another. You mean, under this secret base with zombies... is another secret base with zombies? And then, under that, is a secret cabin?!? Where I was raised??!?!? By an immortal Japanese guy?!?!?!?! and Nosferatsu is in another castle!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The story was already so overstuffed going into S2 that anything not directly contributing to S1 came across as a distraction. Which is fine if they were interesting, but Weber being Dr. Mengele by way of Jim Jones wasn't nearly as entertaining as it should have been because he played things too benignly for too long. Now let's spend more time with sibling rivalry that wasn't interesting in S1.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There doesn't need to be racing games any more. Burnout Paradise exists, and that's the Forever Driving Game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

There doesn't need to be racing games any more. Burnout Paradise exists, and that's the Forever Driving Game.

It's objectively not a racing game but BeamNG.drive is proof that there can always be more cargames

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just remembered that I quite enjoyed The Strain season 1 for what it was, but watching Helix directly after meant I never got around to watching season 2.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

It's objectively not a racing game but BeamNG.drive is proof that there can always be more cargames

Okay that's cheating. That is like when people are playing pogs and you take out the two pound solid steel Nickelodeon GUTS slammer and toss that poo poo on top. You can't just do that, Travis343. You can't just do that, I saved up all my allowance on my X-Men the Animated Series limited edition pog where you can see Rogue's boobs.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Okay that's cheating. That is like when people are playing pogs and you take out the two pound solid steel Nickelodeon GUTS slammer and toss that poo poo on top. You can't just do that, Travis343. You can't just do that, I saved up all my allowance on my X-Men the Animated Series limited edition pog where you can see Rogue's boobs.

that is a very specific grievance you have there, do you need to like, talk to someone?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Unfortunately, only '90s therapists would get it, so.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sounds like a very specific form of 90s kids that tries to recommend Hey, Arnold to their patients.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation can't leave his stoop!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I watched Hey Arnold! in the early 2000s and that's responsible for my confusion over if I count as a 90s kid or not. Older stuff like Clarissa Explains It All flies right by me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Were you born in the 80s? Because if not, no.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aphrodite posted:

Were you born in the 80s? Because if not, no.

As one of only 3 people at my workplace over 30 (indeed, over 25,) this is a conversation I've had a few times too many.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel a good measure of whether you were a '90s kid or not is whether you at least had two digits in your age when it hit 2001. If not, sorry.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If we're going by Nickelodeon rules, the true test is what Legends of the Hidden Temple team you want(ed) to be on.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I was born in 1990. Nearly half of that decade was over by the time I started even remembering things well enough to get nostalgic over them, and half of the next was spent desperately trying NOT to be a kid of any sort.

I am a kid of two decades. There is no clickbait for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Inkspot posted:

If we're going by Nickelodeon rules, the true test is what Legends of the Hidden Temple team you want(ed) to be on.

I watched Legends of the Hidden Temple too! It was like, kid Ninja Warrior...

Anyway, I've always known now that "90s kid" means "kid who lived through the 90s", but I used to be puzzled by it because I was born mid-decade and remember a lot of poo poo from that era, and a lot of the clickbait poo poo is CatDog and Rugrats and all that jazz, which I loved as a kid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you weren't just old enough to catch the first TMNT movie in theaters, you were born at the wrong time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I remember the first time someone told me their first video game system was N64.

First movie I saw at the theater was Ghostbusters 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toxxupation posted:

I don't own an XBox 1 and haven't even checked if it has a new Forza, but Forza 4 justified the entirety of the purchase price for my 360. Like, I still wouldn't buy an Xbone if it had a new Forza and it was better in every way to the last one because I don't have the time anymore for that kind of gaming, but I totally understand the mindset

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Straight Forza is some dull poo poo.
Horizon on the other hand...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh god, I started re-reading Maximum Carnage and forgot how much weird continuity poo poo was going on, most of which I don't really understand. Peter's Parents are back from the dead (I think they're robots eventually) Spider-Doppleganger, both Norman and Harry Osborn are dead at the moment. Mary Jane is smoking because of the stress of being married to Spider-Man. Dagger of Cloak and Dagger dies in the second or third issue, I'm pretty sure she comes back during the event, but that's some hosed up poo poo. Also Carnage has killed at least 54 people in the two or three issues I've read, and he's not halfway done from what i remember. That dude who wrote Seduction of the Innocent might not have been half wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not to spoil you but the comic ends with the Marvel equivalent of the care bare stare so it ends up all right.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I like Dirt Rally because I am a monster who desires punishment

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not to spoil you but the comic ends with the Marvel equivalent of the care bare stare so it ends up all right.

I read it when I was like twelve, there was a graphic novel, I'd just forgotten poo poo like Peter's robot parents and everyone named Osborn being dead, and Molten Man showing up at Harry Osborn's funeral. The whole thing is a continuity mess, which actually made it mesmerizing to 12 year old me.

I'm mostly just looking forward to when Captain America shows up, that was my first "wait, Captain America is actually loving awesome" moment.

Question time what the gently caress is up with the weird Spider-Doppelganger, and who the gently caress is Demogoblin, he hasn't shown up yet but I know he does and it feels like a weird pun on hemoglobin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After Secret Wars and Civil War, I would love if Marvel's next event sequel/revitalization was that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Question time what the gently caress is up with the weird Spider-Doppelganger, and who the gently caress is Demogoblin, he hasn't shown up yet but I know he does and it feels like a weird pun on hemoglobin.
Hahahahahahaha
These both have really awesome answers, are related, and involve crossovers.

During Inferno, Hobgoblin sells his soul to N'astirh so that he can beat up Spider-man. Later, he gets the demonic corruption purged from him, which forms an evil duplicate who names himself Demogoblin because he's a demon version of the classic Goblin.

Then Infinity War starts up with Magus making evil duplicates of all the heroes, with lots of gnashing brood-level teeth and claws because why not, and for whatever reason the Spider-man duplicate has six arms like the classic story of when Spider-man had six arms. Demogoblin shows up and is like "wow evil duplicate powers activate" and bonds or some poo poo with Doppelganger, preventing him from disappearing with the other evil duplicates when Magus is defeated. Then they buddy up and try to kill Hobgoblin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Demogoblin is the one you try out at the shop to help you decide whether you want to get the full version.

I think the only thing keeping Maximum Carnage from being the most 90s of all 90s Spider-Man stories is the absence of Solo smashing through a window firing a machine gun shouting, "WHILE I LIVE, TERROR DIES!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite WTF continuity moment in a "classic" story is how in Death of Superman the Supergirl at the time was some weird shapeshifter thing, which isn't mentioned in the story at all. So in her big fight scene with Doomsday she gets punched in the head and it turns into a weird flesh colored goo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And was shacked up with Lex Luthor. Luthor knows what he likes in a lady, lots of pink protoplasm.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 7, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

And was shacked up with Lex Luthor.

Who, at the time, was a clone of the original Lex Luthor pretending to be his own red-haired illegitimate son from Australia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought it was the original's brain just put into a clone body.

Dat fookin aussie accent though

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I love protoplasm Supergirl. She was an ongoing reminder of what an unmitigated disaster the Crisis on Infinite Earths/Zero Hour/Etc. reboots were.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

And was shacked up with Lex Luthor. Luthor knows what he likes in a lady, lots of pink protoplasm.
Isn't there a part of that run where he has her do the creepy "shapeshift into having bigger boobs/sluttier clothes/more ridiculous hair" thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there a part of that run where he has her do the creepy "shapeshift into having bigger boobs/sluttier clothes/more ridiculous hair" thing

This never happened. There's a single page where she changes into four different shapes but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm posting this trailer everywhere I can because I'm in stunned disbelief that not only is this movie being made, but it has an absolute murderer's row of Oscar talent acting within it. It blows my mother loving mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMZlHYfXWc

• Locked thread