Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

PBS Newshour posted:

Turn A is what I'm watching after G Gundam. It's the series I've been most interested in after the UC stuff, but I heard it works better after some other Gundam stuff?? So I have been holding off on it. Also I figure it's better to not just watch all the stuff I think I will like off the back so I can be surprised by stuff like Wing.

It's basically wedged in canon as the final Gundam series ever chronologically, so it has some callbacks, but you won't miss much if you've only seen pre-UC0093 stuff. Most of the callbacks are real subtle, aside from the presence of a few MS designs that are pretty prominent. It's not like the main squad meets Amuro Ray's ghost and sits down for a chat with him or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ghost Amuro would be cooler than living Amuro tho.

Not that I dislike Amuro he just took a while to grow on me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
G Gundam is basically the build fighters of the mid 90s, except way more over the top and having no budget, plus dialogue that gives wing a run for cheesiness

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

PBS Newshour posted:

Ghost Amuro would be cooler than living Amuro tho.

Not that I dislike Amuro he just took a while to grow on me.

Ghost Amuro sez: What the gently caress why are you guys still doing this?!

Also one last moment of love for Gundam Wing before we move on, I love the opening music for it!

One day we'll get Frozen Teardrop. One day.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

G Gundam is basically the build fighters of the mid 90s, except way more over the top and having no budget, plus dialogue that gives wing a run for cheesiness
I think the love story actually feels earned in G Gundam and thematically relevant to what that show was about, and I'm not sure I can quite say the same thing about the love stories in Build Fighters even if they did have a lot of really cute moments.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 7, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like the part in Wing where Treize just says 'nope' when Relena got appointed queen of the world because she couldn't put together an army to stop the colonies from dropping something on eartg.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Panzeh posted:

I like the part in Wing where Treize just says 'nope' when Relena got appointed queen of the world because she couldn't put together an army to stop the colonies from dropping something on eartg.

Yeah,Treize is one of my favorite characters from Wing. Shame most of his coolest moments aren't on Youtube because flimsy copyright laws.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the part where Treize program it so the Gundam pilots could come into his house cause he was really hoping they could all just hang out some day.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I liked the part where Treize challenges Zechs to a duel to end the war and Zechs says no. Plus bathing in roses while ordering assassinations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SeanBeansShako posted:

One day we'll get Frozen Teardrop. One day.

You don't know the horror you wish upon the world...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

chiasaur11 posted:

I dunno.

That water park was, like, 7/10. Max.

I just want you to know that I appreciated this reference

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

You don't know the horror you wish upon the world...
As much as I'd also like to see the mountain of madness that is Frozen Teardrop animated, even I know that Sunrise would scale the insanity back to some degree. The actual presented product would not be quite as insane as the novels are, thus taking away from the full FT experience.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AradoBalanga posted:

As much as I'd also like to see the mountain of madness that is Frozen Teardrop animated, even I know that Sunrise would scale the insanity back to some degree. The actual presented product would not be quite as insane as the novels are, thus taking away from the full FT experience.

Get the guys doing Jojo to do it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My body is ready for the extra insanity and ultimate validation of Frozen Teardrop, even if it gets truncated.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What is Frozen Teardrop and could it be work into Super Robot Wars?

Also is eye patch narrator in G Gundam the younger brother of Wing's unseen narrator?

And why isn't this show about Jimmy Crocket?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

PBS Newshour posted:

Frozen Teardrop is the absolutely insane novel sequel to Wing where the writer heard everyone call wing wacky and proceeded to crush a pen and shout "I'll show THEM wacky, I'll show THEM ALL"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

PBS Newshour posted:

Also is eye patch narrator in G Gundam the younger brother of Wing's unseen narrator?

And why isn't this show about Jimmy Crocket?

A completely insane sequel novel to Gundam Wing that takes place mostly on mars.

Yes that is 100% canon. The zeta narrator is their father.

Because he's not Neo-Japanese, obvs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Frozen Teardrop Heero Yui gets a new gundam called Snow White which has the ability to shoot ice swans and fire phoenixes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

In Frozen Teardrop Heero Yui gets a new gundam called Snow White which has the ability to shoot ice swans and fire phoenixes.

SOLD

Also there is a mummy gundam this is the best show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Did Sekai help build this thing?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Raxivace posted:

Did Sekai help build this thing?

Only if it beats its enemies by spamming the same attacks over and over again.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Frozen Teardrop is the absolutely insane novel sequel to Wing where the writer heard everyone call wing wacky and proceeded to crush a pen and shout "I'll show THEM wacky, I'll show THEM ALL"
Case in point: Zechs' daughter (who looks a lot like her aunt Relena) has a crush on Duo's son (who looks a lot like Duo), and decides the best time to invite him on a picnic is in the middle of a mobile suit battle. No really, she straight up sets up a picnic while mobile suits are fighting within several hundred yards or so of their location.

It's also the original Wing writer (aka, the one who got fired early on during the TV series' production) retconning a bunch of random crap into Wing's universe via a metric fuckton of flashbacks. Like how Trieze was sexually assaulted by his mother as a child because he looked a lot like his father. Or how the only reason Duo hooked up with Hilde was because his motorcycle broke down and Duo needed the cash to fix it, and promptly leaves Hilde and his son once said motorcycle is fixed.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lets not forget that Relena's grandma was a mobile suit pilot who was in love with the original Heero Yuy, who had a brother who's actually Treize's father. Also Noin has a brother who looks like Zechs who turns out to be a dictator and takes over Mars while pretending to be Zechs, who basically wanders around Mars like a hobo with his daughter.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

this is poes law as gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Frozen Teardrop is impossible to ridicule because it is its own parody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

The Snow White Gundam loads different elemental cartridges. Red is a phoenix, blue is an ice swan, black a tornado and white an EMP blast. They can also be combined. (Red and Blue creates a thermal shockwave for example.) It also has angel wings made of nanomachines.

There's also Scheherazade Gundam (which looks like a harem girl and has anti-nanomachine veils), Warlock Gundam (Deathscythe with combining scythes), Promethus Gundam (Heavyarms with a giant cross-shaped gun) and Epyon Bai (Wufei's new unit, three-headed Epyon) and also there's Tallgeese Heaven which has anti-nanomachine nanomachines and a black Wing Zero and the original Epyon is back and upgraded but piloted by an evil holographic Zechs and...

Frozen Teardrop is amazing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 8, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

AradoBalanga posted:

the only reason Duo hooked up with Hilde was because his motorcycle broke down and Duo needed the cash to fix it, and promptly leaves Hilde and his son once said motorcycle is fixed.

So by God of death he meant God of deadbeat dads?

Poor Hilde.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

So by God of death he meant God of deadbeat dads?

Poor Hilde.
Yeah, as crazy as Frozen Teardrop is, there a few points that really are genuinely bad. Such as turning Duo from the chipper nice dude who helped hold the team together into a bit of crappy husband/father who would walk out on his family just to ride his motorcycle across Mars.

Even Duker Iq would call Duo out for being that much of a douchebag.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, as crazy as Frozen Teardrop is, there a few points that really are genuinely bad. Such as turning Duo from the chipper nice dude who helped hold the team together into a bit of crappy husband/father who would walk out on his family just to ride his motorcycle across Mars.

Even Duker Iq would call Duo out for being that much of a douchebag.

Even? Especially.

The proud biking tradition of the middle ages should never be disgraced like that!

A biker is supposed to be good to his lady, like he's supposed to be good to his ride. Disrespecting one disrespects the other.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jimmy Crocket is one of the good guys!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tomino, 1998 posted:

What I want modern day Gundam fans to understand is that Gundam wasn't nurtured by the PlaModel enthusiasts. It was young women who first came to the after recording studio, and Gundam is a work that began with their support. And it was a work that had no connection to the popularity of Gundam PlaModels. So I think the most important thing is creating a work that will attract those kind of girls to it again. I don't think movies as an entertainment industry can succeed without touching on that kind of fundamental portion.
https://twitter.com/80s_anime/status/773720945802481664

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED kind of proved him correct too, regardless of its actual quality.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

“The very first fans of the original Gundam were young women. Definitely not the PlaModel enthusiasts."
"With both Gundam and Raideen, of the first fans to be active, 90% were girls. Among a gathering of 1000 fans, about 100 were boys."

e:
“Around when the first cour ended, young women began to gather to the after recording studio." (1)
“It took until much later for male fans make an uproar, around the time series got canceled. I thought: You’re late to the party!” (2)

"To sum it up:
1. Young girls were among the earliest supporters [of Gundam]
2. He was surprised and excited to see them waiting outside the recording studio.
3. He appreciated that they were attracted to the story/characters over the merchandising/genre trappings.
4. He hates PlaModel fans (lol)."

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 8, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tomino is an odd duck, but I like the cut of his jib.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Miyazaki is the grumpy old man of anime, Tomino is the crazy man shouting at kids to get off his lawn.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

tomino is cool as hell and i look forward to when everyone appreciates how good he is at visual storytelling

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Parallax posted:

how good he is at visual storytelling
Eh you're gonna have to justify this one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Eh you're gonna have to justify this one.

Zeta Gundam. How often does Quattro act without speaking? There are a ton of visual character tics in Zeta that I don't notice in other anime. A very early one that stuck out to me was when Kamille's mother died. Quattro is on the bridge with the rest of the command staff, but the moment they hear that Kamille has stolen the MK II to save his mom, Quattro immediately bolts for the door without a word. It's not even the focus of the scene; the shot never moves from the captain being center frame, but Quattro is moving in the background as incidental animation. It is subtle stuff like that that sets apart Tomino led Gundam series from non Tomino series. Characters express themselves through action or inaction more than through dialogue.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Zeta Gundam. How often does Quattro act without speaking? There are a ton of visual character tics in Zeta that I don't notice in other anime. A very early one that stuck out to me was when Kamille's mother died. Quattro is on the bridge with the rest of the command staff, but the moment they hear that Kamille has stolen the MK II to save his mom, Quattro immediately bolts for the door without a word. It's not even the focus of the scene; the shot never moves from the captain being center frame, but Quattro is moving in the background as incidental animation. It is subtle stuff like that that sets apart Tomino led Gundam series from non Tomino series. Characters express themselves through action or inaction more than through dialogue.
Eh this doesn't quite accurately describe how that part of the scene is framed IMO, looking at it again on YouTube.

We have a shot of the crew hearing about Kamille piloting the Mk. II and then cut to Quattro, mostly centered in the foreground, who then wordlessly runs to the background. He's not in the background to begin with.

Then he starts running...

And then we cut to Captain Henken.

According to Wikipedia, Tomino didn't direct this episode btw. It was a guy named Hiroyuki Yokoyama. I don't think it's a bad scene, but other than Quattro running away wordlessly I don't see anything particularly noteworthy on a formal level...and that's not an especially high bar to pass to begin with to be honest.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I use it as an example because it us a much better use of character than "balls fist, looks sullen, then shouts" that I see all the goddamn time. It isn't particularly noteworthy I admit, but I did notice it because it felt more natural for a guy to spring into action than to strike a pose and declare they are going to act. It's a visual medium, don't say you will do something just do it.