Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
On my desk at work in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

For those of you that use sleep trackers, when do you charge your watch?
https://david-smith.org/blog/2015/09/21/how-to-wear-your-apple-watch-24-slash-7/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rubiks Pubes posted:

For those of you that use sleep trackers, when do you charge your watch?
I don't use a sleep tracker, but find that charging it while I shower/shave/etc in the morning is almost always enough time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

MarcusSA posted:

Some dude here said his bother surfs with his and hasn't had an issue.

Oh man I would stink eye the poo poo out of anyone I saw in the water with an apple watch. That is some orange county garbage right there.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I'm trying to figure out which watch to get ready to preorder on the 7th and I'm still waffling about 38 vs 42, assuming they stay the same. If I buy online should I expect that if I don't like the size I can switch it up at the fruit stand, one way or the other? Understand that for the first month or so quantities will probably be limited.

I guess I could go to the fruit stand NOW to try them on, but it's not in the cards this weekend and I'm going to be kind of busy next week so ehh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can exchange in the first two weeks if they have the one you want in stock otherwise you can return to the store. But I'll say this: unless you are a very small person, 42mm will be fine for you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for confirmation. I was going to get the 42 anyway so that'll probably work out fine for me :)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah I have kind of skinny wrists and the 42mm looks fine. The 38 looked ridiculous on me when I tried it on.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My wrists are somewhat skinny, and the 42 looks ridiculous on my arm, and all of my coworkers shared my opinion.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The 42mm also has a bigger battery. I would guess the next gen would be the same way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I have I dunno, average wrists maybe? Either casing size looked fine, I just went with the 42 cause the width on the Milanese loop looked better, the 38 version looked a bit thin to me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have tiny man wrists but the 38mm screen is so small it made me wonder why bother.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I weigh 150 and never work out so my wrists are tiny as hell and the 38mm looks like it's made for penguins.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Am I weird for wanting them to come out with a larger model for large manly wrists?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Apple Watch Plus.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Am I weird for wanting them to come out with a larger model for large manly wrists?

No cause the 42 is pretty normal sized. My big friends look silly even with that.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bigger guys do look like they are wearing a dainty little watch with the 42mm. I'm a fairly normal sized guy with normal sized wrists and the 42mm seems like a light, but not small, watch. Especially compared to what the current trends in fine wristwear are. A new 44mm/45mm that was also thinner would probably feel like an overall smaller watch than the current 42mm.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Apple Watch Tess Holliday Edition.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You could always bulk it up with a ridiculous looking case :v:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I believe Samsung has giant man watches for you fatties

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess it's really no indication of what will happen on Wednesday, but when AW was originally announced did it ship immediately or was it one of those "available on xyz, order now" things? I can't remember that presentation to save my life.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I hate being that guy, but if you had googled "Apple announces Apple Watch" it's literally the in the headline of the first result.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fair enough; My bad I should have done the obvious.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I got the 38mm one because I'm cheap :shrug:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

The 42mm looks too clunky and bulky even on big gorilla arms.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LOL no. It's like the same size as many common, popular men's watches, never mind ridiculously oversized things like Shinola or Android watches whatever. It's thinner and lighter than my Seiko diver with similar dimensions.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Two non-looks-related things:

1) It may have been due to something else, but I originally got a 38mm sport and found the battery charge struggled to reach 22-24 hours. Switched to a 42, and I easily can count on 26, even with a 30 minute workout.

2) I find it noticeably easier to enter the passcode on the 42mm watch (which you need to do every time you put it on, if it's enabled - and it has to be enabled if you want to use Apple Pay). Pretty minor point.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Can we all just admit that people with the 38mm are poor and stupid and probably dumb as well

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AWWNAW posted:

The 42mm looks too clunky and bulky even on big gorilla arms.

lol no it doesn't

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Can we all just admit that people with the 38mm are poor and stupid and probably dumb as well

Probably, let me just make sure the 38 isn't what looks best on me before I agree.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yep, and the 42mm too!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

LODGE NORTH posted:

*buys a $300 watch*

heh stupid poors, why bother. clearly i am superior in buying a watch that is imperceptibly bigger

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Has anybody else's watch developed dark red edges around the screen when the screen is off? I just noticed it a few days ago along with an obvious red spot midway up the left side of the screen as well. Is this some kind of weird OLED thing or should I prepare to buy an Apple Watch 2?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

2) I find it noticeably easier to enter the passcode on the 42mm watch (which you need to do every time you put it on, if it's enabled - and it has to be enabled if you want to use Apple Pay). Pretty minor point.

Or you can set it to unlock the watch when you unlock your phone (if the former is on your wrist).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

JamesOff posted:

Or you can set it to unlock the watch when you unlock your phone (if the former is on your wrist).
You know, I didn't realize that so I checked and I actually have that setting on. Guess that shows how much I use my phone.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, if one were to be in the market for the apple watch: for the next couple or three years, is the new series 2 or whatever they are calling it worth the premium over the current version if you have no need for the gps or waterproofing?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The current model does everything I would expect a smart watch to do so yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The current model does everything I would expect a smart watch to do so yes.

Pretty much this. I don't have any reason to upgrade to the series 2. Maybe if I did some swimming or something but it looks like the Apple watch will survive another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Tide posted:

So, if one were to be in the market for the apple watch: for the next couple or three years, is the new series 2 or whatever they are calling it worth the premium over the current version if you have no need for the gps or waterproofing?

Definitely. In fact, with the series one getting a processor upgrade too the actual first gen watch might end up having some crazy fire sales on it.

• Locked thread