Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Has he been thinking about getting a new chair for his office? Has anyone pointed him at the emperor?

Bah, I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just got ridiculed by my boss for forgetting to reschedule a meeting. Regardless of the fact that I worked 26 hours over two days recovering a dark site and spent 12 hours driving. My coworker on the project could have just as easily rescheduled the meeting, but did not and it's my fault for missing a deadline. gently caress me.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, yeah, a company that just hit $1 billion in revenue recently probably shouldn't be using a tiny little 2 branch local bank, but that is a decision made by people with 1 or 2 more digits to their paycheck than I have.

I know, it's terrible. But you will need all the liquor you can afford.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Eh, doesn't have ethernet input, can't connect a serial cable, can't run ssh, telnet, or tracert. Gold, jerry, gold!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ua.com.streamsoft.pingtools&hl=en

Checkmate. :smug:

"can't you just get some cheap cable adapter from that alibabba place I read about on zdnet?" <- actual conversation starter with exec.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We literally just had a "keyboard doesn't work email" not only circumvent the helpdesk and come directly to me, but it was CC'd to the CEO. Why the gently caress? I can't tell if people are trying to somehow make me look bad over a broken keyboard or if they're just that dumb.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
gently caress you Microsoft and your cursed poo poo that is Exchange. But especially gently caress you for not letting people send mail from anything but their primary email. What the gently caress is the reason that is still not implemented? You have a loving "From:" menu, it's NOT THAT loving HARD.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

loving, OS X, users,

That number under "Skips" is just going to keep rising, since there's 8.5 TB to go through. All of them so far are due to leading/trailing spaces and illegal characters in filenames and folders. This data is going from a ReadyNAS 716 to Egnyte's cloud servers, but I used rsync to copy the client's original data from their current Synology to the ReadyNAS (which worked flawlessly). I didn't consider a problem like this until I got here, though.

Once this initial sync is complete, I need to fix the skipped items and force another sync again. I have SSH and root access to the ReadyNAS - is it possible to run some scripts on it directly to try cleaning this up, or should I mount the shares in Linux/OS X and run them that way? I've been referencing some sample scripts online, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. The client is still using the Synology, so I can't just edit the original data right now (we plan on doing a differential rsync from Synology --> ReadyNAS right before transitioning the employees over to Egnyte). Any tips?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

gently caress you Microsoft and your cursed poo poo that is Exchange. But especially gently caress you for not letting people send mail from anything but their primary email. What the gently caress is the reason that is still not implemented? You have a loving "From:" menu, it's NOT THAT loving HARD.
What does this mean? "Send as" permissions have been a thing forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am so, so, sorry.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Aunt Beth posted:

What does this mean? "Send as" permissions have been a thing forever.

Ah, you are a genius! Man, I'm so glad you mentioned this, since I totally didn't think of that. Oh wait, I'm talking about multiple addresses for one mailbox. But apparently you are able to start working at the same shitshow that came up with this crap.

Asin: An account with both test@example.com & test@example.org will only let you send from one of those. Of course you could make mailboxes for all addresses a use wants to send from and then forward replies to just one and pay for every single mailbox.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Ah, you are a genius! Man, I'm so glad you mentioned this, since I totally didn't think of that. Oh wait, I'm talking about multiple addresses for one mailbox. But apparently you are able to start working at the same shitshow that came up with this crap.

Asin: An account with both test@example.com & test@example.org will only let you send from one of those. Of course you could make mailboxes for all addresses a use wants to send from and then forward replies to just one and pay for every single mailbox.
I can't try right now, but if you add an SMTP alias for test@example.org to the test@example.com mailbox, could you then change your From address accordingly when sending a message in Outlook? The Reply address would probably be test@example.org but at least it would look correct in the recipient's inbox.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gounads posted:

Our bank doesn't have a SWIFT code. Try explaining that to a foreign company who wants to give you money.

My credit union doesn't either, but they have a contract with another major bank and basically 'lease' the Swift code when needed. Apparently it's insanely easier than getting our own.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Aunt Beth posted:

I can't try right now, but if you add an SMTP alias for test@example.org to the test@example.com mailbox, could you then change your From address accordingly when sending a message in Outlook? The Reply address would probably be test@example.org but at least it would look correct in the recipient's inbox.

Your advice is so useful, this is totally not the first thing I tried.

Hell, I didn't even bother to Google it before ranting here! https://www.msoutlook.info/question/send-mail-from-additional-exchange-address-or-alias

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Crowley posted:

Live like a Frenchman. :dance:

Pretty much. I take a 1.5 hour lunch to go run and do cardio. When I was working 40 hours a week I was actually way less productive then when I hit 32 - 35.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SEKCobra posted:

But especially gently caress you for not letting people send mail from anything but their primary email. What the gently caress is the reason that is still not implemented? You have a loving "From:" menu, it's NOT THAT loving HARD.

I'll second this. I have a sock puppet alias for a reason, damnit.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ratbert90 posted:

As a salaried and exempt worker, I shoot for 35 hours a week. If I have to do overtime some weeks so be it.

I agree with this on both counts. The reason I said that enforcing it is difficult is because if your workload slowly creeps up to be consistently past 40 a week and your boss isn't taking it seriously or acts like they can't fix it, the only real leverage you have is to explicitly or implicitly threaten to go elsewhere.

I mean, I ran into this in my previous role - I told my boss that I was consistently having to work ~50 hours a week to keep up and it seemed like the rest of the team wasn't doing any better, so we really needed more people on the team. Her response was basically "well, I can't hire anyone else and this isn't expected to be a 40 hour a week job anyway." Sure, I could have gone and dug up something on the HR website saying that I was a 40 hour a week employee and tried to argue with her on it, but at the end of the day what am I going to do when the megacorp decides I'm wrong? I was fortunate enough to get an internal transfer to a team with a different way of doing things but fundamentally I still left that specific job, it was just a less painful process.

If you take the alternate approach of just walking out the door as soon as it's the close of business hours, that's great if it works but it would have gotten me fired in very short order.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SEKCobra posted:

Your advice is so useful, this is totally not the first thing I tried.

Hell, I didn't even bother to Google it before ranting here! https://www.msoutlook.info/question/send-mail-from-additional-exchange-address-or-alias

Make a DL for each address, add send-as permissions. Yes it's lovely.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I agree with this on both counts. The reason I said that enforcing it is difficult is because if your workload slowly creeps up to be consistently past 40 a week and your boss isn't taking it seriously or acts like they can't fix it, the only real leverage you have is to explicitly or implicitly threaten to go elsewhere.

I mean, I ran into this in my previous role - I told my boss that I was consistently having to work ~50 hours a week to keep up and it seemed like the rest of the team wasn't doing any better, so we really needed more people on the team. Her response was basically "well, I can't hire anyone else and this isn't expected to be a 40 hour a week job anyway." Sure, I could have gone and dug up something on the HR website saying that I was a 40 hour a week employee and tried to argue with her on it, but at the end of the day what am I going to do when the megacorp decides I'm wrong? I was fortunate enough to get an internal transfer to a team with a different way of doing things but fundamentally I still left that specific job, it was just a less painful process.

If you take the alternate approach of just walking out the door as soon as it's the close of business hours, that's great if it works but it would have gotten me fired in very short order.

It helps I work for a 36 man company and the CEO was a engineer. He knows that after 40 hours productivity takes a poo poo and you aren't actually getting any real work done.

I did my time years ago working 60 - 80 hour weeks (I did this for 3 years straight.) I will never EVER do that again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Eletriarnation posted:

The thing is, your manager and employer will get away with exactly as much as you let them. It's up to you to hold them accountable to company policies and local laws. It makes a huge difference how you present it: don't act like it's a problem for you that you work too much, no one will care. Act like it is a problem for the company that it does not have enough resources and is not complying with the policies in the employee handbook. By raising these issues and getting them resolved you are being a team player who is looking out for the best interests of the company. This makes it easier to just get on board with doing the right thing.

For example, if you aren't being paid overtime and aren't in one of those rare OT-exempt positions, be the hero that reminds them that the Fair Labor Standards Act exists and that not complying with labor laws is very expensive. You could potentially save them millions of dollars!

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 7, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

the spyder posted:

I just got ridiculed by my boss for forgetting to reschedule a meeting. Regardless of the fact that I worked 26 hours over two days recovering a dark site and spent 12 hours driving. My coworker on the project could have just as easily rescheduled the meeting, but did not and it's my fault for missing a deadline. gently caress me.
"Go gently caress yourself" is an appropriate and reasonable response.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For someone who talks about security so much, the lead tech sure loves asking people for their passwords.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

22 Eargesplitten posted:

For someone who talks about security so much, the lead tech sure loves asking people for their passwords.

It's a test.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

I wish I believed in testing like this. In my experience it's just people ignoring or being lazy about policy for sake of ease of tasks.

I got paged into a conference call with a bunch of people, told it was about a training issue, and then asked to provide root passwords on production, customer-facing servers for some kind of product demo. I couldn't stop myself from laughing out a "no" to them before explaining how against policy it was to request access that way and how many red flags they were throwing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Alereon posted:

The thing is, your manager and employer will get away with exactly as much as you let them. It's up to you to hold them accountable to company policies and local laws. It makes a huge difference how you present it: don't act like it's a problem for you that you work too much, no one will care. Act like it is a problem for the company that it does not have enough resources and is not complying with the policies in the employee handbook. By raising these issues and getting them resolved you are being a team player who is looking out for the best interests of the company. This makes it easier to just get on board with doing the right thing.

For example, if you aren't being paid overtime and aren't in one of those rare OT-exempt positions, be the hero that reminds them that the Fair Labor Standards Act exists and that not complying with labor laws is very expensive. You could potentially save them millions of dollars!

I agree that presenting problems in a constructive manner is important and you can't avoid being exploited if you're not assertive, but sometimes there is a limit to how much you can achieve in an organization much larger than yourself - especially if they're not breaking the rules. I just checked the DoL's document on the matter and I'm definitely eligible to be OT exempt. I don't know of any internal policies that say being stretched on a project is a problem that has to be addressed. If I go to my manager and go "look, we could really do a better job on this project if we had another engineer/more equipment", then he'll say "Sure, I agree but I don't have that or the budget to get it." I can go to his boss but that guy can just say the same thing, and it's probably really not going to be a great look for me to do that.

Furthermore, even if my team thinks that it would be great for us to all get done inside of 40 hours and our manager agrees I'm not sure that it's really a big concern for middle management as long as projects get done.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 8, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nope.

He had me ask for one today. Next time I'm telling him no, because you should never do that for security's sake.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Spend three hours doing an after hours migration between file servers. Had some rough patches, couple of instances of things breaking unexpectedly despite quite a bit of testing prior (couldn't get copies of the production files for "reasons"). Got it all ironed out, things transferred over, everything's done, hooray!

... gently caress, we migrated the wrong batch.

Also known as "don't do fifteen hour days and expect to not make mistakes."

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Alereon posted:

The team I work on has been leaking people, there are no replacements, and we are being continuously asked to justify how much time we spend on projects. The time tracking sucks and that doesn't help. My boss told everyone that we'll be expected to work approx 45 a week and that everyone is being watched to ensure we're not going below 40.

I'm honestly working my rear end off in my at-home time on a Udacity course in the hopes that I can use that to bounce to a "real" data analysis role on another team instead of data ingestion. All of my actual D&E work keeps getting yanked from me so that I can raise output to make up for our team as a whole performing below expectations and I'm loving done.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Boss mailed an assignment to a Tier 1 colleague;

"Could you make an inventory of all the printers and put them into our database, so it will be up 2 date.
If you are not sure how the database works you can ask Sefal for support"

10 minutes later;
"okay boss I will make an inventory and Sefal will put it in the database and mail us when he's done"

gently caress no, I mailed back;
"Hey tier 1 colleague. If you are not sure how to input data in the database, I can show you how to do that. I'm not going to input the data for you. "

It would have been no problem if he had asked me. I would have done it. But to demand it like that without even informing me. Get the gently caress out of here.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

meanieface posted:

The team I work on has been leaking people, there are no replacements, and we are being continuously asked to justify how much time we spend on projects. The time tracking sucks and that doesn't help. My boss told everyone that we'll be expected to work approx 45 a week and that everyone is being watched to ensure we're not going below 40.

I'm honestly working my rear end off in my at-home time on a Udacity course in the hopes that I can use that to bounce to a "real" data analysis role on another team instead of data ingestion. All of my actual D&E work keeps getting yanked from me so that I can raise output to make up for our team as a whole performing below expectations and I'm loving done.

time to uhh as they say it... abandon ship!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Thanks, India team for sending me across a "can you create an account for x" without telling me what he's doing, without sending over any documentation and sending it at the end of your loving workday when the dude starts tomorrow.

I've left it at the bottom of the pile and sent back "i'll be able to do it when i get the documents for it". They do this with way bigger project requests too, so hopefully this will embarass them into doing it properly :argh:

E: Oh my god she's trying to get HR and my boss involved because I want the loving paperwork before giving people access to poo poo (which includes data that's sensitive!)

gently caress you, you dumb piece of poo poo. Send me the loving paperwork.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 8, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

dogstile posted:

Thanks, India team for sending me across a "can you create an account for x" without telling me what he's doing, without sending over any documentation and sending it at the end of your loving workday when the dude starts tomorrow.

I've left it at the bottom of the pile and sent back "i'll be able to do it when i get the documents for it". They do this with way bigger project requests too, so hopefully this will embarass them into doing it properly :argh:

E: Oh my god she's trying to get HR and my boss involved because I want the loving paperwork before giving people access to poo poo (which includes data that's sensitive!)

gently caress you, you dumb piece of poo poo. Send me the loving paperwork.

Listen, you tool, this is an employee and he NEEDS ACCESS. Why can't you understand that? Asking for proper documentation means that he won't be DOING HIS JOB tomorrow? Where do you get off making us unproductive? Are you a racist?

Copied in spirit from an old company's Taiwanese division when we implemented approval requirements for creating user accounts six months before. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A group where I'm at is developing a VM solution for temporary users because our traditional process for bringing an employee in takes too long. Basically they fill out a ticket to get a kerberos account and we send them a download link to a virtualbox image that provides them with an OS configured to access our network. This brings the spinup time from a week to (assuming the ticket gets processed quickly) a couple hours.

A reasonable idea on paper, but the division refuses to support virtualbox or machines we don't provision ourselves so we're still hanging these people out to dry if they have any issues firing up the image. It also assumes they already have a workstation of some kind.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
No, you don't have to send daily slack reminders. There's a command for that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
just got back from meeting with the furniture people for our new office space. The layout for my new area is awful. Just awful. Ugh. Worst part is that I was supposed to get a small round table in front of a whiteboard wall to have a small meeting/training space for my team of four guys, but now the space has seven desks, two of which are blocking where I was supposed to have a meeting space. They moved my manager out to his own office, but put two people from a different team in our space. Ugh ugh ugh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The guy in a remote office that I had to assist in setting up a new laptop is a climate change denier. I didn't know that about him for the first year. He seems intelligent, worked as an analyst at Gartner. One day during a call he did what most crackpots do and randomly interjected an inflammatory comment about his preferred conspiracy. I didn't take the bait but he still prattled on for about five minutes before running out of steam.

Yesterday his midelivered laptop finally showed up and so I got to work helping him out. I was connected to his old laptop so I could get everything copied off of it but that meant closing up the programs he was using. He quickly shuts them down but then he insists he has to show me a PDF. It is of course about climate change denial. There's two tiny graphs on it and he launches into another screed punctuated with cynical cackles.

I wish people could keep their terrible beliefs to themselves.

EDIT: ^^^^^ That small round table is my desk, thank you very much. :smith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

The guy in a remote office that I had to assist in setting up a new laptop is a climate change denier. I didn't know that about him for the first year. He seems intelligent, worked as an analyst at Gartner. One day during a call he did what most crackpots do and randomly interjected an inflammatory comment about his preferred conspiracy. I didn't take the bait but he still prattled on for about five minutes before running out of steam.

Yesterday his midelivered laptop finally showed up and so I got to work helping him out. I was connected to his old laptop so I could get everything copied off of it but that meant closing up the programs he was using. He quickly shuts them down but then he insists he has to show me a PDF. It is of course about climate change denial. There's two tiny graphs on it and he launches into another screed punctuated with cynical cackles.

I wish people could keep their terrible beliefs to themselves.

EDIT: ^^^^^ That small round table is my desk, thank you very much. :smith:

My crackpot tea-party boss at my last job was a nutcase. I carried a little knife around, and I had filed off a safety so I could operate it one handled to cut open boxes, which I did all the time. When I pulled it out, he's flip out start yelling about how OBAMA WAS MAKING MY KNIFE ILLEGAL and i was going to end up in Gitmo. 100% serious, he'd wheel his chair to my cube and start yelling about Obama, and Obamacare, and just flip out. It was madness. Once I asked him "listen, tell me honestly, all politics aside, do you not agree that everyone should have access to affordable healthcare? I mean, just a basic question?" He literally did Ben Affleck figuring out him and Super's mom was named Martha, and his brain crashed, when it rebooted he starting yelling about poors wanting handouts. It was nuts.

He also hated Citibike, even though he lived and worked in NJ, and never went into NYC because he hated NYC. He would yell at me for hours about Citibike ruining the city. "Dude, you never even go into NYC, why do you care?" "OBAMAMAMMAMAMAMAMAMAMA"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My crackpot tea-party boss at my last job was a nutcase. I carried a little knife around, and I had filed off a safety so I could operate it one handled to cut open boxes, which I did all the time. When I pulled it out, he's flip out start yelling about how OBAMA WAS MAKING MY KNIFE ILLEGAL and i was going to end up in Gitmo. 100% serious, he'd wheel his chair to my cube and start yelling about Obama, and Obamacare, and just flip out. It was madness. Once I asked him "listen, tell me honestly, all politics aside, do you not agree that everyone should have access to affordable healthcare? I mean, just a basic question?" He literally did Ben Affleck figuring out him and Super's mom was named Martha, and his brain crashed, when it rebooted he starting yelling about poors wanting handouts. It was nuts.

He also hated Citibike, even though he lived and worked in NJ, and never went into NYC because he hated NYC. He would yell at me for hours about Citibike ruining the city. "Dude, you never even go into NYC, why do you care?" "OBAMAMAMMAMAMAMAMAMAMA"

I had one of these, tho he was a facilities guy. He would come into the fishbowl and rant about how he was looking forward to Obama getting impeached so he could shoot liberals freely.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

You can absolutely do this with Exchange. Maybe not in Outlook, but that's different.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

RFC2324 posted:

I had one of these, tho he was a facilities guy. He would come into the fishbowl and rant about how he was looking forward to Obama getting impeached so he could shoot liberals freely.

We had the Australian equivalent of this come in to quote us on some basic data cabling work. About five minutes in, he started ranting about how Julia Gillard was going to destroy it all, sell the country to China, waste money on climate change bullshit and how there was a glorious right-wing uprising just around the corner.

Fortunately, since I was in charge of getting the quotes I told him to gently caress off and never come back, tore up his quote and got someone else to do the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Going through systems today, cleaning up our monitoring system and I come across this gem:

Yeah, I'm going to need an explanation for that one Jr. Network Dude.

edit: Got an explanation;
[‎9/‎8/‎2016 10:05 AM] Jr. Network Dude: they have a server named lovely dell
[‎9/‎8/‎2016 10:05 AM] Jr. Network Dude: it's an ancient optiplex desktop
[‎9/‎8/‎2016 10:05 AM] Jr. Network Dude: like from 2002

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 8, 2016