Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Alec Eiffel posted:

I never played 1-3 but I want an RPG and Etrian Odyssey IV is cheap. What's it like? Should I get it?

It's a dungeon crawler where you draw your own map and it's harder than your average game, but you need no knowledge of past games to play it. Play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know if IV has a demo, but Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 and 2 have robust demos, so give them a shot to see if you like them. The demos let you continue off them if you decide to purchase them.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

I never played 1-3 but I want an RPG and Etrian Odyssey IV is cheap. What's it like? Should I get it?

Highly recommended. I've not yet played the others, but IV is one of my favorite RPGs in years. It's got fun dungeons and map creation, as well as really exciting enemy encounters and bosses. Very much worth getting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
River City Tokyo Rumble has a release date, it'll be out on September 27 in both regions (digital-only in PAL-land). Buy from Natsume's Amazon store, get a keychain! https://www.amazon.com/River-City-Limited-Keychain-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B01HFRICLE/

Fantastic, fantastic box art.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

River City Tokyo Rumble has a release date, it'll be out on September 27 in both regions (digital-only in PAL-land). Buy from Natsume's Amazon store, get a keychain! https://www.amazon.com/River-City-Limited-Keychain-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B01HFRICLE/

Fantastic, fantastic box art.

Was pre-order an option and that is just sold out or do we have to just wait?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think they're doing preorders.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think they're doing preorders.

Ok, good. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alec Eiffel posted:

Pretty great, definitively old school, worth it for the artwork and battle theme and first dungeon's music alone (when it's $10 anyway... Which is almost always.) Try the demo, and if you enjoy what's there, you've got a nice long game of that to enjoy. My only complaint about it is the sharp difficulty jump at the last boss which might force you into some grinding, but that's just a few hours of frustration on top of a great 40-hour game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a trailer for the Monster Hunter Stories x Zelda collab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBtFxyxqaKY

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I kinda wanna get the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy games. Is there any reason to get the first one, or should I just skip directly to Curtain Call? Like for example a notable amount of songs that are NOT in the second game for some reason?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, Curtain Call includes all the songs from the first game plus a bunch more and new DLC too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Curtain Call is missing one song from the original Theatrhythm - "Somnus", the song from the Versus XIII trailer.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, Curtain Call includes all the songs from the first game plus a bunch more and new DLC too.

Sweet, thanks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
All the DLC I bought for the first Theatrhythm before Curtain Call was announced now merely serves as a giant "thanks for the money, chump" note from Square-Enix

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh my GOD Nintendo where is the Ace Attorney

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh my GOD Nintendo where is the Ace Attorney

12 PM EST just like every Thursday eShop update

I swear it's like people don't wait eagerly for an eShop release multiple times a year! :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Downloading it as we speak

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ace Attorney is available now kids

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Let us know what you think. The IGN review makes it sound pretty nutty. Then again, it is IGN....

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

No DLC option in the main menu? Or do I need to save first?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

SelenicMartian posted:

No DLC option in the main menu? Or do I need to save first?

Yup, hit save, return to title and the DLC option will be open.

Edit: but it doesn't seem to be working right now? I hit the shop button, it does some preparing, then boots me back to the extras menu.

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 8, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FireMrshlBill posted:

Let us know what you think. The IGN review makes it sound pretty nutty. Then again, it is IGN....

A nutty Ace Attorney game?

Heaven forfend

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

A nutty Ace Attorney game?

Heaven forfend

Haha, true. But I meant nutty in not a good way. They made the mysticism angle sound bad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FireMrshlBill posted:

Haha, true. But I meant nutty in not a good way. They made the mysticism angle sound bad.

I know a lot of people who give Phoenix Wright poo poo entirely from the Kurain Channeling aspect of the first 3 games, it'll probably be ok

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

game journalists opinions are literally irrelevant

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Negative: Primary antagonist still Bowser

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I don't wanna look up anything about the game before I play it, is there a recconnded time to play the DLC like there was for Dual Destinies?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The recommended time is some months from now cause it ain't out yet

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why don't they just release DLC cases forever instead of new games

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm sure they'd rather charge the full price for a new game rather than continue to piecemeal the series out. Also I willing to bet that too many people would wait too long to see if a bundle of DLC would come out first or wait for a sale and I don't think any DLC on the 3DS has ever gone on sale.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

Because there was no fingerprinting in Dual Destinies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Because all the cases in each game usually feed into the last case and the overarching story, so that would ruin how they plot out these games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You could do any of those things........................ but as DLC!!!

I'm pretty sure his question was rhetorical

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm thankful of the New 3DS's wifi being able to let me download Phoenix Wright before having to speed off to work. :allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I get the reasoning behind it. I guess I was just hoping for another one or two standalone cases because the whale DLC was great

But it would be neat to live in a perfect universe where you pay to be in the secret ace attorney club + they give you a badge and send you a new case every 2 months until the day you die

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

But it would be neat to live in a perfect universe where you pay to be in the secret ace attorney club + they give you a badge and send you a new case every 2 months until the day you die

They have entire schools centered around this concept.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where do I sign up

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Where do I sign up

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmissions/apply-to-harvard-law-school/

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Looks like the Ace Attorney Costume DLC is up. Get it while it's free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alec Eiffel posted:

Others have already done a good job describing it, but EOIV has a demo so give it a try if the concept sounds good to you. If you like the concept then get it and transfer your progress to the full game because it's one of the best examples of a dungeon crawler in existence.