Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ceciltron posted:

Why did you quit your job?

It was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
How poo poo is Air China? I've got an 11hr straight flight from Beijing to London in November.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The anniversary of DFW's suicide is the 12th, so remember to pour one out for him.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

How poo poo is Air China? I've got an 11hr straight flight from Beijing to London in November.

TGA will probably post here saying I'm crazy and they're awful, but I've flown them a bunch between US and China (star alliance miles) and don't have any real complaints. I've found them better than delta or other American airlines tbh.

You might be delayed leaving Beijing but that's just Beijing being awful and smoggy.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 7, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

TGA will probably post here saying I'm crazy and they're awful, but I've flown them a bunch between US and China (star alliance miles) and don't have any real complaints. I've found them better than delta or other American airlines tbh.

You might be delayed leaving Beijing but that's just Beijing being awful and smoggy.

I mean they aren't good, at least on like delta if a kid is going to poo poo in the aisle you have a flight attendant that will do something about it.

I flew air China once and it was terrible, your experience may vary

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Magna you've been in China far too long to be flying poo poo airlines. Up your game son

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

southern china is cheap and i have no complaints about anything other than the passengers of all the times i flew with them

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

actually only the international flights were good. the national ones i took werent terrible but not great

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

southern china is cheap and i have no complaints about anything other than the passengers

yeah this is why you take better airlines, it isn't because the plane is better

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Dude a King Can of Kirin is like 3 or 4 HKD what on earth is your problem?

Sounds like you're the one with the problem, friend. A much lager problem than I have, get it?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
like i've posted about this before but there are two flights that leave tianjin for seoul almost every day, one leaves at or around11:20 and one at or around 11:45, i can't remember the exact time

one is china eastern, one is korean air. korean air is like 130 bucks more expensive than china eastern, maybe? i'm not sure, changes daily

guess which one...

-is more polite
-has people that have the ability to wait in a queue
-understand when someone says "please wait while we taxi to a complete stop" in three languages
-doesn't have about 45 people wearing yellow hats mindlessly following someone with a yellow flag
-has better alcohol

i mean if you guys wanna take poo poo flights, go for it. its all you dudes. i would just hope if you've been here for like, idk, a long time, in a "real job" to take magna's words, you'd be flying better than air china or other crap local airlines. like chinese airlines are really bad. but to each his own

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Gross. You might as well fly to Hong Kong and get on Cathay

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

caberham posted:

Gross. You might as well fly to Hong Kong and get on Cathay

Meh flying Tokyo > London, then Paris > Tokyo was only 500 USD so I'm not gonna complain much either way.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I personally don't think air China is all that bad. People seem to be pretty well behaved in international flights most the time. It's domestic flights that are a poo poo show.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

like i've posted about this before but there are two flights that leave tianjin for seoul almost every day, one leaves at or around11:20 and one at or around 11:45, i can't remember the exact time

one is china eastern, one is korean air. korean air is like 130 bucks more expensive than china eastern, maybe? i'm not sure, changes daily

guess which one...

-is more polite
-has people that have the ability to wait in a queue
-understand when someone says "please wait while we taxi to a complete stop" in three languages
-doesn't have about 45 people wearing yellow hats mindlessly following someone with a yellow flag
-has better alcohol

i would just hope if you've been here for like, idk, a long time, in a "real job" to take magna's words, you'd be flying better than air china or other crap local airlines. like chinese airlines are really bad. but to each his own

What are my words about whatever "Real jobs" are and it correlating to what airlines you should take? I don't remember saying anything other than "Air China is not bad, but TGA has said they are bad a bunch of times recently so he'll probably say I'm wrong and they're bad"

I'm not saying Air China is super awesome but if I had to choose between them and Delta I'd choose them every time. If Air Nippon or Korea flew direct without like 3 transfers between seoul/tokyo and then somewhere in the US I'd take a look (the only time I went to Korea it was on a boat from Qingdao but that is a horror story for another time), but I generally choose the shortest flight I can.

For some reason Cathay always has these like 12-24 hour layovers in HK which mess everything up or I'd fly them more.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ceciltron posted:

To free up more time to play Overwatch.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i've flown a lot of east asian airlines and it doesn't matter which flight you take. it's like asking which kind of sandals you should wear when you're walking through poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Great Autismo! posted:

I've never experienced this one in any country or airline. Anyway Cathay Pacific is good and I live near Hong Kong

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think there might be something to not looking for the absolute cheapest flight. Perhaps paying even $50 more per seat would mean that you aren't neck deep in cheap bastards of every race. Having a row to yourself for an international flight is almost like flying business.

Personally I thought Cathay was basically equal to united as far as service.

Gonna stick to korean/japanese/singapore airlines.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Stringent posted:

It was there.

Warbird posted:

To free up more time to play Overwatch.

Wisdom.

Also yes please don't be a dumb person who endures like $1000 worth of misery in order to save $100 on a plane ticket. Also sometimes you wanna consider paying for an upgrade versus getting nickel and dimed. When I recently made a move where I knew I was gonna have a ton of baggage that was probably going to endure overweight luggage charges, I added up the costs of the extra bags plus the weight fees and the difference between an economy ticket plus that poo poo and a business class ticket was like $60. So I got legroom and complimentary alcohol and didn't have to worry about my bags.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Meh flying Tokyo > London, then Paris > Tokyo was only 500 USD so I'm not gonna complain much either way.

You will when you're dead.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Look at you guys, lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

You will when you're dead.

You say this as though death isn't the best possible outcome

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Look at you guys, lol

we are cool and good

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

why did you QUIT YOUR JOB bloodnose

how can i get my green card now

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Marry me

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I started contract negotiations and they are predictably Chinese

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have any of you jokers gone through the US Green Card via marriage route? We should be starting the process soon for Mrs. Warbird and I'm not expecting it to be pleasant/cheap/quick/easy.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Warbird posted:

Have any of you jokers gone through the US Green Card via marriage route? We should be starting the process soon for Mrs. Warbird and I'm not expecting it to be pleasant/cheap/quick/easy.

We did k1 for my wife as part of our grand exit from living in China. Not quite the same as getting married first and appplying for CR.

All told it was pretty easy and cheap because we had our poo poo so well documented. No option is quick though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah, we may be doing that at some point. CR-1s take about 3 months to process and her current visa is up at the end of the year.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Warbird posted:

I've been doing it for like three years (lol).

Everything was going fine and on track, she has had her initial green card that has to be renewed very often for years now, but she doesn't have her real permanent one that is good for like ten years or whatever.

When we first applied we had to go to an interview in person at USCIS to prove our marriage isn't fake. The guy basically took one look at us, skimmed the huge pile of documents we'd brought, and said, "Yeah I think your marriage is real, he's your green card."

Then two years later we got a letter that said something like "We need additional documentation proving your marriage is real."

We sent it all in by the deadline with a tracking number and saw it arrived where we were supposed to send it on a Saturday. We held onto the tracking number for a while but lost it after a few moths.

Several months later we get another letter saying that since we failed to submit documentation, we now need to report to USICS in person. We go all the way up to the other city that USCIS is in and the guy is like "Oh yeah hm, I guess we lost it, so you'll need to mail them everything again and explain what happened." We no longer had the tracking number so we resubmitted everything like six months ago.

Still haven't heard anything back.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Warbird posted:

Yah we did (a good while ago) because her application through work had been stuck in queue (and apparently going backwards) for something like eight years.

I don't remember it being easy or simple or cheap. I did it myself because I figured if people who don't speak English well can handle it, I should be able to. I think pretty much everyone hires a lawyer though. Huge stack of paper. I had to make an appointment with the local immigration office to go ask them questions on how to fill out several sections (which they were actually pretty cool about).

I remember the total cost ended up being about 1k. Apparently it was like 150 before "homeland security", but now you are subsidizing the fight against terrorism/joblessness. I dunno how much a lawyer charges to handle it all, but you might want to get a quote. It might be worth it, unless the amount of paperwork has gone down (hah). Maybe figure out the forms you need, print them all out, and see how deep it is.

The interview was the really easy part, although it's weird/intrusive answering questions about your relationship. We just got softball questions, maybe because we really don't fit the "green card for money and/or sex" profile. Your experience may differ.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Are any of the documents levon wei tweets?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
My wife's been living in the US for almost two years now, we had been married for more than 2 years in China which meant that we could apply directly for the permanent resident status when she came. It's really not that hard, the documents are not particularly difficult, the worst part was just the waiting for her to get her visa approved, it took a ridiculously long time (6 months or so when we'd been counting on 2 or 3 months as they reported the time to be when we began the process)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Fall Sick and Die posted:

It's really not that hard, the documents are not particularly difficult

I guess peoples tolerances for arbitrary government paperwork chock full of ambiguity vary wildly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Are any of the documents levon wei tweets?

if you have free time, you wanna do something fun. because it's the holidays, so we can do something fun. getting the green card is the fun activity, so if you are getting the green card, you are having fun. on the festivals, i have a fun time and goes green card

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

I've been doing it for like three years (lol).

Everything was going fine and on track, she has had her initial green card that has to be renewed very often for years now, but she doesn't have her real permanent one that is good for like ten years or whatever.

When we first applied we had to go to an interview in person at USCIS to prove our marriage isn't fake. The guy basically took one look at us, skimmed the huge pile of documents we'd brought, and said, "Yeah I think your marriage is real, he's your green card."

Then two years later we got a letter that said something like "We need additional documentation proving your marriage is real."

We sent it all in by the deadline with a tracking number and saw it arrived where we were supposed to send it on a Saturday. We held onto the tracking number for a while but lost it after a few moths.

Several months later we get another letter saying that since we failed to submit documentation, we now need to report to USICS in person. We go all the way up to the other city that USCIS is in and the guy is like "Oh yeah hm, I guess we lost it, so you'll need to mail them everything again and explain what happened." We no longer had the tracking number so we resubmitted everything like six months ago.

Still haven't heard anything back.

First page of submission should be US GOVERNMENT LOST OUR PAPERS HERE'S ANOTHER APPLICATION

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

caberham posted:

First page of submission should be US GOVERNMENT LOST OUR PAPERS HERE'S ANOTHER APPLICATION

Yeah it was basically but phrased politely

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

My wife's been living in the US for almost two years now, we had been married for more than 2 years in China which meant that we could apply directly for the permanent resident status when she came.

How does that work? The lawyer I spoke with said that getting married overseas did dick all for stuff in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Jeoh posted:

if you have free time, you wanna do something fun. because it's the holidays, so we can do something fun. getting the green card is the fun activity, so if you are getting the green card, you are having fun. on the festivals, i have a fun time and goes green card

Jeah we're having a serious chat here, don't dick around