Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Middle East Thread of Despair : What's Aleppo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WaterIsPoison posted:

What's a Paladin?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

WaterIsPoison posted:

literally just came to post that

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Sinteres posted:

The New York Times and at least one other reporter correcting Johnson by saying Aleppo is the capital of the Islamic State is really funny in a sad way.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/773885134500139008

New York Times posted:

Correction: September 8, 2016
An earlier version of this article misidentified the de facto capital of the Islamic State. It is Raqqa, in northern Syria, not Aleppo.

Correction: September 8, 2016
An earlier version of the above correction misidentified the Syrian capital as Aleppo. It is Damascus.

hahaha holy poo poo

It's got to be more embarrassing than the original gaffe to not even get it right in three tries, when you could literally look it up on Wikipedia.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So Jill Stein's running mate thinks that Assad is a stand-up guy who's battling the Western imperialists and Gary Johnson doesn't know what Aleppo is?

Wow, what great third party candidates we have.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Elyv posted:

So Jill Stein's running mate thinks that Assad is a stand-up guy who's battling the Western imperialists and Gary Johnson doesn't know what Aleppo is?

Wow, what great third party candidates we have.

Still better than Trump or Hillary :downsgun:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Redmark posted:

hahaha holy poo poo

It's got to be more embarrassing than the original gaffe to not even get it right in three tries, when you could literally look it up on Wikipedia.

Yeah, they're supposed to be the paper of record too. There's been a pretty massive decline on display from the New York Times in recent months, which is really a shame since nobody has sufficient authority to replace them.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I was under the impression that the New York Times was a really good, prestigious newspaper. Guess I was wrong.

I'm really concerned if this is the average amount of knowledge the average westerner has about the conflict.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Laurenz posted:

I'm really concerned if this is the average amount of knowledge the average westerner has about the conflict.

Be concerned, then, because, and I'll say only what I know first hand, but many Americans would probably have the same response. "What's Aleppo?"

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Redmark posted:

hahaha holy poo poo

That cracked me up - twice correcting an article trying to point out the ignorance of another person not knowing where a place is and showing that you don't know, either.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Wait isn't Aleppo that one guy who is like being mean to Syrians? Bashar al aleppo or something?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Wait isn't Aleppo that one guy who is like being mean to Syrians? Bashar al aleppo or something?

Yes, Bashar Al Eppo.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Laurenz posted:

I was under the impression that the New York Times was a really good, prestigious newspaper. Guess I was wrong.

It still is, prestigious is a relative term. Journalism is dead, nobody wants to pay money and instead read everything online for free or with ad block - shockingly this results in poorly researched articles and click bait who would have thought.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

More weapons to the front.

https://twitter.com/mutludc/status/773862262742417408

Time will tell which front.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

No, most people don't know what Aleppo is, and I can hardly blame them. Most have no idea whats going on except Syria = war and ISIS = terrorism. Maybe something about Russia thrown in.

Typical geography knowledge is atrocious. And there is little need for your average person to know this- Aleppo is but part of the larger Syrian war. It was a bit of a strange question that was asked to Johnson in the first place; its not like the US has a policy on Aleppo, it has a policy (well, maybe) on Syria. You can't "solve" Aleppo without solving the larger war.

Anyone campaigning to be president should be pretty knowledgeable about current war zones the US is involved with. I feel like the question might have been a soft trap for Johnson.

I'd love though if more questions were asked of political leaders that included basic geography. I remember W Bush bombing on stuff like this to a hilarious degree.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Part of it has to do with US schools in my opinion; no not a rant against the us school system as some kind of failure, more that focus on world affairs except in specialized classes is abysmal. Looking back it's terrifying to me now that a lot of my world geography knowledge and general wonder about culture and history came from Creative Assembly and Paradox games, not the school room.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

WaterIsPoison posted:

also this

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Count Roland posted:

I'd love though if more questions were asked of political leaders that included basic geography. I remember W Bush bombing on stuff like this to a hilarious degree.

Got any links to Bush screwing up like this? It's really entertaining (and worrying).

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Part of it has to do with US schools in my opinion; no not a rant against the us school system as some kind of failure, more that focus on world affairs except in specialized classes is abysmal. Looking back it's terrifying to me now that a lot of my world geography knowledge and general wonder about culture and history came from Creative Assembly and Paradox games, not the school room.

Schools teach all of this, it's just that you immediately forget because it's completely irrelevant to the average person's life.

You remember it from video games because you were constantly using it and knowledge of the topic was relevant to the game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Count Roland posted:

No, most people don't know what Aleppo is, and I can hardly blame them.

Before the civil war in Syria, pretty much all I knew about Aleppo was that it was famous for its soap.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_soap

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Laurenz posted:

Got any links to Bush screwing up like this? It's really entertaining (and worrying).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/19991104/aponline181051_000.htm

This was before the election.

This is after his his term was over:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26890910

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

It was a bit of a strange question that was asked to Johnson in the first place; its not like the US has a policy on Aleppo, it has a policy (well, maybe) on Syria. You can't "solve" Aleppo without solving the larger war.

Anyone campaigning to be president should be pretty knowledgeable about current war zones the US is involved with. I feel like the question might have been a soft trap for Johnson.

I agree. It was worded in a way that was meant to be deliberately confusing. "What's your stance on Aleppo" is a really poor way to transition the interview towards Syria, and you can tell by the tone of the interviewer that he was trying to throw Johnson under the bus. I wouldn't have held it against him if Johnson just didn't understand what the interviewer was trying to get across. I could see someone not recognizing the word Aleppo when it's brought up with 0 context, and Syria isn't on their mind. After the clarification, he could've easily followed up with a detailed analysis that would've made clear that he was well educated on the subject, and people still would've ripped into him for "What is Aleppo." I would've cut him some slack. But he didn't do that. Instead he was like "well as far as Syria," then recited whatever he memorized from his Syria flash card, and that was the dead giveaway that he's got about an articles worth of knowledge on the subject. But tbh, other than Rubio and Clinton, I've gotten that vibe from every candidate on both sides, so he's far from alone in that regard. He's just the one who gave up the memorable soundbite. Sucks to suck I guess.

quote:

miss u Herman Cain.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Laurenz posted:

My most favorite Bush moment .

Czer
Apr 21, 2005

by Pragmatica
Turkey's Erdogan Announces 'Largest Operation in History' Against Kurds, as 11,000 Teachers Suspended

http://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/turkey/1.741033

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Laurenz posted:

During his election campaign, a satirist got him. Poutine is a greasy food, not the name of the Canadian prime minister.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwEDgpSWxo

Bush to the president of Brazil:
Do you have blacks there, too?
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/bushs-allgemeinbildung-gibt-es-schwarze-in-brasilien-a-196865.html

haha, oh god, here's a list:

quote:

"The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany." (5th May 2006)

"Wow! Brazil is big." (6th Nov 2005)

"When a drug comes in from Canada, I wanna make sure it cures ya, not kill ya... I've got an obligation to make sure our government does everything we can to protect you. And one -- my worry is that it looks like it's from Canada, and it might be from a third world." (8th Oct 2004)

"I don't know why you're talking about Sweden. They're the neutral one. They don't have an army."

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

"My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific." (18th Feb 2002)

"Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better." (24 Sep 2001)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/DailySabah/status/773946463827165184

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/M_Alneser/status/773981548970401793

https://twitter.com/faysalitani/status/773986884276088832

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/773983014137262080

:cripes:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hell, I'm glad the Al Qaeda terrorists are dead.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Hell, I'm glad the Al Qaeda terrorists are dead.

Yeah. Hell yeah. Soon Aleppo will be "pacified" just like Fallujah was. Smooth sailing from here. Mission accomplished. :woop:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think killing a few Al Qaeda guys is going to magically fix Syria or anything, but on the plus side a few Al Qaeda guys are dead now. Sorry for your loss though.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Barely a day goes by without Turkey suspending teachers, doctors, lawyers, soldiers, police, civil servants, etc. from work with a portion of those suspended being taken into custody and interrogated. Businessmen are being charged with "attempting to abolish the constitutional order by force" and ''being a member of an armed terrorist organization". Gulenist assets are being seized, media outlets shut down, Amnesty's reporting the arrested "coup plotters" are being tortured and raped.

15,846 detained (10,012 soldiers, 1,481 judiciary members)
8,133 of the detained had been arrested

Shut down
15 universities
1,043 private schools
1,229 charities and foundations
19 trade unions
35 medical institutions
16 television channels
23 radio stations
45 daily newspapers
15 magazines
29 publishing houses

I know this is probably not news to anyone in this thread but I needed to get a summary together for my own benefit. I feel like I've read dozens of articles on a hundred being imprisoned here, a thousand dismissed there, and having watched Erdogan for just a few years it is not shocking but seeing it all happen day by day it's hard to believe. Free speech has been under threat in Turkey at least since Gezi Park, right now it is hard to see it as anything other than dead.

My "favourite" part of this was probably the UN drafting some words about human rights but loving el-Sisi putting a stop to it. People like to joke "oh what are the UN going to do, write a strongly worded letter?" They can't even do that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

I don't think killing a few Al Qaeda guys is going to magically fix Syria or anything, but on the plus side a few Al Qaeda guys are dead now. Sorry for your loss though.

So sunni al qaeda is bad, shiite al qaeda is good?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mans posted:

So sunni al qaeda is bad, shiite al qaeda is good?

I'm not a fan of Hezbollah either, no. Actual Al Qaeda has been more dangerous than Hezbollah to countries that aren't Israel, Lebanon or Syria so far though. Maybe killing some terrorists is good even if it's not feasible to kill all terrorists.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Seems like an odd time to get pissed at Nusra.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Torpor posted:

Seems like an odd time to get pissed at Nusra.

Might be part of whatever deal was or wasn't made with Turkey, Russia and America to stop loving around and go blast Raqqa? Turkey's been shelling Kurds instead of fighting ISIS as usual so who knows? Course both could be true and it's just America kept their end of the bargain while goat-fucker extraordinaire Erdrogan didn't.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Sinteres posted:

I'm not a fan of Hezbollah either, no. Actual Al Qaeda has been more dangerous than Hezbollah to countries that aren't Israel, Lebanon or Syria so far though. Maybe killing some terrorists is good even if it's not feasible to kill all terrorists.

Who were they terrorizing from inside a besieged city?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chairface posted:

Might be part of whatever deal was or wasn't made with Turkey, Russia and America to stop loving around and go blast Raqqa? Turkey's been shelling Kurds instead of fighting ISIS as usual so who knows? Course both could be true and it's just America kept their end of the bargain while goat-fucker extraordinaire Erdrogan didn't.

More likely just an opportunistic strike. But if it's got a geopolitical angle, it's probably rooted in the Russian/US negotiations to coordinate and target JaN. Last I heard there was only one or two more hangups.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Cool beans can't wait until we can unload our ordinance against JaN and all the other groups in that alliance so that Aleppo falls and the brave Lion of Damascus, the most righteous Bashar Assad can cleanse the city of terrorist filth.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

al-Queda is a lot worse than Hezbollah for anyone outside the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sergg posted:

Who were they terrorizing from inside a besieged city?

We're still actually at war with Al Qaeda, and there's every reason to believe they'll carry out more attacks on the West if they survive in Syria. Removing them as essentially the top rebel faction is necessary for any sort of peace.

• Locked thread