Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

i know almost nothing about fpgas but i do know that all the fpga vendors have one guy whose job it is to come in every morning and think long and hard about everybody who keeps code for their products in any form of source control and how to loving ruin their day and then go out and do that

everybody who thinks this is a joke, it is not

when we asked xilinx if they could give us any guidance on which of the 27 billion files their lovely ide generates we needed to check in, we were basically told that it was silly to ask that and to go gently caress ourselves

we kind of trial-and-errored out a solution but it is extremely fragile

thank gently caress, im so happy i got out of fpga-land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

so it wasn't just me then, lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Arcsech posted:

everybody who thinks this is a joke, it is not

when we asked xilinx if they could give us any guidance on which of the 27 billion files their lovely ide generates we needed to check in, we were basically told that it was silly to ask that and to go gently caress ourselves

we kind of trial-and-errored out a solution but it is extremely fragile

thank gently caress, im so happy i got out of fpga-land

xilinx answered that way bc they have no clue themselves how to find out enough information to form a claim or back it up right

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

xilinx answered that way bc they have no clue themselves how to find out enough information to form a claim or back it up right

likely

vivado (the xilinx ide) is a horrendous piece of poo poo in just about every way. it is the definition of software written by hardware engineers, i wouldn't be surprised if nobody really knew how it worked

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

what's the problem with the gui? you want autogeneration of test benches? but the tcl prompt is right there, loving pleb, why haven't you used it? :smug:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
telling people that they shouldn't want to do the thing the want to do and that the problem they have is not actually a problem is key to the business success of silicon vendors. otherwise you gotta write mad checks.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arcsech posted:

likely

vivado (the xilinx ide) is a horrendous piece of poo poo in just about every way. it is the definition of software written by hardware engineers, i wouldn't be surprised if nobody really knew how it worked

I've met some of the authors and they are not hardware engineers and do not pretend to be. they seemed to be reasonably cool dudes fighting understaffing, a ridiculously giant software stack, and horrible legacy issues

vivado started out life as planahead, a third party tool for floor planning fpgas that was superior to xilinx's own. Xilinx bought the entire company with the idea of expanding planahead to a full suite replacement for ISE (the old ide) and several years later vivado was born. this wasn't just a gui overhaul, they also wrote entirely new synthesis and place&route tools

as bad as vivado is, as much as it shows the signs of being a not-a-full-ide stretched into being one, it's still a million times better than the dogshit it replaced. and that times a million more for the back end behind the gui.

also imo the worst stuff in vivado is the bad old poo poo they had to port over from ISE to keep legacy customers somewhat happy with an otherwise almost ground up toolchain rewrite. the entire "block design" infrastructure is one of those things and it's responsible for all the worst Xilinx-hates-version-control memes

oh god I'm defending Xilinx tools wtf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just use chisehahahahaha

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
hey, found myself with some more time to work on the synth design
the YMF-262 has a reset pin, but I'm not quite sure how it works.
http://map.grauw.nl/resources/sound/yamaha_ymf262.pdf on the datasheet, page 17 has the timing diagrams for writing to the various pins.
the diagram says to reset, set that pin to low for (for simplicity's sake) .5 of a second, right?
it's actually 400 divided by the frequency of the timing signal of 14.32MHz in a standard implementation, in seconds, which is a very very small period)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
generally there's only a mimumum period of time that you have to hold a reset pin low for, after that minimum time is up you can keep holding it low for as long as you want.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ok so its not just me struggling w/ blinking a loving LED in vivado. thanks red pitaya i got for free :mad:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eschaton posted:

someone please

~*~ DISRUPT ~*~

programmable logic

please christ i tried to learn it on altera AND xilinx and it's 100% dogshit all the way down

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Mr Dog posted:

generally there's only a mimumum period of time that you have to hold a reset pin low for, after that minimum time is up you can keep holding it low for as long as you want.

ah ok
given this is my first project, i didn't realise holding a reset pin low was, y'know, normal.
Yeah i'd just hold it for a second, it's easier and it's not likely to be used a great deal.
thanks mate!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hmm. Can you market programmable logic as a fashionable lifestyle product?

"GAL PALs to effortlessly complement your fast-paced millennial digital lifestyle"

could work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

huge problem with fpgas is how much of the important poo poo is vendor locked. like ya you can use chisel or something instead of verilog but its still gotta wind up going through their dogshit synthesis flow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well that's another thing

hdl synthesis isn't something that the whitest dunning-krugerest cs grad can throw together in a weekend hackfest, it's actually hard.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh boy theres nothing like trying to bring up undocumented asics with flaky as poo poo interfaces

POTENTIAL ERRATA: will draw arbitrarily large amounts of current on digital I/O if they come up with the supply; I/O have to be held low while supply comes up and cant be used for XX time after power on

aka if you try to bring them up with CS/nRST high lol @ u

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

at least i hope thats what the problem is. maybe theyre just hosed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

undocumented behavior best behavior

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

oh boy theres nothing like trying to bring up undocumented asics with flaky as poo poo interfaces

POTENTIAL ERRATA: will draw arbitrarily large amounts of current on digital I/O if they come up with the supply; I/O have to be held low while supply comes up and cant be used for XX time after power on

aka if you try to bring them up with CS/nRST high lol @ u

don't most large asics have power supply sequencing requirements that you have to follow in order to avoid latch-up? i know at least back in the day the TI OMAP had to have a second companion chip just to switch poo poo on in the right sequence with the right delays

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

professor is debating whether to have us design a 32-bit MIPS processor or an ARM one that's a 16/32-bit frankenstein monster for our semester project for the class

apparently we're using verilog for it

how boned am i?

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 8, 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
mips is better for that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

don't most large asics have power supply sequencing requirements that you have to follow in order to avoid latch-up? i know at least back in the day the TI OMAP had to have a second companion chip just to switch poo poo on in the right sequence with the right delays

a lot of people have managed to figure out how to simplify that but in this case it is a small in house single supply piece of garbage asic designed by idiots so who the hell knows

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

mips is better for that
yeah MIPS is definitely going to cause fewer headaches

i rather liked my "baby's first pipelined MIPS CPU" project in VHDL

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
can anybody here recommend a good cm in the united states because the one we're using now mounted a bunch of through-hole LEDs backwards on one prototype board and then dunked another prototype board with a PIR sensor on it in conformal coating

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

yeah MIPS is definitely going to cause fewer headaches

i rather liked my "baby's first pipelined MIPS CPU" project in VHDL

thirding this because i too enjoyed my "babby's first pipelined MIPS-ish cpu" project course back in school and "16/32 bit arm" sounds like maybe arm thumb and that's probably gonna introduce a lot of complications

apocadall tell your prof to have you guys use systemverilog, not plain verilog. sv is the future (*), plain v is old and busted

* where by "the future" i mean something more like "has essential quality-of-life features that should have been in verilog like 20 years ago but lol eda tools and languages are bad"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

can anybody here recommend a good cm in the united states because the one we're using now mounted a bunch of through-hole LEDs backwards on one prototype board and then dunked another prototype board with a PIR sensor on it in conformal coating
pcbshopper had PCBA quoting now, the places I know in the bay (e.g. ABX engineering) won't touch anything more than like 5k units

BobHoward posted:

thirding this because i too enjoyed my "babby's first pipelined MIPS-ish cpu" project course back in school and "16/32 bit arm" sounds like maybe arm thumb and that's probably gonna introduce a lot of complications
thumb's awesome, but pedagogically it's a stretch to get that in and idk if it really adds value

BobHoward posted:

apocadall tell your prof to have you guys use systemverilog, not plain verilog. sv is the future (*), plain v is old and busted

* where by "the future" i mean something more like "has essential quality-of-life features that should have been in verilog like 20 years ago but lol eda tools and languages are bad"
yeah, declaring every stupid port everywhere is obnoxious, generators are nifty, and if you get up into svtb/ovm stuff it's almost like a real language

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

yeah it's pretty common but it should be explicitly stated in the datasheet (where it should tell you the correct sequence and time delays)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Dog posted:

We use MVinix at work, they're in San Jose and have always been on the ball. I have no idea how much they cost though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

thumb's awesome, but pedagogically it's a stretch to get that in and idk if it really adds value

yeah. like if I was that prof I'd maybe look into risc-v if I wanted to teach with a more modern / relevant isa than 32b mips since its supposed to be "mips, but without the dumb 1980s mistakes". besides, arm thumb isn't new or very relevant since all the cool kids in the commercial world are doing 64b arm v8

also lol my phone keeps autocorrecting mips to nips

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DuckConference posted:

yeah it's pretty common but it should be explicitly stated in the datasheet (where it should tell you the correct sequence and time delays)

lol if your in-house poo poo has a datasheet or any documentation beyond a cryptic bond diagram

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gently caress verilog times a thousand but tbh sv isnt much better because tool support is dismal. langs that compile to verilog are interesting but also all broken in their own special ways - i spent all of today trying to get a chisel3 or clash or anything environment set up but with zero docs in myriad ways and/or broken ecosystem tools it has been literally impossible

dehumanize and face to vhdl i guess

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
risc-v is about as relevant as mips in 2016

i.e. not at all

so you may as well learn with risc-v because when they say risc-v they really mean mips version 5

it's basically just mips without branch delay slots or weird multiplication result registers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also dang all of a sudden i've decided that software defined radios are really goddamn cool and i want to learn more about them

by which i mean learning the magical sciencey bullshit about how radios work

(did i mention i write firmware for internet-of-toilets devices for a living? whatever, i fill a fifo and set a flag on one board, magic happens, i get an interrupt and drain a fifo on a different board)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*kramers thru door*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
funnily enough the reason i mentioned them was because some sick madness possessed me to start reading your posts

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

(did i mention i write firmware for internet-of-toilets devices for a living? whatever, i fill a fifo and set a flag on one board, magic happens, i get an interrupt and drain a fifo on a different board)
hire me

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
here's my linkedin spam from today

quote:

Experience in a wearable or small device product development environment
Knowledge of microcontroller-based firmware design and development
Excellent debugging and troubleshooting ability
Experience in writing firmware in a low level C environment
Experience in Low Power BLE
Experience in working with device driver and associated hardware such as timers, DMA, A/D converter, comparator, UART, I2C, SPI, or LCD
Solid background in CS and be knowledgeable about basic EE
A full time Sr. Firmware Engineer job in Burlingame, CA. is available courtesy of Adecco Engineering and Technology. For an exciting wearable technology company poised and connected for worldwide success you will refine firmware architecture into detailed firmware design and then implement it. You will also research and develop the firmware and electronics used in products throughout the portfolio. This position will be part of the Connected Devices engineering team working with the best minds in Silicon Valley in a fast-changing, challenging, and exciting environment making wearable technology products that will be distributed on a wide scale throughout the world.

Knowledge and Experience:

Ability to read circuit design/schematics
Ability to operate an oscilloscope
Enthusiasm for getting your hands dirty with hardware
Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering, advanced degree preferred
Experience in the following valued:
Signal processing programming with MATLAB
Knowledge of sensors
Knowledge of wireless communication, especially BlueTooth
Worked in R&D environment regulated by FDA, CE and FCC bodies and familiar with process and safety standards required for medical device development (ISO 13485, IEC 60601) or equivalent
there's a ton of low level systems/firmware work out there y'all

Jonny 290 posted:

*kramers thru door*
what band are ship radios? friend of mine had a setup that would show other boats, their #'s, last port visited and any destination

big navy boat had "DESTINATION: SEA"

is there a SDR setup I could use to monitor those?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JawnV6 posted:

what band are ship radios? friend of mine had a setup that would show other boats, their #'s, last port visited and any destination

big navy boat had "DESTINATION: SEA"

is there a SDR setup I could use to monitor those?

That's probably AIS, but my experience is limited to watching videos from an SDR king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU13FuV7IGI

Edit: more obnoxious but informative video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZznkOfVivo

Now I want to set up a raspberry pi and SDR to monitor ships from my house all day.

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-cheap-ais-ship-tracking/

Looks like it's doable with a $20 RTL-SDR and a good antenna.

• Locked thread