Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The only time Sting was really over was when he didn't wrestle or speak or do anything and Jeff Jarrett or Brakkus could have done the same job

They could, but it wouldn't have got over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The guy keeping Sting out is Zane Bresloff from beyond the grave.

Dave doesn't say much on MLW but there's an amazing story from Sullivan near the end of the episode about how Strangler Lewis was screwed out of the Championship.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

remusclaw posted:

They could, but it wouldn't have got over.

Jeff Jarrett brooding in the rafters and rapelling down to smash fools in the head with a guitar would have gotten over. especially when he spent the year build of the angle getting fat, fat Double J would make it even better

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

When it comes to the Observer HOF how much more important is drawing power over the actual quality of a wrestler. Not that this matters for Sting, he didn't draw for poo poo and his matches were mediocre.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

NienNunb posted:

When it comes to the Observer HOF how much more important is drawing power over the actual quality of a wrestler. Not that this matters for Sting, he didn't draw for poo poo and his matches were mediocre.

it's supposed to be equal parts work, drawing power and (positive) influence but in practice drawing power plays much more of a role than the other two i think. i don't really have a problem with that since work especially is so subjective.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always figured that if you're going to get in entirely based on drawing power, or work, or historical importance, you had better be really, really good in that area, which Sting really isn't.

Sting's case is based on him being perceived as a "star" which is different from actually drawing money.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spermgod posted:

it's supposed to be equal parts work, drawing power and (positive) influence but in practice drawing power plays much more of a role than the other two i think. i don't really have a problem with that since work especially is so subjective.

Take Místico for example - he was Observer Wrestler of the Year in 2006, Observer Best Box Office Draw in 2006, and now 10 years later he's the botchy guy that pulled a gun on Alberto Del Rio.

That's not a positive influence

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Super No Vacancy posted:

being there is a great movie

Hey yo if anybody hasn't seen this film they need to rectify that immediately because it's amazing. I love watching that film. You could say.... I like to watch.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Sting's case is based on him being perceived as a "star" which is different from actually drawing money.
And longevity despite the ballot specifically saying longevity without anything else is not valuable.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
CIMA/DG is arguably the biggest influence on the modern indie/jr/nxt style. Let me put it this way: Out of 6 people in that PWG 6-Man 5-star match, four of them spent significant time being trained by Dragon Gate, 2 were considered CIMA's gaijin sons, and Ospreay mentioned that Dragon Gate is one of his greatest influences.

People discount social dance wrestling/the fact that DG won't ever draw AJPW/NOAH numbers but if you want to talk about someone who has influenced people, CIMA is near the top of the list.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

the fact that DG won't ever draw AJPW/NOAH numbers

This is no longer even true but I'm unsure how much of that is credit to DG

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GenericMartini posted:

I'm honestly surprised Akiyama hasn't gotten in yet. Considering how highly dave talks about him.

No one of his generation (Akiyama, Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata, and slightly later of KENTA and Marufuji) are going to get in. They are seen in Japan as the people who let their companies down and couldn't carry it after the previous generation broke down.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

No one of his generation (Akiyama, Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata, and slightly later of KENTA and Marufuji) are going to get in. They are seen in Japan as the people who let their companies down and couldn't carry it after the previous generation broke down.

This is especially unfair to Marafuji and Kenta, whom NOAH basically ignored as potential top guys for years, despite fan clamor, because they weren't heavyweight sized. They only ever gave them the ball after things had gone completely to poo poo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

CIMA/DG is arguably the biggest influence on the modern indie/jr/nxt style. Let me put it this way: Out of 6 people in that PWG 6-Man 5-star match, four of them spent significant time being trained by Dragon Gate, 2 were considered CIMA's gaijin sons, and Ospreay mentioned that Dragon Gate is one of his greatest influences.

People discount social dance wrestling/the fact that DG won't ever draw AJPW/NOAH numbers but if you want to talk about someone who has influenced people, CIMA is near the top of the list.

Per iheartdg, the lowest-attended Summer Adventure Tag League card DG held all last month had an attendance of 600 (they actually had a couple nights where this was the case, but still 600 was their lowest)

That same month, NOAH had a card with a world title match that couldn't even draw 490

NOAH has fallen pretty hard the last few years

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Chris James 2 posted:

Per iheartdg, the lowest-attended Summer Adventure Tag League card DG held all last month had an attendance of 600 (they actually had a couple nights where this was the case, but still 600 was their lowest)

That same month, NOAH had a card with a world title match that couldn't even draw 490

NOAH has fallen pretty hard the last few years

oh yeah i know, i was more referring to ajpw/noah at their height. was rushed typing in the middle of class.

also jae gets his numbers from dg...and they boost them. Hakata can't fit the numbers they claim. The Korauken numbers are mostly legit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

okay what is social dance wrestling

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Basic Chunnel posted:

okay what is social dance wrestling

When SUWA left Dragon Gate, he was sick of how goofy things got and how there were a bunch of guys who danced in their entrance. So he went on a rant and called Dragon Gate social dance wrestling and that was a phrase that was used a lot to dismiss Dragon Gate style.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Michinoku Pro is credited with starting the spotty multiman matches

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

EugeneJ posted:

I thought Michinoku Pro is credited with starting the spotty multiman matches

They did, but if you watch the These Days 10-man vs a 2004 DG multiman (when SUWA left DG) vs modern dg multiman you'd see a really clear evolution.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

They did, but if you watch the These Days 10-man vs a 2004 DG multiman (when SUWA left DG) vs modern dg multiman you'd see a really clear evolution.

I actually just started Googling the history of M-Pro and it's interesting. Gran Hamada was undersized as a Japanese wrestler, so he was sent to Mexico for excursion where he got over big in the 80s. Years later Hamada brought the lucha style to Japan from Mexico with his Universal Lucha Libre promotion. Ultimo Dragon wrestled for Universal Lucha Libre and M-Pro, and later in the 90s started his own Toryumon wrestling school/promotion - he would leave, but his students would continue it as Dragon Gate.

I just looked it up and these are recommended Hamada matches from Mexico:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=910&page=10

quote:

07.06.1990 El Signo, El Texano & Negro Navarro vs. Gran Hamada, Kendo & Perro Aguayo ****
04.06.1990 El Signo, El Texano & Negro Navarro vs. Gran Hamada, Kato Kung Lee & Perro Aguayo ***1/2

I can't find video of those matches, but here's vintage footage of Los Misioneros de la Muerte (Signo/Texano/Navarro) facing Alfonso Dantes, Tony Salazar and Lizmark in 1986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcWRP6-cBkk

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=149895;p=0

quote:

For those reading who are not familiar with Los Misioneros de la Muerte. This was the team that popularized trios matches in Mexico. While six man matches took place, they were one of the first and most famous actual three man team. And to this date they are probably the biggest box office trios in wrestling history.

A comparison I would make would be they are Mexico's Fabulous Freebirds, but they were probably even more successful in terms of box office attractions.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2016

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
If there's one guy that deserves to be in the WON HOF but probably never will, it's Brad Armstrong.

It's a drat shame how much WCW squandered him.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Looks Like Some Sort Of Sidewalk Slam Episode 12 went up, covering Battleground and the subsequent shows.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

When SUWA left Dragon Gate, he was sick of how goofy things got and how there were a bunch of guys who danced in their entrance. So he went on a rant and called Dragon Gate social dance wrestling and that was a phrase that was used a lot to dismiss Dragon Gate style.

tbh I'd rather watch SUWA than drat near everyone in DG

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AMReese posted:

If there's one guy that deserves to be in the WON HOF but probably never will, it's Brad Armstrong.

It's a drat shame how much WCW squandered him.

One of the few feelgood stories in WCW's later days for me is that when whoever was monitoring the No Limit Soldiers angle decided they needed another guy who was a decent worker other than Rey, supposedly several people went to bat for Armstrong, to ensure he got the position.

Mark my words, if Brad had his Dad's ability to talk, he could have been a big star like Bullet was. He definitely had the goods in the ring, a lot of the matches I enjoyed the most on WCW Saturday night were Brad Armstrong matches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan and Filthy Tom's Delete or Decay commentary is now up on Wrestling Observer

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He definitely had the goods in the ring, a lot of the matches I enjoyed the most on WCW Saturday night were Brad Armstrong matches.
He also had a kickass theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ3KG4rmgNo

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan and Filthy Tom's Delete or Decay commentary is now up on Wrestling Observer

I started listening to it but then I realized they have a significantly longer version than what's on the internet. How long till we get one with synched commentary/video?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EugeneJ posted:

I'm looking up guys who were in Observer Matches of the Year but are not in the Observer Hall of Fame

-Ken Patera (1980)
-Sgt. Slaughter (1981)
-Kevin Von Erich (1984)
-Kerry Von Erich (1984)
-Mike Von Erich (1984)
-Kuniaki Kobayashi (1985)
-Barry Windham (1986)
-Sting (1988)
-Naoki Sano (1990)
-Rick Steiner (1991)
-Scott Steiner (1991)
-Tsuyoshi Kikuchi (1992)
-Doug Furnas (1992)
-Dan Kroffat (1992)
-Toshiyo Yamada (1993)
-Dynamite Kansai (1993)
-Mayumi Ozaki (1993)
-Scott Hall (1994)
-Kyoko Inoue (1995)
-Jun Akiyama (1996, 2004)
-Johnny Ace (1996)
-Villano III (2000)
-Edge (2002)
-Samoa Joe (2005)
-Dragon Kid (2006)
-Ryo Saito (2006)
-Genki Horiguchi (2006)
-Cima (2006)
-Masato Yoshino (2006)
-Naruki Doi (2006)
-Takeshi Morishima (2007)
-Bryan Danielson (2007)
-CM Punk (2011)
-Minoru Suzuki (2012, 2014)
-Kazuchika Okada (2013)
-AJ Styles (2014)
-Kota Ibushi (2015)

Who deserves to be in from this list?

I am loving how Akira "14 5 star matches" Taue isn't in this list.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LordPants posted:

I am loving how Akira "14 5 star matches" Taue isn't in this list.

Deserved or not, he unfortunately gets similar stigma as Johnny Ace does, all the credit for the matches being so good given to the other participants in them.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
"You can't own that many apes!" is my favorite Bryan Alvarez quote of this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AlmightyPants posted:

I started listening to it but then I realized they have a significantly longer version than what's on the internet. How long till we get one with synched commentary/video?

I actually just asked about that in the TNA thread because I assumed the version I saw had been edited, but it sounds like that is what actually aired on TNA? Why would they cut a boxing kangaroo shooting on Jeff Hardy?

Edit: Owens on Jericho's podcast is so great, he tells a great story about a conversation he had with Vince McMahon about the night he first confronted John Cena.

Vince: Okay, don't tell anybody what you're doing tonight, but make sure you bring your gear.
Owens: Okay.... but if I'm wearing my gear the wrestlers are going to know something is up, what should I tell them if they ask?
Vince: Tell them to go gently caress themselves!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 9, 2016

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Fauxhawk Express posted:

tbh I'd rather watch SUWA than drat near everyone in DG

yeah

remusclaw posted:

Deserved or not, he unfortunately gets similar stigma as Johnny Ace does, all the credit for the matches being so good given to the other participants in them.

i'd say Ace deserves that stigma while it's absolute bullshit for Taue

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Granny's wrestling report this week.

I'm dying

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Filthy Tom's delivery on these impact reviews are hilarious... THEY WERE GAY with excitement

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Reading back issues of the observer, perfect timing given the recent twitter battle

Big Dave in October, 1998

quote:

If you ask today's fans in 20 years about the decade of the 90s in wrestling, a lot of people will mention names like Sting, Luger and Ultimate Warrior right behind Hogan, but none would even be considered for a Hall of Fame inductee.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
#LugerForHOF

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Spermgod posted:

i'd say Ace deserves that stigma while it's absolute bullshit for Taue

This is almost certainly true, unfortunately Big man wrestlers seem to be somewhat stigmatized when it comes to match ratings. Vader has no 5* and even Stan Hansen only has them in tag matches against the Funks and Tenryu/Kawada or in singles against Kenta Kobashi. Undertaker only has the Shawn match in the first Hell in a Cell.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I actually just asked about that in the TNA thread because I assumed the version I saw had been edited, but it sounds like that is what actually aired on TNA? Why would they cut a boxing kangaroo shooting on Jeff Hardy?

They didn't. The match aired, the segments aired, on TV they weren't all one package back to back but that's going to be the complete version like the full cut of Deletion was when TNA officially uploaded it, and press got to see that full package day-of

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

why do so many people who submit entries to the granny contests think More Words = Funnier

the best one was A Short Story which bryan instantly vetoed

edit: eh actually the winner was pretty good

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm a bit shocked Vader never had a 5* in Japan.

• Locked thread