Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

That's what stood out to me about that trailer too, since I don't think there was a single second of slow-mo in either of MoS or BvS.

Man of Steel had none, but there were a handful in BVS's batmobile chase scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most notably, Batman's "Oh fuuuuuuuck" look when he sees Superman.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope is just one of the villains. Deathstroke is not really a high profile villain outside of Teen Titans.

Eh, Deadpool was pretty niche before the movie too.

Ironically, the parody might have paved the way for its subject on that front.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Seriously; it's a no-brainer.

The thing is that fans (like yourself) aren't actually 'teaching a lesson' with their inarticulate responses, so any effort to please you will never succeed. I'd say BVS made a mere billion dollars because it lacked Ellen Page, Superman's ice-breath attack, and cameos from the Air Bud pups.

Do you think "removing Snyder's controversial flourishes" and having Batman not kill anymore were the correct lessons to learn from BvS?

There were big problems with BvS, but those weren't even in the top 10.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do you think "removing Snyder's controversial flourishes" and having Batman not kill anymore were the correct lessons to learn from BvS?

There were big problems with BvS, but those weren't even in the top 10.

Yeah like your #4: "make the writing more good".

Or #1: "make the editing more good".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Yeah like your #4: "make the writing more good".

Or #1: "make the editing more good".

So, if someone says, "There were some problems with BvS."

In your mind, the response, "I know. Batman doesn't kill anymore and Snyder will shoot more traditional and restrained scenes." is the appropriate response?

You don't think there were editing weaknesses, especially in the theatrical version, that are far more important to a competent film than whether Batman kills a guy on purpose or not?

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I genuinely enjoyed how jarring and forceful the editing was in the theatrical cut.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BvS already addresses Batman killing people, Justice League will just further continue his character development.

If anything, Johns seems to say that the only thing they are actually changing based on feedback is the lack of anything outright weird like that dream sequence. Slow motion stuff is still in the Justice League trailer.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Like constantly waking up from a nightmare.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Comic book fans not being able to handle dream sequences makes me mad.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Man of Steel had none, but there were a handful in BVS's batmobile chase scene.

I feel betrayed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine if they made that Sandman film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Imagine if they made that Sandman film.

We'll see how Dr. Strange does.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

We'll see how Dr. Strange does.

[some shots of tesselating and rotating patterns, much akin to a Windows 98 screen saver]

This is... this is what hard drugs are like

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

[some shots of tesselating and rotating patterns, much akin to a Windows 98 screen saver]

Cameo by the "you are like a little baby" meme.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Honestly the criticisms of plot realism get really tiresome. Like it's a loving visual medium, for gods sake take in more than a plot synopsis from the movie, you'll enjoy it more.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jenny Angel posted:

Wait, if I'm directing Dr. Strange why did I pick Cumberbatch insead of Cage

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

Honestly the criticisms of plot realism get really tiresome. Like it's a loving visual medium, for gods sake take in more than a plot synopsis from the movie, you'll enjoy it more.

What's the name of that one internet movie critic where all he does is give an extended plot synopsis in an annoyed voice and occasionally have reaction shots where he looks baffled and irate about what's just occurred

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

What's the name of that one internet movie critic where all he does is give an extended plot synopsis in an annoyed voice and occasionally have reaction shots where he looks baffled and irate about what's just occurred

It would be quicker to name the one that does not do this.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jenny Angel posted:

Is it safe to emptyquote?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It would be quicker to name the one that does not do this.

You just hosed up this bit I was gonna do where someone was gonna suggest a name and I'd quote it and say "no, the other one" and then repeat that for maybe 6-8 posts. Go to hell, my man

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

You just hosed up this bit I was gonna do where someone was gonna suggest a name and I'd quote it and say "no, the other one" and then repeat that for maybe 6-8 posts. Go to hell, my man

You don't get it...you're trapped in here with me...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sure am looking forward to the dimension tripping movie written by the guy who got angry at Inception's ending because Christopher Nolan didn't show us whether the top fell over or not.

And directed by the guy who might have the single blandest filmography in genre filmmaking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Sure am looking forward to the dimension tripping movie written by the guy who got angry at Inception's ending because Christopher Nolan didn't show us whether the top fell over or not.

And directed by the guy who might have the single blandest filmography in genre filmmaking.

Holy poo poo, there are no paragraph breaks in that article.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone compared what happens in BvS to the dolorous stroke from Arthurian legend?

There are not so subtle references to Arthurian legends in the film. Lile.the Lady in the Lake being Lois Lane etc...

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 9, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The Cameo posted:

Don't forget the safe as gently caress lead actor. Chiwetel Ejiofor would have been a much more interesting Strange.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, if someone says, "There were some problems with BvS."

In your mind, the response, "I know. Batman doesn't kill anymore and Snyder will shoot more traditional and restrained scenes." is the appropriate response?

You don't think there were editing weaknesses, especially in the theatrical version, that are far more important to a competent film than whether Batman kills a guy on purpose or not?

I mean in all seriousness did you expect a spokesperson from WB to say "the problem with BvS is that we wrote it bad and so in the next movie we will not do that"?

Like maybe someone who isn't a writer might make comments about the editing or "impactful action scenes" but the dude is a writer so he is talking about story elements. Beyond "yeah whoops my pals wrote it bad" obviously.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Same here. There are some great audio cues to indicate that Bruce is having a nightmare.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Equeen posted:

Don't forget the safe as gently caress lead actor. Chiwetel Ejiofor would have been a much more interesting Strange.

Literally every supporting cast member in Dr Strange would have been a more interesting choice for the lead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Well it's to be expected. Comic book fans don't actually like comic books. The fantasy, whenever there's a new film, is that the process of adaptation will clear away all the troublesome artistry and instead directly immerse people into the universe. The fear is always that something will 'stick out' and disturb your immersion. Like Christian Bale's voice.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
List of great Geoff Johns comics that I have personally read, purely off the top of my head:

Batman - Bruce Wayne: Fugitive
Green Lantern Rebirth
Flash Rebirth
JSA: Lost
JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice

It wasn't a dream sequence. To me it was blatantly obvious that he was having a vision of the future. That's why he sees imagery that he could not have possibly known about ahead of time, like the parademons and the bigass Omega on the ground. It's also no coincidence that he's 'awoken' by someone currently in the process of traveling through time, who tells him about something that happened in his 'dream' (its Lois, etc), lending more credibility to the vision of future.

Well it's to be expected. Comic book fans don't actually like comic books. The fantasy, whenever there's a new film, is that the process of adaptation will clear away all the troublesome artistry and instead directly immerse people into the universe. The fear is always that something will 'stick out' and disturb your immersion. Like Christian Bale's voice.

My personal fantasy is that, whenever there's a new film, it at least approaches the quality of the comics and stories I have previously read. Largely, they do not even come close. Hell, the Justice League cartoon has better pacing, plot and dialogue than any of the recent films.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 9, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What is a 'vision' other than a dream?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

What is a 'vision' other than a dream?

One of them is seeing the future, the other is random rear end poo poo in your brain. Are you being serious with this?

illuminated manuscripts

So why would you say this of a comic book cartoon, and not of any other cartoon?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 9, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Part of why people are always just saying "just do it like the animated films", which are all not adaptations so much as illuminated manuscripts, like those awful motion comics that skip the reading part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

One of them is seeing the future, the other is random rear end poo poo in your brain. Are you being serious with this?

Are you? Is your argument that Batman has oracular foreknowledge, like how he is the fifth best martial artist in the world? Totally absurd.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Are you? Is your argument that Batman has oracular foreknowledge, like how he is the fifth best martial artist in the world? Totally absurd.

I think that Flash traveling through time is what gave him the vision.

edit: what a terrible nerd I am, discussing topics in a thread dedicated to that topic

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 9, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So why would you say this of a comic book cartoon, and not of any other cartoon?

you should really take up a hobby. or masturbation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The TAS stuff is quite good but the straight adaptations of comics stories is corny Classics Illustrated stuff they never should have bothered with.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dreams being visions of the future is not a new thing in fiction, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My personal fantasy is that, whenever there's a new film, it at least approaches the quality of the comics and stories I have previously read. Largely, they do not even come close. Hell, the Justice League cartoon has better pacing, plot and dialogue than any of the recent films.

Yeah, BvS couldn't stand up to

quote:

Luthor decides to fake his own death by piloting a prototype jet on a proposed trip around the world and crashing it in the Andes; this is merely a cover for the removal of his brain from his cancer-ridden body and the growth of a cloned body around it, whereupon he passes himself off as his hitherto unknown, illegitimate 21-year-old son and heir, Lex Luthor II. His deception is benefited by a vibrant new body with a beard and full head of red hair, as well as assuming an Australian accent as part of his fake backstory.[44]

• Locked thread