Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would definitely argue that SW 2015's good to bad ratio was higher than 1:1. Outside of Ultimate End I genuinely cannot think of a single mini that is commonly considered "bad". Like, I hated E is for Extinction and thought it was pointless and dumb with bad art but when I voiced that opinion numerous people considered it very good.

Unless you're talking about the Last Days Of tie-ins, which pretty much were either "Superhero attempts to make sense of the impending incursion by coming to some deep realization on what's truly important in their life" or "A normal issue that ties up whatever the hell they were doing pre-SW 2015 that had a SHOCKING FINAL PAGE OF OPPOSITE EARTH ABOUT TO COLLIDE OH poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The X-Men Fear Itself tie-ins were great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I liked WWH as an event, because you need a reminder occasionally between Bruce Banner's angsting and the Hulk being basically a good guy that the Hulk loving sucks and is a terror and ruins poo poo forever and cannot be loving stopped. So an event, written by Greg Pak and drawn by JRJR (the perfect artist for this event) that consists of the Hulk wrecking the loving poo poo out of Manhattan and just effortlessly ruining the poo poo out of anyone who tries to stop him ruled. Concluding with, essentially, a Superman/Hulk fight was the perfect way to end it.

The problem comes from the tie-ins mostly consisting of "Here, I, some total loving no-name B-tier chump you've never heard of, will try to stop the Hulk! Oh, I don't? I get wrecked? Huh." over and over and over. There was that good tie-in with the X-Men where the Hulk's convinced against taking Xavier hostage after destroying both X-Men teams and basically everyone in the Academy, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I liked that Fear Itself tie-in with the Initiative kids and Thor Girl.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't read many of the X-Men tie-ins for Secret Wars but I started pretty much everything else and finished most of them. I'd say the it was about 80/20 good to bad. Maybe even higher on the good side. The only bad ones I can think of right off the top of my head without looking were Ultimate End, Carol Corps, Korvac Saga, and Armor Wars and I can name about 10 or more really good ones like Thors, Planet Hulk, Old Man Logan, Kitty Pryde and Star Lord, Runaways, Atilan Rising, 1872, Ghost Racers, Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet, Marvel Zombies, Siege, etc...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I liked WWH as an event, because you need a reminder occasionally between Bruce Banner's angsting and the Hulk being basically a good guy that the Hulk loving sucks and is a terror and ruins poo poo forever and cannot be loving stopped. So an event, written by Greg Pak and drawn by JRJR (the perfect artist for this event) that consists of the Hulk wrecking the loving poo poo out of Manhattan and just effortlessly ruining the poo poo out of anyone who tries to stop him ruled. Concluding with, essentially, a Superman/Hulk fight was the perfect way to end it.

The problem comes from the tie-ins mostly consisting of "Here, I, some total loving no-name B-tier chump you've never heard of, will try to stop the Hulk! Oh, I don't? I get wrecked? Huh." over and over and over. There was that good tie-in with the X-Men where the Hulk's convinced against taking Xavier hostage after destroying both X-Men teams and basically everyone in the Academy, though.

I liked the idea of WWH and I really enjoyed Planet Hulk as well. Save for the shocking twist ending to WWH as far as the subsequent explosion blah blah. The art I loving HATED I cannot stand JrJr's art when it's supposed to be some huge kinetic pace and looks like square blocky garbage. It would have been cool to see Dedato do the mini since he draws really good huge muscle dudes and drew a very imposing looking Sentry, or brought McNiven back to do it that would have been awesome as well.

Also the only good tie-in was the Ghost Rider one, where you have him hauling rear end to New York arguing with the Spirit of Vengeance that they have more important work to do. Goes and picks a fight with Hulk who just smiles and doesn't take it seriously until Hulk knocks the Rider the gently caress out and the Spirit of Vengeance takes full control. That's the only time Hulk is given pause and the Spirit rides off with Reed blubbering like a baby to Stephen Strange as to why he just left like that, and Stephen replies that "The Ghost Rider avenges only the innocent. Which we, are not."

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

What an unbearably childish glorified temper tantrum. It was a great story with excellent art, but gently caress it because it's got modified trade dress to tie into an event which A-Force, quite frankly, desperately needed considering its physical sales numbers are not great, it's the worst thing ever or something? Are you loving serious?

um what universe are you from where tie-ins to a mediocre crossover are good for sales of a title that's already struggling? I for one don't give a poo poo about CW 2 and would find my regularly scheduled program being interrupted for it more of a turn off than a turn on

also every one of your posts reads like an unbearably childish temper tantrum so I don't know where you get off. and this is coming from someone who liked your TVIV thread

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Four Score posted:

um what universe are you from where tie-ins to a mediocre crossover are good for sales of a title that's already struggling? I for one don't give a poo poo about CW 2 and would find my regularly scheduled program being interrupted for it more of a turn off than a turn on

also every one of your posts reads like an unbearably childish temper tantrum so I don't know where you get off. and this is coming from someone who liked your TVIV thread

Sadly, we live in a universe where Tie Ins on average do slightly better than non-tie ins, because even with it being a mediocre to bad event, it's selling better than the average book, and the main tie in books all got a little bit of a bump from tying in.

Events work, even though they're terrible.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

I didn't read many of the X-Men tie-ins for Secret Wars but I started pretty much everything else and finished most of them. I'd say the it was about 80/20 good to bad. Maybe even higher on the good side. The only bad ones I can think of right off the top of my head without looking were Ultimate End, Carol Corps, Korvac Saga, and Armor Wars and I can name about 10 or more really good ones like Thors, Planet Hulk, Old Man Logan, Kitty Pryde and Star Lord, Runaways, Atilan Rising, 1872, Ghost Racers, Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet, Marvel Zombies, Siege, etc...

I agree with this totally. Besides those four and the X-Men books (exempting X-Men '92), there was an overwhelming amount of good Secret Wars tie ins. Even the two anthology books were solid. Secret Wars was the best event because the tie ins could exist in their own world. Hell, I'd even consider the Last Days books as tie ins. Me Marvel and Silver Surfer were both real good.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

KittyEmpress posted:

Sadly, we live in a universe where Tie Ins on average do slightly better than non-tie ins, because even with it being a mediocre to bad event, it's selling better than the average book, and the main tie in books all got a little bit of a bump from tying in.

Events work, even though they're terrible.

to echo a previous poster, comic books readers are loving retarded, and furthermore, death to capitalism

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
how are you actual crazy people forgetting incredible herc was a WWH tie-in and journey into mystery was a fear itself one

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Remember Black Vortex?

...?

........?!?!?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Remember Black Vortex?

...?

........?!?!?

Only how the Nova tie-in tried to undo all that crap Bendis did to Thanos Imperative during Original Sin.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Every event has a good tie in or two. Even if it's a big mess, someone can usually cut off a slice, and blend with their book to make something interesting.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Die Laughing posted:

I agree with this totally. Besides those four and the X-Men books (exempting X-Men '92), there was an overwhelming amount of good Secret Wars tie ins. Even the two anthology books were solid. Secret Wars was the best event because the tie ins could exist in their own world. Hell, I'd even consider the Last Days books as tie ins. Me Marvel and Silver Surfer were both real good.

It benefited from being a crossover whose pitch parameters seemed to be "what do you want to do?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Exactly. Seems like a slam dunk, but how well did DC do with Convergence? The Shazam book was A grade, but there wasnt much else.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

Every event has a good tie in or two. Even if it's a big mess, someone can usually cut off a slice, and blend with their book to make something interesting.

SIXIS: Carnage, for example, was the only thing to come out of that event that wasn't utter poo poo.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

DigitalRaven posted:

SIXIS: Carnage, for example, was the only thing to come out of that event that wasn't utter poo poo.
Agent of Asgard used it for a major plot moment and Deadpool did some decent things with it too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This will change the Marvel universe forever!*
*changes will be minor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Threep posted:

Agent of Asgard used it for a major plot moment and Deadpool did some decent things with it too

I think that speaks more to how good Al Ewing and Gerry Duggan are.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) had a lot of good tie-ins. There was War of the Marvels during Dark Reign, and she fought the crap out of some Skrulls during Secret Invasion. House of M had a lasting impact on what kind of hero she wanted to be (because she really enjoyed the fame and authority that came with serving a fascist regime). Even during Siege, she had that cool issue where she fought Venom with Spiderman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

Exactly. Seems like a slam dunk, but how well did DC do with Convergence? The Shazam book was A grade, but there wasnt much else.

Wasn't that mostly because basically every potentially interesting pairing or idea pitched was shot down by editorial? I seem to remember reading that rumor.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That'd be an easy excuse to make. DC's editorial division was a goddam mess until recently.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

Excuse me, but AXIS: Hobgoblin exists as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Re: Convergence.

Seemed like they made an effort to pair comics with related creators where they could. Len Wein Swamp Thing, Hawkman with Timothy Truman, etc.

Because of the move the entire event was under one editor (with assistants) who I think was brought in out of company. Considering everything, I thought they did pretty well with the tie-ins.
It definitely wasn't all quality, but I had a pretty interesting couple of months just trying stuff out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

The X-Men Fear Itself tie-ins were great.

They really were.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rhyno posted:

Fear Itself - I can't think of a single bright spot.

I can!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Let's see

House of M - A few turds, nothing truly horrible.
Civil War - overwhelmingly bad tie ins that often contradicted each other and the main series.
Secret Invasion - Almost every single tie in was bad.
Annihilation - the Super Skrull mini was kind of useless but not offensively bad.
Dark Reign - Sinister Spider-man was great, not too many stand outs aside from that other than the main Dark Avengers series.
Annihilation Conquest - Wraith and Quasar were bad books. BAD.
World War Hulk - Almost the entire thing was bad.
Fear Itself - I can't think of a single bright spot.
Infinity - The main book and the two core Avengers books were good but any other tie ins felt pointless and added nothing.
Original Sin - Also mostly bad including the main book.
Secret Wars - 50/50 good/bad.

I seem to recall people really liking Original Sin and its tie-ins at the time riiight up until the end when Fury goes and unworthy-s Thor and does a bunch of other silly horseshit. Then people really turned on the whole thing after the end when Fury gets chained to the moon and Bucky becomes Fury 2. But maybe my memory's shoddy.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 9, 2016

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
The Dark Reign tie ins I liked a lot, Fraction Iron Man had it's best story and Hickman FF started there

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The Avenger Academy tie ins for Fear Itself were pretty good, from what I can recall, but pretty much all of Avenger Academy was pretty good (except those lost few issues when they tried to change stuff up...)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Never forget Atlantis Attacks

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm finally reading Alias for the first time and it's so, so goddamn good. It's so good it's made my distaste for the TV show stronger because the comic contains this massive breadth of tone and scale of storytelling that is just not present at all in JJ. And I get that part of that is because the comic constantly uses A-listers as cameos (or utilizes B-listers that only work by drawing parallels between Jessica's vague and tragic backstory and theirs, like with Rick Jones), but I just finished off the arc where Jessica investigates that missing girl in that lovely racist town and it's simultaneously hilarious and tragic and depressing in a way the TV show never really was.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 9, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Remember Black Vortex?

...?

........?!?!?

I only even know of it because the last issue of the Cyclops solo series was like part 5 of it and really annoyed me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually sorta liked Black Vortex, but yeah I imagine that was real loving annoying if you didn't read the entire event since basically no single issue of the tie-in worked as a solo entry.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

So I'm finally reading Alias for the first time and it's so, so goddamn good. It's so good it's made my distaste for the TV show stronger because the comic contains this massive breadth of tone and scale of storytelling that is just not present at all in JJ. And I get that part of that is because the comic constantly uses A-listers as cameos (or utilizes B-listers that only work by drawing parallels between Jessica's vague and tragic backstory and theirs, like with Rick Jones), but I just finished off the arc where Jessica investigates that missing girl in that lovely racist town and it's simultaneously hilarious and tragic and depressing in a way the TV show never really was.

I've been reading this too over the past few days (my Comixology app install on my iPad was bad so I'm downloading a lot of stuff again and obviously this was near the start) and I'm at the same point more or less. I guess the whole "mutant = gay" thing isn't just restricted to X-men comics. I loved the scene between Jessica and the priest.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, I really liked how Alias kept (as you said) her backstory vague throughout the series until near the end. So much that I was sort of dreading the reveal. And the TV show just starts with it.

Also liked that, yeah Luke Cage was the actual Luke Cage, not an unknown pre-origin version of him.

Also (and I won't ruin it if you haven't got there) the final thing Killgrave makes her do where she gets away from him is so much better than whatever the show did.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just love the part where Scott Lang asks JJ if she was raped and she flips out on him, mortified that he would even have the loving gall to ask that.

It's stuff like that that's both funny while also being a fairly nuanced critique of both the culture of rape-as-plot-device in comics and rape culture, in general, without feeling like the unceasing bummer that the TV show often is.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

I just love the part where Scott Lang asks JJ if she was raped and she flips out on him, mortified that he would even have the loving gall to ask that.

It's stuff like that that's both funny while also being a fairly nuanced critique of both the culture of rape-as-plot-device in comics and rape culture, in general, without feeling like the unceasing bummer that the TV show often is.

sorry there isn't enough levity and theatrics in your television rape plots? what the gently caress is wrong with you

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm picturing a world where every piece of media is like a Todd Solondz movie :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Are the marvel: season one books just a retelling or origins?

• Locked thread