Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
From my dad:

http://imgur.com/a/BA94E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

quark is more of an underling/middle man than a crime boss

He's Odos' underling. Quark manages the local smuggling and thievery, basically head of the guild. Odo watches quark. You're not going to do big poo poo on a federation outpost. He tried to move on up to being an actual crime boss, but it was shot down pretty hard by Sisko.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

drat, it would have been awesome to own a few of those scripts. I know my dad was in the fan club in the late 60's/early 70's, but I don't think he has any of that.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Are there particular Star Trek actors who actually enjoy talking about little things in episodes? I've always wondered that when I see a picture of a cast member in Q&As.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Are there particular Star Trek actors who actually enjoy talking about little things in episodes? I've always wondered that when I see a picture of a cast member in Q&As.

Most of the TNG cast seem to love doing panels and answering questions they've clearly heard 1000 times. Brent Spiner was really cool when I met him a few years ago but since it was an off panel table he wanted to talk about life instead of Trek which was still cool. And he gave me a copy of his music cd!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My experience from the panels I've attended us that actors generally don't remember random episodes enough to discuss them. The exceptions are always massive steps from the usual formula, explaining why they recall it at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the guys from TNG/DS9/VOY also knew about the con circuit poo poo when they got into it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
For all Voyager's flaws, the acting crew knows they're beloved by their fans and also that their show was plagued by extreme quality fluctuations, they tend to have really great panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkCbpAWKZk

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Earlier tonight, I was at a local arcade complex that just opened up a few weeks ago, and I spotted this and immediately played it. Made by Bally in 1979.

Happy 50th, ya filthy animals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

I imagine the guys from TNG/DS9/VOY also knew about the con circuit poo poo when they got into it.

My favorite Trek con experience was at the Motor City Comic-Con about 15 years ago or so and Garret Wang was a guest and absolutely no one wanted his autograph and the staff decided they should announce that there was no waiting for autographs every 15 minutes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

My favorite Trek con experience was at the Motor City Comic-Con about 15 years ago or so and Garret Wang was a guest and absolutely no one wanted his autograph and the staff decided they should announce that there was no waiting for autographs every 15 minutes.

This is the funniest and saddest thing I've read about him.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJYzUimSaDA

It only took us four takes to get our part right!

JPL wins though. JPL always wins.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonz posted:

Earlier tonight, I was at a local arcade complex that just opened up a few weeks ago, and I spotted this and immediately played it. Made by Bally in 1979.

Bones is RIPPED.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

armoredgorilla posted:

For all Voyager's flaws, the acting crew knows they're beloved by their fans and also that their show was plagued by extreme quality fluctuations, they tend to have really great panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKkCbpAWKZk

The cast was told to act as two dimensional as possible and Mulgrew had to shoot several dozen scenes over again for being too good at acting. :stonk: Goddrat was Voyager a waste of potential.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Bones is RIPPED.

He does 15 sets of 10 reps of backhanding women that give him too much lip twice a day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the funniest and saddest thing I've read about him.

I remember that we almost went to get an autograph because of how bad we were staring to feel for him.

WickedHate posted:

The cast was told to act as two dimensional as possible and Mulgrew had to shoot several dozen scenes over again for being too good at acting. :stonk: Goddrat was Voyager a waste of potential.

I mean, other than her and Picardo who else has had much of a post Trek career?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I remember that we almost went to get an autograph because of how bad we were staring to feel for him.

I mean, other than her and Picardo who else has had much of a post Trek career?

Paris did a bunch of tv directing. Jeri Ryan was on Boston Legal and Leverage. But yeah, the rest of the cast sits around all day either smoking blunts or waiting for sentencing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Roxann Dawson does a bunch of directing now too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Paris did a bunch of tv directing. Jeri Ryan was on Boston Legal and Leverage. But yeah, the rest of the cast sits around all day either smoking blunts or waiting for sentencing.

Yeah I tend to forget about Jeri Ryan even though she was queen of the nerd fantasies for a decade.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Both Generations and First Contact are beautifully shot I feel or at least, were good at contrasting color.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Both Generations and First Contact are beautifully shot I feel or at least, were good at contrasting color.

Generations had a really good veteran cinematographer and it shows.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 9, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Generations had a really good veteran cinematographer and it shows.

Whoever was in charge of lighting did a pretty lovely job though. It feels like they were trying to hard to get away from the uniformly lit aesthetic of the TV show to the point where everything was way too dark.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SwissCM posted:

Whoever was in charge of lighting did a pretty lovely job though. It feels like they were trying to hard to get away from the uniformly lit aesthetic of the TV show to the point where everything was way too dark.

They were hiding the set and costume quality being TV-grade.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MikeJF posted:

They were hiding the set and costume quality being TV-grade.

This aesthetic carried over to sets and costumes that were made for the movie, though. Having said that, I guess that could just be an attempt at consistency.

First Contact definitely had much better costuming and set design but two-takes Frakes is more of a TV director than a film maestro.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gonz posted:

:eyepop:

I just love all the insanity you get post-cancellation and pre-TWoK. It was like everything was based on the idea of familiarity with the characters, and zero shits were given about anything else, even when TMP was a thing. TWoK really tightened up the franchise's image and gave it a consistent look that would last right up to TNG.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

:eyepop:

I just love all the insanity you get post-cancellation and pre-TWoK. It was like everything was based on the idea of familiarity with the characters, and zero shits were given about anything else, even when TMP was a thing. TWoK really tightened up the franchise's image and gave it a consistent look that would last right up to TNG.

Hell, just look at the Gold Key comics even when the series was still on the air.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Slightly off topic, but there was a whole lotta pinball at this place. Most i've seen all at once in quite a long time.

They even had a restored Asteroids machine:

There was a Millipede and a Missile Command nearby, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SwissCM posted:

Oh, I disagree. The darkened lighting makes those cheap tv sets look absolutely stunning. It allows the color of the uniforms and the okudagrams to really pop, and the effect is unlike any of the other films. I mean

Lighting is also the easiest way to create atmosphere and evoke emotion.

The entire crash-landing sequence wouldn't be anywhere near as effective if the sets had been lit with TV lighting or an equivalent. You're not lighting a real starship, you're lighting a movie set and using it to impact how the audience feels in a given scene.

(And even if you look at it from the angle of real-world practicality, you can't tell me that a starship bridge full of gloss black touchscreen displays wouldn't benefit from a light scheme in which glare is reduced to almost nothing. Try using your iPad outside on a sunny day.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Re-watching "The Naked Time" just now, the time warp at the end has always seemed like a weird tacked on thing in that episode.

The way they talk about it too is basically saying "Time travel is a thing now in this show, we're gonna do it a lot."

Then though, the next time they do it is "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and it's due to an accidental slingshot and not the engine cold start method. They later use that slingshot method in "Assignment Earth." That's it for them traveling through time via the ship. There are a few other instances of it (like guardian of forever), but not intentional travel via the ship.

It really feels as though someone came on down high and said "Yeah, the universe is too limiting (to our budget), let's change this into a time travel show so we can use stock props."

Edit:

Apparently, "The Naked Time" was supposed to be a part one of "Tomorrow is Yesterday", so that makes more sense.

quote:

This episode was originally going to be the second part of a two part story that would have begun in "The Naked Time". In an earlier draft of the script, when Kirk ordered a hyperbolic course, he wanted the direction to be "Doesn't matter... the way we came... toward Earth." [1] This is why that story ends with a temporal displacement, and this story begins with one.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Naked Time is a great episode because it starts with a guy totally defeating his own bio suit by taking his glove off and putting his ungloved hand inside his helmet to smell it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Patrick Stewart says that he had no idea. He showed up for his first convention, and as he was waiting backstage for his very first panel, he asked the con staff "...did anyone show up for this? Is there anyone out there?" seemingly expecting there to be a sad smattering of individuals, rather than a roaring crowd of hundreds.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cojawfee posted:

The Naked Time is a great episode because it starts with a guy totally defeating his own bio suit by taking his glove off and putting his ungloved hand inside his helmet to smell it.
Must have been a favourite episode of the crew of the Prometheus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Patrick Stewart says that he had no idea. He showed up for his first convention, and as he was waiting backstage for his very first panel, he asked the con staff "...did anyone show up for this? Is there anyone out there?" seemingly expecting there to be a sad smattering of individuals, rather than a roaring crowd of hundreds.

My favorite example of "Star discovers fans" is still none other than William Shatner. He'd been doing conventions for decades, he knew the drill. He arrives, they usher him in, he goes on stage and tells the same five or six anecdotes, the crowd cheers, they usher him out, he gets his money and goes home.

And then for one convention he decided to put on a big silly rubber monster mask (so as not to be recognized), and went wandering around the dealers' room and the hotel parties. And he discovered an entire world that he had known nothing about, even though it was centered on him.

His* book Get a Life! covers all of this, and is actually a really interesting read. I recommend picking it up if you happen across a copy.

* With co-writer Chris Kreski, who was totally a co-writer and not a ghost writer or anything, why would the famous author of TekWar need a ghost writer

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The triangle represents The Finite Art Man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This was also Andy Merrill at the 1997 Comic-Con. He came out of the panel room where the Space Ghost panel was going to be with a camcorder because someone had told him there was a huge line outside. I was right there at the front as he held it uncertainly to his eye and panned up the line muttering "Oh my god.... look at all the people :aaaaa:"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A legacy of excellence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA

Also found this morning talk show interview with Avery Brooks and Rene Auberjonois, which is worth watching for Brooks' incredible hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWmATqfebQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Avery Brooks is a stylish dude. You wish you could pull off those outfits.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
He was the man called Hawk.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am watching the original series and the Season 2 Episode 3 where they just casually erase all of Uhura's memories entirely erasing her personality and they're just like " Welp, just reeducate her". What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure if that's a sadder fate than Jennifer Lien's post-Voyager career. Unlike Ensign Kim, she could get arrested. And has been. Several times.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jennifer-lien-arrested-star-trek-voyager-1201594328/