Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Isnt "Fox Sports 1" just the rebranded "Speed TV"? Their coverage was excellent (only surpassed for me by the BBC) and i'd love to see the broadcasting dream team of Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett together again.

And lest we forget,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKr4dhxIwZ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Isnt "Fox Sports 1" just the rebranded "Speed TV"? Their coverage was excellent (only surpassed for me by the BBC) and i'd love to see the broadcasting dream team of Hobbs, Varsha and Matchett together again.

And lest we forget,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKr4dhxIwZ0

It's a replacement in the sense that FS1 occupies the same channel that Speed did, otherwise they're completely different (FS1 is general sports coverage, supposed to be a competitor to ESPN :laffo:). It's not like when Outdoor Life Network slowly shifted to general sports coverage by first picking up the Tour de France and the NHL, becoming Versus eventually, and then NBCSN.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Which means NBC will likely lose broadcast rights and they'll give it to Fox... and promptly put it on Fox Sports 1 WHICH NO ONE WATCHES. They did that with the NASCAR races and viewership dropped like mad. This was their plan for the 24 Hours of LeMans one year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/foxs-tv-schedule-for-the-24-hours-of-le-mans-is-heinous-1709149579 , and then did this this year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/fox-sports-pushed-the-start-of-motorsports-biggest-even-1782209818 .

(Not to say all of Fox's sports coverage is bad though. I like their American football coverage over CBS for the day games and their "local" channels pretty much allow all the local teams to be covered (Fox Sports Wisconsin pretty much airs all the Brewers and Bucks games that aren't on ESPN).)

none of this is as simple as you guys seem to think. for example, liberty media does not own virgin media. virgin media is owned by liberty global, which was spun out of liberty media a decade ago. and their relationship with news corp/fox/sky is little more than mutual shareholding. the new F1 chairman, chase carey, is the fox vice chairman, and his relationship with liberty goes back to when he worked for directv and they were a liberty subsidiary (now owned by AT&T).

so, no, we don't have to worry about F1 handing TV rights over to fox by default. NBC's deal ends after next year though i would guess that they are going to throw more money at it since FS1 arguably has better programming than NBCSN.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 9, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What if he runs F1 like a legitimate business?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Varsha no longer works for FOX so Joe Buck will probably start calling F1 if that happens. :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Varsha no longer works for FOX so Joe Buck will probably start calling F1 if that happens. :suicide:

:allbuttons:

Go to the corner and think about what you've done.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

none of this is as simple as you guys seem to think. for example, liberty media does not own virgin media. virgin media is owned by liberty global, which was spun out of liberty media a decade ago. and their relationship with news corp/fox/sky is little more than mutual shareholding. the new F1 chairman, chase carey, is the fox vice chairman, and his relationship with liberty goes back to when he worked for directv and they were a liberty subsidiary (now owned by AT&T).

so, no, we don't have to worry about F1 handing TV rights over to fox by default. NBC's deal ends after next year though i would guess that they are going to throw more money at it since FS1 arguably has better programming than NBCSN.

wicka, we already told you once to stop posting sane things. I don't want to have to tell you again.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Just got an Xbox one. Anyone have any recommendation on racing sims? I guess I will get the f1 game but don't know about others. I won't be buying wheels or anything just standard controller.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If we're lucky, being american, they'll take the lesson of the NFL that good competition is more profitable than giving Ferrari a financial blowjob.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

thegasman2000 posted:

Just got an Xbox one. Anyone have any recommendation on racing sims? I guess I will get the f1 game but don't know about others. I won't be buying wheels or anything just standard controller.

I enjoy Forza 6 quite a bit and have put a ton of hours into it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

thegasman2000 posted:

Project Cars has fake Formula GP and F3 series that are actually really fun and karts. Assetto Corsa has the actual 2015 Ferrari car as DLC. AC is a bit more simmy than Project Cars I think but maybe the latter still felt pretty good with a controller to me. Neither are hyper realistic.

I read the F1 game is actually really good this year but I haven't bought it yet.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah the f1 game is highly rated but expensive as gently caress. Cheers Bernie!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

thegasman2000 posted:

PCars is pretty good although the cars handle like crap due to default tunes and ya need good settings for the gamepad.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I look forward to Dale Earnhardt, IV driving the Coors Lite Bass Pro Shops Chevy F1 car to 8 consecutive WDC's and the "season" having multiple short track
oval races around some southeastern USA swamps on the calendar. :heritage:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I look forward to Dale Earnhardt, IV driving the Coors Lite Bass Pro Shops Chevy F1 car to 8 consecutive WDC's and the "season" having multiple short track

Jokes on you there's no dale Earnhardt in nascar anymore and like 4 tracks in the south.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Keyser S0ze posted:

That would be bad rear end.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've hopefully daydreamed for many years now about a Chevrolet f1 project.

thegasman2000 posted:

Forza 6 is a ton of fun and we do weekly races wednesday night at 9PM with fun specs:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778523
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727535&pagenumber=87#lastpost

Also check out Dirt Rally. Its a pretty tough very fun sim.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Formula One at Road Atlanta would be extremely cool.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

the idea of dale earnhardt jr raising a child, while adorable, is unfortunately extremely unlikely

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Road Atlanta is great. Any reason why open-wheel, in any form, generally stays away?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Canada '98 is an unforgivable sin for Jacques. I hate him now.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've hopefully daydreamed for many years now about a Chevrolet f1 project.

Ford is more likely but I'd love to have GM in as a marque. I used to think I'd like to see Ford come in again and stick it to Ferrari but I honestly don't care anymore. GM showing that it can be a R&D powerhouse again would be far more interesting in my opinion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Villeneuve is a hack fraud.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He's literally the worst. It's loving been 18 years and I screamed what the gently caress watching that overtake.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

iospace posted:

Which means NBC will likely lose broadcast rights and they'll give it to Fox... and promptly put it on Fox Sports 1 WHICH NO ONE WATCHES. They did that with the NASCAR races and viewership dropped like mad. This was their plan for the 24 Hours of LeMans one year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/foxs-tv-schedule-for-the-24-hours-of-le-mans-is-heinous-1709149579 , and then did this this year: http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/fox-sports-pushed-the-start-of-motorsports-biggest-even-1782209818 .

(Not to say all of Fox's sports coverage is bad though. I like their American football coverage over CBS for the day games and their "local" channels pretty much allow all the local teams to be covered (Fox Sports Wisconsin pretty much airs all the Brewers and Bucks games that aren't on ESPN).)

I thought FS1 was commonly in the same package that NBCSN was in and the problems were because they pushed everything over to FS2 which you only have if you are in loving Sioux Falls, SD. I don't think Comcast even offers FS2 in any market.

CBS also has a sports channel (forget the name of it) and their racing coverage is pretty decent as well for some of the other series. I like FS1's racing commentary as well. gently caress Fox Sports for American Football though, actually gently caress all of the networks. They all suck to varying degrees. I can't tolerate watching any coverage unless I'm at a bar or something with friends. At home I'll watch it on mute.

gently caress you Chris Collinsworth, you loving hack.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

All I want out of this deal is a way to stream races online. I'll even pay for it. Give me an app or something to watch practice/qualifying/full races.

Also, bring F1 to Road America.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i hope they develop a centralized streaming service a la motogp, because NBC's streaming is absolutely loving trash

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

Only two US courses are FIA Grade 1: Indy and Austin. Daytona, Belle Isle, Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Mid-Ohio, New Jersey, Somona, St. Pete, and The Glen are Grade 2. Baltimore is /technically/ Grade 2, though it hasn't had a race on its streets since 2013. Barber is grade 2+1T. Atlanta doesn't even have a FIA grade. As much as I would love to see a 2nd US F1 race and have that be rotating among all the great road courses we have, the amount of work it would take to get those tracks up to what F1 wants would likely ruin what makes those tracks great.

Though the dream of seeing F1 cars losing their poo poo on Turn 5 at Road America always makes me smile :unsmith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bring back the DetroitDallas Grand Prix.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

indy is an ideal F1 track because F1 can't possibly make it any worse

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is the FIA Grade for the Caesars Palace parking lot?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As bad as the layout was, the facilities for the CPGP were quite good for the time, even including gravel runoffs on a street course, IIRC.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

i hope they develop a centralized streaming service a la motogp, because NBC's streaming is absolutely loving trash

Careful what you wish for. I wouldnt be suprised if they offer it..... at $60 a month (judging by the ticket prices)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

:cumpolice::cumpolice::cumpolice::cumpolice::cumpolice::cumpolice::cumpolice::cumpolice:

Jesus man, you can't post poo poo like that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

As bad as the layout was, the facilities for the CPGP were quite good for the time, even including gravel runoffs on a street course, IIRC.

It also, inexplicably, made money.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I think I will enjoy this takeover because it will mean more American posters who appreciate our Lewis and admire Britain and less European posters who are pissed off because they can't live off our taxes anymore and defend Cheating Nico

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Dallas apparently would have made money if someone didn't take the money and run with it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

Vegas is where you can charge $200 to watch The Price is Right.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

indy is an ideal F1 track because F1 can't possibly make it any worse

They could always take lovely exploding tyres

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

They could always take lovely exploding tyres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper