Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Gutter Owl posted:

There is, but it moves pretty slow, and is like 80% people talking to themselves. (To be fair, I'm guilty of this too.)

Let me save you some agony: Have something concrete to post before you post there. A prototype, a playtest document, pictures, something to actually comment on. "So I have an idea" posts are dirt common and universally ignored.

Thanks. I have google docs of the most basic concepts as well as some more detailed ideas about deck size and composition, victory conditions, movement, etc. as well as really simple layout/deck prototyping [index cards, sharpie and various bits and bobs from my dice box] underway. I'll probably finish the core gameplay idea, refine it to a prototype with real visual information, and play-test at least once before I go and post about it.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

strangemusic posted:

Thanks. I have google docs of the most basic concepts as well as some more detailed ideas about deck size and composition, victory conditions, movement, etc. as well as really simple layout/deck prototyping [index cards, sharpie and various bits and bobs from my dice box] underway. I'll probably finish the core gameplay idea, refine it to a prototype with real visual information, and play-test at least once before I go and post about it.

Don't stress too hard about the graphic design before posting. Sharpie on index cards is fine. Just so long as there's something tangible for the thread to look at, rather than a mind-numbing google spreadsheet or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

strangemusic posted:

:justpost:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gifted Patchwork to my friends today. They independently bought 2P blockus for themselves today, so I think that Patchwork will be a hit. For people who have played it more: is there anything specifically other than balance that would keep it from being extensible to 3 or 4P?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

strangemusic posted:

I post there sometimes. I can say from experience, that the more I can visualize a game the more I'll be able to critique it. I try to address any new questions in the thread, but occasionally I don't know enough about the genre, or I can't visualize the game well enough to make a comment. It's also easier for me to answer super specific questions. If you present me with two systems and say, "which is more fun," I can give my opinion. If you present me with the abstract of the game and say "what do you think," it's much harder for me to give you an opinion.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
I tried out Millennium Blades two-player today and had a pretty good time with it. It kind of felt like Galaxy Trucker, but with having no real idea what pieces are out there. Grab some cards, sell some cards, grab some more cards, throw together a collection, see if there's the beginning of a deck, fuse the rest. I'm not quite sure how you're supposed to have time to work out trades--keeping track of what I had was hard enough. I'm not sure if that would have changed even with more players, but maybe that's something that becomes more of a thing as people start to learn some of the basic cards? It seems to me like it would still give a lot of information out about what your deck does. I seemed to always be able to find something that worked together.

We played with the Pre-release and I don't recall much about the first tournament, but I lost it. 2nd tournament I was able to disrupt my opponent's strategy, which relied on copying high value cards, by forcing him to flip with a card that gave every card in all tableaus a "flip: force your opponent to flip a card" ability. His massive scoring card was unflippable, but I got all the copies of it. I also had a gold promo that turned fire stars into RP at scoring time. I won by 3 points. Third tournament I saw quite a few cards that manipulated the top of the store deck and allowed clashing. Winning clashes tended to allow me to keep some cards off the top, and I actually got one that allowed me to add stars to other cards and complemented this strategy nicely. I won the third tournament by a fairly large margin, but even without the lucky topdeck I'd still have come out ahead.

Knowing the cards in this game would be a massive advantage, but there's handicapping built in. Plus there are a ton of cards. I'm definitely wanting to give this one another go, though at $80 I'm glad I wasn't the one that bought it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haha I played a 6 player Millenium Blades with a bunch of pro Magic players and we were all making lovely jokes and being disruptive. Like I would interrupt someone's turn by saying "Do you mind if I vape in your face" and another guy would skim cards when we weren't looking or yell "JUDGE!" when someone was taking too long. It was late in the night and we were tipsy and everyone hated the game at the end but I'm resolute in playing it again with 3 or 4.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

haha I played a 6 player Millenium Blades with a bunch of pro Magic players and we were all making lovely jokes and being disruptive. Like I would interrupt someone's turn by saying "Do you mind if I vape in your face" and another guy would skim cards when we weren't looking or yell "JUDGE!" when someone was taking too long. It was late in the night and we were tipsy and everyone hated the game at the end but I'm resolute in playing it again with 3 or 4.

I was actually surprised that there was no rule for getting a rule judgement about how cards interact--it seemed like they had everything else. In this game that almost seems like an oversight.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
That Mage Knight deal fell through, but I just bought:

- Hanabi
- Good Cop Bad Cop
- Seasons
- Love Letter
- Medieval Academy
- Citadels w/ Dark City expansion

for $75 shipped from someone else on BGG. Assuming I don't get screwed somehow, I think I got a pretty sweet deal.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I gifted Patchwork to my friends today. They independently bought 2P blockus for themselves today, so I think that Patchwork will be a hit. For people who have played it more: is there anything specifically other than balance that would keep it from being extensible to 3 or 4P?

Probably just balance, you could buy another box and make THE BIGGEST RONDEL

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

deadwing posted:

Probably just balance, you could buy another box and make THE BIGGEST RONDEL
Alternatively...

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Dear Thread,

Having taken the MAGA toxx for Trump cos why not and having a sudden realisation of impending yet easily remidied ban I'd like to take one more toxx.

If Trump wins and I am safe BUT if Trump does not make Eric Summerer the white house spokesman or Official Everything Is Ok Here Guy then I hereby toxx once more cos i wanna live in that world

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sleekly posted:

Dear Thread,

Having taken the MAGA toxx for Trump cos why not and having a sudden realisation of impending yet easily remidied ban I'd like to take one more toxx.

If Trump wins and I am safe BUT if Trump does not make Eric Summerer the white house spokesman or Official Everything Is Ok Here Guy then I hereby toxx once more cos i wanna live in that world

I...

What?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, FFG have officially announced they will no longer be allowed the Games Workshop license.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

This means all GW-affiliated products will be discontinued from February 28 2017 onward.

This includes Warhammer: Diskwars.

:smithicide:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

Well, guess I went and did it and finished my collection of Yomi characters. I even bought Argagarg. I feel dirty.

EDIT: No gutterowl, I didn't get the EX expansion.

The EX stuff is really fun to use whenever I get an opportunity to do so, which is incredibly rarely since I own the irl version. No idea how it affects balance though. It makes Midori a lot more fun.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tevery Best posted:

So, FFG have officially announced they will no longer be allowed the Games Workshop license.

This means all GW-affiliated products will be discontinued from February 28 2017 onward.

RIP all the good Warhammer games

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder if FFG would care enough to just retheme these games so that they can continue to sell them. WHF > Runebound-verse, WH40K > Twilight Imperiumverse. It's not like it would be a difficult conversion, but I don't know if there's enough of a business driver.

RIP Conquest, though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This weekend is a good time to buy any copies of diskwars or Forbidden Stars or anything else in the warhams universe made by ffg before people start jacking the prices up. Also, a good time to buy copies if you're planning on jacking the prices up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How is War of the Ring? The minis make it looks like a Lord of the Rings version of Risk or something, but I feel like it's probably more complex than that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Goddammit there goes any hope for a(n easily compatible) Forbidden Stars expansion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Impermanent posted:

This weekend is a good time to buy any copies of diskwars or Forbidden Stars or anything else in the warhams universe made by ffg before people start jacking the prices up. Also, a good time to buy copies if you're planning on jacking the prices up.

Is the Diskwars expansion easily available? It doesn't seem to be at my FLGS

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hammer & Hold and Legion of Darkness diskwars expansiosn are available on Amazon US.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Kind of surprised to see DungeonQuest isn't on the list of games they're stopping, as that was a GW one too. I guess GW relinquished that one when it was rethemed as a Terinoth game?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tevery Best posted:

Future generations will only be able to play Talisman on hand drawn boards constructed from cereal boxes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

How is War of the Ring? The minis make it looks like a Lord of the Rings version of Risk or something, but I feel like it's probably more complex than that.

It's good, it's a wargame with a side race-to-mordor thing that limits the turn count. Also the free peoples mostly don't try to win a military victory, so it's really "one side attacks with overwhelming force and tries to capture enough cities before the other side finishes its win condition and tries to defend as much as possible".

Also it's somewhat card driven and dice-action driven.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

COOL CORN posted:

It's p great. If you've got 3-4 hours to kill for 2 people, it's my go-to game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Impermanent posted:

Hammer & Hold and Legion of Darkness diskwars expansiosn are available on Amazon US.

Somehow didn't realize there were two. Hopefully availability holds out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Impermanent posted:

They have the license until next year, I almost guarantee they'll flood the market to milk out as much profit as possible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

FS is still like $100 right?

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Edit: Never mind, I had no idea Fury of Dracula was GW game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Momotaros posted:

Uh wait, why is Fury of Dracula on that list for Games Workshop games leaving the FFG catalog?

Dracula was a GW license reprinted and updated

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

poo poo. I need to grab fury of Dracula quick

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's a small, distant hope in my heart that this means that Forbidden Stars gets re-re designed as a sequel to the starcraft board game it was already based on.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Well, I wish I knew this before I blew my $260 gift card wad at CSI, probably would have picked up Fury of Dracula :/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Kinda kicking myself for giving away Fury of Dracula 2E.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

What will happen to the Steam version of Talisman?!:ohdear:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

The worst submarine posted:

What will happen to the Steam version of Talisman?!:ohdear:

Nomad Games is the publisher of those technically so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That covers Chaos in the Old World, right?

Granted, I already have a copy, but I'm just curious.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In the far-off year of Two Thousand and Seventeen, mankind continues their search for the ultimate form of entertainment. Their quest brings them into possession of relics of a bygone age known simply as Talisman. It is spoken of only in whispers, as the very practice of producing the game has been forbidden by the dreaded Games Workshop. The markings on the pieces seem to indicate a primitive attempt to recreate the game on the remnants of discarded refuse. Who or what could have possessed a man to carve the game from literal garbage, we may never know. But still, his legacy lives on. If you listen closely to the wind on a moonless night, you can hear the cries... Rutibex....