Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm in the middle of A Thousand-Fold Thought and I have mixed feelings. I like the concept, and the side characters are all interesting, but I find the main character to be pretty dull. How does the second trilogy compare?

That depends. Do you view the main character as Achamian or Kellhus? Because the latter of the two has significantly less on-screen time in the second trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm in the middle of A Thousand-Fold Thought and I have mixed feelings. I like the concept, and the side characters are all interesting, but I find the main character to be pretty dull. How does the second trilogy compare?
Yeah I'm gonna second that the answer here depends thoroughly on who exactly you mean by the main character.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Cnaius is the main character.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I was referring to Kellhus. I like all the other characters with the exception of Serwe.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The second series is a lot less character-driven but the setting is ratcheted up in a big way.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

I was referring to Kellhus. I like all the other characters with the exception of Serwe.

Then I would say give the second trilogy a shot.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Reading The Judging Eye, I kinda don't care about the Great Ordeal that much and I'm ok with the book keeping Kehllus trucking while the rest of the world moves around it. I don't need yet another book devoted as to how Kehllus reads people and converts them to his belief.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dazerbeams posted:

It's a series that is awesome in summary but boring in detail, with the exception of the first two books of the first trilogy, and maybe the latest book.

It's overlong and overwrought, much like A Song of Ice and Fire, and much of it serves to exroll the author's psuedoscientific philosophy of neurology which was much better, and much more quickly described in the book Blindsight, which is definitely worth a read, I will add. The reaction to his philosophy, from any rational or cynical person should range from "of course...", "oh...", or "who cares?" The philosophy in Bakker's books will only astound you if you come to it from a place of magical thinking, hyper spirituality, and/or a nigh unshakable belief in the human spirit. It's probably a philosophy that would fascinate a teenager but that many adults just take for granted.

Despite that, I do think it's a good series, especially when compared to other book-stopper fantasy. However, I find huge chunks of the books, and the philosophy they extoll, boring. The series could be renamed to: "Reasonably intelligent sociopath conquers Planet of the Mentally Handicapped" or, just for fun, "Fat and Sassy Magical Badasses."

TL;DR - Parts of the series are some of the best fantasy, maybe the best fiction, you'll ever read but unfortunately those parts are bookended by boring slogs through boring and stupid characters and boring ideas.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 31, 2016

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The slog of boring slogs, boys!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Esmenet chapters are the True Slog of Slogs. When I re-read I'm going to skip THE gently caress out of those.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gazaar posted:

Esmenet chapters are the True Slog of Slogs. When I re-read I'm going to skip THE gently caress out of those.

Counterpoint, Kelmomas is loving awesome.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Gazaar posted:

in contrast, ishterebinth owns

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
kellhus isnt a character

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nevvy Z posted:

I really enjoyed reading him slowly destroying everything he has wanted or hoped for culminating with him destroying the White Luck Warrior's Unerring Grace.

I think I enjoyed Sorweel's part of the books especially the climax where a deranged legendary giant rises and destroys the corrupted remains of his people. ...but really isn't the story about how this put upon loser gets the pretty girl? So maybe I didn't enjoy it that much.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 4, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

I can tolerate Esmenet but I hate this little fucker. For some reason he makes me think of every evil child in movies/fiction ever and I always hated this cliché.

Hypocrisy posted:

I really enjoyed reading him slowly destroying everything he has wanted or hoped for culminating with him destroying the White Luck Warrior's Unerring Grace.

I think I enjoyed Sorweel's part of the books especially the climax where a deranged legendary giant rises and destroys the corrupted remains of his people. ...but really isn't the story about how this put upon loser gets the pretty girl? So maybe I didn't enjoy it that much.

Sorweel's part was more about a really stupid kid slowly learning he didn't know everything while other people do the hard work. Serwa was more impressive, since she not only survived a lot of torture, but also in the end destroyed those stupid Nonmen-fuckers after said giant removed the gag from her mouth so she could use sorcery.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just got to the part with Proyo and Big K...

:allbuttons:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

I just got to the part with Proyo and Big K...

:allbuttons:

To be honest, that stuff doesn't even face me anymore, I just roll my eyes, suppress my disgust, and read on. It's basically a Bakkerism at this point.

poo poo like this and Sorweel masturbating to Serwa and Moenghus Jr. loving is in all his books. It's like with Robert Jordan and his weird spanking fetish. Some authors just have this one weird thing you start to notice after reading their books for long enough. :shrug:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Libluini posted:

To be honest, that stuff doesn't even face me anymore, I just roll my eyes, suppress my disgust, and read on. It's basically a Bakkerism at this point.

poo poo like this and Sorweel masturbating to Serwa and Moenghus Jr. loving is in all his books. It's like with Robert Jordan and his weird spanking fetish. Some authors just have this one weird thing you start to notice after reading their books for long enough. :shrug:

It just seemed to come up so randomly. I love how brutally graphic every description is though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cnaiur digging holes in the ground and loving them while crying, is me irl

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Libluini posted:

Some authors just have this one weird thing you start to notice after reading their books for long enough. :shrug:

Or indeed for any time at all.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Cnaiur digging holes in the ground and loving them while crying, is me irl

Why does he do that anyway? I can't remember... maybe the same reason we all do...

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Why does he do that anyway? I can't remember... maybe the same reason we all do...

If my memory isn't failing me, because he's gay for Kellhus or something.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mcustic posted:

If my memory isn't failing me, because he's gay for Kellhus or something.

Isn't everyone?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Isn't everyone?

You're not one of the People, so you don't count.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Conphas was a huge disappointment. I thought he was really interesting, but I guess Bakker didn't want anyone to challenge Khellus. RIP

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

I think coz Serwe doesn't love him coupled with the stress of having to try and out fox Kellhus. Not 100% on that though.

Dazerbeams posted:

Conphas was a huge disappointment. I thought he was really interesting, but I guess Bakker didn't want anyone to challenge Khellus. RIP

I really like Conphas. He's talented but entitled and arrogant, there is something about his character that I find particularly detestable in a book of evil gods and rape aliens.... maybe coz he is one of the few non-kellhus characters that could actually affect events, but instead lets everything slip through his fingers.

Also he is part of some of my favourite little moments in the books: Kellhus calling him out on thinking he is a god, the various stages of Conphas vs Cnauir - particularly when Conphas thinks he has bested his opponent and is having a Dr Evil style celebratory dinner with him only to get severely beaten and raped.

turntabler fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 26, 2016

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Heck, give me silly masks, leather kilts and the knee kissing you can shake a stick at, and I won't even care if they cut out hordes of orcs with rampant erections

When reading the action I always forget that they are not actually ugly orcs, but described as more like feral elves. So they are cutting down hordes of angry short Legolas and Elrond looking suckers.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ianmacdo posted:

When reading the action I always forget that they are not actually ugly orcs, but described as more like feral elves. So they are cutting down hordes of angry short Legolas and Elrond looking suckers.

They're more like man-dogs with beautiful nonman (elvish) faces, iirc.

Nonmen, I believe, look like the alien from [the movie] Prometheus, but smaller.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 27, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Discussion of the new book never really picked up like I expected it to.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 27, 2016

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Noam Chomsky posted:

Nonmen, I believe, look like the alien from [the movie] Prometheus, but smaller.

Definitely agree with this.

Not sure about this - I always took "doglike" to just mean feral and like little dirty goblin barbarian versions of the Nonmen. I may have just missed some more specific description. I do remember that they dress up a little bit, with teeth and ears and whatever.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The ribcage/chest is always described as dog-like.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Maybe cause it was released at different times all over the world.
I got my copy last week.

It was pretty great, and sofar the best book in the Aspect-Emperor series.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The ribcage/chest is always described as dog-like.

Also they have the hind-legs of a dog. I forget which book they're described in.

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Sranc

quote:

Typically, Sranc stand no higher than the average caste-menial’s shoulder. Their skin is devoid of pigment, and despite the refined—to the point of repulsiveness—beauty of their faces, their physiognomy is bestial (though hairless), with pinched shoulders and deep, almond-shaped breasts. They are exceedingly fast across both open and broken terrain, and their sheer viciousness is said to compensate for their slight stature.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

What if the Nogod IS the god of gods? Maybe the consult have dragged the god down into a physical form, and the reason for the constant WHAT AM I is because, as an infinite being, the god is incapable of perceiving itself and the world.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What if the Nogod IS the god of gods? Maybe the consult have dragged the god down into a physical form, and the reason for the constant WHAT AM I is because, as an infinite being, the god is incapable of perceiving itself and the world.

So by imprisoning God, judgement is denied to all and therefore no one goes to hell. Would explain all the Chorae on the sarcophagus.
How does that rhyme with the stillborn though?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cardiac posted:

So by imprisoning God, judgement is denied to all and therefore no one goes to hell. Would explain all the Chorae on the sarcophagus.
How does that rhyme with the stillborn though?

If the chorae can contain The God then something weird as gently caress is going on - the whole point of the Aporetics is to keep the universe going in the direction the god intended (which explains why they're forbidden - in a culture that worships becoming what can be more taboo than stasis?)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I'm making my way through the slog of the slogs, The White-Luck Warrior.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The Great Ordeal, being the first half of the big climactic revelation of the series, left me with more questions than answers, and I just really want to know what Bakker has in store for the last one, because what the gently caress is with that head on a pole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Oh poo poo, the new book has finally been released? Welp I've got something to do for my weekends now!

Also, I've always seen the No-God as a much more philosophical concept made manifest. It is the metaphysical opposite of God, where God is the Logos, the inherent intelligibility and order of the universe. The No-God is chaos, that which is without order, that cannot be comprehended. It's questioning of what it is is because it is the antithesis of the knowable, it literally can't comprehend itself. By powering it up and releasing it they hope to basically undo God itself.

Or it's a giant, confused helicopter.