Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Hulk Krogan posted:

That might legitimately be the first time I've heard "tacky" used as a pejorative for a metal band, or by a metalhead for that matter.

Metal does not know what the word "irony" means, nor should it. :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

OpaqueEcho posted:

Shameless plug for a friends' band, but I wouldn't post it if it weren't able to stand on its own merits. I'd probably describe it as post-thrash/groove. They have a full-length out on 11/30.

http://lostempiresok.bandcamp.com/

You can mark me down as liking this.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Tackiness has no relation to irony, that band in particular doesn't appear to be ironic at all.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Unfortunately bands like Gloryhammer are trying to make ironic power metal a thing, demonstrating a massive misunderstanding of the point of power metal

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

OpaqueEcho posted:

Shameless plug for a friends' band, but I wouldn't post it if it weren't able to stand on its own merits. I'd probably describe it as post-thrash/groove. They have a full-length out on 11/30.

http://lostempiresok.bandcamp.com/

I enjoyed this, and it also got me thinking/reminiscing about the In Flames of yore.

This may be imagetimeline, but why did Gothenburg style melodic death die with old In Flames/At the Gates/Dark Tranquility? I love the Finnish stuff don't get me wrong, but I've spent years trying to find something in the same vein as Colony or Clayman.
Was that style of metal just a product of that time and place? Or did people just get bored and moved on to derivatives such as metal core?

I don't know, but I wish I could find a band that was making songs like Swim or Embody the Invisible now a days. I guess I just find it weird that no one successfully picked up the torch after all these years. Or maybe I've been missing something obvious.

Also I bought that Countless Skies album after another listen. Good stuff.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The main melody from Embody the Invisible sounds like the little network theme you'd hear before college basketball games in the early 90s.

I keep expecting to hear Jim Nantz or Dick Vitale chime in before the first verse.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Durendal posted:

I enjoyed this, and it also got me thinking/reminiscing about the In Flames of yore.

This may be imagetimeline, but why did Gothenburg style melodic death die with old In Flames/At the Gates/Dark Tranquility? I love the Finnish stuff don't get me wrong, but I've spent years trying to find something in the same vein as Colony or Clayman.
Was that style of metal just a product of that time and place? Or did people just get bored and moved on to derivatives such as metal core?

I don't know, but I wish I could find a band that was making songs like Swim or Embody the Invisible now a days. I guess I just find it weird that no one successfully picked up the torch after all these years. Or maybe I've been missing something obvious.

Also I bought that Countless Skies album after another listen. Good stuff.

The bands moved on in other directions, or lost focus.
In Flames decided on a new route, probably mostly decided by Anders Friden (if you have ever heard his soloband Passenger you wouldn't be surprised that they went that way).
Dark Tranquility took one step back after Damage Done and then didn't progress musically in any way. Which is kinda sad, since Damage Done and Projector were both great.
At the Gates decided to quit, and released a new album last year which was good, but hardly a milestone.
Soilwork decided to turn experimental as In Flames, and their latter albums haven't really gripped me.
Mikael Åkerström in Opeth decided to say "take it or leave it" to his fans and went to do progressive music from the 70s. He have explicitly stated in interviews that he doesn't give a poo poo if people want Ghost Reveries v2, cause he is not doing that anymore.
There are a bunch of other bands in the same vein that died out afterwards, where for example The Duskfall is one of my favourites.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The bands had pretty much reached their respective peaks too, I don't think Opeth could top GR even if Mikael wanted to, IF went into a slow but accelerating decline and DT as you said sort of petered out. AtG did the honorable thing and split but then did a few reunion live shows and had too much fun to not give it another go I guess?

Gothenburg death metal had a good run and deserves a dignified retirement.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Guys, I have a 5K coming up and I need to put together the best possible metal running playlist. What should I put on it? High energy, obviously.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Guys, I have a 5K coming up and I need to put together the best possible metal running playlist. What should I put on it? High energy, obviously.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

Unfortunately bands like Gloryhammer are trying to make ironic power metal a thing, demonstrating a massive misunderstanding of the point of power metal

Remember when people thought Andrew WK was being ironic, and then it turned out that, no, he's really like that all the time?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Martout posted:

The bands had pretty much reached their respective peaks too, I don't think Opeth could top GR even if Mikael wanted to, IF went into a slow but accelerating decline and DT as you said sort of petered out. AtG did the honorable thing and split but then did a few reunion live shows and had too much fun to not give it another go I guess?

Gothenburg death metal had a good run and deserves a dignified retirement.

Dark Tranquility apparently has a new record on the way. It has been awhile. The last couple of records had a couple of good songs and then a lot of forgettable ones.

Thread favorite Cirith Ungol also has a new album, where the cover is a classic picture of Elric of Melnibone, which is kinda disturbing if you know your fantasy :v:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
bolt thrower

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

COOL CORN posted:

Curse of the Golden Vampire

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Run to the hills on repeat

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

A bunch of Helloween

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Amon Amarth is pretty awesome for running.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

COOL CORN posted:

I suggest Godsmack, Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, and Ghost.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

DeusExMachinima posted:

I suggest Godsmack, Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, and Ghost.

I just wanna add Mudvayne, Disturbed, Puddle of Mudd, and Deafheaven.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Metallica's "Lulu" on repeat. You get to turn it off when you're done. You'll have a PR and will place top 3.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Metallica's "Lulu" on repeat. You get to turn it off when you're done. You'll have a PR and will place top 3.

drat that's a solid idea...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lulu's kinda turned into R Kelly for me.

No it didn't pee on an underage girl but I started liking it ironically and now I legit just like it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

That's your answer to everything.

In fairness, it's not a wrong answer.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Metallica's "Lulu" on repeat. You get to turn it off when you're done. You'll have a PR and you will be a table.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Bolt Thrower.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

I guess I shouldn't be even a little surprised

:rip: Marduk's visa, apparently.

Sucks, I was looking forward to seeing Rotting Christ and Carach Angren too but I'm getting too old to drive 6 hours for a gig missing its headliner :(

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Semprini posted:

That's your answer to everything.

In fairness, it's not a wrong answer.

im going to be published in academic journal describing the most universally accepted and acknowledged idea

you can drop "bolt thrower" into any discussion anywhere and someone will agree

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you can drop "bolt thrower" into any discussion anywhere and someone will agree

Hm yes I agree with this

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Doctor...h-how long do I have?

:clint:: Bolt Thrower.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTeXBTStek0

Cardiac posted:

Thread favorite Cirith Ungol also has a new album, where the cover is a classic picture of Elric of Melnibone, which is kinda disturbing if you know your fantasy :v:

I think they're just doing an official LP release of Paradise Lost, which is one of their old albums. And all their albums had those Elric pictures on them.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

the yeti posted:

:rip: Marduk's visa, apparently.

Sucks, I was looking forward to seeing Rotting Christ and Carach Angren too but I'm getting too old to drive 6 hours for a gig missing its headliner :(

Rotting Christ were good, but the bill was short a band, for sure.

Odd, how a band that tours here every year couldn't get in this time. Pathetic how our lousy immigration system can probably ruin a band financially for no real reason. Show was still full price in NYC.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Welp, Travis Ryan talked me into buying a limited Brujeria vinyl

I don't even like Brujeria

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Zodijackylite posted:

Rotting Christ were good, but the bill was short a band, for sure.

Odd, how a band that tours here every year couldn't get in this time. Pathetic how our lousy immigration system can probably ruin a band financially for no real reason. Show was still full price in NYC.

I never really know whether to think "the gubmint :bahgawd: " or assume that someone in the band/managment either hosed their applications up or left it til the last minute. I was sure this thread or the BM thread had talked at length about it in the past (maybe even the last time Marduk got held up) but goddamned if I can find the posts.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

i'm listening to sarcofago

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Did y'all know that Blind Guardian crowds are full of drat nerds? Because they totally are.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Shakenbaker posted:

Did y'all know that Blind Guardian crowds are full of drat nerds? Because they totally are.
I can't imagine what could ever make anyone expect otherwise.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Actually, only super buff jocks like me listen to bands who write concept albums about the Silmarillion

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually, only super buff jocks like me listen to bands who write concept albums about the Silmarillion

All the really buff metal dudes are in bestial goat bands