Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Taima posted:

Oh so we're jacking off about pricing?

I traded a friend a pair of headphones and an amp for my watch and one of my best buddies is a manager at Apple corporate so he gave me several hundred dollars worth of Apple bands for free.

Do I win the jackoff game?

e: I have lots of personal experience with the various watch bands if anyone wants a review of one they're thinking of buying.

Hint: The best one is the milanese loop

You're jacking off in the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A bit premature, but I installed os3 earlier today and found something I just cannot figure out.

They added a complication for heart rate, but it's just a stylized icon of a heart which opens the heartbeat app when you tap it. The last reading is not displayed. Why not? Stock complications can display data and still launch an app on a tap, and third party apps can access and display the heart rate measurements in a complication, so what the hell?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm probably going to sell my Watch for $150 and eat the $250 cost to get the Series 2. Kinda bummed that the Watch semi-flopped hard enough for its resale value to be half what I paid for a used one about a year ago.

What's the deets on this one? my idiot bitch gf wants an apple watch but doesn't care about the new one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shillary posted:

Did anyone else try to order the Edition last night? Was it always at 2-4 weeks, now it's at 5-7 :(
Wonder if it's gonna be like space black last year...that took like 2-3 months.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I want more health sensors or the ability to somehow make calls from it when my phone isn't nearby before I upgrade.
You could carry around a portable hotspot! :downs:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A bit premature, but I installed os3 earlier today and found something I just cannot figure out.

They added a complication for heart rate, but it's just a stylized icon of a heart which opens the heartbeat app when you tap it. The last reading is not displayed. Why not? Stock complications can display data and still launch an app on a tap, and third party apps can access and display the heart rate measurements in a complication, so what the hell?
Yeah that bugged me too, just something so obvious. There's a limit on how much complications can update though iirc...but it's not like that has stopped Apple from skirting the rules for their own thing before.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A bunch of people in this thread keep referring to the original Apple Watch as series 1.

It's not. Series 1 doesn't ship for a week. It's also got a dual core processor, like series 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the watch like a Mac where you can buy Applecare after the fact, or do you have to get it at purchase?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm guessing the answer is yes, but is the watch face they showed off for the Nike Watch exclusive to it?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Is the watch like a Mac where you can buy Applecare after the fact, or do you have to get it at purchase?

Yeah I think you have 90 days.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm guessing the answer is yes, but is the watch face they showed off for the Nike Watch exclusive to it?

I believe they said it was during the keynote.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Yeast posted:

A bunch of people in this thread keep referring to the original Apple Watch as series 1.

It's not. Series 1 doesn't ship for a week. It's also got a dual core processor, like series 2.

Yeah, that's the one I pre-ordered this morning. 2016 Series 1. Not a 2015 generation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Hermes and Nike faces are only on those models.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Best Buy has the original sports down to $189 for the 38mm and a little more for the 42mm. So now my wife will have one and I can send her heartbeats and crude dirty sketches.

Is the original still decent or is the dual core pretty much needed for any serious user? I'm debating a new one but the fire sales on the old one could be pretty tempting

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jimong5 posted:

Is the original still decent or is the dual core pretty much needed for any serious user? I'm debating a new one but the fire sales on the old one could be pretty tempting

It can take a while to open things sometimes but it's fine. I need to see some comparison videos to see if the duel core is really worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Honestly no one will really know till the new one comes out and apps start to use the power.

With that said the first one has served me well and I'm sure it will continue to do so for another year.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What's the deets on this one? my idiot bitch gf wants an apple watch but doesn't care about the new one.

I still need to get funds in order since I just dropped money on a new phone. But that's probably what I'll sell it for.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Anyone who has the space gray aluminum, did you regret getting it? I'm waffling on which color of Series 1 to go grab next Friday and I'm curious if there was scratch issues or the color eventually gets to be distracting compared to the more neutral silver.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mo0 posted:

Anyone who has the space gray aluminum, did you regret getting it? I'm waffling on which color of Series 1 to go grab next Friday and I'm curious if there was scratch issues or the color eventually gets to be distracting compared to the more neutral silver.

The black seems more neutral to me than the silver did/does. There are issues with scratches that I can't even explain myself. They aren't scratches, really, but small tiny marks that look like dust. Anyway, I don't know how they got there - I take care of everything I have but here we are. They aren't noticeable on first glance, but you can see them if I tell you where they are.Mind you, over the course of a year, I've gotten 2.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jimong5 posted:

Apps are far more useful on the original with the upcoming OS update. That said, I only have one app that I actually want to use (Bring!) on the watch. What keeps me from using the watch for apps isn't so much the speed of the watch as it is the small screen that makes interfacing so tedious.

If I were a runner the new one might appeal to me, but while it would be nice to have a faster processor on general principle, I don't see it affecting my use of the watch at all.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Has anyone tried any of the knockoff nylon bands on Amazon? A lot of them seem to have decent reviews from people receiving discounted samples, alongside pics of other people saying they fell apart in a week. Any suggestions?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly no one will really know till the new one comes out and apps start to use the power.

With that said the first one has served me well and I'm sure it will continue to do so for another year.

For me at least it depends on whether the new watchOS actually changed the watch from being mostly a way to get notifications on my wrist to having apps that I want to use on the watch itself where I may want the additional processing power in addition to whatever optimizations they've added in the OS. The only real thing of interest for me is the new faster processor; I don't need the GPS, I already treat the watch as waterproof for shower and similar purposes, and it's not rated for actual scuba-diving which is the swimming I tend to do (plus I already have a huge-rear end wrist-mounted diving computer that'll tell me the time plus depth, tank pressure and other things I need to know).

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

For me at least it depends on whether the new watchOS actually changed the watch from being mostly a way to get notifications on my wrist to having apps that I want to use on the watch itself where I may want the additional processing power in addition to whatever optimizations they've added in the OS. The only real thing of interest for me is the new faster processor; I don't need the GPS, I already treat the watch as waterproof for shower and similar purposes, and it's not rated for actual scuba-diving which is the swimming I tend to do (plus I already have a huge-rear end wrist-mounted diving computer that'll tell me the time plus depth, tank pressure and other things I need to know).

I kind of had the same thinking, I was considering a first gen a few months ago but decided to wait for the refresh. I also remember my friend's iPad 1 had a really short life because the quality of iPads ramped up so quickly that it was left behind and ran really poorly after a year or two.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Jimong5 posted:

I kind of had the same thinking, I was considering a first gen a few months ago but decided to wait for the refresh. I also remember my friend's iPad 1 had a really short life because the quality of iPads ramped up so quickly that it was left behind and ran really poorly after a year or two.

This is my only real concern after purchasing the original yesterday. That said, once WatchOS 3 drops and I have a look, I'll know better if I want to keep it. Regardless, I think I can get two years out of this one which isn't bad for $220 plus tax.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having issues installing the WatchOS 3 beta. I have iOS 10.0.1 on my phone and the beta profile installed on the watch, but it says 2.2.2 is up to date.

I've tried:
- wifi on and off and vpn
- restart both devices
- unpair and restore watch

Nothing seems to work and I can't find any other suggestions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm having issues installing the WatchOS 3 beta. I have iOS 10.0.1 on my phone and the beta profile installed on the watch, but it says 2.2.2 is up to date.

I've tried:
- wifi on and off and vpn
- restart both devices
- unpair and restore watch

Nothing seems to work and I can't find any other suggestions.

Do you have the watch beta profile installed or the ios beta profile installed on the watch? For some reason, you can install the ios beta profile to your watch but it won't accomplish anything.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have the watch beta profile installed or the ios beta profile installed on the watch? For some reason, you can install the ios beta profile to your watch but it won't accomplish anything.

Oh so when the pop up asks which device to install it on selecting the watch doesn't actually install a valid profile to the watch?

Is there a non- :files: way to get the beta without a dev account?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jealous Cow posted:

Oh so when the pop up asks which device to install it on selecting the watch doesn't actually install a valid profile to the watch?

Is there a non- :files: way to get the beta without a dev account?

No because there is no public beta for the Watch and for very good reason. It sounds like you don't have the watch beta profile installed to the watch. It's pretty easy to find.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's literally a link to a link a page or two back in this thread. It works fine and it's signed by Apple and everything, so there shouldn't be any worries of malware getting installed.

Do be aware that the upgrade takes a loooooong time, so do it before going to bed or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah it was probably 100-120 minutes all told for me.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

AdmiralViscen posted:

Has anyone tried any of the knockoff nylon bands on Amazon? A lot of them seem to have decent reviews from people receiving discounted samples, alongside pics of other people saying they fell apart in a week. Any suggestions?

The nylon bands from Clockwork Synergy are real nice, I got a purple one a couple of months ago and I'm going to order a black and red one when payday comes. Worth a look if you don't want to spin the Amazon quality roulette wheel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm really enjoying watchOS 3. Took a bit to get my bearings with the dock and the new apps but it really does feel more snappy and responsive. Reminders now having an app really kicks rear end since I use it with Siri for groceries all the time.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
How do I get watchOS3? I only just got the watch recently, so I don't know how updates and poo poo work.

-e- Oh I see it's not actually out yet.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 11, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Leif. posted:

How do I get watchOS3? I only just got the watch recently, so I don't know how updates and poo poo work.

-e- Oh I see it's not actually out yet.

You can get the GM now if you install the beta profile which is pretty easy to find on Google. It comes out officially in 2 days if you don't want to bother with that though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Friendly reminder given new data, the Apple Watch has made more money in three quarters of a year than Tesla made last year.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
"It's a flop" from every clickbait bitchmade website

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

jackhunter64 posted:

The nylon bands from Clockwork Synergy are real nice, I got a purple one a couple of months ago and I'm going to order a black and red one when payday comes. Worth a look if you don't want to spin the Amazon quality roulette wheel.

Looks good, thanks!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can get the GM now if you install the beta profile which is pretty easy to find on Google. It comes out officially in 2 days if you don't want to bother with that though.

Yeah I'll just wait till the official one comes out. Sounds like I'll get a notification on my watch or phone that it's been released OTA, yes?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yes but not necessarily right away. If it's the 13th already and you haven't gotten it check manually.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Stupid question: is the charger its own thing, or does a lightning cable plug into it?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The non-circle end of it is a USB, you could either plug it directly into a device or into an AC adapter.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Leif. posted:

The non-circle end of it is a USB, you could either plug it directly into a device or into an AC adapter.

Does it come with an AC adapter brick as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bilperkins2 posted:

Does it come with an AC adapter brick as well?
Did you know? If you go to the Apple website and go to order a product it will tell you what comes in the box!

• Locked thread