Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Zanziabar posted:

This is exactly my point. What kind of insane bullshit do you need to pull off to get a mastery in this tank?
On a slightly related note, I'm fairly certain I already have a mastery with the T-54 but outside of this tank, I can't think of any tanks outside the tier 9 & 10 Czech and the E5 (maybe?) that you wouldn't get a mastery with 5k damage.

You can get get mastery with 5k damage, but not a chance without some kills. Kills have lots of xp weight. I'm fairly certain I've had 7k+ damage games where I didn't get ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Hellsau posted:

You probably deserved it for playing World of Tanks. I was just trying to warn you away.

You were in a T-34 with a 57mm. Your "warning" finger must have slipped a few times. I apparently never got the hint, though.

In retrospect it's probably the most hilarious thing that has ever happened to me in WOT, because I had no idea who the gently caress you were at the time. I googled you and found out you were a goon. Blew my mind. This was, of course, like 3 years ago.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

(that's the amount of hits and the damage blocked by my armour, btw)

AT-8 giveth, AT-8 taketh away. Was soloing the hill on encounter Himmelsdorf when that Matilda came around a corner and got my rear. Managed to push him against the castle, semi-flip him over and finish him off - but not before he took half my health and, worse, my engine. Have you ever played an AT-8 without an engine before? My god. By then my entire team was dead and I trundled off towards the cap. Just me vs that Skoda T40, the AMX 105 AM and the StuG III G. All full health. I run into the Skoda and the AMX at the same time - the Skoda in front of me, the AMX down a side street. The AMX keeps tracking me and I can't clear the street because I'm so goddamn slow. I manage to finally take out the Skoda, but not before he took out my gun. I then run into the StuG and got him down to a single shot when... he shot my gun again and I couldn't pull the trigger. He then kept tracking me and the AMX casually drove up to my side and shotgunned me.

Poor ol' AT-8. Too beautiful for this world.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Zanziabar posted:

This is exactly my point. What kind of insane bullshit do you need to pull off to get a mastery in this tank?
On a slightly related note, I'm fairly certain I already have a mastery with the T-54 but outside of this tank, I can't think of any tanks outside the tier 9 & 10 Czech and the E5 (maybe?) that you wouldn't get a mastery with 5k damage.

You more or less have to carry your team to victory on your shoulders, also you have to be a game with a lot of tier 10's to help pad the XP. It was also easier in the days of the super HEAT rounds on it and gleefully penning anything from any angle.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Anyone else get asked to complete the "World of Tanks visual style survey"?

The image below is one of the directions they're considering:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

McGavin posted:

On the plus side, if half of the playerbase is playing one-handed, they'll be easier to kill. On the minus side, the one-handers will likely all be on *your* team.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I am slightly horrified that at least one person at Wargaming is taking my TanKolle suggestion seriously.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

McGavin posted:

I am slightly horrified that at least one person at Wargaming is taking my TanKolle suggestion seriously.

Why on earth would you do that? :wtc:

Also, can I get a link to your modpack? I looked for it but I must have missed it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

subhelios posted:

Why on earth would you do that? :wtc:

Also, can I get a link to your modpack? I looked for it but I must have missed it.

Think about how many Wehraboos there are. It would be pretty much a license to print money.

Regarding the modpack, 9.15 broke everything enough for many of the people maintaining the individual mods to say "gently caress this noise, I'm out," (RIP J1mb0's and XVM map mods) so it was initially missing a large amount of functionality. People eventually started releasing updated mods, so I finally got it cobbled together enough to consider releasing it around last weekend, but I was busy moving and don't have internet at my new place yet. I probably won't be able to get anything done this weekend due to other commitments, but I might be able to get it done by the weekend after. Maybe XVM will have their map poo poo fixed by then (haha not likely).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

9.16 test is up but don't waste your time, they didn't bother adding the only interesting thing, Strv m/42-57 Alt A2, to the in-game store so no one can actually try it.

i also haven't played the redone paris map but i still feel confident in calling it really bad

oh and they added an in-game tank comparison tool but since several stats are still missing, most importantly passability and bloom, it's largely worthless.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/9-16-public-test/

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Prav posted:

oh and they added an in-game tank comparison tool but since several stats are still missing, most importantly passability and bloom, it's largely worthless.
Not to mention that for example the track traverse speed listed in the Mobility section is still grossly misleading/just flat out wrong, because it's calculated based on the stock engine.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't understand this photo.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
We should respond with tasteful images of engorged emormous phalluses mounted on chrome wheels.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

BadLlama posted:

You're not the only one

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

We should respond with tasteful images of engorged emormous phalluses mounted on chrome wheels.

I have a copy of the GiP dick book, let me see if there's any tracked dongs in there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BadLlama posted:

It's like this:

but with tanks instead of ships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

McGavin posted:

Replace the tank with a Tiger and the anime girl with Michael Wittmann in the same outfit, and I would play the gently caress out of world of tanks (as a Sherman).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Replace the tank with a Tiger and the anime girl with Michael Wittmann in the same outfit, and I would play the gently caress out of world of tanks (as a Sherman).

So you've got a thing for shooting your load all over German fascias?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

This was the first tank Hellsau ever TKed me in.

It's hard because it's huge; if it was a normal size tank it would be average with a decent gun for tier 4. The huge is a problem because it's also kind of fast, which means you get Hellcat syndrome while driving it. Your armor doesn't bounce poo poo, you can't turn for poo poo, and you're really not accurate enough to play as a retarded sniper. On top of that, tier 4 is terrible to play in unless you are in one of the OP tier 4 tanks.

So...don't feel too bad about it. It's like the M3 Lee in that some folks say "It's great if [X]," where [X] is something a new player wouldn't know crap about. The only advice I can give is a) don't go anywhere alone / don't make yourself a target; b) stay in low ground if possible; c) don't think that it's a heavy just because it looks like it should be; and d) never look back once you get the KV1, because at that point you are about to enter the "golden phase" about learning real things about World of Tanks that will actually help you play better and make perfect sense at the same time. Other than that just blow through that poo poo and come back to it in another 1,000 games and realize it was actually not such a bad tank.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I bought the first 57mm yesterday (it was only like 550xp) and played way differently than normal - mobile back line sniper type. It felt a little bit better but I still want to get through it as quick as possible. Should probably just use 2k of free experience to get to the KV-1 and try and forget this tank ever happened.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Barry posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice. I bought the first 57mm yesterday (it was only like 550xp) and played way differently than normal - mobile back line sniper type. It felt a little bit better but I still want to get through it as quick as possible. Should probably just use 2k of free experience to get to the KV-1 and try and forget this tank ever happened.

Well, unless you really hate it, you shouldn't do that. Free exp should never be used to unlock the next tank, unless you REALLY loving hate the current tank (or you're richy mcmoneybags and you just blow oodles of cash on gold to get more free exp). When you get the next tank, it'll be stock. Stock tanks are mostly crap. Or at least pretty crap compared to fully upgraded. Blow the free exp on getting some upgrades instead, so you won't have to play a stock tank. A kinda sucky but fully upgraded tank may very well be better than the next tank in line when it's completely stock.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

McGavin posted:

Think about how many Wehraboos there are. It would be pretty much a license to print money.

Regarding the modpack, 9.15 broke everything enough for many of the people maintaining the individual mods to say "gently caress this noise, I'm out," (RIP J1mb0's and XVM map mods) so it was initially missing a large amount of functionality. People eventually started releasing updated mods, so I finally got it cobbled together enough to consider releasing it around last weekend, but I was busy moving and don't have internet at my new place yet. I probably won't be able to get anything done this weekend due to other commitments, but I might be able to get it done by the weekend after. Maybe XVM will have their map poo poo fixed by then (haha not likely).

Well poo poo. I knew about some of that but I hadn't heard about J1mb0's (gently caress!), nor about the fact that XVM's map poo poo was broken. Or that the next test is already upon us. I picked the worst loving time to come back to tanks I think.

E: Well poo poo guess I better use OMC or whatever (ugh) until that gets worked out, if it ever does.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
On the other hand, in the next update WG are again introducing a bunch of previously mod features into the game: double row tank carousel, in-battle damage logs, and maybe there was something else too that I'm forgetting.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Nordick posted:

On the other hand, in the next update WG are again introducing a bunch of previously mod features into the game: double row tank carousel, in-battle damage logs, and maybe there was something else too that I'm forgetting.

Hopefully their previewed render changes will actually make it into the game, because if there was a mod that could actually let you do this it would be the most advantageous cheat I could imagine.

also please wargaming, put a goddamn checkbox to remove the stupid fog into the graphics settings.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Valle posted:

Well, unless you really hate it, you shouldn't do that. Free exp should never be used to unlock the next tank, unless you REALLY loving hate the current tank (or you're richy mcmoneybags and you just blow oodles of cash on gold to get more free exp). When you get the next tank, it'll be stock. Stock tanks are mostly crap. Or at least pretty crap compared to fully upgraded. Blow the free exp on getting some upgrades instead, so you won't have to play a stock tank. A kinda sucky but fully upgraded tank may very well be better than the next tank in line when it's completely stock.

I kind of am really sick of playing it but you're right. I have about 15k free exp (which I realize is peanuts in the grand scheme of things but seems like a lot at this point) so I don't mind throwing a little around to increase my QOL. I've always been the type that finishes a game with like 99 of every consumable so I have a feeling that unless I actually act upon my desire to use free xp when it comes up I'll just save and save and save until the cows come home.

The only thing I tend to find painful about new tanks is crews, not the gear. I think it's mostly that I don't know what I'm missing.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Hopefully their previewed render changes will actually make it into the game, because if there was a mod that could actually let you do this it would be the most advantageous cheat I could imagine.

also please wargaming, put a goddamn checkbox to remove the stupid fog into the graphics settings.

Tundra mod is the most advantageous cheat mod.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Have you tried Max Farplane? I've heard it can drop your framerate, but I never noticed it when I used it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Have you tried Max Farplane? I've heard it can drop your framerate, but I never noticed it when I used it.

Yes, I use it and have no problems. There's no reason for that to require a mod. Playing unmodded and getting Winterburg, the loving fog is ridiculous looking into the city from the east, and I don't feel like pixel hunting for outlines especially given the terribly choppy movements of enemy tanks at range.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tell me about it. This is the one game I play with minimal graphics settings because trying to hit a tank in a dust cloud in the fog with the game's dispersion mechanics is about as fun as punching myself in the dick.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JohnGalt posted:

Also, my stat padding account is priestofstats@gmail.com

Password: 0drowssap0

(I made it easy for you fuckers)

Johngalt cobra commander is

Elliotkim@vzw.blackberry.net

Password: 0FuckOff0

Get hosed pubbies. This game sucks and I came out net positive cash flow. My only regret is not min/maxing cash flow which is the only stat anyone should care about.

If kingpengiun doesn't give me my money back il post JT 88 codes here too.

Yo JG I found this, can you retrieve your accounts?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

I bought the T-54 since that line is the On-Track event, and I think I'm in love. It is just great.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

subhelios posted:

I bought the T-54 since that line is the On-Track event, and I think I'm in love. It is just great.

It's effectively a T9.5 - the fact that it leads to two good T10 mediums is just gravy. Back in ~the old days~, running with HEAT rounds made you feel like you were packing a laser up top.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I saw there's some Wotld of Tanks model kits that come with a ton of game bonuses, and i was wondering if the exclusive premium tanks are at all worth the price of the kits or not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

I saw there's some Wotld of Tanks model kits that come with a ton of game bonuses, and i was wondering if the exclusive premium tanks are at all worth the price of the kits or not.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/italeri-models/

Nothing to write home about.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Every time I see the goofball they always have on the starter/update app, I think "Jewish vampire"

(not anti-semitic)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Non-controversial opinion: the Tiger I is a ridiculously good tank and the wehraboos that can't be arsed to play it correctly have nothing to whine about.

Seriously I'm averaging 1300 damage a game and that's considering I did the stock grind of most of the modules. If I don't get say...full penned by an O-I snapshotting with AP or a tier 9 TD/arty dunking me Its almost hard not to get 2k damage.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 11, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Colon Semicolon posted:

There are other older codes you can get from model kits (not WoT branded, there's just a sticker on the box), but they are basically old bundles you could/still can buy at the store. I bought a ~$15 figure kit a few years back and received a T2 LT with a garage slot, some gold, and some premium time.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Nordick posted:

I'm betting WG is doing this because players are leaving. They probably see some significant player attrition, especially amongst the more competent players, every time a patch comes out and they've probably, after many years, figured out slowly that their mods are breaking and they're just not bothering to come back. Sure most players don't use mods, but the flip side of this is the features that some players will not play without become standard and inexperienced players can use them and might stay longer.

This after years and years of "the game is fine, you don't need mods" and insulting people who complain when WG's random 1MB do-nothing patches break their mods. Also blaming mods for every single crash, even when users don't have mods.

Hell with the changes they've made recently the game is just barely playable without mods. The big one was finally adding a checkbox replacing the NoScroll mod completely, which was the most obvious and simple change that they had to have been avoiding purely out of spite towards their players.

e: The only two mods that make a difference to the gameplay (XVM still useful for stats and a carousel with more than two rows) are autoaim snapping and battle assistant. Those two should just be made part of the base game because right now they're too valuable to play without but they're also not banned. WG has come out and said they're both allowed, which is a bit weird because I think they're clearly the most advantageous mods that aren't banned like Tundra. At least with Tundra WG can say you're breaking the rules if you use it.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 10, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Non-controversial opinion: the Tiger I is a ridiculously good tank and the wehraboos that can't be arsed to play it correctly have nothing to whine about.

Seriously I'm averaging 1300 damage a game and that's considering I did the stock grind of most of the modules. If I don't get say...full penned by an O-I snapshotting with AP or a tier 9 TD/arty dunking me Its a lost hard not to get 2k damage.

No poo poo. Wehraboos complain when German tanks are merely the best tank at their tier, rather than being substantially better than higher tier tanks, or beating up on tanks three tiers below them, where's the fuckin' historical accuracy Wargaming?!~

The Tiger was an adequate sniper tank, then it was overbuffed to have an incredible HP pool and DPM and gun stats in exchange for mediocre speed and armor. It is very difficult to put your Tiger into a situation where you can't just put your head down, hold left click and play the easy way by draining the opponent's HP before your own runs out. Sure, that won't actually be the best play very often, but if the goddamn pubbies would just sit there, hold left click on some enemy and shoot it repeatedly, the playerbase would improve by leaps and bounds.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Desuwa posted:

I'm betting WG is doing this because players are leaving. They probably see some significant player attrition, especially amongst the more competent players, every time a patch comes out and they've probably, after many years, figured out slowly that their mods are breaking and they're just not bothering to come back. Sure most players don't use mods, but the flip side of this is the features that some players will not play without become standard and inexperienced players can use them and might stay longer.

This after years and years of "the game is fine, you don't need mods" and insulting people who complain when WG's random 1MB do-nothing patches break their mods. Also blaming mods for every single crash, even when users don't have mods.

Hell with the changes they've made recently the game is just barely playable without mods. The big one was finally adding a checkbox replacing the NoScroll mod completely, which was the most obvious and simple change that they had to have been avoiding purely out of spite towards their players.

e: The only two mods that make a difference to the gameplay (XVM still useful for stats and a carousel with more than two rows) are autoaim snapping and battle assistant. Those two should just be made part of the base game because right now they're too valuable to play without but they're also not banned. WG has come out and said they're both allowed, which is a bit weird because I think they're clearly the most advantageous mods that aren't banned like Tundra. At least with Tundra WG can say you're breaking the rules if you use it.

The mod situation isn't helping, but I know the primary reason I stopped playing is they more or less stopped working on the game. Still waiting on them to make 6th sense a baseline ability, they haven't done the skill rework and the only new content has been the mediocre Czech tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hi! Looking for excuses here! At what ping does the game become noncompetitive/unplayable? Asking for a friend...