Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheCenturion posted:

I have this problem with a lot of open world games; so much sidetracking, and you lose the cohesion of the story.

That's why Witcher 3 works so well, because it puts as much effort into its side quests as its main quests, so going off the beaten path is very rewarding. Plus it's main quest is mostly an investigation, so you can go at your own pace, and only pushes into high speed urgency when the story calls for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Witcher 3 is hors concours and shouldn't be nowhere near a DA:I comparison for the sake of not tearing the poo poo out of it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What is it with Bioware and green these days? I swear the Andromeda footage looks to be attempting to out green Inquisition at this rate.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Mass effect primarily used red and blue, using green only for prothean and leviathans. I believe the green in Andromeda is supposed to convey the advanced but dead past of the remnant or whatever they called them in the trailer.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Looks like Synthesis is canon. :shepface:
Inquisition was the greenest game I've seen in a long time. Lots of blue as well.

But Bioware wasn't always blue before, either. Mass Effect 2 was very orange and red. And Dragon Age 2 was brown.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In...several ways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BrianWilly posted:

In...several ways.

:golfclap:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, I was implying such.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pryce posted:

I think the whole point of establishing the game in a new galaxy was so they could avoid having to import a game state. Andromeda is completely disconnected from everything we've seen previously (intentionally), and I bet that saves an insane amount of backward-bending to make sure this fits "your" galaxy from the original trilogy.

I have no problem with this, honestly. Starting fresh sounds great at this point.

"Captain, we just saw a tiny pin-prick of light from the old galaxy. It was blue/red/green. Oh well no big deal go plant a flag on that Uranium mine."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Vitamin P posted:

"Captain, we just saw a tiny pin-prick of light from the old galaxy. It was blue/red/green. Oh well no big deal go plant a flag on that Uranium mine."

Sure they would see that... in 2.5 million years :science:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Axe-man posted:

Sure they would see that... in 2.5 million years :science:

Should be red shifted too, right?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

mastajake posted:

Should be red shifted too, right?

Blue shifted as we are crashing into Andromeda! :monocle: Control is the one true choice my god!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I'm fine with them distancing themselves from the ending's consequences by moving to a new galaxy and jumping 200-500 years in the future, but I'd like them to at least acknowledge what happened. And retcon it, if need be. Seriously, just pick a canon ending. I don't see why that would be such a big deal if they're already ignoring players' ending choices. It would be better to just decide on a canon ending than awkwardly sidestepping that poo poo. And hey, that would give them more opportunity to make spin-offs based on the other endings, like the Drakengard/Nier series.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Beefstew posted:

I'm fine with them distancing themselves from the ending's consequences by moving to a new galaxy and jumping 200-500 years in the future, but I'd like them to at least acknowledge what happened. And retcon it, if need be. Seriously, just pick a canon ending. I don't see why that would be such a big deal if they're already ignoring players' ending choices. It would be better to just decide on a canon ending than awkwardly sidestepping that poo poo. And hey, that would give them more opportunity to make spin-offs based on the other endings, like the Drakengard/Nier series.
While I think Control would make for the most interesting canon Destroy is the only one that makes sense. Built-in reboot of the game universe (Reapers are dead, now we can do whatever) and you can resurrect Shep without people freaking out since she already survived if you had enough war assets. I think after MEA they could do it without too many people making GBS threads themselves, especially if it isn't as good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I prefer "sidestepping". Screw "canon endings". If it doesn't matter to the new story, then it doesn't matter. Anyone who is nerdy enough to care about this is nerdy enough to make a head-canon. There, everybody wins.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Beefstew posted:

My guess is the reason we're going to a new galaxy is because the ark ships leave at the start of the Reaper war. There's no way BioWare will make a canon ending, especially after all of their talk of artistic vision/refusing to rewrite or add more endings. The EC wasn't a new ending, it was clarification of the existing endings. If they have the players loving off to a new galaxy to avoid dealing with ME3's ending, why would they have anything in there at all? For all we know, refuse is the canon ending and MEA is all that's left of humanity and all the rest.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

wookieepelt posted:

My guess is the reason we're going to a new galaxy is because the ark ships leave at the start of the Reaper war. There's no way BioWare will make a canon ending, especially after all of their talk of artistic vision/refusing to rewrite or add more endings. The EC wasn't a new ending, it was clarification of the existing endings. If they have the players loving off to a new galaxy to avoid dealing with ME3's ending, why would they have anything in there at all? For all we know, refuse is the canon ending and MEA is all that's left of humanity and all the rest.

if it's at the start of the Reaper War there's likely no Quarians and definitely no Batarians or Geth in the arks

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

if it's at the start of the Reaper War there's likely no Quarians and definitely no Batarians or Geth in the arks

I'm OK with that. We still have the Krogans, Turians, Salarians and Humans. And I guess the Asari . Maybe they'll have left after Thessia, since it seems like that's when the galaxy is at the weakest. Garrus told the primarch that they should save the fleets for an assault on earth, the Geth/Quarian bullshit is resolved one way or another but 3/4 of the council homeworlds are under Reaper control. That seems as good a time as any to launch plan b.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Well, that's one way to tiptoe around the genophage cure.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

wookieepelt posted:

I'm OK with that. We still have the Krogans, Turians, Salarians and Humans. And I guess the Asari . Maybe they'll have left after Thessia, since it seems like that's when the galaxy is at the weakest. Garrus told the primarch that they should save the fleets for an assault on earth, the Geth/Quarian bullshit is resolved one way or another but 3/4 of the council homeworlds are under Reaper control. That seems as good a time as any to launch plan b.

Yeah I mean likely Bioware would just say "the Arks were constructed in secret and launched immediately after the fleets attacked Earth" so they could include all the things that nerds recognize

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Mass Effect books and comics go out of their way to avoid referencing and contradicting player choices (as opposed to Dragon Age, which has an entire comic series starring Alistair as the king of Ferelden), it would make sense for this game to avoid canonising one of the endings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Why no Quarians? They're the only ones with experience building garden ships.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Why no Quarians? They're the only ones with experience building garden ships.

They're fighting the Geth at the start of the Reaper war.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

wookieepelt posted:

Good riddance. They're the worst.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

denimgorilla posted:

Kal Reeger was cool. They weren't bad once you got them to stop doing genocide. No way Bioware would anger the Talimancers so. I guarantee those guys haven't lessened in their loud obsessiveness for waifus. I would rather have a Geth robot pal any day. As far as Canon goes: destroy would be easiest. Hell have the peace between Geth and Quarian before the destroy ending the canon as well. Quarians feel guilty after regaining their homeworld so decide to try and recreate the Geth. That goes as badly/successfully as one would expect and now you got new enigmatic AI races that could becoming either friendly or antagonist factions later.

Basically I want a robot pal.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Von_Doom posted:

Basically I want a robot pal.
It's a whole new galaxy. There's penty of room to discover a new, wacky, street-smart, slam-dancing buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8EMVurbrM&t=3s

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's a whole new galaxy. There's penty of room to discover a new, wacky, street-smart, slam-dancing buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8EMVurbrM&t=3s

That is acceptable but I'd rather have HK47 or Soviet Iron Giant. I saw that movie as a kid and I would so toss all my monies at a game if it let me have a giant robot pal (prefrably with giant Megatron arm cannon) that was a combination of pal and ride. ALL MY MONEY! Never understood why there wasn't an RPG mech game where the mech had an AI that you could program/choose from some templates. I would choose Mecha Stalin every time. During combat it would shout out ultra patriotic slogans (I'm Russian but would rather have pro-Soviet than pro Oligarch, ROC and Adidas) like Fallout 3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would be shocked if there weren't another "race" of robots in Andromeda.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Not for the entire time frame that the construction project would've required.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

It's possible that construction on the Arks might have started immediately after ME1

I do know that the Asari councillor does mention "continuity of civilization" plans right after Thessia in ME3, so that might be when they launch

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

No, but until you resolve the Rannoch situation all Quarians are going to be busy prepping for the war against the Geth, which is why Tali doesn't join your team until then. And if the arks launched after Thessia they'd probably be too busy to hitch a ride with the Turians to a new galaxy because they just got their home back in this one. If getting their home back is more important than fighting the reapers I don't see them packing up and moving to a new galaxy. I would be really surprised if Quarians or Geth are in MEA

denimgorilla posted:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Von_Doom posted:

That is acceptable but I'd rather have HK47 or Soviet Iron Giant. I saw that movie as a kid and I would so toss all my monies at a game if it let me have a giant robot pal (prefrably with giant Megatron arm cannon) that was a combination of pal and ride. ALL MY MONEY! Never understood why there wasn't an RPG mech game where the mech had an AI that you could program/choose from some templates. I would choose Mecha Stalin every time. During combat it would shout out ultra patriotic slogans (I'm Russian but would rather have pro-Soviet than pro Oligarch, ROC and Adidas) like Fallout 3.

:chloe:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There's going to be quarians and geth on the Arks. It's Bioware. Can you imagine the backlash if they didn't include two of the most popular races?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

No, but until you resolve the Rannoch situation all Quarians are going to be busy prepping for the war against the Geth, which is why Tali doesn't join your team until then. And if the arks launched after Thessia they'd probably be too busy to hitch a ride with the Turians to a new galaxy because they just got their home back in this one. If getting their home back is more important than fighting the reapers I don't see them packing up and moving to a new galaxy. I would be really surprised if Quarians or Geth are in MEA

The Quarians, more than any of the other races, have not been portrayed as a monolithic entity. I guarantee you there will be at least one Quarian character. Whether its someone stranded on their pilgrimage or entire ships worth of NPCs remains to be seen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Of course there will a quarian or two. My guess for geth is that one will sneak its way along.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We don't even know when the ark ships launched, or if there is was only one. Who knows? Maybe it launched when Thessia fell and it seemed like defeat was inevitable.

That would raise some questions (to be addressed in the codex) but it would also allow for all the relevant races to be packed in there.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm wondering with it being the so far in the future and in a different universe that really the only choice that would hold any significance is the destroy/control ending. They might just ask you what happened in a beginning tutorial like Witcher 3.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Or the beginning of ME2. Or KOTOR2 for that matter. Really, though, just ignore it.

Stick them in cryosleep and launch. They wake up a galaxy over and have no idea what ever happened back in the old Milky Way.

Thousands of years later, their descendants, after generations of bitter war with a race of genocidal synthetics, travel back in time to create the Reapers as a guardian against the rise of Artifical life. The programming is sabotaged by a member of The Cult of The Shepard, a fanatical apocalyptic religion.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Lycus posted:

I prefer "sidestepping". Screw "canon endings". If it doesn't matter to the new story, then it doesn't matter. Anyone who is nerdy enough to care about this is nerdy enough to make a head-canon. There, everybody wins.

Mass Effect 3 never happened. It's a simulation that's being run at Pinnacle Station to train Alliance personnel to prepare them for a future Reaper War, which Shepard delayed fifty years when she smoked that Batarian system. Sometimes Shepard takes a run through the program when in the system staying at her retirement house on space Arizona.

There, fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

rocket_350 posted:

Mass Effect 3 never happened. It's a simulation that's being run at Pinnacle Station to train Alliance personnel to prepare them for a future Reaper War, which Shepard delayed fifty years when she smoked that Batarian system. Sometimes Shepard takes a run through the program when in the system staying at her retirement house on space Arizona.

There, fixed.

Ha, make the choices from ME1 and ME2 sort of be like easy/hard starter settings from Oregon Trail and you've just solved the whole ME3 "end of the universe" plot-hole for a ME4.

• Locked thread