Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Kinda but not, it is not just garlic pepper. It is dried garlic in actual chunks and black peppercorn pieces. Not finely ground.
It is great on fries, mashed potatoes and meat. But you don't use it too liberally, it is seriously strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Would this device make a useful poor man's sous vide machine? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H5V8RG?ref_=pe_623860_70668520

I asked a question about the temperature and the manufacturer answered:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

in the beginning of the thread there were cheap diy. In short no, you'd still need a pid and 20oz is small.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Would this device make a useful poor man's sous vide machine? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H5V8RG?ref_=pe_623860_70668520

I asked a question about the temperature and the manufacturer answered:

If you're only ever going to cook things to 165°

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

If you're only ever going to cook things to 165°

Also, the new "small" container I got for my sv rig (which isn't big enough for everything I do sous vide), is 384 ounces.

At 20oz and 165 degrees fixed, you might be able to sous vide a rib.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Was thinking about eggs, got an idea, anyone tried something like this?

Heat water to useful temp for smooshy egg yolks. Pop egg yolks directly into water instead of inside an egg (not recommended with circulators running, obv). After X minutes, scoop yolks.

This should give a lovely yellow yolk instead of having to break the egg and scoop the yolk out of the half-curdled white. Then use the yolk on top of asparagus or whatever. "Deconstructed bearnaise" would be fun, put a big slice of tarragon butter on top of steak, egg yolk on top of that. Or smooshy egg with some caviar or roe on blinis would be pretty swank.

Postponed the creme brulee test, but tried this just now. Deconstructed hollandaise, a sous vide egg yolk, a chunk of butter and some lemon on poached fish. Nice in theory, not so nice in practice. But a sous vide quail's egg yolk with a pinch of a salt, that's something else.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

At 20oz and 165 degrees fixed, you might be able to sous vide a rib.

8And God said Thou shalt be rewarded for thy faith, and thy hunger abated, and the rib became whole. From snout to hoof it became whole. 9Adam saw that it was pleasing to the eye and remained tender, with lucious fruit placed between the teeth.

10And God said, This I have created for you. Eat of the flesh, and of the juices of the flesh, for they are righteous and pure, but do not eat of the apple of the mouth, for it is the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, and surely you will be damned to the saltiest of miseries.

11And the Lord left Adam, and Adam's hunger grew. The meat of the rib was pleasing to his eye, but also was the apple. Now the crafty serpent appeared, flicking its tongue and whispering Lopezzzzzzzzzz with each breath. 12And the serpent said to Adam, Surely God did not mean for you to ignore such pleasing fruit. Did not the Lord promise knowledge? Does not salt bring out flavor?

13And Adam remembered that the serpent's words had led him to cook the first rib, of which the Lord God approved. And Adam was tempted by the fruit, and by the serpent's tongue, and so he ate of the apple. 14And his tongue was made sensitive. Adam desired to eat of the rib, but the salt upon it was overwhelming.

15And the Lord said, I see my mistake. I should not have protected Adam by hiding the salt from him. I should have created Adam a partner, one who could bluntly warn him his chosen recipe needed less salt, and perhaps more salad greens lest he die of a heart attack before the grandkids get to meet him.

16And the Lord wiped out his creation, land and sea He wiped out, man and animal He removed, all until even the light was gone, so that He could begin anew. 17And God said, This time, I'm sure everything will go smoothly.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 10, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna do tenderloin steaks with bernaise tonight. What's your go to temp for medium rare beef tenderloin?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gonna do tenderloin steaks with bernaise tonight. What's your go to temp for medium rare beef tenderloin?

128 for 45-90.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 11, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I usually do 130 for 45-60 or a bit longer depending on thickness

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Tenderloin should be really rare. I normally go 52C for strip steaks, I'd try 51 for a filet.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Dear goons, Pork tenderloin 130 or 135?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

I personally wouldn't go below 140. I know some do, but you're gonna get translucent pink at that temp with pork I believe and that's not a pleasant texture IMO.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Serious eats says to do it at 130. Some goons said it was good. That's why I'm asking.

Anova website has some at 135.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bum the Sad posted:

quoting myself from earlier itt

Jose posted:

Did kenji's 130f pork tenderloin and then used the bag juice/butter/cream/white wine/red onion for a sauce

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose posted:

quoting myself from earlier itt

Oh poo poo. That looks perfect.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that had 5-6 minutes of searing fwiw as not enough temp to get a better crust

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
gently caress yeah gonna sous vide so hard

Jose posted:

that had 5-6 minutes of searing fwiw as not enough temp to get a better crust

Err him so should I do 135 and a proper sear?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd follow kenji's instructions because it worked for me but i'd have more pink in the middle had i let the pan get hotter before searing

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I did 57C (135F) with a 30 second "set off all the smoke alarms" sear and it was great.

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 12, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I know some do, but you're gonna get translucent pink at that temp with pork I believe and that's not a pleasant texture IMO.

It's an acquired taste to a certain extent - I think it throws a lot of people off because they've simply never had meat taste like that before in their lives.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have also gotten great pork tenderloin with 135. Next time I'll try 130.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I did my recipe at 60°C (140°F), that turned out nice and juicy, the Anova app has a recipe with different temps and this was for medium.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Whats a good mindfuck/cognitive dissonance temperature for chicken tits?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My family did a double take when I told them I cooked all my chicken boobies at 140F and did the "but but but 165!!!!" thing so maybe that?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You could also do 130 for an hour, which would be the venn diagram intersection of A) safe B) mindfuck/cognitive dissonance and C) gross

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

You could also do 130 for an hour, which would be the venn diagram intersection of A) safe B) mindfuck/cognitive dissonance and C) gross

Yeah, don't do this, it's just not how the texture of chicken should be.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Choadmaster posted:

8And God said Thou shalt be rewarded for thy faith, and thy hunger abated, and the rib became whole. From snout to hoof it became whole. 9Adam saw that it was pleasing to the eye and remained tender, with lucious fruit placed between the teeth.

10And God said, This I have created for you. Eat of the flesh, and of the juices of the flesh, for they are righteous and pure, but do not eat of the apple of the mouth, for it is the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, and surely you will be damned to the saltiest of miseries.

11And the Lord left Adam, and Adam's hunger grew. The meat of the rib was pleasing to his eye, but also was the apple. Now the crafty serpent appeared, flicking its tongue and whispering Lopezzzzzzzzzz with each breath. 12And the serpent said to Adam, Surely God did not mean for you to ignore such pleasing fruit. Did not the Lord promise knowledge? Does not salt bring out flavor?

13And Adam remembered that the serpent's words had led him to cook the first rib, of which the Lord God approved. And Adam was tempted by the fruit, and by the serpent's tongue, and so he ate of the apple. 14And his tongue was made sensitive. Adam desired to eat of the rib, but the salt upon it was overwhelming.

15And the Lord said, I see my mistake. I should not have protected Adam by hiding the salt from him. I should have created Adam a partner, one who could bluntly warn him his chosen recipe needed less salt, and perhaps more salad greens lest he die of a heart attack before the grandkids get to meet him.

16And the Lord wiped out his creation, land and sea He wiped out, man and animal He removed, all until even the light was gone, so that He could begin anew. 17And God said, This time, I'm sure everything will go smoothly.

this was great

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

yeah, no, that should still be C) delicious.

140 for 45 sounds like a starting place. maybe then down to 137 for some weirdness.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So that 135 loin turned out fantastic. Is there a goon approved Brisket? I've seen a lot of complaining.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Try chefsteps, I'm finding some of their recipes more successful out the gate.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket

Edit: They have an umami bomb sous vide sauce/marinade, do NOT make a pan sauce with it.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 14, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

toplitzin posted:

Try chefsteps, I'm finding some of their recipes more successful out the gate.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket

Edit: They have an umami bomb sous vide sauce/marinade, do NOT make a pan sauce with it.

I think people were crying about that recipe I don't know though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
No it was the Serious Eats recipe, not Chefsteps, that people were disappointed with. From my own experience, brisket smoked for about 2 hours and then sous vide at 144 for 48 hours has been the best I've done so far.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

No it was the Serious Eats recipe, not Chefsteps, that people were disappointed with. From my own experience, brisket smoked for about 2 hours and then sous vide at 144 for 48 hours has been the best I've done so far.

Interesting. Smoke first, then sous vide? I guess you get a legit smoke ring that way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
As I've mentioned when the subject last came up, I find mixing paradigms isn't always great, and smoking the brisket in Kenji's recipe just dries out the meat.

I settled for liquid smoke + pan sear when I did brisket sous vide, and it was great and remained moist. Too bad about the smoke ring, but yeah.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I smoked then sealed and sous vided a brisket for pastrami and was happy with the results.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Interesting. Smoke first, then sous vide? I guess you get a legit smoke ring that way.

Yeah, I've done it both ways and more testing is needed, but so far smoking first was best.

I get why a lot of recipes say smoke second in hopes of getting the best bark, but I just seared mine on the grill with some BBQ sauce when it was done and that was perfectly fine with us.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

No it was the Serious Eats recipe, not Chefsteps, that people were disappointed with.

This.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Yeah, smoke ring formation drops off as the meat is heated and effectively stops entirely by the time the meat hits around 140 F.

For most meats this means that you can pretty much finish in the oven or puddle machine without any meaningful change in quality. I think brisket is a counterexample, as you just won't get as good bark formation this way. A lot of people actually seem to prefer less bark, though. Like the bark in the Chefsteps photos looks pretty sad to me, but they're apparently happy with it so whatever.

Really the major advantage that I can see to doing a brisket s-v is that you can get away with using a l'il trimmed brisket without worrying about it drying out. Well, I guess ya pretty much have to use a trimmed brisket. Like when I run the smoker I pretty much never do less than about 15# of meat, and typically do 20# or more. None of the common consumer-grade puddle sticks are really up to cooking that much at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://meh.com

Nice sealer for $22. I've had 2 of these, one lasted about 2 years and the second (which was refurbished) lasted around 6 months.