Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hellion, Plague Doctor, Houndmaster, Houndmaster. You can stun the whole thing and melt it with DOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the correct move is always to increase quantities of dog

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
code:
while(true)
{
    dog++;
}

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mort posted:

I think the Flesh is the hardest boss. It hits really hard and most of its forms have lots of protection. Stacking lots of bleed works but it always felt close.
Yeah, stacking bleed is super effective against that boss, but otherwise, it's pretty difficult to deal with. The pig-head transformation hits very hard, and the tentacle transformation casts blight on the back line, with a chance to crit for huge amounts of damage.

The random nature of the Flesh's transformations make it much tougher to mark, and its self-healing ability on Champion mode gives it a lot more momentum. You mentioned how bosses were upgraded, and it seems like the Flesh's speed, damage, and healing ability get a big upgrade in Champion mode, because it was way easier to manage on lower difficulties.

You're pretty much forced to use stun, blight, and bleed. It's too dangerous to let that horrible thing take huge bites out of your heroes.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 31, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

About Flesh, so one of its "heads" is very similar to The Thing (the dog-head) and one of its attacks is a very Alien(s) design, are there other horror monsters that it references? (and by extension movies et al that i need to see)

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

double nine posted:

About Flesh, so one of its "heads" is very similar to The Thing (the dog-head) and one of its attacks is a very Alien(s) design, are there other horror monsters that it references? (and by extension movies et al that i need to see)

The entire concept of the Flesh itself seemed to me to be a reference to The Thing. The "dog-head" is actually a pig head I think. In fact I think all of the body parts are supposed to be pig parts based on the description the ancestor gives and given the presence of the swinefolk in the warrens.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

flowinprose posted:

The entire concept of the Flesh itself seemed to me to be a reference to The Thing. The "dog-head" is actually a pig head I think. In fact I think all of the body parts are supposed to be pig parts based on the description the ancestor gives and given the presence of the swinefolk in the warrens.

sure, but the specific pose/composition makes me think of this

and I was wondering if there was/were other horror monsters hidden in there.

Having a Thing reference is cool as it is though

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

double nine posted:

sure, but the specific pose/composition makes me think of this

Yup, the image you referenced looks similar to the tentacle transformation I was talking about, which the game calls the "Butt" of the Flesh. You can see a ton of the pig-head influence in that image, too.

Don't underestimate the Champion Butt. It will crit your Vestal for 24 damage, and blight the crap out of you with Undulating Invasion.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 31, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Just beat NG+ :pcgaming:
Dismas and Reynauld always make it to my final battles. Seems too appropriate to not use them, achievement aside. Won in just under 60 weeks, with only 4 non-final boss deaths during the whole campaign.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Alabaster White posted:

Dismas and Reynauld always make it to my final battles. Seems too appropriate to not use them, achievement aside. Won in just under 60 weeks, with only 4 non-final boss deaths during the whole campaign.

I accidentally brought Dismas along on the first DD run, I wanted a Highwayman and forgot to check his name :suicide:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Alabaster White posted:

I'm at week 61 on NG and the only death so far is a lvl 0 antiquarian that got the bad end of a 4 spider surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99hDl0eQMR8

I've beaten the game before, but I feel that when you get to champion dungeons it's better to ignore bosses, get people to lvl 6 and just go to the Darkest Dungeon. Why risk losing a lvl 6 hero on a bad Hag run when you can just rush to the end and get this nightmare done with?

And in the DD itself, after a bit of experience the only one that really gets me tense is DD 2. A jester makes DD1 almost trivial, DD3 is a relaxing 20km jog, and DD4, well.

Anyway,
If you want to see some serious NG+ speedrunning, there's a guy(korean I think) that managed to beat it in 30 weeks. No deaths!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCRjQDHdSObypL53Lez8XTBA?playlists

Halser fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 1, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Halser posted:

Anyway,
If you want to see some serious NG+ speedrunning, there's a guy(korean I think) that managed to beat it in 30 weeks. No deaths!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCRjQDHdSObypL53Lez8XTBA?playlists

I wanted to see how that's even possible but the link's broken.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

I wanted to see how that's even possible but the link's broken.

whoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuK2KPeRjc

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Halser posted:

And in the DD itself, after a bit of experience the only one that really gets me tense is DD 2. A jester makes DD1 almost trivial, DD3 is a relaxing 20km jog, and DD4, well.
Yeah, this was really the perfect way to sum up the DD experience. DD1 can throw you some curve balls, but DD2 is the real trial by fire. In comparison, DD3 feels significantly easier than a Champion Weald dungeon. A relaxing 20km jog, indeed! Just knowing what you're up against makes all the difference.

Alabaster White posted:

Congrats! I beat NG+ today at Week 88. Took a bunch of time to make backup heroes, just in case my DD missions were unsuccessful. In the end, I had 2 deaths, and here's one of them:

SPOILERS IMAGES BELOW !!!

You bastard, you killed my Houndmaster, Picot! Oh, and the Jester, too.

Thou art judged!!! Groulart administers righteous justice.

And some bonus stuff:

The Shambler can be a big gamble, given the circumstances of NG+, but I really wanted the loot. This was a super close call.

You're looking a little bit lonely there, Wilbur.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 1, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jedah posted:

Yeah, this was really the perfect way to sum up the DD experience. DD1 can throw you some curve balls, but DD2 is the real trial by fire. In comparison, DD3 feels significantly easier than a Champion Weald dungeon. A relaxing 20km jog, indeed! Just knowing what you're up against makes all the difference.

Congrats! I beat NG+ today at Week 88. Took a bunch of time to make backup heroes, just in case my DD missions were unsuccessful. In the end, I had 2 deaths, and here's one of them:

SPOILERS IMAGES BELOW !!!

Might as well post some too.

There are many Lepers, but this one is mine.

When upgraded and given a bit of a boost by your local friendly Occultist, his average damage gets to this(champion level):

Got him to crit a 40 on a Hew. It's delicious to still one shot enemies even in Champion level.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Did anyone else have a much harder time with the Swine God than his first two iterations? Even with debuffs a plenty of him, he was critting like crazy. I thought I'd never get the "Wilbur chumped someone" achievement but he did. Three times over. Little bastard deserves whatever fate he gets.

Luckily, Dismas lived, so the dream of bringing him to the final round is still alive.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Did anyone else have a much harder time with the Swine God than his first two iterations? Even with debuffs a plenty of him, he was critting like crazy. I thought I'd never get the "Wilbur chumped someone" achievement but he did. Three times over. Little bastard deserves whatever fate he gets.

Luckily, Dismas lived, so the dream of bringing him to the final round is still alive.

debuffing the God's damage isn't very effective because Wilbur's mark grants him extra damage on marked targets. You need two occultists spamming non stop to get his damage to reasonable levels, and Wilbur is there to stun them so your chain breaks, the little rear end in a top hat.

My recommendation is bringing either a Bounty Hunter or a Plague Doctor and spamming stuns on Wilbur. He gets two actions a turn, but if you stun at the right time, then he'll always be stunned in his "mark turn" and will just be left with his "stun" turn, making the fight a lot less dangerous.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Halser posted:

debuffing the God's damage isn't very effective because Wilbur's mark grants him extra damage on marked targets. You need two occultists spamming non stop to get his damage to reasonable levels, and Wilbur is there to stun them so your chain breaks, the little rear end in a top hat.

My recommendation is bringing either a Bounty Hunter or a Plague Doctor and spamming stuns on Wilbur. He gets two actions a turn, but if you stun at the right time, then he'll always be stunned in his "mark turn" and will just be left with his "stun" turn, making the fight a lot less dangerous.

I actually had a Leper and Occultist debuffing him, but he got a lucky crit in the first round and I was playing catch up for the rest of the fight.

However, I didn't think of hitting Wilbur with stuns that don't hurt him, I'll keep that in mind if I ever run the game again.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Did anyone else have a much harder time with the Swine God than his first two iterations? Even with debuffs a plenty of him, he was critting like crazy.
Swine God is much harder than the other versions, yeah. At least in NG+, he was one of the few Champion bosses I killed. I wanted Wilbur's trinket for the Highwayman, because it's so damned good. Pictured below was my composition: Arbalest, Vestal, Hound Master, Hellion.

Boss Spoiler:

The most crucial skill was the Arbalest's Rallying Flare. This clears stun off your characters, as well as Wilbur's mark(s). With no mark to follow, the Swine God will use Wild Flailing, a gimped version of his melee attack. Your Vestal's individual and group heal will pull a lot of weight, especially if he's doing reduced damage.

As far damage goes:

Mark the Swine God (likely with the Hound Master), and try to bleed him out. The Hellion and Hound Master can bleed effectively, since his resistance is low. Pop a dog biscuit if you can, and take out large chunks of health with Hound's Rush.

Keep Wilbur alive until the boss is dead, otherwise he'll use Enraged Destruction. This also means Riposte is risky on this specific boss fight. In general, I love Riposte, but why take the chance?

If your Arbalest can manage it, use Restring Crossbow just before the boss encounter. This will help Sniper Shot deal massive damage. However, it's possible she might be casting Rallying Flare the entire time. Honestly, that's fine, since it drops the difficulty of the fight from utterly chaotic to totally manageable.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 2, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Swine God ended up being the easiest boss of all for me, but I think that was more luck than anything. Leper/Bounty Hunter/Occultist/Arbalest, first turn we marked him and then the BH/Arb chain-critted him to death by turn 3. I remember I panicked at first because I took the Arb specifically for Rallying Flare and forgot to equip it.

I wish I had been recording it, I was in shock.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Speaking of forgetting to equip skills, I felt true horror a few minutes ago.

I went to the second darkest dungeon, double templar fight, all ready camped and buffed...

And I forgot to select the MAA guard skill

Thankfully I had an Occultist with Weakening Curse ready, and I got lucky enough that the Hellion(who didn't have a talisman) didn't get targeted at all. I'm not sure I'll ever be capable of complaining about RNG now.

By the way, I highly recommend having that. You can reliably keep them with -40% damage, with random rounds of -80% if speed rolls like you. Revelation isn't much trouble if you're not dumb like me, and with Weakening Curse, Torment, Stinger Shot and Stinger Stab are much less dangerous. Also, the Occultist can heal in a pinch, and in a dungeon that's 99% Eldritch enemies, he is pretty much a less accurate Grave Robber.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Without wishing to undermine the feat you pulled off without it, I'm 100% sure you can de-select and re-select skills in a mission so long as you're not in a fight.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Serpentis posted:

Without wishing to undermine the feat you pulled off without it, I'm 100% sure you can de-select and re-select skills in a mission so long as you're not in a fight.

oh, I know that.

but I realized that as soon as the fight started. After I nuked both templars out I switched the skill in.

Good idea too, because while the 2 templars didn't target my Hellion at all, the others kept trying to Reveal the poo poo out of her.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
god drat, even once you get used to champion level dungeons, Bone Commanders still are an existential threat. never thought id see the day where i would rather run the cove than the ruins.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

goddamn running into the collector early on is brutal. Especially when you don't have a way to punish the rear ranks and you can't out-dps (damage per swing) his summonings

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

paranoid randroid posted:

god drat, even once you get used to champion level dungeons, Bone Commanders still are an existential threat. never thought id see the day where i would rather run the cove than the ruins.

I remember when I tried moving one to the back row to see if he became disabled.

Hint: At the back rank, bone commanders only use Ground Pound.

Pro tip: Don`t put bone commanders in the back row.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
And I've beaten the game again!

Only two deaths, and they were lvl 0 antiquarians I threw at long pitch black beginner dungeons for cash. Whoops.

The MVP by far was Poer the Bounty Hunter. Got stressed to hell by the ancestor clones, but kept his chin up and kept critting everything down. Beautiful.

Sadly, there was a 0% chance he'd leave alive considering Reynauld and Dismas were there. There's a bit of regret in my heart for sacrificing him like that. Reynauld did pretty much nothing.
I decided to see what missions Neot and Poer went on. Neot was quite the veteran!

and here's a sad but funny thing.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Congrats! Bounty Hunters really are the best, aren't they? Those gigantic crits are so satisfying. And I love their dialogue, they don't give a gently caress.

Here are some of my retired heroes. They've seen some horrible things, and lived to tell the tale.

Blight Machine 9000.

Pretty sure this guy died once, then came back to life. That's how stubborn the bastard is.

Old Man Strength, personified.

Nappa, the trusty Houndmaster.

And remember, even if it's Week 370, the Collector will continue to take his toll.

RIP Cell the Jester and Bauldry the Vestal.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 6, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
is dogman nappa's dog named vegeta

this is important

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Coolguye posted:

is dogman nappa's dog named vegeta

this is important

yes.

here's the two of them camping together on a Weald run. Vegeta is enjoying a snack.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
all is right with the world

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im getting back into this game

its good

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Eonwe posted:

im getting back into this game

its good

it is the goodest :black101:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I've just gotten this game, and uh... I need to ask about whether the stress from abandoning a mission can trigger a heart attack.

Enemies were crit-happy on the way to the Swine King, and Dismas is at something like 180 stress. :sweatdrop:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Just tried abandoning a quest with dismas at 190 stress, it looks like that heart attacks don't trigger and the stress gets rounded back down to 100.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
heart attacks only happen in the dungeons

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Excellent, thanks. I'll take that discretion achievement now then...

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
A SINGULAR STRIKE

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I finally put Darkest Dungeon down at 230+ hours played, having picked it up the moment it became available to non-backers and played it more or less nonstop since that time. It has been an awesome ride, my go-to game for sure when I'm looking for something I can pick up and get a satisfying gameplay experience out of at a time investment of 20-45 minutes. But... it's time for a break. I loved the poo poo out of Darkest Dungeon, and I could probably play it another 20-30 hours easy, but I'm trying to save some of the magic for when/if some DLC ever gets made.

So... are there any other games similar to Darkest Dungeon? Not really specifically talking about the eldro-gothic art style so much as the central gameplay mechanics. I absolutely adore party-building games; the most fun I ever have in any game is customizing a party or a class to build teams I think are particularly powerful, novel, or built around some central theme or playstyle. I loved FFT for pretty much the same reason: build an interesting, varied party, tweak it with skills and equipment, and send it out into the world to see if it can surmount the next challenge. FFT and Darkest Dungeon also both had that awesome "satisfying gameplay experience 20-45 minutes at a time" thing going for them, too. Definitely a plus.

So... is there anything out there that scratches the same sort of itch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
XCOM I feel is the most similar to DD, with permadeath for individual units but you don't get a game over once you fail a mission. Unit stats can significantly affect mission outcomes, but so does smart positioning. Soldiers are one of 4 classes, and they gain powers as they level up, with you choosing from one of two powers at every level.

Invisible Inc. is my personal favorite. You play as a team of 2-4 superspies (chosen from a roster) infiltrating megacorps and stealing poo poo. It is the most puzzle-y game listed here, where your actions are largely deterministic. It is set up like a tactics game, but there are no to-hit chances, you attack rarely (if at all), and if you play it right, the enemy won't even know you're there. The challenge of this game comes from the levels being procedurally generated, limited vision range, limited movement points, and a timer that ticks down every turn. The combination of these things often forces you to make a choice between safety and speed (and money, in some cases).

You do not have as much freedom to customize your characters, because you are forced to shop during missions, at "vending machines" with randomized stock. Different agents can have wildly different capabilities, which will force you to change your playstyle.

Renowned Explorers is something I picked up recently. You lead a crew of three explorers (chosen from a roster) to explore exotic locations. There are 3 layers to the game: the world map, where you improve your base/guys and choose your next expedition, the expedition itself, which is similar to DD's dungeon exploration, and the encounters, which are set up like a tactics game. The challenge of encounters is in mastering the very complicated battle system, where each attack affects the "mood" of the battle and the emotions of the enemy, which in turn affects the attacks. The expeditions contain lots of skill challenges: your guys have a number of skills, ex: science, survival, diplomacy, and the game gives you percentage chances to succeed. The world map lets you improve yourself in several ways, from research, to items, to popularity attracting an entourage.

Everything affects everything else in this game. As mentioned, the combat system is an intricate thing, with actions feeding into other actions, but the choice of what you go for during expeditions affects your currency during the world map, which will let you get different skills and stats for expeditions and encounters, and so on.

Like II, characters rarely deviate from their roles. There is room for customization, but the game ends after 5 expeditions, so you probably won't feel the effects of it. Mostly the fun comes from choosing different characters on the next expedition (you meta-unlock characters as "captains," with unique abilities, if you finish a game with them in your crew).

Steam tells me Halycon 6 and FTL are similar but I haven't played these