Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is fascinating. What you're talking about is resignation before suicide. This Batman is a hosed up dude.

You know, I'd never thought about that angle on The Killing Joke, but it totally works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hodgepodge posted:

You know, I'd never thought about that angle on The Killing Joke, but it totally works.

It's part of why he simply doesn't stop being Batman and do something productive with his time. You could say it's hack writing but there's been like 80 years of psychological post hoc rationalizations attributed to the character, and the further they take it from carefree absurdism it's like you're talking about BTK or something. If he retires, he dies. If he realizes he's wrong, he dies. Worse, it's suicide. It's a fantasy about becoming a monster. Deeper and deeper...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

cvnvcnv posted:

Utterly incorrect and inaccurate. My intention is to suss out wether a gun can be just a gun, a cigar a cigar, etc.

A gun because it's final, in the mouth because at that point the struggle has concluded. Not because it's a penis, and rape?

I didn't say anything about penises you weirdo.

The natural conclusion to the struggle is the final unloading into the mouth, with a gun.

It's a simple tactical decision. The hard, metal barrel can be used to gently or forcefully nudge the lips apart, so you can get a clear shot at the underside of the brain.

Batman desires this tactical solution - is deeply fearful and ashamed of his desire (to face-gently caress Joker with a gun (not his penis)).

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

cvnvcnv posted:

There's no ducking, dodging, or getting away. Inescapable finality with nothing left to chance.

You could do all that without forcibly sticking it down someone's mouth, which is an explicitly evocative image. Also you still haven't addressed the idea that feeding another adult is often used in movies with a sexual subtext.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KVeezy3 posted:

You could do all that without forcibly sticking it down someone's mouth, which is an explicitly evocative image. Also you still haven't addressed the idea that feeding another adult is often used in movies with a sexual subtext.

Can be sexual. It's more 'profoundly intimate'.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

It's part of why he simply doesn't stop being Batman and do something productive with his time. You could say it's hack writing but there's been like 80 years of psychological post hoc rationalizations attributed to the character, and the further they take it from carefree absurdism it's like you're talking about BTK or something. If he retires, he dies. If he realizes he's wrong, he dies. Worse, it's suicide. It's a fantasy about becoming a monster. Deeper and deeper...

I mean, if he stops being Batman in order to really be Bruce Wayne, that would be killing Batman. Like an inversion of the part of Miracleman where Micky Moran commits suicide by saying "kimota" one last time and never changing back into his mundane self.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Can be sexual. It's more 'profoundly intimate'.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I want to see the next film incarnation of Batman as this concept: Bruce only dresses up as Batman to act as private security for Wayne Enterprises holdings. He chases some crooks off of Wayne property and sees a violent mugging happening across the street. Just shrugs his shoulders and goes back inside the gate. He's not getting involved; not his problem, not his jurisdiction.

The entire film is just full of situations that we as the audience would say, "Batman ought to do something about that..." and almost in response Bruce would just take a deep breath and go, "Nope..."

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If a gun is a penis, and shooting one bullet is enough to finish the job, then what batman fears most is the joker recognizing him as a one pump chump.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I think the issue (not really an issue, though) is that all this talk is highly sexualized and reduced to that, when there's much more play regarding ego.

Like, there's no way that's sexual. Or maybe a surface reading of that set of images. It's highly intimate, though. Being mugged is intimate.

Lex doesn't want that dude to suck his dick. Lex views this guy as nothing. He's played him, tempted him, the Devil to the dude's Eve. Lex treats him like a child. That utter dominance and "i'm giving you this so now you give me [x]", same when he offers Holly Hunter a drink in his Dad's room before she denies him the permit. Lex is thrown of. He's frustrated - she's not playing the game, does she think she's his equal?

Sure, you can say the red jolly rancher getting pushed into the dude's mouth is symbolic of Lex's mushroom tip being shoved inthere or whatever, but it's such a reductionist attempt that it disservices the interplay.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Uh, again, I did not say anything about penises. That's just a cherry jolly rancher.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks to Death of the Author I can think of everything as a penis. Except an actual penis, which is a gun.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
SMG is an advanced chatbot that has a 100% OCR error rate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Something is very plainly wrong with comic book fans here.

Bruce Wayne wants to gently caress Joker in the face with a loaded handgun. He says this. And then Alfred asserts that Wayne is not psychologically capable of actually doing this (i.e. "you're not a killer").

It seems really straightforward: Alfred is saying that Bruce Wayne is not the type to face-gently caress a person with a handgun. That's what he means by "a killer." The meaning is based on the context.

But then you get these bizarre non-interpretations. Alfred's opinion is taken as an objective fact: Wayne objectively cannot kill anything. And all forms of killing are taken as objectively the same. Accidentally knocking Joker off a ledge, or having him sentenced to death after a fair trial, would be equally (objectively) bad as facefucking him with a loaded handgun.

And then, in order to defend this 'objectivist' approach, fanspeople dredge up these weird strawmen based on popular misconceptions about Barthes (circa 1967) and Freud (~1900s). Nobody said anything about Barthes or Freud; that's stuff from over 50 years ago. Where did they come from?

The idea appears to be that being sufficiently dismissive of "Freud" will cause Alfred's subjective opinion to turn into objective fact. The goal is to attack the idea of subjectivity itself by evoking the figure of "Freud", locating/isolating 'psychology' inside the figure of "Freud", and then destroying "Freud". 'No-killing' is rendered apsychological.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 10, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Something is very plainly wrong with comic book fans here.

Bruce Wayne wants to gently caress Joker in the face with a loaded handgun. He says this. And then Alfred asserts that Wayne is not psychologically capable of actually doing this (i.e. "you're not a killer").

It seems really straightforward: Alfred is saying that Bruce Wayne is not the type to face-gently caress a person with a handgun. That's what he means by "a killer." The meaning is based on the context.

But then you get these bizarre non-interpretations. Alfred's opinion is taken as an objective fact. Batman objectively cannot kill anything. And all forms of killing are taken as objectively the same. Accidentally knocking Joker off a ledge, or having him sentenced to death after a fair trial, is equally bad as facefucking him with a loaded handgun.

And then, in order to defend this objectivist approach, people dredge up these weird strawmen based on popular misconceptions about Barthes (circa 1967) and Freud (~1900s). Nobody said anything about Barthes or Freud; that's stuff from over 50 years ago. Where did that come from?

The idea appears to be that being sufficiently dismissive of "Freud" will cause Alfred's subjective opinion to turn into objective fact. The goal is to attack the idea of subjectivity itself by evoking the figure of "Freud", locating/isolating 'psychology' inside the figure of "Freud", and then destroying "Freud".

Well, is it objective fact or is just characterization for the two? Batman frets about whether or not he might be a face-fucker, which makes sense because Batman frets all the time. Alfred meanwhile asserts that he isn't a face-fucker because he believes in the Platonic Ideal of Batman and expects Batman to live up to it.

Fans really shouldn't take it as objective fact when it's characterization though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HIJK posted:

Well, is it objective fact or is just characterization for the two? Batman frets about whether or not he might be a face-fucker, which makes sense because Batman frets all the time. Alfred meanwhile asserts that he isn't a face-fucker because he believes in the Platonic Ideal of Batman and expects Batman to live up to it.

Fans really shouldn't take it as objective fact when it's characterization though.

The thing is that Alfred is not talking about a platonic ideal. He's not even talking about Batman.

Wayne has his mask off, and Alfred is addressing him as 'Sir' - as Master Wayne. We're shown Alfred's prespective, where Wayne is all hunched over and sad. Note the mild disdain in "whatever else you may be...".

Alfred's saying that 'your Batman thing is some hosed-up poo poo, but you're not that hosed up'.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 10, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Ryan Potter (from Big Hero 6) really wants to be Tim Drake for the new Batman movie. He even put out an "audition" video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsdwfSxgTP4

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
We will see Bat-Mite in a live action Batman movie before we ever see Tim Drake.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

It never registered that Harley's bat said "Good Night" before, and now I can't stop thinking of Harley and Joker as darlings of the alt-right/neo-Nazis.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Nice trailer!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Equilibrium posted:

We will see Bat-Mite in a live action Batman movie before we ever see Tim Drake.

How is Tim Drake, of all characters, untranslatable to film?

Wow, this is the LAST place I would expect to see an actual timeline for the DCEU.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 10, 2016

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Tim Drake specifically isn't untranslatable to film, especially if you're willing to alter his origin story a bit not to rely on previous Robins. It's that the concept of teenage sidekicks don't really fit the modern major studio superhero aesthetic. They're certainly not required for their original, intended purpose (attracting a particular demographic as customers).

Frankly, sidekicks barely work in comics as it is, and only that well because the age of the sidekicks has been creeping up into the 18-20 year old range, rather than the original 14-16. Being serious in your examination of superheroics means you have to be similarly serious about the implications and consequences of an adult allowing and encouraging a child to dress up and attack people alongside him.

Crion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 10, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can easily age Drake up, he just won't be used in a movie because there other Robins are worth more money and he's third in line. If he's used in any movie ever though, it will be a Affleck one since Jason Todd seems to have already happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crion posted:

Tim Drake specifically isn't untranslatable to film, especially if you're willing to alter his origin story a bit not to rely on previous Robins. It's that the concept of teenage sidekicks don't really fit the modern major studio superhero aesthetic. They're certainly not required for their original, intended purpose (attracting a particular demographic as customers).

Frankly, sidekicks barely work in comics as it is, and only that well because the age of the sidekicks has been creeping up into the 18-20 year old range, rather than the original 14-16. Being serious in your examination of superheroics means you have to be similarly serious about the implications and consequences of an adult allowing and encouraging a child to dress up and attack people alongside him.
Tim Drake's hook is extremely simple. He's just a really smart kid who worked out who Batman is but also isn't afraid to go say it to his face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hodgepodge posted:

I mean, if he stops being Batman in order to really be Bruce Wayne, that would be killing Batman. Like an inversion of the part of Miracleman where Micky Moran commits suicide by saying "kimota" one last time and never changing back into his mundane self.

Well yeah, that's why Christian Bale has to fake his death with a nuke so he can go clubbing. He can't just stop being Batman. That grandiosity is necessary.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim Drake is filmable. It's just that the other 3 Robins have a lot more going for them. Dick was the first and he's had the full arc of growing up and becoming his own man. Jason is known for dying and coming back as the Punisher. Damien is the biological son o Batman and the grandchild of the leader of an organization ecoterrorist ninjas. Tim is..?
Even the comics are struggling to figure out what to do with him at the moment. Yeah, he doesn't take poo poo from Batman as someone above me posted, but none of the other Robins do either because 99 percent of Batman and Robin stories are "Don't go there/fight that man, Robin" then Robin rebelling and going there and fighting than man.

Tim's drama is that he has no drama.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tim Drake is filmable. It's just that the other 3 Robins have a lot more going for them. Dick was the first and he's had the full arc of growing up and becoming his own man. Jason is known for dying and coming back as the Punisher. Damien is the biological son o Batman and the grandchild of the leader of an organization ecoterrorist ninjas. Tim is..?
Even the comics are struggling to figure out what to do with him at the moment. Yeah, he doesn't take poo poo from Batman as someone above me posted, but none of the other Robins do either because 99 percent of Batman and Robin stories are "Don't go there/fight that man, Robin" then Robin rebelling and going there and fighting than man.

BTAS did some interesting stuff with Tim Drake but they also changed his backstory up a little for that so...I dunno.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HIJK posted:

BTAS did some interesting stuff with Tim Drake but they also changed his backstory up a little for that so...I dunno.

That version was Jason Todd with Tim's name, so yeah.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Has an actor releasing an "Audition Tape" ever like, not just been kinda embarassing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim Drake was my favorite Robin until Damien showed up, forcibly took then mantle and did everything better. And yeah, BTAS Tim was just rebranded Jason Todd where he grows up to become a TV repair man instead of the Punisher.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Has an actor releasing an "Audition Tape" ever like, not just been kinda embarassing

I read "audition tape" and "embarrassing" and it reminded me of Chris Klein's audition for Mamma Mia! and immediately made me cringe just from memory.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He should show up on set and harass Ben Affleck like that one actress did to Tim Burton for Catwoman.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tim Drakes thing is how he has to lie to his dad and then eventually his dad finds out he's Robin and in the end reluctantly accepts it. Then he gets killed as Tim and Batman race to the scene. It was by far the best part of Identity Crisis. There's a moment where Tim is scared to death and says to Batman, "Please save my dad" and Batman just gives him this look of sheer helplessness as his literal worst fear is playing out in front of his eyes. It was really awesome.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Tim Drakes thing is how he has to lie to his dad and then eventually his dad finds out he's Robin and in the end reluctantly accepts it. Then he gets killed as Tim and Batman race to the scene. It was by far the best part of Identity Crisis. There's a moment where Tim is scared to death and says to Batman, "Please save my dad" and Batman just gives him this look of sheer helplessness as his literal worst fear is playing out in front of his eyes. It was really awesome.

I don't know how you'd trip over that bar when it's halfway embedded in the ground, but please be careful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IbC1Ve5kBM&t=381s

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

greatn posted:

You can easily age Drake up, he just won't be used in a movie because there other Robins are worth more money and he's third in line. If he's used in any movie ever though, it will be a Affleck one since Jason Todd seems to have already happened.

I doubt they'll be aging any sidekicks up soon, either, unless they're specifically trying to invoke the legacy of the Schumacher films. The most likely thing (commercially) would be an approach somewhat like Nolan's to JGL's "Robin," where he's a character that actively does stuff in the film, but never puts on a costume or takes a codename, in order to test the waters for easing him in during a sequel. Artistically, I'd be interested but nervous to see what Affleck would do with just, the actual teenage sidekick concept.

Ugh.

Detective No. 27 posted:

In the comics, Tim spent most of his time as Robin as a mouthpiece for whatever problem writer Chuck Dixon had with teenagers these days or the Clinton administration. Dixon's long tenure on the book is full of stuff like Robin parachuting into not-Bosnia to resolve the conflict with good ol' American know-how; Robin finding his first girlfriend waiting for him half-naked in bed when he comes home from superhero-ing, telling her to get dressed, and marching her right back to her father for discipline; and Robin persuading his second girlfriend, the superhero Spoiler, not to have an abortion when she finds out her ex-boyfriend got her pregnant, but instead give the kid up for adoption. In between, Robin spends time fighting really bad inner city gang supervillain caricatures (while working with a token Noble Articulate Black Man, the superhero Orpheus, who takes his name from Greek mythology because gently caress if Dixon and his crew had any other background to draw from) and thinly-veiled Cold Warrior bullshit like KGBeast and NKVDemon.

Dixon, you'll recall, is the same writer who had Dick Grayson literally become a cop -- not to expose corruption in the ranks, but because he thought that was the best way to serve the people of Bludhaven. (If there are those unfamiliar, there was a city called Bludhaven in the DC Comics universe. Might have been mentioned offhand in one of the Nolan films. Another one of Dixon's creations, it's basically white suburbia's terror about the inner cities writ large, and roughly corresponds with Baltimore, given it's down the coast from Gotham and has an Inner Harbor. It got nuked at some point.)

Dixon was a decent character writer for his time, but all his plots and themes were right-wing curmudgeon stuff, most of which is only relevant today in an oppositional reading. Even beyond the politics, the reason there's no iconic Tim Drake Robin story except for that execrable nonsense in Identity Crisis is because there are basically no good Tim Drake Robin stories period, just some good character writing done by other writers in the short period between when Chuck Dixon left the book and even worse conservative ideologue (not to mention writer) Bill Willingham picked it up and proceeded to humiliate and murder the entire supporting cast.

So long story short, if Tim Drake was going to be in a movie, it'd basically just be the name and possibly the origin hung on a completely new character, and that'd be perfectly fine.

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 10, 2016

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The appeal of Tim Drake was that unlike almost everyone else in the Batman family at the time he had no tragedy in his life and was just this really bright kid driven to do the right thing. His parents weren't dead and he wasn't brooding, he was just like "I figured out who Batman is and want to help".

I'm not sure how to feel about the IC scene in light of that, but what I did hate was that it was a larger DCU story so you had to have the dumb "all 5 flashes and superman aren't answering their phones!" moment which undercut the whole thing.

Robin tearing off his costume too was weird. I guess you could take at is him like desperately rejecting the Robin mantle if it meant losing his dad, but still weird in that kinda of story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

So do you just hate-read comics or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spider-man did hang out with Obama that one time

Detective No. 27 posted:

He should show up on set and harass Ben Affleck like that one actress did to Tim Burton for Catwoman.
Wasn't that Blade Runner's Sean Young?

• Locked thread