Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A legacy of excellence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA

Also found this morning talk show interview with Avery Brooks and Rene Auberjonois, which is worth watching for Brooks' incredible hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnWmATqfebQ

Lol "intergalictical."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Hollismason posted:

I am watching the original series and the Season 2 Episode 3 where they just casually erase all of Uhura's memories entirely erasing her personality and they're just like " Welp, just reeducate her". What the hell.

This poo poo happens in space, dude. Gotta learn to move on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My favorite is that at the end McCoy is like "She's at a college level, she can return to work in a week". Man she just had her entire identity destroyed and they just reprogrammed her completely. It's bizzarrrreee. What happens when she is like " Yea so who are my parents, do I have family, did I love someone, was I in a a relationship?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hollismason posted:

My favorite is that at the end McCoy is like "She's at a college level, she can return to work in a week". Man she just had her entire identity destroyed and they just reprogrammed her completely. It's bizzarrrreee. What happens when she is like " Yea so who are my parents, do I have family, did I love someone, was I in a a relationship?"

This is why everyone in the future makes detailed personal logs several times a day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She busted out fluent Swahili when she was frustrated, so presumably her memories were returning.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Baronjutter posted:

This is why everyone in the future makes detailed personal logs several times a day.

It works for the Weyouns, doesn't it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There's only the one Damar tho.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wtf how did nobody tell me Jonathan Frakes was 35 years old when TNG started

that is a bright-eyed 35

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Got back from For the Love of Spock a little bit ago. It was... okay. First half was much better and more focused. After the TOS cancellation, things get... weird and jumpy. It was cool to hear about his theatre work and at least the photography gets a tiny section, but they jump straight from 1989 ("The Good Mother" bombing) to 2009 (Abrams film). No mention of Unification, which was A Big Deal when it happened. :( I guess they couldn't get Patrick Stewart.

Then it's "he died" and a brief (but touching) clip from his brother and... it just stops after the "what does Spock mean to you" montage from the trailer.

Everyone should still see it, of course, but it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be after I saw the trailer.

EDIT - Oh, and a lot of footage of Burning Man. For some reason.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 10, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wtf how did nobody tell me Jonathan Frakes was 35 years old when TNG started

that is a bright-eyed 35

Well poo poo there's still time for me to be an actor.

And I've got a headstart on lookin' paunchy too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

wish i had a chin butt like that

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

At that point, they'd probably just shrug and say, "We don't know any of that stuff, but we did hear you sing a couple times."

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

After The War posted:

Got back from For the Love of Spock a little bit ago. It was... okay. First half was much better and more focused. After the TOS cancellation, things get... weird and jumpy. It was cool to hear about his theatre work and at least the photography gets a tiny section, but they jump straight from 1989 ("The Good Mother" bombing) to 2009 (Abrams film). No mention of Unification, which was A Big Deal when it happened. :( I guess they couldn't get Patrick Stewart.

Then it's "he died" and a brief (but touching) clip from his brother and... it just stops after the "what does Spock mean to you" montage from the trailer.

Everyone should still see it, of course, but it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be after I saw the trailer.

EDIT - Oh, and a lot of footage of Burning Man. For some reason.

I'm happy they mentioned all the Kirk/Spock slash. I always wondered what Takei thought of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MorgaineDax posted:

I'm happy they mentioned all the Kirk/Spock slash. I always wondered what Takei thought of that.

"Why is it never me?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The_Doctor posted:

"Why is it never me?"

"Kirk/Sulu fiction? Oh noooo :("

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

There's only the one Damar tho.

Can we just have a whole page dedicated to how awesome Damar was?

Damar's great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

wish i had a chin butt like that

Seems hard to shave.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Can we just have a whole page dedicated to how awesome Damar was?

Damar's great.

I'm down. Damar was awesome. I want to ask him what a yamok is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Trent posted:

I want to ask him what a yamok is.

A yuuzhan vong battle coordinator.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trent posted:

Seems hard to shave.

its like shaving your butt

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MorgaineDax posted:

I never got it, myself. Spock and McCoy were obviously the long-term couple that showed their love through bickering and one-upsmanship. They're practically finishing each other's sentences most of the time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah, that's what my wife said too.

btw being married to a Trek fan is awesome but being married to a Trek fan who hasn't yet seen everything is EVEN BETTER

also, I am glad we have given (some of) TNG S1 a second chance; parts of it are surprisingly good, such as Shut Up, Wesley.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

After The War posted:

I never got it, myself. Spock and McCoy were obviously the long-term couple that showed their love through bickering and one-upsmanship. They're practically finishing each other's sentences most of the time.

The first time I watched TOS I wasn't looking for anything slashy, but after learning more about how important all the Kirk/Spock stuff was in fandom history, I've been paying closer attention to it as I've been rewatching it recently. And I gotta say, I totally get Kirk/Spock now. I'm not exactly into it, but I can see how people went crazy over these two particular guys together.

nmx
May 16, 2004

Hollismason posted:

My favorite is that at the end McCoy is like "She's at a college level, she can return to work in a week". Man she just had her entire identity destroyed and they just reprogrammed her completely. It's bizzarrrreee.

I've never seen this episode, but it sounds worse than Threshold.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nmx posted:

2x08, The Changeling. (No, it's not an early appearance of Odo's people.) It's actually a really good episode, but yeah, the part with Uhura's memory is kind of hosed up.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Powered Descent posted:

2x08, The Changeling. (No, it's not an early appearance of Odo's people.) It's actually a really good episode, but yeah, the part with Uhura's memory is kind of hosed up.

Also, don't play any kind of redshirt drinking game with this one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nmx posted:

The Changeling had the benefit of audience expectation that the status quo would be reset in time for next week's episode, so it's not surprising when you take that era of tv writing into account. Threshold doesn't have that excuse.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I like the argument that since she reverts to speaking Swahili, it means her personality wasn't really destroyed and Nomad somehow just scrambled her ability to access certain memories. Not that that really makes any more sense, but the whole thing is just way too hosed up if you take it as Uhura essentially dying and being reprogrammed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trent posted:

I'm down. Damar was awesome. I want to ask him what a yamok is.

Wanna have a glass of that kanar with Damar.

What's wonderful is that he has a great character arc that you almost don't even realize is happening. He's just there for Dukat to talk to somebody in scenes, but then once his usefulness is ended, the writers don't drop him, but let him carry on and become something even better.

The same thing happened with Rom and Nog, both of whom had fantastic character arcs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wanna have a glass of that kanar with Damar.

Only if Weyoun is there. And then Worf walks in.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I think that's one of those things you just have to take as "we didn't know all that much about the ways brains and memories and personalities worked 50 years ago"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I think that's one of those things you just have to take as "we didn't know all that much about the ways brains and memories and personalities worked 50 years ago"

"Whom Gods Destroy" and the cure for insanity? Not plausible?

Seriously though that was a hosed up episode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's nothing compared to the episode (Dagger of the Mind) where a famous space psychiatrist uses a pain-probe to turn one of his employees into a star rating mad lunatic who experiences agonizing pain if he tries to remember who he is.

Later the probe is turned on Kirk to make him hot for a Med crewmate whom he hosed at last year's Christmas party.

Why yes we can radically alter your thought processes with a machine. Silly captain Kirk, this is just a standard StarFleet medical tool found on more advanced treatment centers!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What about "This Side of Paradise?". Yeah, mind altering spores, but they cure EVERYTHING (even organs that have been removed.)

Sounds like the ultimate vacation spot to me. Get high and happy for a week, have your heath restored to perfection, just get into a brawl at the end of your trip to kill off the spores.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
"Doomsday Machine" is on BBCA now. William Windom is determined to out-overact Shatner.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mister Kingdom posted:

"Doomsday Machine" is on BBCA now. William Windom is determined to out-overact Shatner.

It's great.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

As a kid I remember thinking "drat that dude can act" because I thought acting was just scenery chewing. Trek hosed me up, dude.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I prefer to think of it more as stage acting than over-acting. It was a different time on TV.

Regardless of the scenery digestion, he still really sells the terror of the thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

bull3964 posted:

I prefer to think of it more as stage acting than over-acting. It was a different time on TV.

Regardless of the scenery digestion, he still really sells the terror of the thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dude just has a pretzel on his shirt. In case he gets hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

The worst blowjob.