Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seltzer posted:

fuckin' retirement league!
Literally within an hour Billy Haisley had a column up about this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Wait, I saw that Landon was back and assumed it was just a retrospective click bait article, but he's back? WTF?

I'll allow it as long as it eventually leads to an MLS version of Space Jam.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

We lost 4 starters in a week so someone joked that Landon should suit up. They all laughed about it, then someone was like, 'No, fer serials, bruh.' And Landon was like 'Cool, but I'm fat and rusty.' And the other guy was like, 'You're still in better shape than Bedoya.' Then Landycakes said 'True nuff', and signed the contract.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

I'd laugh if he got injured in training and was out for the rest of the season

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

I'd laugh if he got injured in training and was out for the rest of the season

It would be funny but it would probably motivate him to play next season.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Wait a second

• Old
  • Past It
  • American

code:

Sign him up, Bennie.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I thought it would be funny if when he came out of retirement he was still up for allocation and didn't end up with the Galaxy.

Of course it's MLS so they probably would have just created some new rule so LA could sign him anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

I thought it would be funny if when he came out of retirement he was still up for allocation and didn't end up with the Galaxy.

Of course it's MLS so they probably would have just created some new rule so LA could sign him anyway.
The Homegrown Retiree Rule of September 2016

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

foobardog posted:

The international break is a good point, as is the two legged fixtures. And if you add avoiding football to that...

Though, I don't think it's that logistically necessary, even though MLS is a smaller league, other leagues like the NHL, the NBA, and MLB have undetermined final locations, and with multiple games too. It's not a good comparison, though, those leagues normally play multiple games per week. Additionally, some break is probably ideal if you want players to have some time to rest and recover so they're at their best.

It's really not easy, I guess, though more evidence for single table with Supporters Shield being the championship. I don't think it will happen, too many benefits to conferences with travel, and with conferences, best record as championship makes no sense.

Those are bad examples because they all have final SERIES, with the games alternating between the contestants in some fashion. Now if MLS Cup was a two-legged final you'd have less need for travel lead time, since each team's fans would have a home game to attend while the hardcores will find a way to make both. But that would be weird to our silly American sporting sensibilities.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Wait a second

• Old
  • Past It
  • American

code:
Sign him up, Bennie.

Opa!!!

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Moktaro posted:

Those are bad examples because they all have final SERIES, with the games alternating between the contestants in some fashion. Now if MLS Cup was a two-legged final you'd have less need for travel lead time, since each team's fans would have a home game to attend while the hardcores will find a way to make both. But that would be weird to our silly American sporting sensibilities.

Much like the silly end to the UEFA Champion's League, so fuckin' dumb and silly, so American

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Not to mention that two legged finals are the dumbest loving thing ever in the history of sport.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Nothing is as stupid as the AFL Grand Final, which can end in a tie and force a replay the next week.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
gently caress New Jersey For 1,000 Years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Nothing is as stupid as the AFL Grand Final, which can end in a tie and force a replay the next week.

Especially when there's typically enough scoring that you could almost certainly determine a winner with an OT period of as little as five minutes.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Moktaro posted:

Right, that probably should have been called out too.

I think the big reason you even see UEFA Champions league pick up the one final game is because it makes it easier to advertise and schedule around a single date, which means more money. The Super Bowl so punches above its weight as a global event, so everyone wants to be the Super Bowl.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

foobardog posted:

Right, that probably should have been called out too.

I think the big reason you even see UEFA Champions league pick up the one final game is because it makes it easier to advertise and schedule around a single date, which means more money. The Super Bowl so punches above its weight as a global event, so everyone wants to be the Super Bowl.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm pretty sure the Champions League final has always been a single game at a randomly-chosen venue, and that dates back to the early 1950's.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Ted posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm pretty sure the Champions League final has always been a single game at a randomly-chosen venue, and that dates back to the early 1950's.

But that said, that works in Europe, but (for example) the Copa Libertadores, CCL, and Voyageurs' Cup are all two-legged finals for pretty similar reasons: not enough people would be able or willing to go to a neutral site final given the distances involved, and those competitions chose to give both teams a home date instead of picking one through some obscure process (like the USOC now does - how the hell do they assign that these days?), since there isn't a league stage to assign home field advantage in a way that feels fair (like the MLS Cup has).

A two-legged final is just the shortest possible series (which basically every other non-football American sport has), and they're pretty common even in soccer on this side of the pond. It wouldn't be Alien And Unamerican to do it but there simply isn't the time (to my great relief, since two-legged finals simply Feel Weird to me, like they would I guess to anyone who came to soccer fandom via Europe).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 12, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

But that said, that works in Europe, but (for example) the Copa Libertadores, CCL, and Voyageurs' Cup are all two-legged finals for pretty similar reasons: not enough people would be able or willing to go to a neutral site final given the distances involved, and those competitions chose to give both teams a home date instead of picking one through some obscure process (like the USOC now does - how the hell do they assign that these days?), since there isn't a league stage to assign home field advantage in a way that feels fair (like the MLS Cup has).

A two-legged final is just the shortest possible series (which basically every other non-football American sport has), and they're pretty common even in soccer on this side of the pond. It wouldn't be Alien And Unamerican to do it but there simply isn't the time (to my great relief, since two-legged finals simply Feel Weird to me, like they would I guess to anyone who came to soccer fandom via Europe).
I was just making the point that the CL final has been single-leg since something like 1955 so, no, they don't have a neutral site, one-off final because they're aping the Superb Owl.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Ted posted:

I was just making the point that the CL final has been single-leg since something like 1955 so, no, they don't have a neutral site, one-off final because they're aping the Superb Owl.

Yeah, I'd meant to post earlier in the discussion and should probably have quoted someone else.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Going to the open cup game tomorrow. I can't wait to watch FC Dallas let me down. It's kinda their thing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Going to the open cup game tomorrow. I can't wait to watch FC Dallas let me down. It's kinda their thing.

Losing cup finals is kinda New England's thing so some long-suffering fan will come out happy either way?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Offtopic post: can any Chicago dudes recommend a place where I can watch the Juve game on Wednesday?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh, shows how stupid I am.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

Offtopic post: can any Chicago dudes recommend a place where I can watch the Juve game on Wednesday?

I'm not a Chicago dude, but maybe this place, it looks like a Juve supporter club has met there for CL matches last year: https://twitter.com/JuveChicago

E: all the CL matches are on their schedule, it seems: http://ajhudsons.com/info.php?R=AJH&L=&H=1&P=Info&S=TOP:Soccer

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm flying in today for the game. I'm excited but that Saturday result against Colorado soured me, so yeah, my gut is that FCD loses a heartbreaker on penalties or something.

I have an extra ticket if someone is looking for one.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yes Virginia, there will be an expansion draft

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We're gonna lose somebody. STOP ADDING TEAMS!

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

RocketLunatic posted:

I'm flying in today for the game. I'm excited but that Saturday result against Colorado soured me, so yeah, my gut is that FCD loses a heartbreaker on penalties or something.

I wasn't terribly worried about the result of that game. Dallas outshot Colorado 17-7 while missing Diaz and Barrios, and had over 60% possession. It's one of those games where you look at the stat line and wonder how exactly you managed to lose, but as I said, a narrow loss against the 2nd place team while missing your goalscoring leader and assist leader is hardly alarm-bells worthy.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Please take all of Columbus.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

trem_two posted:

I'm not a Chicago dude, but maybe this place, it looks like a Juve supporter club has met there for CL matches last year: https://twitter.com/JuveChicago

E: all the CL matches are on their schedule, it seems: http://ajhudsons.com/info.php?R=AJH&L=&H=1&P=Info&S=TOP:Soccer

Thanks, looks like those guys are not active on twitter anymore but I'll go there tomorrow to watch the game

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

build the expansion wall

make mls great again

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

gently caress this gay league.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

gently caress OFF WERE FULL

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I have two hours to kill before the USOC final starts, and it's too early to start drinking, so here's what FCD will be looking at when the expansion draft comes.

Protect:
Mauro Diaz, Michael Barrios, Tesho Akindele, Kellyn Acosta, Victor Ulloa, Carlos Gruezo, Matt Hedges, Walker Zimmerman, Zach Loyd, Ryan Hollingshead, and one of Chris Seitz or Jesse Gonzalez (Gonzalez had a banner year last year but regressed mightily this season)

Best Unprotected:
Maxi Urruti (underwhelming all year)
Maynor Figueroa (ancient, Hollingshead is a better LB)
Mauro Rosales (great impact sub, but ancient)
Atiba Harris
either Seitz (could start anywhere in the league) or Gonzalez (tons and tons of potential)

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 14, 2016

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
Minnesota should pick up the rights to Landon Donovan. I assume the Galaxy won't bother to protect him at the end of the season.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Draft Draft set for October 16. Like two years ago, the new clubs will alternate which player acquisition method they want a higher number in. These are:

-Expansion Draft
-SuperDraft
-Player Allocation
-Waiver and Re-entry Draft
-Discovery Player Ranking
-USL/NASL Player Priority Ranking

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Conartist posted:

Minnesota should pick up the rights to Landon Donovan. I assume the Galaxy won't bother to protect him at the end of the season.

I think Jesse Marsch well and truly showed the fallacy of that move.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

gently caress OFF WERE FULL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Any room for this guy?

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/775904579984556032

• Locked thread