Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Stick some wheels on that, bolt a chair to the top of the transmission, and I'll drive it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jresu2xAKKk

Goodwood Revival races are on their third day and being live streamed on youtube. Lots of awesome old cars.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So are there still roads in NT without speed limits ? I thought I heard rumblings in that area a year or two ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you're that far away from civilization, if you can't see any other cars, there's no speed limit. :v:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Qmass posted:

So are there still roads in NT without speed limits ? I thought I heard rumblings in that area a year or two ago.

Only for a few more weeks. The new government mentioned in passing during the election campaign that they're reinstating speed limits and have cherry-picked that promise from their whole promise portfolio of "not being Liberals" to implement.

If you're going to go there, do it soon.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

When you're that far away from civilization, if you can't see any other cars, there's no speed limit. :v:

When you're that far out though, you've gotta figure out how bad the speed is gonna kill your range. Roughly, twice double-nickel speed limit halves your fuel mileage and quarters the amount of time it takes to run your tank dry.

Some back of the envelope math:
15 gal tank & 25mpg @ 55mph; yields 375 mi range, 6h 45min drive time
15 gal tank & 12mpg @110mph, yields 180 mi range, 1h 30min drive time

The ute would make a fantastic support vehicle to refuel along the route, though!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

From the Comics thread:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ooooooh so THAT'S how the did it. Altho not in the FC, that's quite well known for having a very tough IRS that handles spectacularly well on dirt. That AWD would work on a FB nicely

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
Guess what entered Drag Week. :drac:

5 dollars says the guy driving looks like Grandpa Munster

article about the car

http://bangshift.com/general-news/car-features/car-feature-the-176mph-lsr-1970-cadillac-coupe-de-kill-caddy-powered-and-homebuilt/

Another article about what's entered in Drag Week in case anyone's curious (someone entered a Geo Tracker in Unlimited)

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/9-days-hot-rod-drag-week-watch-hell-week/

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The Coupe-de-Kill has been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw that article a few years ago. I do believe he's since crossed the 200mph barrier.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Saw this thing today.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ooooooh so THAT'S how the did it. Altho not in the FC, that's quite well known for having a very tough IRS that handles spectacularly well on dirt. That AWD would work on a FB nicely

Yeah, that's driveline is actually supposedly from one of the FBs. Weird mishmash of parts. There's actually rally classes you could build something like that for in the States, but putting effort into a rally car build in the States seems like wasted effort.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

razorscooter posted:

Saw this thing today.

Holy fuckin poo poo. What motor is that?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dannywilson posted:

The Coupe-de-Kill has been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw that article a few years ago. I do believe he's since crossed the 200mph barrier.

Same. :allears:

That particular image was my laptop's background for the longest time, too.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Raluek posted:

Same. :allears:

That particular image was my laptop's background for the longest time, too.

It's been a back and forth between that pick of CDK, this pic of the Gigahorse, and this pic of Darkness on my work comp for a long time.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

razorscooter posted:

Saw this thing today.

Literally drooling. I want a caddy so bad, that's so pretty.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo. What motor is that?

I think it all came out of a B5 Passat, so the 1.8 turbo? It had four cylinders.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

razorscooter posted:

I think it all came out of a B5 Passat, so the 1.8 turbo? It had four cylinders.
Is that the 4motion transmission? That's the 1.8T, alright, but I'm curious about the gearbox. I haven't a lot of experience with 1.8T Passats (only the W8 [:smithicide:]) but it looks like that trans is a bit weird, I dunno. And what's that hole in the hood? Is that the new gas tank?

edit; That's a VAG transmission, alright. What an inspirational wizard that guy is. :allears:

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 12, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Marauder Stig posted:

Guess what entered Drag Week. :drac:

5 dollars says the guy driving looks like Grandpa Munster

article about the car

http://bangshift.com/general-news/car-features/car-feature-the-176mph-lsr-1970-cadillac-coupe-de-kill-caddy-powered-and-homebuilt/

Another article about what's entered in Drag Week in case anyone's curious (someone entered a Geo Tracker in Unlimited)

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/9-days-hot-rod-drag-week-watch-hell-week/

That Tracker is fully sick. Has to have rails on the back, right? A 90" wheelbase with a 454 and a 150 shot of nitrous should do backflips!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nvm.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I was driving east on the North Cascades Highway in Washington today (from Mazama/Winthrop back to Seattle) and we noticed an uncommon amount of old European cars cruising by. A Mercedes 280SL. A Porsche 356, an old 911. Two red Austin Healeys back to back. Some other curvy old Britishy things we didn't recognize. A Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 (which neither of us could identify in the half-second we saw it). And they all had matching rally-type badging on the side, but we didn't get a clear look because they were all going the other way.

Eventually we stopped at an overlook and found some fellows in an 80-series Land Cruiser with GB plates with the same badging and asked them about it. They were very British and clearly wearied of being asked about it, but we got the story: they were a support vehicle, the drivers were all from England, the cars were shipped over in containers.

Then we saw this:

This is the event: Pan American Friendship Rally 2016. The Aston had other event stickers on it, from '08 and '12 including Panama to Alaska. These guys do a big trip every few years. Look at this loving entry list.

Definitely AI.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

razorscooter posted:

Saw this thing today.
:perfect: I had always wanted to make one of these into RWD, had never thought about doing it that way.

scuz posted:

Is that the 4motion transmission? That's the 1.8T, alright, but I'm curious about the gearbox. I haven't a lot of experience with 1.8T Passats (only the W8 [:smithicide:]) but it looks like that trans is a bit weird, I dunno. And what's that hole in the hood? Is that the new gas tank?

edit; That's a VAG transmission, alright. What an inspirational wizard that guy is. :allears:
Looks like a VAG 4wd transmission, he must have had it laying around. I'd always planned on using the acme adapters kit with a Toyota trans if I wanted a RWD VW engine

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
The FWD version of the passat and A4 would have had that transmission with the engine in front of the front axle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Timmy Cruise posted:

The FWD version of the passat and A4 would have had that transmission with the engine in front of the front axle.
Yeah, probably an 01E? They're supposed to be very tough.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it's already been posted, I apologize. But in the spirit of the thread title itself, here is what Fury Road looked like before they added CGI. (THEY DIDN'T FUCKIN' ADD MUCH)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Welp. Now I have to watch mad max again.

Thanks.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Phy posted:

If it's already been posted, I apologize. But in the spirit of the thread title itself, here is what Fury Road looked like before they added CGI. (THEY DIDN'T FUCKIN' ADD MUCH)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

:perfect:

Next car I get might have to be a V8...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

Welp. Now I have to watch mad max again.

Thanks.

I dvr'd it when it came on one of the movie channels a month ago and it's been getting some pretty high rotation while I work on things or clean the house. Such a loving great film.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

I dvr'd it when it came on one of the movie channels a month ago and it's been getting some pretty high rotation while I work on things or clean the house. Such a loving great film.

I was honestly expecting a decent action movie. It turned out to be a legitimately GREAT loving movie.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
It seems like everyone I know either loved it or hated it. The haters I've talked to primary complaint is "Well they went one direction, turned around and ended up right where they started." all while ignoring the intricate world building, amazing practical effects, and glorious cinematography.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That argument is so stupid. Here, let's try some others:

"All they did was plow into an iceberg and sink, and everyone knew it would happen." ~Titanic

"3 loving movies for that? They just walked to a mountain and chucked in a piece of jewlery!" ~Fellowship of the Ring series

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

I was honestly expecting a decent action movie. It turned out to be a legitimately GREAT loving movie.

We fellate the gently caress out of that movie around here because we're the exact target audience, but it goes beyond a "car guy" movie. My wife went to see it with me and then a few weeks later, we went out with three other couples to get dinner and a movie. Me and another guy were hyping up seeing Mad Max to the two dudes who hadn't seen it, and my wife convinced the girls that we should all just go see it together. We did, and everyone loved it. Even the distinctly non-car people.

2015 was insanely good for movies in general but Mad Max was head and shoulders above the pack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrYenko posted:

This was where I was when I saw it. Figured it'd be good fun... but it was loving epic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Best part of the deployment was when the naval outdoor theater got us Mad Max a few weeks early.

I spent 100% of my free time watching it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some friends of ours are taking their 92 Celica on a $1000 car challenge much like our bachelor party.

The only difference is, theirs started off as a $400 car and then they painted it.

Not bad for a garage paint job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This trailer is better than most movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only issues with mad max is the ridiculous tone mapping they did to it. Looking at the pre-processed stunts it wouldn't have been any better to do zero processing (solid white sky is pretty bad to look at in a theater), but they should have gone for something in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xzzy posted:

My only issues with mad max is the ridiculous tone mapping they did to it. Looking at the pre-processed stunts it wouldn't have been any better to do zero processing (solid white sky is pretty bad to look at in a theater), but they should have gone for something in the middle.

The much-storied black and white version came up in the chat thread the other day. I looked for news on it and apparently the Germans are getting a box set on their Amazon that includes it, so it exists, it's coming, and it's my fervent hope and prayer that we get it before the end of the year.