Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

jigglemaster7 posted:

I dont get why everybody complains about this, the shits just kind of bent it doesnt affect the performance whatsoever

Because not long after that, this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

revmoo posted:

I'm seriously eyeing the Cat S60 (if they manage to root it) and that thing is like 3/4" thick. Thick is good, gives you something to grip on to. I hate this trend with thin phones and rounded bezels so they slip right out of your hand.

Has a FLIR camera as well.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

theres lint in my hole

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Because not long after that, this happens.

Ankler lightning cables are so much better designed than the standard apple design

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Macasaurus posted:

theres lint in my hole

Mind if I tongue it off ?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Mind if I tongue it off ?

I would suggest removing it with some canned air, but dad gay. so what. huffed it all.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Smythe posted:

I would suggest removing it with some canned air, but dad gay. so what. huffed it all.

You probated me for a week smythe, for a GBS post

Are you ashamed of yourself ? You should be

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

rear end cobra posted:

It should have a floppy disk drive imo

Windows still reserves A: and B: for 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives. They're coming back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
They are skipped by default, but I wouldn't say they are reserved. My DVD writer is set to A:, which is appropriate because it's basically obsolete too. I am not brave enough to set my OS drive to A: because you know some badly written piece of software would just gently caress me up.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Why do anderoid people get so freaking angry about iphones all the time?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

The older USB connectors were very bad from a mechanical perspective and also some of the horrible made in china cables would use the wrong resistance which could burn out the charging device.

All the above problems got fixed with the never USB-C standard.

Aren't like nearly 99% of currently available usb c accessories out of spec chinese garbage? There was some google engineer who got a bug up his butt about this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NihilismNow posted:

Has a FLIR camera as well.

Ok this is kind of cool

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

revmoo posted:

Exactly how thin does a phone need to be exactly? I just measured my phone with a set of calipers and it's 9.6mm (0.38") thick. It has wireless charging and a 3500mAH battery. If anything, I'd prefer a thicker phone because it can be hard to hold up something so thin during phone calls.

EDIT: Not to mention, the addon QI mats for phones go inside the battery case. They're literally paper-thin.
I have a 6p and lol if you care about the relative size of your phone.

My phone can be used as a loving self defense weapon! :smug:

thathonkey posted:

seconding anker. their charging stuff is great and lasts longer/works just as good as the apple ones

I got my first anker about a two months ago and it's great! For half the price of some poo poo at target I get a usb that doesn't break within a month of moderately heavy usage!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

Aren't like nearly 99% of currently available usb c accessories out of spec chinese garbage? There was some google engineer who got a bug up his butt about this

It's probably half and half, but just make sure Benson gave it a 5 star review and you're good to go.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreddout posted:

I got my first anker about a two months ago and it's great! For half the price of some poo poo at target I get a usb that doesn't break within a month of moderately heavy usage!

The powerline cables are more expensive than options such as Amazon certified cables but you can often find them online for much less than the ~$20 price.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

why do eagles fans get so mad about cowboys fans

why do xbox fans get so mad at playstation fans

why do vegans get so mad at normal people

why do hillary fans get so mad at trump fans

why do rap fans get so mad at country fans

why do america fans get so mad at french fans

why do car fans get so mad at bike fans

why does penn state get so mad at ohio state

skub/anti-skub, etc

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

Lol'ing at the guy who loves SD cards so much in tyool 2016. hey bud,
2005 callin it wants its sandisk back. He thinks he left some really good eminem mp3s on there.

lots of people dont really care that much about buying the latest gadgets.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

It doesn't even matter what for. Extrapolating from a lack of a need on your end to a universal lack of said need is unnecessarily narrow-minded.

It really is the goon way.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i went round my friend's new houseshare the other day and there's a CRT in the living room LOL!!!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

I assume no one in this thread would actually get mad at someone for using an iphone. Everybody has different things they need from a phone, and I'm not going to second guess someone if they put "trendy with the young people" at the top.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

etalian posted:

Ankler lightning cables are so much better designed than the standard apple design

I demand that all of my wiring be bullet proof.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'm the license fee enforcing DRM chip on a loving cable.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

"Apple got rid of the headphone jack" sounds like a jaunty ditty sung by a barbershop quartet.

Or the very timely title to a new Amazon bestseller...
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/774643634050215937

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

okay, which of you motherfuckers is chuck tingle?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Germstore posted:

okay, which of you motherfuckers is chuck tingle?

Spiritually? All of us!

*Pounds you in the butt*

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
the next iphone better be entirely amoled display and zero bezel with a fingerprint reader hidden beneath the display

i also think it might be made out of ceramic, they're trialing it in the new apple watch

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I hope the next iphone after this is just apple trying to pass off their lovely watch as an iphone to sell it to people

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

why isnt david bowie in that pic :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

etalian posted:

Literally anything is so much better designed than the standard apple anything deisgn

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lastgirl posted:

why isnt david bowie in that pic :colbert:

he returned to his home planet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Literally anything is so much better designed than the standard apple anything deisgn

People always brag about the Genius of apple but they can't design robust adapter cables.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

etalian posted:

People always brag about the Genius of apple but they can't design robust adapter cables.

this never would've happen if steve jo

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

etalian posted:

They're brilliantly designed...

... to wear out so you have to spend more to buy replacements, which conveniently always ends up with money in Apple's pockets.

They have a pretty perverse incentive here.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 11, 2016

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I own AAPL stock it's cool

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Love is like a bomb baby c'mon get it on
Livin' like a lover with a red iPhone

Ok, so in the count your blessings department, I'll take a frayed cable over this horror show:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/09/09/florida-mans-vehicle-catches-fire-after-charging-galaxy-note-7-explodes.html

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

etalian posted:

Apple is okay at integration, but their actual engineering is crap. Their R&D budget is somewhere around 5%, which shows how little they value actual innovation. Most of the good tech they own is stuff that was developed but DARPA, acquired from SRI, or elsewhere. Apple makes their money from good marketing, not good engineering.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

canpakes posted:

1. Apple didn't make a "proprietary headphone jack."

2. They removed a garbage "standard" that dates back the mid 1800s.wireless headphones are the new standard now because Apple said so (and this is good)

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the 1/8" jack lasted so long because it was a simple design that did its job as well as anyone could ever expect? Or that maybe some people would rather deal with a headphone cord than have another battery to worry about?

quote:

4. You can still listen to headphones while charging you dipshits, Just not with your fail tangled corded gaming headphones

You can't listen to headphones while charging your headphones (at least, not with the wireless buds Apple has been showing off).

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i hope for the next iPhone apple gets rid of op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
when i think of why its weird to get rid of headphone jacks i think more about my old rear end parents. they regularly get new phones because boomers are spoiled but they're too old to give a poo poo about things like bluetooth much less pay serious monies for headphones that use it. perhaps a phone without a jack could prove a convenient wall for them to just stop upgrading until they physically need to.

tl;dr too much new poo poo could provide old people with a reason to relax spending

• Locked thread