Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Somebody actually liked that pile of poo poo? What the gently caress?

I said something good about one page of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Identity Crisis owned

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Identity Crisis owned

Actually, it didn't

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I said something good about one page of the book.

No you didn't. Meltzer intentionally drags out the agony of Tim Drake's father's plight over at least three pages directly, from Jack's phone call to his death, so that the reader can really appreciate that no one in the Justice League is able to save his father from a confused drunkard with a razor-sharp boomerang, and then dedicates at least another page or two to the denouement of "oh, just because you dress like a Bat, you can't teleport to the scene of a crime and stop it from happening." You undersell the page count dedicated to something you described as Tim Drake's most important thematic moment as a character -- when Batman fails to stop Jack Drake from becoming Thomas Wayne. And I'm with you on that being important, if not with you on it being well-executed, well-advised, or enjoyable.

Identity Crisis knows precisely what it wants to do. The problem is that what it wants to do sucks, and it does it badly.

Crion fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 11, 2016

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crion fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 11, 2016

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Actually, it didn't

I thought it was a compelling whodunit. A real page turner if you will. I should point out that I generally hate superhero comic books and the people who read them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People like jacking off their hate boners over Identity Crisis, and ignore that it has really good art and dialogue. There's some stupid poo poo in there, but Butter Pecan, and "I bet Batman never does this to his parents." when Superman hassles his mom for paying for her Daily Planet subscription when she didn't need to, is some of the most heartfelt stuff you'll find in a super hero book.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh thank god I thought my sense of taste might've been off for disliking that movie

I have bad news for you.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Die Laughing posted:

People like jacking off their hate boners over Identity Crisis, and ignore that it has really good art and dialogue. There's some stupid poo poo in there, but Butter Pecan, and "I bet Batman never does this to his parents." when Superman hassles his mom for paying for her Daily Planet subscription when she didn't need to, is some of the most heartfelt stuff you'll find in a super hero book.

Rags Morales is unable to keep even a boot tread consistent between two issues of the book (kind of important in a murder mystery! people thought that was a clue! it wasn't!) and every single emotional moment in that story is hilarious garbage. Superman harassing his mother for subscription payments for the Daily Planet is a bad joke, not a sincere humanizing moment, "I bet Batman never does this to his parents" is cutesy garbage that doesn't even make sense unless you know his parents are dead, and absolutely nothing in that rape and murder extravaganza is more heartfelt than picking a relationship chat at random in a Geoff Johns Green Lantern or Flash comic. And Geoff Johns is a bad writer who just slams that motherfuckin' FAMILIES ARE IMPORTANT button and hopes for the best.

The only thing that comes close to being tragically heartfelt in IC is the scene with Ralph Dibny on the rooftop to open issue two, I think it is, and that's undercut by the villain being a caarrrrAAAAzzzYYYY woman with a flamethrower.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah, that's what I dug about it. The rapport between the JL is top notch stuff. SH comics nearly always have horrific dialogue and lazy characterization so IC was compelling in that regard

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
We should be entirely upfront about the fact that Identity Crisis is fundamentally the story of a woman who killed her best friend with a flamethrower in order to get her ex-husband to talk to her again, because women are crazy. The story also introduced the fact that said best friend was raped by a supervillain in her past, as a red herring. That supervillain would then go on to threaten to rape all the teenage and early twenties heroines in the DC universe, and hire hookers dressed like said heroines to gently caress and beat. This is all canon. Doctor Light is a fascinating case study in utterly hideous decisions.

Crion fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 11, 2016

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

And the way people responded to that was hilarious. You'd think Sue Dibny was a real person and they were friends with her.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

And the way people responded to that was hilarious. You'd think Sue Dibny was a real person and they were friends with her.

Frankly, it's hosed up that they weren't more graphic, in order to maximally troll those lame nerds. After all, the most important thing in the world is making sure that no one empathizes with a woman in a story, especially when it involves sexual violence.

Crion fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 11, 2016

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

Frankly, it's hosed up that they weren't more graphic, in order to maximally troll those lame nerds. As it is, forums user "Y Kant Ozma Diet" can only make lovely posts fantasizing about how much worse an already terrible comic could be.

Sue Dibny deserved better and your shrill exasperated post has showed me the light. Now slip into your Superman onesie and go to bed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Comic book fans have successfully convinced me that comic books are not worth reading.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Oh hell yes, both versions of that post got preserved

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Comic strips are where it's at. Newspaper Spiderman for life yo.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

Oh hell yes, both versions of that post got preserved

I believe you're on your third iteration of that post. It keeps getting worse but keep chugging along little dude!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I believe you're on your third iteration of that post. It keeps getting worse but keep chugging along little dude!

I'm just glad there's even one thing about comic books you're willing to assess critically, regardless of how questionably edited it is.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

I'm just glad there's even one thing about comic books you're willing to assess critically, regardless of how questionably edited it is.

Crion as in Crying. Crying for Sue Dibny (RIP)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Identity Crisis is anti-storytelling.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I still chuckle when I think of the Justice League vs. Deathstroke-fight. It's amazing how terrible it is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There are good comic books out there. For DC, I find I like their less-known heroes and series a lot more than their big guys. Doom Patrol, The Question, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Demon Knights, etc.

I also like Aquaman a lot, although his series vary wildly in quality.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crion posted:

No you didn't. You said something good about three pages

Well in that case I am a monster and must be stopped.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Crion as in Crying. Crying for Sue Dibny (RIP)

Yeah, a woman being raped and brutally killed just for shock value is simply a sign of deep and mature story-telling.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Lol this is loving hilariously dumb and my advice is to stop doubling down on it immediately and just like go outside and forget this embarrassing series of posts happened, start fresh tomorrow, etc

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I guess I just imagined the fact there was a huge thread in GBS all about Identity Crisis and how good it was. I don't particularly care about it now because my tastes have changed but at the time I really enjoyed it and any who says differently is a liar.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The best thing to come out of Identity Crisis was the death of Billy Batson.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
From Peanut Gallery: That art sucks!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I guess it's canon then that Batman's black panties are made of leather. Kinky.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

From Peanut Gallery: That art sucks!

It's Kyle Baker in clowning around mode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kyle Baker is severely underrated. His Plastic Man was ahead of its time.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

I guess it's canon then that Batman's black panties are made of leather. Kinky.

at least on his fancy funeral batsuit

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Comic book fans have successfully convinced me that comic books are not worth reading.

You didn't need comic book fans to tell you that. The power was within you all along.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hoooooly poo poo, did this page just say that Dr. Light raped Billy Batson before/after he was killed?

And that's really dumb Batman 'let me complain that my suit is sweaty' writing. :downs:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kyle Baker is complaining about that era's DC, yes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

Hoooooly poo poo, did this page just say that Dr. Light raped Billy Batson before/after he was killed?

And that's really dumb Batman 'let me complain that my suit is sweaty' writing. :downs:

It's the dude writing Plastic Man parodying the poo poo going on in the DCU at the time. It's like the 4th wall shtick everyone loves from Deadpool but better executed because Kyle Baker rules.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's Kyle Baker in clowning around mode.

Ahhhhhh that makes sense, I gotta stop shooting posts from the hip.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's why I've been saying his run on Plastic Man was ahead of its time. But now DC's content with just making Harley Quinn books. Eel O'Brian can't catch a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

A Plastic Man movie would own

• Locked thread