Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's come to my attention people aren't playing fireball builds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WR4rmg55i4 Also included me dying to the boss trash and playing terribly.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
PSA to remember to corrupt your red maps the first time you run them, otherwise you won't get the atlas bonus!!!

also: currently broken even on prophecy coins. Was below this morning, now I'm about even. Burned close to 175 coins today. Got a bunch of monstrous treasures, a jewelers touch and a bunch of other random cool stuff. Almost done with a bunch of challenges too.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

It's come to my attention people aren't playing fireball builds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WR4rmg55i4 Also included me dying to the boss trash and playing terribly.

Seems fun, but it doesn't have the same dramatic effect of the nazi war sirens. AKA fireblast build.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ugh, I'm mid-20s and ED just feels so slow to level with even in a 3L. I know it gets better because I used it in Talisman but still.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

That's because I'm doing Artic Breath totems instead. Got a 5-link Site Sire of Shards, and it's just exploding skulls and chilled ground everywhere.

Your build is cool too, I guess.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm going for RF totems and so far is going pretty nice, up to high 80s now. I have 5.5k hp and for mos things I'm fine, but I suspect I'm about to hit a wall due to my terrible (~10%) phys mitigation. Mostly I get away with it by being a totems build that can run and dodge most things, but phys that's hard to dodge just wrecks my poo poo.

I can't use a helmet for armour as I'm wearing a doedre's scorn and boots are out too as I'm wearing windscream. I've already switched to a chaos golem and I've found I actually get more out of a granite flask than a basalt because my base armour is so terrible. What else can I do? I'm using a shield currently but it has life and resists more than armour. I do have an aegis aurora lying around which I think has the best block, but it doesn't give that much armour either and no health. Then I could maybe try for some + block on jewels to get the most of it?

Alternately I could buy a rare shield with health and armour, would be a better overall option? Using the max res from aegis aurora would be nice but I don't particularly need it right now. I do have a decent amount of + armour (~100%) from the tree, so if I can just find some base armour it should be alright I think.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
rumi's for block?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I assume you're rolling with soul mantle as your chestpiece? Might consider dropping that for an armor chest if you're really having that much trouble with phys mitigation. Yeah, the damage boost is ridiculous, but the curses are a pain to deal with and you can get ~30% totem life from that one unique jewel to mostly make up for losing the 50% from the chest.

Or pick up a lioneye's remorse tower shield for 30% block, ~1500 armor, and ~100 life. No resists to speak of, but those can be taken care of with jewelry.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
a little bit of armor won't do much to help your phys mitigation. the really big phys damage hits will go right through a mediocre amount of armor - you want either conversion stuff like the 15% taken as cold essence, lightning coil, or taste of hate. from the wiki (emphasis mine):

quote:

Unlike resistance, armour has diminishing returns as its effectiveness is based on the magnitude of incoming physical damage (multiplied by 10). As a result, armour is most effective in mitigating small hits (i.e. 50% and better reduction for initial damage less than a tenth of the armor value) and least effective in mitigating very large hits (where its absolute reduction can at most be one tenth of the armor value).
if your problem is mitigating big phys nukes, more hp/coil/ToH/conversion/enfeeble curse/block is really the best way to mitigate that.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Would be sweet if anyone could throw a guild invite my way, ign SebKrools

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sushibandit posted:

Anyone ever seen a (viable) build based on the shield charge skill? Was thinking about doing a gimmick build to level with a friend who's bad at the game and the idea of a "no brakes on this train" character that just uses shield bash is kind of appealing.

Of course if it's a complete waste of time I won't bother, but "every skill is viable", right? Thinking of a marauder with unbreaking/unblinking/unstoppable and a shitload of shield, armor and physical dmg/speed nodes, with a decent amount of health. Something maybe along these lines?

skill tree

Except I know I'm terrible at building trees from scratch, so pointers are appreciated.

Edit
Thanks, will check it out.

I did a hipster poison shield charge juggernaut with breath of the council last league if you wan't me to expand on it, but in all honesty facebreaker scales damage better, even if it isn't as tanky.

I ended up respeccing it to hipster 1h poisonquake around 86-88 because it worked better that way in harder content.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Shield charge is fantastic for leveling literally any character. Get a meginords, any roll facebreakers and a few pieces of phys jewelry and it'll take you to merciless dried lake with zero skill point investment. I did it on a goddamn witch last league.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm having quite a bit of fun with the game so far. Gotten my first character to the Cruel Act 2 and still rolling.

The only major thing that annoys me is that you can't get all the gems in one place.
Maybe I don't see some sort of reason there but I don't understand why they didn't just make all (vendor) gems available to all characters from one place.
Finding the right gems from across 4 different vendors and different character gem pools and then finding some sort of logical way to stash them so that you know what uses what gems exactly is SUCH a major pain in the rear end.

EDIT: Can I just have a Currency Stash Tab but for Gems instead? Please? I'll pay money for it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Simple solution: Don't Hoard Gems

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I'm having quite a bit of fun with the game so far. Gotten my first character to the Cruel Act 2 and still rolling.

The only major thing that annoys me is that you can't get all the gems in one place.
Maybe I don't see some sort of reason there but I don't understand why they didn't just make all (vendor) gems available to all characters from one place.
Finding the right gems from across 4 different vendors and different character gem pools and then finding some sort of logical way to stash them so that you know what uses what gems exactly is SUCH a major pain in the rear end.

EDIT: Can I just have a Currency Stash Tab but for Gems instead? Please? I'll pay money for it.

Before 2.0, you just had quest rewards and drops for gems. Want a specific one? You better buck up and roll whatever you want that rewards it, or brave trade chat to find one for a chaos.

It's mostly a relic of the game and they've been shedding some older design decisions as time goes once since 2.0 hit, give or take. They're still hung up on ~player interaction~ so it's unlikely that a single character will ever gain access to all gems.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
i actually think they'll change it later, since even they must understand its annoyin as gently caress

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Tora can be so lazy sometimes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

whypick1 posted:

Simple solution: Don't Hoard Gems

I have an entire stash tab half full of gems because I'm worried about this :(

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Go home poe, you're drunk.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here's two videos of my very fragile CI Arc Miner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8enCB2OhCvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTII8GDhyfE

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

back in the day you couldnt get some gems until merciless act 3 and you couldnt buy any of them. you get one gem from the library quest, choose wisely

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
What are some cool build ideas for templars I can use to fill out most of my atlas? I've got a dude at 72 and I haven't ascended because I have no idea what I want to do. Is a doomfletch's prism - inquisitor pretty good / cheap enough to start with? And if any one has played one do you have a build I can look at?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dangerdoom volvo posted:

back in the day you couldnt get some gems until merciless act 3 and you couldnt buy any of them. you get one gem from the library quest, choose wisely

Sounds like a poo poo game.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds like a poo poo game.

It was a huge positive change when they finally introduced the vendor mechanic as it is now, obviously there's still some room for improvement.

God, I remember rushing chars through like a3n just to pick up extra gems my build needed, then immediately deleting the gem char. The good support gems weren't available until late in merc and cost 3-5 chaos a piece. As a relic of that era, I have probably a dozen remove only tabs just of skill gems on standard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hauki posted:

It was a huge positive change when they finally introduced the vendor mechanic as it is now, obviously there's still some room for improvement.

God, I remember rushing chars through like a3n just to pick up extra gems my build needed, then immediately deleting the gem char. The good support gems weren't available until late in merc and cost 3-5 chaos a piece. As a relic of that era, I have probably a dozen remove only tabs just of skill gems on standard.

Well, hopefully they'll improve the whole Gem system even more some time soon, cause that literally the only big thing that's annoying me in PoE so far.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ciaphas posted:

I have an entire stash tab half full of gems because I'm worried about this :(

You're in a guild, past like day 2 you can just say "hey can someone get me a Faster Attacks" or whatever. Only save Vaal, quality, or stuff you know you'll need. Plus drop-only gems (Portal, Empower, Enlighten, Enhance)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nezkar posted:

What are some cool build ideas for templars I can use to fill out most of my atlas? I've got a dude at 72 and I haven't ascended because I have no idea what I want to do. Is a doomfletch's prism - inquisitor pretty good / cheap enough to start with? And if any one has played one do you have a build I can look at?

uh but what skills you got right now? you can't just revamp everything at 72

and yeah doomfletch works with inquisitor, just remember to increase your physical damage not elemental

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Besides Vaal and Quality gems, it's not bad to hold onto supports that cost a alch, or commonly used cast when damage taken setup gems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Plus drop-only gems (Portal, Empower, Enlighten, Enhance)

Does anyone know if Neversink's item filter marks those in a special way?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nezkar posted:

My partner's playing flameblast totems and is having a lot of fun with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if Neversink's item filter marks those in a special way?

I think it makes them bigger, like a high quality regular gem.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Detonate Mines and Added Chaos Damage are the other drop-only gems.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does anyone play Scion builds? can't seem to find anyone in the ladder using one, in Perandus league the only good choices were deadeye projectiles and zerk lifesteal and damage.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Could I get a guildinvite? ign is NightfallThuun

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone play Scion builds? can't seem to find anyone in the ladder using one, in Perandus league the only good choices were deadeye projectiles and zerk lifesteal and damage.

Coming back to this game after two years, I'm playing the old Spectral Throw Scion and it's working for me. Not HC viable unless I take more life nodes and get a better computer so I don't chug on bosses, but I probably haven't built her in the best way.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Uh as far as ladder goes I see Ed/cont, caustic arrow and war chief using scion. Like none on hc.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

unprivate your account please, so we can actually see your char and gear

my first char was going to be either ice trapper or arc miner, now im sorta wishing i went arc miner instead. works really well with new boss rooms and essence mechanics: prep all your mines beforehand, and have 9 crit arcs all rail the rare/unique mob all at once

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Can someone explain how the Atlas thing works and if I should be doing anything different when mapping? The wiki page doesn't explain it very well. Also someone in chat the other day said to corrupt "red" maps before running them the first time. What does this mean, what is a red map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Wafflecopper posted:

Can someone explain how the Atlas thing works and if I should be doing anything different when mapping? The wiki page doesn't explain it very well. Also someone in chat the other day said to corrupt "red" maps before running them the first time. What does this mean, what is a red map?
Red maps are tier 11-15 maps. The icon of the map itself is red.

• Locked thread