Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

Why would the Enterprise have done barrel rolls?

I don't know, why did everything out of this franchise since DS9 ended turn out the way it has? The TOS remasters are pretty inconsistent, some episodes look good and sometimes the new CG Enterprise looks hokey as gently caress because they decided to show it peeling around like an F-16 or something, I'm glad TNG avoided that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You'd do a barrel roll to expose the stronger under shields as your top shields recharge some power.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You could just roll over until optimal time to change which shield takes it, however due to a treaty signed by all space faring races, you're not allowed to deviate from galactic standard down for more than a few moments at a time.

Edit: it's been suggested the treaty eventually expires in the near future, as the future enterprise totally guts a klingon ship from way too far below legal limits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

I don't know, why did everything out of this franchise since DS9 ended turn out the way it has? The TOS remasters are pretty inconsistent, some episodes look good and sometimes the new CG Enterprise looks hokey as gently caress because they decided to show it peeling around like an F-16 or something, I'm glad TNG avoided that.

The only time it did anything remotely like what you're describing was in Doomsday Machine, and even then it looked like something straight out of DS9. The Remasters are fine, I've never understood the insane amount of backlash they've gotten.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The remasters got a lot of backlash? I've heard nothing but good things aside from some TNG S2(?) Mishaps.

Do the ToS Blu-rays also come with the un adultered episodes?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The anecdotes pulled by the Ars Technica writer are ones this thread is familiar with, but The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek does sound like a nice read.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Remasters are fine, I've never understood the insane amount of backlash they've gotten.
Personally, I'd like the option to watch the episodes in the hokey low tech (but at the time decently teched) that I grew up with. Doesn't mean i want all the remasters burned to ash, I just wanna see that sweet 1960s modelship.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The General posted:

The remasters got a lot of backlash? I've heard nothing but good things aside from some TNG S2(?) Mishaps.

S2 was handed off to HTV Illuminate (the original plan was for them to alternate seasons with CBS Digital). After they botched S2, though, CBS digital assumed the workload for all the remaining seasons.

The TNG remasters are by and large excellent, but they sold pretty poorly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FilthyImp posted:

Personally, I'd like the option to watch the episodes in the hokey low tech (but at the time decently teched) that I grew up with. Doesn't mean i want all the remasters burned to ash, I just wanna see that sweet 1960s modelship.

The last DVD season release and the two blu-Ray season releases have both the original version and the remastered versions. You're only stuck with the Remasters if you watch them on streaming services.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The General posted:

Do the ToS Blu-rays also come with the un adultered episodes?

Yes. You can switch back and forth between the two. It can be pretty jarring at times.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My biggest hangup is that it still looks good today. I enjoy it how it was created aside from that episode with the flying pieces of rubber. Those things were ridiculous. Just didn't need an upgrade.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

The TNG remasters are by and large excellent, but they sold pretty poorly.

Part of it is shifting markets, but I also think CBS really dropped the ball hard on the release strategy; they should have started out by refusing to renew any license to air or stream TNG until the Blurays were all released, basically try and make it so that the least time-consuming way to get TNG (legally) would be to get the Blurays.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm just not willing to slap down a thousand dollars for any TV series. That's the problem. All trek series dvd prices were ridiculous.

Edit: looks like the Blu-rays are reasonably priced. May have to actually pick them up.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I celebrated the 50th by doing something I couldn't do during the previous anniversaries--watch a brand new episode of TOS with Star Trek Continue's "Embracing The Winds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMasSzFXaKQ

Another solidly written and performed story by the best of the fan film series. It's a great modernization of the central issue of "Turnabout Intruder"--Starfleet won't let women command starships. This was something which as an issue seemed embarassingly outdated by the 70s and was an awkward final episode for the series. In universe we saw a female captain in Star Trek IV, several in TNG, then we had Voyager of course. And the whole thing was rendered even dumber when the captain of the NX-01 was female in the prequel. So how do you retcon that, and somehow logically explain why in the 23rd century a woman's place isn't commanding a starship?

They do it quite cleverly and address it in a modern way. They continue to advance the story and the characters--their stated goal was to tell the stories of season 4 and 5 and lead up to TMP. Chris Doohan is particularly great channeling his father's Scotty. It doesn't reach the heights of some of their other episodes like "Lolani" but it's still better than a lot of S3 TOS episodes. They say they're going to finish out the next few stories, but if the new fan film guidelines mean this is their swan song, it's a lot better than "Turnabout Intruder"--and fitting since their first vignette was an immediate followup to the ending seconds of that episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The individual TOS blu-rays can be had for $30 each since they just put out a new collected set. I'm also starting to see the TNG sets go down on clearance at brick and mortar stores. I don't think I've paid more than $35 per season yet. The Enterprise blu-rays are the only ones that have remained expensive.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I should watch Continues.

Because holy crap the other fan films are bad.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only time it did anything remotely like what you're describing was in Doomsday Machine, and even then it looked like something straight out of DS9. The Remasters are fine, I've never understood the insane amount of backlash they've gotten.
Yeah. There was a great use of remastering in The Enterprise Incident (if I remember right) when the ship uses a cloaking device to outmaneuver the Romulans. They didn't go overboard with the special effects, either.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Astroman posted:

I celebrated the 50th by doing something I couldn't do during the previous anniversaries--watch a brand new episode of TOS with Star Trek Continue's "Embracing The Winds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMasSzFXaKQ

Another solidly written and performed story by the best of the fan film series. It's a great modernization of the central issue of "Turnabout Intruder"--Starfleet won't let women command starships. This was something which as an issue seemed embarassingly outdated by the 70s and was an awkward final episode for the series. In universe we saw a female captain in Star Trek IV, several in TNG, then we had Voyager of course. And the whole thing was rendered even dumber when the captain of the NX-01 was female in the prequel. So how do you retcon that, and somehow logically explain why in the 23rd century a woman's place isn't commanding a starship?

They do it quite cleverly and address it in a modern way. They continue to advance the story and the characters--their stated goal was to tell the stories of season 4 and 5 and lead up to TMP. Chris Doohan is particularly great channeling his father's Scotty. It doesn't reach the heights of some of their other episodes like "Lolani" but it's still better than a lot of S3 TOS episodes. They say they're going to finish out the next few stories, but if the new fan film guidelines mean this is their swan song, it's a lot better than "Turnabout Intruder"--and fitting since their first vignette was an immediate followup to the ending seconds of that episode.

I hated that episode, since as you mentioned the NX-02 had a female captain and the idea that Number One from the Cage/Menagerie was a real thing in the lore meant that she would have to have been acting captain at various points. All they had to do was make her a female Tellarite to fix the problem since you could just blame Tellarite society for the issues that persist centuries after humanity moved past them, it even fits with the female commander's record of protests over any kind of criticism.

I do agree that the Scotty and Checkov "B" plot is awesome though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astroman posted:

I haven't actually watched one of these fan productions before, so I just now sat down and watched this one on your recommendation. And you know what? It's surprisingly well done. But I have big quibbles.

My big problem is that the story is incomplete, in several regards. The way they resolved the main question is a total cop-out, of course. And we, the audience, never even get to hear any details of the incident on Nimbus III. We get the set-up, then a bit of debate among the characters, then... no resolution. Similarly, we never do find out what actually happened to the USS Hood. What caused the original accident, and what the HELL happened where it suddenly all sprang back to life and almost killed Scotty and Uhura? We never actually find out.

The character of Scotty doesn't come off looking very good. You can't beam out because the shields have come up? Well, bring them down then! You're an engineer, you're in Main Engineering, there's got to be SOME way to break poo poo! Don't just STAND there!

A minor point, and some would disagree, but they misused a musical leitmotif: that's the USS Constellation theme, not a generic dead starship theme.

However, I did appreciate the little references, callbacks and and Easter eggs, even if they were spread a little thick. Commodore Wesley, the origin of the prefix code, the Seventh Guarantee, an early use of the deflector dish as a big gun, "perhaps someday a Garrett will command an Enterprise."

Also, I laughed out loud when I recognized the computer voice. I had no idea she was involved. :haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh yeah, I forgot the computer voice. That was loving ACES!!

Like I said, it's not their strongest episode. It's a bit heavy handed, but so was TOS, and they are trying for some authentic 1969 Star Trek verisimilitude.

I think some of the incompleteness of the story is because stuff like The Hood is going to be addressed in future episodes. There's definitely some arc stuff going on with this show. Not sure about the Nimbus III incident, but I think it may just be there to show what are janky officer Garrett was, and could be filed under "there's a bunch of adventures other starships have too that we never saw on screen." All we need to know is something bad happened and this officer is very evasive, and her evasiveness immediately took Kirk aback--saying "I don't want to talk about it" is not Something Starship Captains Do and a huge red flag.

If you thought this episode was good, watch "Lolani." It's one of the best ST stories in any medium.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bryan Fuller has said that Balance of Terror is 'a touchstone' for Discovery. Romulan War confirmed?

http://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/774062077811929090

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can only imagine he's talking about tone - anything involving the Romulans shortly before TOS would be against everything that's ever been established and the entire plot of Balance of Terror.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

I can only imagine he's talking about tone - anything involving the Romulans shortly before TOS would be against everything that's ever been established and the entire plot of Balance of Terror.

Like that would stop them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A good trek show runner would know that TOS was the best way to introduce the Romulans. To show what they look like earlier in the timeline would be stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Bryan Fuller has said that Balance of Terror is 'a touchstone' for Discovery. Romulan War confirmed?

http://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/774062077811929090

I think he's using the "benchmark of quality" definition of touchstone.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or a feeling of intrigue and cold war tension. There's no real reason to suspect the show will be directly about Romulans.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I really enjoyed ENT's "Fortunate Son," mainly for the exploration of the setting's past and the lovely tech at the beginning of human interstellar travel. The warp 1.x ships that take years or decades to complete a given cargo run are a rad idea and I hope they do more stuff with Mayweather's background growing up in that. The episode did a better job communicating the frontier attitude of those people than TNG/DS9/VOY did in communicating the same thing about human settlers and the Maquis. It's basically the same idea (out in unknown space, months or years from other human contact or help, developing that frontier rugged individualism), but the settlers and Masquis in later centuries always just seemed like petty assholes in a lot of the plots. The "Boomers" in ENT at least aren't trading a literal utopia just for the right to go it alone and be different. They're also doing necessary work, so everything about them is a bit less self-absorbed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Railing Kill posted:

I really enjoyed ENT's "Fortunate Son," mainly for the exploration of the setting's past and the lovely tech at the beginning of human interstellar travel. The warp 1.x ships that take years or decades to complete a given cargo run are a rad idea and I hope they do more stuff with Mayweather's background growing up in that. The episode did a better job communicating the frontier attitude of those people than TNG/DS9/VOY did in communicating the same thing about human settlers and the Maquis. It's basically the same idea (out in unknown space, months or years from other human contact or help, developing that frontier rugged individualism), but the settlers and Masquis in later centuries always just seemed like petty assholes in a lot of the plots. The "Boomers" in ENT at least aren't trading a literal utopia just for the right to go it alone and be different. They're also doing necessary work, so everything about them is a bit less self-absorbed.

Those guys reminded me a little of that insane primitivist lady. The boomers were all against faster warp because they liked taking years to get anywhere as it was part of their culture. They were too stupid to figure out it just means they could go on farther runs. But rarg, change.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Powered Descent posted:

I haven't actually watched one of these fan productions before, so I just now sat down and watched this one on your recommendation. And you know what? It's surprisingly well done. But I have big quibbles.

My big problem is that the story is incomplete, in several regards. The way they resolved the main question is a total cop-out, of course. And we, the audience, never even get to hear any details of the incident on Nimbus III. We get the set-up, then a bit of debate among the characters, then... no resolution. Similarly, we never do find out what actually happened to the USS Hood. What caused the original accident, and what the HELL happened where it suddenly all sprang back to life and almost killed Scotty and Uhura? We never actually find out.

The character of Scotty doesn't come off looking very good. You can't beam out because the shields have come up? Well, bring them down then! You're an engineer, you're in Main Engineering, there's got to be SOME way to break poo poo! Don't just STAND there!

A minor point, and some would disagree, but they misused a musical leitmotif: that's the USS Constellation theme, not a generic dead starship theme.

However, I did appreciate the little references, callbacks and and Easter eggs, even if they were spread a little thick. Commodore Wesley, the origin of the prefix code, the Seventh Guarantee, an early use of the deflector dish as a big gun, "perhaps someday a Garrett will command an Enterprise."

Also, I laughed out loud when I recognized the computer voice. I had no idea she was involved. :haw:

Yeah, it really bugged me that they left so much unresolved. From the way Garrett was acting, she almost seemed suspicious.

Maybe I just blocked the Turnabout Intruder out of my head, but there aren't any female captains by Kirk's time? Really? I pretty much assumed there would be. Women are captains and admirals in the TNG era all the time and it's no big deal. Is there some throwaway line in that episode that says there aren't any?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, it really bugged me that they left so much unresolved. From the way Garrett was acting, she almost seemed suspicious.

Maybe I just blocked the Turnabout Intruder out of my head, but there aren't any female captains by Kirk's time? Really? I pretty much assumed there would be. Women are captains and admirals in the TNG era all the time and it's no big deal. Is there some throwaway line in that episode that says there aren't any?

It's the major motivating factor of the episodes villain. She wanted a command but couldn't get one, she alleges it was because she was a woman (and while the episode suggests it also has a lot to do with her being batshit insane it doesn't really dispute her allegation that women aren't allowed starship commands), and she is prepared to do evil super science to get one, but because she is a woman is a weak pussy who can't handle the pressures of command and becomes hysterical.

"Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women" could definitely be interpreted in a way which allows for women to be starship captains in the TOS era, but that seems to me to be clearly opposite to the intent of the line and indeed the episode as a whole. If there were a female starship captain out there, why doesn't Kirk, or the writer, just respond to this accusation by pointing out Captain Tits McGee of the USS Token? Moreover the episode is predicated on the assumption that women aren't fit for command. Unless there's something I've forgotten in the movies, women commanding starships is strictly a 90s Trek thing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

skasion posted:

Unless there's something I've forgotten in the movies, women commanding starships is strictly a 90s Trek thing.

While she isn't actually a Captain, Saavik is clearly taking command tests at the beginning of Wrath of Khan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn't they lump the Phase II development costs in with TMP and that's why it cost so much?
The main issue was that they kept starting and stopping development of the film over a period of like 6 years, then Paramount booked it for Christmas 1979. I had no idea that it was such a rushed mess that the print they sent to the premiere had not even been seen by the director and was still wet from being made.

They had a bunch of delays related to the increasingly large scope of the effects budget and hiring people who were really not up to the task of getting this done at a reasonable time. At a certain point Paramount was stuck with them and had to keep shoveling cash at them so they could make their locked-in premiere date without having to shell out another $20 million or so to the theater chains as a penalty for not releasing on time.

Based on cast interviews everyone hated the production of that film. There were a lot of script issues as well, which isn't surprising. The final script was finished very late in production and the actors were not thrilled about how they had little knowledge of what was going on with the script. That and many scenes, due to the effects not being visible to the cast, had to be acted in a certain way.

But in the end only a handful of people were happy with how TMP turned out. Its failure could have killed the franchise then but I think just primarily from fan demand it managed to become a success. However they slashed the budget and completely replaced all of the production people before WOK was worked on.

I'm not sure what is crazier, that TMP actually made it to its premiere without anyone seeing the final cut or WOK's script being written in 10 days by Nick Meyer after they once again completely ran out of time and had all of these competing scripts which he had to combine, and somehow it still turned into a great film.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The main issue was that they kept starting and stopping development of the film over a period of like 6 years, then Paramount booked it for Christmas 1979. I had no idea that it was such a rushed mess that the print they sent to the premiere had not even been seen by the director and was still wet from being made.

They had a bunch of delays related to the increasingly large scope of the effects budget and hiring people who were really not up to the task of getting this done at a reasonable time. At a certain point Paramount was stuck with them and had to keep shoveling cash at them so they could make their locked-in premiere date without having to shell out another $20 million or so to the theater chains as a penalty for not releasing on time.

Based on cast interviews everyone hated the production of that film. There were a lot of script issues as well, which isn't surprising. The final script was finished very late in production and the actors were not thrilled about how they had little knowledge of what was going on with the script. That and many scenes, due to the effects not being visible to the cast, had to be acted in a certain way.

But in the end only a handful of people were happy with how TMP turned out. Its failure could have killed the franchise then but I think just primarily from fan demand it managed to become a success. However they slashed the budget and completely replaced all of the production people before WOK was worked on.

I'm not sure what is crazier, that TMP actually made it to its premiere without anyone seeing the final cut or WOK's script being written in 10 days by Nick Meyer after they once again completely ran out of time and had all of these competing scripts which he had to combine, and somehow it still turned into a great film.

I'm laughing at the Paramount superior-intellect.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I swear any time I read books about film production you truly realize how incompetent producers are in Hollywood. I will say that it feels like Harve Bennett really got it, although I didn't realize that he left for STVI because Paramount lost interest in making his Star Trek Academy prequel and they couldn't guarantee him it would get made after TUC came out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Since WOK and Beyond feel like the top tier of Star Trek movies that don't involve nuclear wessels, I guess panic-writing the script is a solid plan at all times.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Undiscovered Country, too.

Limitations breed creativity.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Unless there's something I've forgotten in the movies, women commanding starships is strictly a 90s Trek thing.

The captain of USS Saratoga in Star Trek 4 is a woman. Also, Trila(?) Scott was a starship captain as of TNG Conspiracy in early 1988.

I dunno, Turnabout Intruder is so embarrassingly regressive I'm completely fine with it being straight-up contradicted or ignored by later works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having lots of time to write the script means you are able to second guess your ideas and rework them until they suck out loud.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/MicaBurton/status/774668950487445504

The most dapper of weddings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We have evolved beyond the need for "friends outside of work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

The warp 1.x ships that take years or decades to complete a given cargo run are a rad idea and I hope they do more stuff with Mayweather's background growing up in that.

I have bad news...