Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Hasslefree just put up their first KS, which is for a series of characters that each come in 3 versions - properly attired for the role, pinup, and :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hfminis/kev-white-does-matt-dixon-female-fantasy-miniature :nws: obviously

The gently caress is wrong with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NinjaDebugger posted:

Someone asked why people would want nude minis at all, and I said I could use them to practice sculpting clothes onto if I continue with that class I took at GenCon and oh god now I'm considering getting nude minis what the gently caress is wrong with me, HELP.

The hasslefree guy has said before that he sculpts all his minis from nude up and so the nude versions are mostly because he already has done the work and he knows people will buy them. Doesn't really make it any less skeezy but still.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The hasslefree guy has said before that he sculpts all his minis from nude up and so the nude versions are mostly because he already has done the work and he knows people will buy them. Doesn't really make it any less skeezy but still.

What, nipples and all?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I thought Tryke was cute at least. Hilarious the winter barbarian wouldn't look out of place as the pinup version either.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kwyndig posted:

What, nipples and all?

well if he didn't do the nipples how would he know where to mold the nipple impressions through their shirts?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cassa posted:

I thought Tryke was cute at least. Hilarious the winter barbarian wouldn't look out of place as the pinup version either.

Unfortunately, they're not selling background scenery, so no one will get the joke.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

NTRabbit posted:

Hasslefree just put up their first KS, which is for a series of characters that each come in 3 versions - properly attired for the role, pinup, and :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hfminis/kev-white-does-matt-dixon-female-fantasy-miniature :nws: obviously
As a major complaint, on the mini that they show as an example, the face doesn't even look anywhere close to the artwork. Seems like the sculptor spent too much time on the body...

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Maybe he played varsity basketball before deciding to accept the scholarship to the magic college

That wizard is totally palming that invisible basketball.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Oh my god a naked body! What has the world come to. loving pervs.

You americans are really the prudest bunch of weirdos.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Hey hey don't lump me in with the crazy Puritans who get verklempt when they see a nude sculpture or physiology textbook.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

mike12345 posted:

This conversation has come up incredibly often, so here's the short version.

Boobs are fine and good. Having to put boobs in every situation including tabletop gaming and miniatures starts to get skeevy in a hurry, particularly if the goon in question is planning to put those titty miniatures out in public display or onto a table with folks who just want to game and not look at titty minis. Prudishness really has nothing to do with it so much as context.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The hasslefree guy has said before that he sculpts all his minis from nude up.

That explains why the nude version of one of his KS figures is in a different pose that shows off her tits better.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god you americans are such loving prudes *pulls out and sets down on table his collection of cum-stained nude miniatures*

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mike12345 posted:

what purpose do naked miniatures serve for you at your D&D table? or do you put them up on a shelf for your friends to admire when they come over?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
*A man gestures broadly at a half dozen inch high plastic women on his bookshelf* "now this kickstarter offered three versions of the figures but as a consumer of fine Greco-Roman art I was obligated to buy them all fully nude"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Nuns with Guns posted:

what purpose do naked miniatures serve for you at your D&D table? or do you put them up on a shelf for your friends to admire when they come over?

The fact you require nudity to have a purpose is really weird.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Some people just demand that level of verisimilitude for their Gor games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh good! Anti-sexism is being confused with prudishness, again. I've missed this juvenile argument, and I pray it goes on for many pages and spreads to other threads, too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

mike12345 posted:

Do u paint bush on these ladies or do they shave.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mike12345 posted:

If you're including it in your goddamn elfgames, yeah, it needs a purpose. Go back to Reddit or whatever hole you climbed out of.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

alg posted:

Do u paint bush on these ladies or do they shave.

Who cares

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Arivia posted:

If you're including it in your goddamn elfgames, yeah, it needs a purpose. Go back to Reddit or whatever hole you climbed out of.

no u

Serf
May 5, 2011

mike12345 posted:

The quest for purpose is a central element of the human condition my dude

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

mike12345 posted:

Weirder or less weird than bringing your stroke material to the gaming table?

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
Bitbox seems about to ship. If anyone who backed is going to get rid of a Chaos in the Old World box, PM me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Sorry you guys can't handle the mature and adult art works like a mature adult such as myself likes to enjoy. Sounds like someone has some growing up to do :smug:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
In an ideal world, nude minis would be NBD.

In a hobby where objectification and alienation of women is an ongoing and persistent issue, it's more of a factor, particularly when the norm in minis is to solely depict them as pinup models with tits akimbo. Things are slowly changing in that regard, but slowly. It has less to do with the relative amount of clothing (though that is a factor) and more half the population being depicted overwhelmingly as gently caress targets.

As far as pinup stuff goes this seems relatively harmless but there's just a larger picture where a lot of folks are either just annoyed or tired of this sort of thing. Even if you don't agree with the sexism angle there's more than a small degree of oversaturation, and this KS in particular seems like it's delivering the fully clothed versions almost as a form of apology more than anything else. When you have the pinup outfit right next to it, it reeks of wanting to eat your cheesecake and have it afterwards, so to speak.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Got my copy of Secret Hitler in. Gonna play it this weekend and see if I regret it or not. At the very least, I got the wooden President and Chancellor placards

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mike12345 posted:

Most people have a reson for ponying up for a kickstarter and this definitely isn't an "art doesn't need a reason to exist" situation b/c the stated goal of offering the peanut gallery minis alongside ones with clothes is to sell boobies to nerds, not to cater to cultured europeans

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

In better minis news, Stonehaven are back at it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehavens-giants

I picked up their Halflings and was fairly impressed with the sculpt quality and clean casts so I'll be watching this with interest.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zark the Damned posted:

In better minis news, Stonehaven are back at it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehavens-giants

I picked up their Halflings and was fairly impressed with the sculpt quality and clean casts so I'll be watching this with interest.

I got the Treant in the Halfling project and it's fab, plus it's like 80mm tall, those are 50mm bases all those giants are sitting on

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pinnacle's going to be launching a KS tomorrow for a 20th Anniversary edition of Deadlands. It's set to launch at noon Eastern, and there's going to be $200 limited edition box sets available. So, you know, head's up if you're interested.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

mike12345 posted:

le honh honh yeew uncultured ameericans require a raison for your teetees. in my europe we require no raison to see a teetee or arrest women for hijabz.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pinnacle's going to be launching a KS tomorrow for a 20th Anniversary edition of Deadlands. It's set to launch at noon Eastern, and there's going to be $200 limited edition box sets available. So, you know, head's up if you're interested.

Is it the original game, or are they doing something similar to the White Wolf 20s? I don't know if I have enough nostagia available to buy anything like that, but it could be interesting to see them go over that stuff one more time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thelazyblank posted:

Is it the original game, or are they doing something similar to the White Wolf 20s? I don't know if I have enough nostagia available to buy anything like that, but it could be interesting to see them go over that stuff one more time.
Classic version. No word if it's going to be a rules cleanup, but Pinnacle didn't really give any details apart from this:

quote:

$200 Classic Boxed Set: hardcover, signed and numbered, of Deadlands Classic 20th Anniversary Edition; double deck of cards; Fate Chips; and a new Deadlands dice set + Deadlands leather dice bag! Limited to 200 so pledge quickly!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
As an American, I think there should be a version of the minis with giant fuckoff guns. AR-16s, Desert Eagle Mark XIXs, Thompson M1928s, and of course M60 GPMGs.

Edit: Fuckin' A. The one name I didn't look up.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 13, 2016

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

As an American, I think there should be a version of the minis with giant fuckoff guns. AR-16s, Desert Eagle Mark XIXs, Thompson M1928s, and of course M60 GPMGs.

As man who likes titties and guns I concur, but it's an M-16 or AR-15

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zark the Damned posted:

Nice. I skipped out on the halflings and half-orcs, but I was in on the three before that, and none of them were bad. I'll probably grab a couple of giants, the whole set gets a bit pricy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dinosaur Satan posted:

Bitbox seems about to ship. If anyone who backed is going to get rid of a Chaos in the Old World box, PM me.

It's not about to ship at all, though? They said that they won't start to manufacture until Pledge Managers are finalized, and I'm not going to finalize my Pledge Manager until those user tests start coming in. Maybe I can devote an entire BitBox to Cthulhu Wars...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Anyone with experience of using 3D tiles (like dwarven forge) able to give advice on how much 'table coverage' you need to be usable?

I'm trying to finalise the pledge manager for the secret weapon kickstarter. Inputs:

Core sets have 1.8 square feet of pieces (~1.5 for a DF set from KS 1 with all stretch goals, though DF has more 'set dressing')
I run mostly 4E with some OSR and other games

Kinda wondering how many core sets to get? Feels like 3 to 5 is the right answer. Crudely calculating (assuming 25% of the map is empty space) 4 sets would cover a 3 x 3 play area with some pieces left over, which almost feels like overkill.