Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

Are you being a poo poo or ignoring the fact that she is literally Patricia Walker and played a character called Patsy on a television show? It's literally a plot point she started calling herself Trish instead of Patsy to differ herself from that?

And they straight up have a guy ask her to sign a Pasty Walker comic. They made her into a Miley Cyrus/Hillary Duff style disney channel star as Patsy Walker who clearly had a whole bunch of merch, but when she grew up and got out from under her mothers thumb she dyed her red hair blond and started going by Trish to get away from her early career and to be taken seriously.

I like the detail that in JJ she is learning Krav Maga, which is Hellcats fighting style.

Maybe season 2 will have Damien Hellstrum show up? I mean if they're doing Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange they can totally go with magical stuff. Though I'd love them to do the Leth series, i'm okay with the way she's been done in Jessica Jones.

Dario the Wop posted:

Most likely. Not that JJ is a bad character at all, I just think it would be interesting to see her go from detective to Spider-Woman to Skrull abductee.

Spoilered in case anyone hasn't read New Avengers during Secret Invasion.

I think everyone knows that she was the Skrull Queen. I cannot remember, was is O'Grady or Lang Ant-Man that was "ooh those are big boobs, but they're Skrull boobs" when infiltrating some Skrull base. I feel like it was O'Grady because he tended to peep on women as Ant-Man.

I really, really, REALLY want Jessica Drew in Captain Marvel. I mean, their friendship is one of the most defining aspects of the character along with her USAF positions and power losses.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dario the Wop posted:

Most likely. Not that JJ is a bad character at all, I just think it would be interesting to see her go from detective to Spider-Woman to Skrull abductee.

Spoilered in case anyone hasn't read New Avengers during Secret Invasion.

I really love both Jessicas Drew and Jones but considering Spider-Woman's on an all-time classic run of the character and dealing with pregnancy and the challenges of motherhood in a totally different but still valid way than Alias/The Pulse/post-Pulse JJ did I think the way it settled out only boosted both characters.

Plus there was that road trip arc where her and Ben Urich basically go cross-country Scooby-Doo-ing, so it's sorta like you get the whole "detective Spider-Woman" arc anyways.

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe season 2 will have Damien Hellstrum show up? I mean if they're doing Ghost Rider and Doctor Strange they can totally go with magical stuff. Though I'd love them to do the Leth series, i'm okay with the way she's been done in Jessica Jones.

If season 2 of JJ brings in Daimon Hellstrom, fans of the TV show will loving riot. It will be the "people complaining about ninjas in Daredevil" stuff times a thousand.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 12, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress those people though. Go full comic book and never look back

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People complained about the ninjas in Daredevil because they were done badly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

And what about that goddamned hole they were digging!?!?!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Sure, but the complaint wasn't "The ninjas in DD were done badly", it was mostly "It makes no sense for ninjas to be in DD and it totally breaks immersion". I don't disagree that the ninjas in DD season 2 could've been handled better, at the very least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

And what about that goddamned hole they were digging!?!?!

They needed to get out of a hole

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Toxxupation posted:

Sure, but the complaint wasn't "The ninjas in DD were done badly", it was mostly "It makes no sense for ninjas to be in DD and it totally breaks immersion". I don't disagree that the ninjas in DD season 2 could've been handled better, at the very least.

things being handled badly can break immersion, and then people go THIS SHOULDN'T BE IN MY DAREDEVIL AUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Anyway I wish people wrote better stories. The End.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really like the JJ show and I love Patsy Walker, but having season 2 be about Patsy going to hell and having damion and all that poo poo would be really incredibly dumb

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Considering there's already been like 3 Run the Jewels themed variants and a whole month of hip hop covers, I'm shocked it's taken this long to do one with Cage and Iron Fist. Seems like a no brainer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just wish Iron Fist, being the El-P of the duo, was the one doing the hand signal and Luke Cage/Killer Mike was holding the necklace.

ed: Oh huh, El-P actually does the fist portion pretty frequently, never mind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Nobody said that. They said that they were done badly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm reading Jenkins' Inhumans through Marvel Unlimited and this is really good stuff.

Edit - Is there any reason Alias isn't available on here? I'd really like to read it.

Roth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 12, 2016

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Roth posted:

Edit - Is there any reason Alias isn't available on here? I'd really like to read it.

Not on Unlimited, but I'd assume it's because it was a MAX release.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ub posted:

Not on Unlimited, but I'd assume it's because it was a MAX release.

Yep. That and Punisher Max because they are "adult".

I'm pretty sure I've stumbled onto a couple MAX titles in MU and there is that ultra violent and gory wolverine title on MU that is 1000% worse than Alias.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guess I'll just wait for a comixology sale then.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of...
Lee+Kirby and Steranko Nick Fury collections are on sale.
https://www.comixology.com/SHIELD-Collections-Sale/page/12251?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Those Hyperion panels made me feel guilty I only do Unlimited now because Super Hero on a Road Trip is always great.

Ferrule posted:

Never forget Atlantis Attacks

I've talked about this before but the What-If of the crossover is really something else.

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 13, 2016

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Steranko collection includes the first four-page spread in the history of comics. Yes, if you wanted to see it in all its glory, you originally had to buy two copies of the comic and have them side-by-side.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I bought em both and do not regret it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Do the Iron Man books get good when Fraction takes over? Director of SHEILD Iron Man is dire.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yes. The first two arcs (The Five Nightmares, and Worlds Most Wanted) are both awesome. Can't really say much after that. My interest kind of petered out after a while.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DigitalRaven posted:

The Steranko collection includes the first four-page spread in the history of comics. Yes, if you wanted to see it in all its glory, you originally had to buy two copies of the comic and have them side-by-side.

Had fold-out pages not been invented yet or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Now run isn't without its moments. I really enjoyed the Rings of the Mandarin because it leads into Iron Man vs Malekith.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Had fold-out pages not been invented yet or something?
I can't think of a single DC or Marvel comic from like before the 80s that had an interior fold-out. That lovely newsprint sure seems like it wouldn't be able to hold up, at least. I tried to find online which American comic was the first to have a fold-out page and I'm not succeeding.

The Outsiders #1 from 1985 had a pretty great interior fold-out to open up the issue, but it was on higher-quality Baxter paper. This is the earliest one I can think of for mainstream comics.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
WildC.A.T.s #5 had fold-outs like that, which was published circa '93. Not sure if it's the first.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

I can't think of a single DC or Marvel comic from like before the 80s that had an interior fold-out. That lovely newsprint sure seems like it wouldn't be able to hold up, at least. I tried to find online which American comic was the first to have a fold-out page and I'm not succeeding.

It's gotta be MAD or Playboy right? And Playboy's first issue had a centerfold, so by the 60s they had to be a thing in magazines that were done.

The cheap stock of the paper in comics had to be the reason (and/or the increased cost of printing a fold-out double page), though, so you're still right.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

It's gotta be MAD or Playboy right? And Playboy's first issue had a centerfold, so by the 60s they had to be a thing in magazines that were done.
I'm not saying it was never done in other types of periodicals, I'm just curious which comic book had the first fold-out for Maximum Whoa.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

I'm not saying it was never done in other types of periodicals, I'm just curious which comic book had the first fold-out for Maximum Whoa.

Oh, sorry, misunderstood. Yeah, it's gotta be at the earliest mid-eighties right? Especially with the Millerization of comics and the increased focus on movielike presentation of comics (that would eventually lead to widescreen and decompression), that's probably when they'd justify it in a comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Yes. The first two arcs (The Five Nightmares, and Worlds Most Wanted) are both awesome. Can't really say much after that. My interest kind of petered out after a while.

Thanks. I'll power through the last few issues before this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

The Now run isn't without its moments. I really enjoyed the Rings of the Mandarin because it leads into Iron Man vs Malekith.

The Now run is pretty good, I'd say, but you do have to be willing to suffer through Land art so take that into consideration if Land is a deal breaker for you.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Mr Hootington posted:

Thanks. I'll power through the last few issues before this.

The next two arcs are pretty good as well. Then Fear Itself ruins everything. Then its pretty bad up until the last arc or so.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

trashbuilder posted:

Then Fear Itself ruins everything

Wasn't that when he was getting the Asgard weapons and drinking? I remember that being pretty good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 13, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

trashbuilder posted:

The next two arcs are pretty good as well. Then Fear Itself ruins everything. Then its pretty bad up until the last arc or so.

Can't be much worse than post extremist to end of director of shield and extremis wasn't great either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Honestly while I can't call most of the Iron Man stories I've read in the past decade "bad", it's weird how little I remember about any of them except Extremis.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Morrison's X-Men worth reading?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Absolutely.
The worst thing about it was Quitely being replaced by a series of pretty uninspired artists.
Try to not look into it too much. You'll get the big twist spoiled.

e: And then, if you hadn't read it already, follow Fantomex into Uncanny X-Force :cheers:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 13, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Is Morrison's X-Men worth reading?

Uh yeah.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly while I can't call most of the Iron Man stories I've read in the past decade "bad", it's weird how little I remember about any of them except Extremis.

Happy is fridged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Happy is fridged

Who's Happy?

• Locked thread