Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Somebody else suggested that all would have been perfectly fine until that guy reached up and grabbed the cable and pulled it tight, whihc he wasn't supposed to do

holy poo poo, you're right, but I still don't understand what the plan was; they couldn't have landed without the cable hitting the rotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Theophany posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI

That dude didn't seem very well harnessed into the helicopter but I did lol at those guys watching in the foreground reacting way to late.

Well that's going straight onto the list of "Sounds I hope I never hear in real life"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

blarzgh posted:

I just can't get over how 20 loving people were just completely oblivious about that cable. Its crushing my brain.

Is that the dude right under the wreckage?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is that the dude right under the wreckage?

I think he tugs on the cable, sees the pop in the rotor, starts running to the left, but then turns and dives away, and to the right. You can see him get up off the ground behind the wreck; he's wearing a yellow thing on his right shoulder that was hidden at first.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I think he tugs on the cable, sees the pop in the rotor, starts running to the left, but then turns and dives away, and to the right. You can see him get up off the ground behind the wreck; he's wearing a yellow thing on his right shoulder that was hidden at first.

Didn't notice him at all the first few times I watched- probably due to his lack of high-viz and PPE

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Volcott posted:

Calmly walking the other way has probably saved a bunch of people from gruesome deaths over the course of human history.

You can't let whatever your escaping know you're on to it.

The other option is to calmly walk TOWARDS the danger to show it who's boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YGCHarFhc&t=31s

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

A classmate of mine from high-school was killed due to a picker hitting an overhead transmission power line while they were logging. The tires on the truck caught on fire as it was winter and the snow was deep enough to make a circuit. He saw the fire and had no idea what the problem was. He grabbed the fire extinguisher on the side of the truck and was dead instantaneously. The other loggers tried CPR until an ambulance showed up, but he was DRT.

They guys that attempted CPR are lucky they didn't die themselves.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mostlygray posted:

A classmate of mine from high-school was killed due to a picker hitting an overhead transmission power line while they were logging. The tires on the truck caught on fire as it was winter and the snow was deep enough to make a circuit. He saw the fire and had no idea what the problem was. He grabbed the fire extinguisher on the side of the truck and was dead instantaneously. The other loggers tried CPR until an ambulance showed up, but he was DRT.

They guys that attempted CPR are lucky they didn't die themselves.

At that point its like "wtf magic is going on???! NO DONT TOUCH HIM! He may still have residual magic on him and you could get it on yourself too if you touch him!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

spog posted:

Somebody else suggested that all would have been perfectly fine until that guy reached up and grabbed the cable and pulled it tight, whihc he wasn't supposed to do

:eyepop:

I didn't even see that guy, what the actual gently caress

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The craziest thing is how the cameraman keeps it all perfectly in frame.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volcott posted:

Calmly walking the other way has probably saved a bunch of people from gruesome deaths over the course of human history.
The other day a professor who should loving know better opened a water hose 20cm away from a burly AF electric pump's vents. I almost got physical.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Roger Craig posted:

Isn't a big cloud of flour really flammable?

FLOUR AND GRAAAAAAIIIINNN!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4ct0ia9IQ

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Robot Lincoln posted:

The craziest thing is how the cameraman keeps it all perfectly in frame.

You know the cameraman is the guy with a white hardhat running across frame at the moment of impact, and the camera's being held on a tripod, right?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You know the cameraman is the guy with a white hardhat running across frame at the moment of impact, and the camera's being held on a tripod, right?

Yes??? You know we aren't viewing this event through some kind of magical interdimensional portal and that there was in fact a second person filming there, right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Except for the cameraman who's running just before the cable gets caught by the rotor.

He was actually running to get a better angle. That's his shakier footage that the clip cuts to right as the helicopter hits. He's also one of the first climbing into the wreckage for a rescue!

If you watch in slow motion, you can see how their restraints just barely kept the pilot from being whipped to the ground. He comes almost completely out of the helicopter during the spin.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Robot Lincoln posted:

Yes??? You know we aren't viewing this event through some kind of magical interdimensional portal and that there was in fact a second person filming there, right?

Still one guy controlling both cameras, but yeah he had some balls stopping to get a second angle.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Must be an instinct ingrained in film school. I wonder how many photographers' last words have been "This is gonna be a great shot!"?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Good camera people in war zones, disaster situations, and reality TV are professionals on a level that I aspire to.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That's the preliminary report so it's pretty much all the guys fault. I remember this being on the news a while ago, the guy in the pilot seat blacked out from the force too but was otherwise uninjured.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well that's going straight onto the list of "Sounds I hope I never hear in real life"

Kinda sounded like a bass-er version of the pistol from Goldeneye.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Spiteski posted:

That's the preliminary report so it's pretty much all the guys fault. I remember this being on the news a while ago, the guy in the pilot seat blacked out from the force too but was otherwise uninjured.

The final report is also linked and is quite short:

quote:

Abstract
At approximately 1015 hours New Zealand Daylight Time on 23 November 2011, the pilot of
ZK-HIG, an Aerospatiale AS350B2 helicopter, was engaged in a lifting operation at the
Auckland Viaduct Harbour. The objective of the operation was to raise the tower of the
Auckland Christmas tree from the ground into a vertical position, to allow ground personnel
to secure the base of the tower.
After the tower was secured the helicopter descended slowly toward the ground. The
helicopter then hovered approximately five metres above the ground, adjacent to the tower.
While the helicopter was hovering a loud bang was heard and the helicopter fell to the ground
with the engine still running. Once the helicopter came to rest the pilot was extracted from
the wreckage almost immediately, by ground personnel standing close by.
Factual Information
The helicopter operator was engaged by the rigging contractor for the purpose of erecting the
tower for the Auckland Christmas tree located at Auckland’s Viaduct Harbour.
The plan was for two lifts to be conducted. The first lift was to raise the tower from the
horizontal into the vertical position using an SK75 Spectra lifting line, the tower pivoting on
two pins in the base. Then, once in the vertical position, two more pins were to be inserted
into the base corners and three temporary cable stays would be applied to hold the tower in
place. The lifting line would then be released from the helicopter’s hook. The second lift
would follow to position the ‘star’ ornament onto the top of the tower.
The first lift proceeded well, until it came time to release the lifting line from the helicopter’s
hook. The pilot then descended the helicopter toward the ground. The pilot was in radio
communication with the rigging supervisor who was standing underneath the helicopter and
his spotter.
When the helicopter hovered at approximately five metres above the ground, the rigging
supervisor was seen to jump up and grab the lifting line which was sagging below the
helicopter.
The act of pulling downwards on the lifting line to release it from the helicopter’s hook
instantly tightened the lifting line, which was still attached to the top of the adjacent tower,
and the lifting line came into contact with the main rotor blades. The force of the impact of
the main rotor blades on the lifting line caused massive out of balance forces within the
helicopter’s rotating components, which resulted in the loss of the structural integrity of the
helicopter whilst in flight. The helicopter then fell to the ground. All parties managed to
escape without injury.
Injuries to persons
The accident did not result in any appreciable physical injury to any person.
Weather conditions
On the day, the wind was predominantly 10 to 15 knots from the North with good visibility.
Wreckage and impact information
The main rotor blades exhibited signs of significant impact with the hard surface of the
pavement. The three arms on the main rotor ‘starflex’ were sheared by the impact forces.
The main rotor transmission and the tail boom had separated from the helicopter. The
fuselage of the helicopter had come to rest close to the Christmas tree tower, facing in the
opposite direction to that which it was facing at the time of the main rotor blade impact with
the lifting line. The pilot’s seat had separated from the helicopter during the accident
sequence.
Contributing Factors
The safety investigation revealed that the SK75 Spectra lifting line did not release normally
from the helicopter’s hook when commanded, after the tower lift. This was primarily due to
the attachment of the lifting line fixed loop directly to the hook, instead of using a shackle and
chain arrangement between the lifting line and the hook.

I guess the minutes saved by not climbing the tower and detaching the line there was worth it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

quote:

Contributing Factors
The safety investigation revealed that the SK75 Spectra lifting line did not release normally
from the helicopter’s hook when commanded, after the tower lift. This was primarily due to
the attachment of the lifting line fixed loop directly to the hook, instead of using a shackle and
chain arrangement between the lifting line and the hook.

Wouldn't this have been the rigging supervisor's responsibility? So first the dude fucks up on attaching the line, and then he fucks up again trying to remove it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slanderer posted:

Wouldn't this have been the rigging supervisor's responsibility? So first the dude fucks up on attaching the line, and then he fucks up again trying to remove it.

What a moron.

I like that for the explanatory graphic they gave him the helmet and safety vest he was probably supposed to be wearing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Robot Lincoln posted:

Must be an instinct ingrained in film school. I wonder how many photographers' last words have been "This is gonna be a great shot!"?

You kinda just forget what's happening isn't just an event on a stage for you to capture; the only thing dividing you from the action is a camera.

This is how I fell into a flood-swollen creek when the bank washed out from under me.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love how the entire helicopter just kinda disassembles in midair at the first shock.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Robot Lincoln posted:

As I recall, director John Ford was wounded by shrapnel during the Battle of Midway because he had set up his camera near a large hanger, since he figured the Japanese would probably bomb it and wanted to get some good shots of it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There's a shot of the train in High Noon, when it's on its final approach to the station, which is taken from the tracks in front of it. I remember seeing a documentary about the film claiming that something went wrong when they were filming that, and the train just ran over and destroyed the camera, but they were able to recover the film.

There were two people standing with the camera, and they all got away, but it was the one who was not actually filming who started to say, "I think it's not stopping," and the one who was that kept saying "it's fine, this is a great shot."

e: There's some great OSHA stories from those old films. A handful of people died filming the avalanche scene in Lost Horizon, achieved using the amazing practical effect of triggering a real loving avalanche, jesus christ.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 13, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

What a moron.

I like that for the explanatory graphic they gave him the helmet and safety vest he was probably supposed to be wearing.

There's like 0 tolerance on the length of that cable. They'd probably be hosed even if he hadn't pulled on it. The only way the would have been able to get the cable off safely would have been to climb the tower.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slanderer posted:

You had one job. ONE JOB.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

You kinda just forget what's happening isn't just an event on a stage for you to capture; the only thing dividing you from the action is a camera.

This is how I fell into a flood-swollen creek when the bank washed out from under me.

But enough on your documentary about your mom's heavy flow...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

What a moron.

This is what I don't get; what was the goddamn plan? Because...

Rectus posted:

There's like 0 tolerance on the length of that cable. They'd probably be hosed even if he hadn't pulled on it. The only way the would have been able to get the cable off safely would have been to climb the tower.

Someone smarter than me please explain

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The idea was probably to have pull man pull it to the side once there was enough slack available, but he got over-excited.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

blarzgh posted:

The cable didn't release when it was supposed to so that guy tried to pull it loose

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

blarzgh posted:

It was meant to release from the hook on the helicopter, but didn't due to improper rigging. He was hovering at low altitude either to drop the cable, or so that the people on the ground could check why it was stuck. The backup plan was to detach the other end of the cable, not to give it a yank.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's a shot of the train in High Noon, when it's on its final approach to the station, which is taken from the tracks in front of it. I remember seeing a documentary about the film claiming that something went wrong when they were filming that, and the train just ran over and destroyed the camera, but they were able to recover the film.

There were two people standing with the camera, and they all got away, but it was the one who was not actually filming who started to say, "I think it's not stopping," and the one who was that kept saying "it's fine, this is a great shot."

e: There's some great OSHA stories from those old films. A handful of people died filming the avalanche scene in Lost Horizon, achieved using the amazing practical effect of triggering a real loving avalanche, jesus christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32b9m7CeJfQ
The blue flashes around 1:17 are from the avalanche destroying an electrical station.

Also, this is not the OSHA avalanche video I was looking for, but it's certainly as OSHA as Russia can get.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 13, 2016

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Robot Lincoln posted:

Here is the oldest one I've ever come across, from WWI:
http://imgur.com/yHNGdlE

the fellow in the middle there is the photographer whose lens we're looking through, and the photo was snapped at the instant an artillery shell hit beside him and killed him. I assume he was holding the clicker for the shutter while setting up his picture.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rectus posted:

There's like 0 tolerance on the length of that cable.

The schematic is *probably* not drawn to scale.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Phanatic posted:

The schematic is *probably* not drawn to scale.

They put the mast and cable lengths in there though. Even looking at the video, there is no way for them to reach and pull the cable by hand without clipping the rotors unless they hover/land the helicopter right next to the mast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CannonFodder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32b9m7CeJfQ
The blue flashes around 1:17 are from the avalanche destroying an electrical station.

Also, this is not the OSHA avalanche video I was looking for, but it's certainly as OSHA as Russia can get.

I would, 100% seriously, leave my home and move to the snow if someone offered me a job shooting cannons at mountains.