Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

A Plastic Man movie would own

Now you're taking some sense yaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yaws posted:

A Plastic Man movie would own

Starring Plastic Man as Princess Diana's bathrobe.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Detective No. 27 posted:

The best thing to come out of Identity Crisis was the death of Billy Batson.

When did this happen? Having trouble googling it and I don't remember this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

When did this happen? Having trouble googling it and I don't remember this.

It was easy to miss, it was the only Identity Crisis book that was any good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The audio commentary for X-Men Apocalypse by Kinberg and Singer confirms that the villain referenced in the post-credits scene will be in the next Wolverine movie. It means that Richard E Grant is very likely playing Nathaniel Essex (Mr Sinister)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The audio commentary for X-Men Apocalypse by Kinberg and Singer confirms that the villain referenced in the post-credits scene will be in the next Wolverine movie. It means that Richard E Grant is very likely playing Nathaniel Essex (Mr Sinister)

If true, this is like, a top 5 casting decision ever for a comic book movie.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Speaking of, I watched XMen Apocalypse for the first time over the weekend. Boy, that sure was a stinker. Should've heeded the thread's advice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If true, this is like, a top 5 casting decision ever for a comic book movie.

Yeah, but it's for the X-men, a series that has become profoundly boring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drifter posted:

Yeah, but it's for the X-men, a series that has become profoundly boring.

I liked the last Wolverine movie well enough and James Mangold's coming back for this one, I'm optimistic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I liked the last Wolverine movie well enough and James Mangold's coming back for this one, I'm optimistic.

The last wolverine movie him in WW1 or him in Tokyo?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drifter posted:

The last wolverine movie him in WW1 or him in Tokyo?

the Japan one, I never saw the first one, heard it sucked.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Every Frame a Painting video on music in the MCU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Japan one, I never saw the first one, heard it sucked.

It did. The Japan one is the one to watch and that one was just okay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It did. The Japan one is the one to watch and that one was just okay.

I dug it. Nice low-stakes throwback action movie. Kinda reminded me of The Punisher '04 in that way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, ever since the soft reboot of the X-movies with First Class, Apocalypse is the only one that I didn't like, and even that at least had some good things within it. X-3 and Wolverine 1 remain the low points of the series by far.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Origins is like one solid stride away from a fitting riff on Total Recall that just doesn't quite land. Still funnier than Deadpool in a lot of ways, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dug it. Nice low-stakes throwback action movie. Kinda reminded me of The Punisher '04 in that way.

I like most of The Wolverine besides Viper being in it. She is so unbelievably useless in that movie.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yaws posted:

Pro click.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

I like most of The Wolverine besides Viper being in it. She is so unbelievably useless in that movie.

Stupid, pointless character.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Yaws posted:

True, the one exception being "The Star-Spangled Man" from the first Captain America. That gets stuck in my head periodically.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

One thing, though, is that I can't really recall the music to almost any movies except Star Wars and Fight Club, but the former because I watched it seven hundred times as a child, and it's ingrained in our culture, and the second because I'm an idiot and watched it like five hundred times as an angsty teenager.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

oh yeah she sucks, but she gets a pretty great death scene at least.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One thing, though, is that I can't really recall the music to almost any movies except Star Wars and Fight Club, but the former because I watched it seven hundred times as a child, and it's ingrained in our culture, and the second because I'm an idiot and watched it like five hundred times as an angsty teenager.

I'm going to bet you can recall at least a small piece of Inception's music.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Even with just John Williams' movies there's gotta be more than that. But no Elfman? Silvestri?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah as much as I like EFaP and like more analysis of Marvel, his set up doesn't match his thesis. Movies can have excellent scores that the person-on-the-street won't be able to hum, and being able to hum them doesn't make a song good.

The thing about temp music is really good tho and it is weird that no Marvel hero has a really recognizable theme (like, on the level of Burton's Batman or Donner's Superman), but I don't think those are necessarily congruent points.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even if you can't recall the exact melody I bet there are a ton where you can recall the general instrumentation, mood, genre where applicable. Marvel movie soundtracks (along with a ton of others, that's true) are just kind of vaguely orchestral and indistinct. Except for the Captain America theme, that's actually slightly memorable.

e: it's not all about recognizable themes, either. That rescored Thor scene?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Outside of Fury Road and maybe one or two others I didn't find any music from movies I've seen lately memorable at all. In BvS the only one that stood out was the psuedo-Fury Road music that started playing when Batman was being attacked by the SWAT team.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Outside of Fury Road and maybe one or two others I didn't find any music from movies I've seen lately memorable at all. In BvS the only one that stood out was the psuedo-Fury Road music that started playing when Batman was being attacked by the SWAT team.

Really? Wonder Woman's theme and Lex's theme blast inside my head randomly all the time.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I'd add the part where Zod's theme kicks up when Clark's powers come back in the Batman fight and the WW theme (which also had a pretty Fury Road vibe to it).

Edit: Beaten on the WW theme.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm on record as hating basically everything about BvS, but Zimmer's Superman theme is very good.

That being said, the idea that a good movie theme has to be "hummable" is one of those things only people who don't get music say.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'd add the part where Zod's theme kicks up when Clark's powers come back in the Batman fight and the WW theme (which also had a pretty Fury Road vibe to it).

Edit: Beaten on the WW theme.

I also really like the Superman song during the montage with Supes dragging the boat and saving the people in the flood, but I think that's a bit of rehashed music from MoS. (could be wrong tho)

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That being said, the idea that a good movie theme has to be "hummable" is one of those things only people who don't get music say.

I agree with ya here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Really? Wonder Woman's theme and Lex's theme blast inside my head randomly all the time.

Beyond it being a cello and a fiddle respectively (I think) I couldn't tell you what they were. I do recall really liking Interstellar's soundtrack, but I can't really recall most of it either.

Not that any of it is bad or anything, it just doesn't stick.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I couldn't hum the Terminator theme but gimme any kind of rhythm instrument and I bet you you're gonna recognize it instantly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ok, now that I'm forced to think about it:

Donner's Superman theme
BvS Wonder Woman's theme
Snatch sound track
Batman 89
Star Trek TMP

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I bet if we played you a few themes you'd probably be able to pick which movies they came from. You'd probably be able to pick most of them even if we hummed them to you.

The same couldn't be said of most of the MCU themes. Try listening to these without looking at the graphics and try to identify where they came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiQSpaYSLM

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Beyond it being a cello and a fiddle respectively (I think) I couldn't tell you what they were. I do recall really liking Interstellar's soundtrack, but I can't really recall most of it either.

Gotcha, thought you were making judgement on quality.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I bet if we played you a few themes you'd probably be able to pick which movies they came from. You'd probably be able to pick most of them even if we hummed them to you.

The same couldn't be said of most of the MCU themes. Try listening to these without looking at the graphics and try to identify where they came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiQSpaYSLM

I don't doubt that, but I was more referring to his man on the street segments, which are just a temp segment based on RLM's TPM review man on the streets.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I liked Fury from Winter Soldier, but it mainly stands out because it's not a generic orchestra song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibFOFrp4A8s

It's probably not that loud in the actual movie, especially since you have Sam Jackson shouting and guns being fired.

RBA Starblade posted:

If you watched it in the theater you'll definitely remember "Stay". They turned up the volume for the final minute and half of that one, it got LOUD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca_Cv7seV4Y

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 12, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't doubt that, but I was more referring to his man on the street segments, which are just a temp segment based on RLM's TPM review man on the streets.

It reminded me of the RLM segment as well. I think they're a fun way to introduce an idea (MCU has lovely music, TPM has lovely characters) and then go on to flesh out the argument but yeah, it doesn't quite stand up on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This conversation reminds me of the Whitest Kids U Know skit about John Williams coming up with music and just humming to himself all day.

• Locked thread